View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 3rd, 2014, 1:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Which QB do the Lions draft? 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Which QB do the Lions draft?
Lions short on arms

But drafting QB early isn't in plans

April 22, 2005 BY CURT SYLVESTER
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Steve Mariucci sounded a little like a baseball manager Thursday: He needs a few more good arms.

"You know, last year we had five quarterbacks in training camp," Mariucci said. "You remember Fife and Curt Anes, so we had five arms.

"We only have two on board right now, so that pitching staff we referred to needs to be filled out. We've got two guys that are veteran guys in Joey and Jeff, and after that we're probably going to have -- if we bring in five to training camp -- three rookies.

"Last year, Mariucci's training camp rotation included Joey Harrington, Mike McMahon, Rick Mirer, Anes and Jason Fife.

This year, the rotation consists of Harrington and Jeff Garcia. Period.

Barring a startling development, the Lions probably won't add to their pitching staff in the early rounds of the draft Saturday.

They seem focused on a defensive player with their No. 10 pick in the first round -- most likely linebacker Derrick Johnson of Texas, cornerback Antrel Rolle of Miami (Fla.) or defensive end David Pollack of Georgia.

Somewhere along the way, though -- possibly in the third round but more likely in the final four rounds Sunday -- the Lions might draft a quarterback.

"There are some intriguing guys," Mariucci said. "It's not a desperate need for us. We have other needs we would need to address early in the draft, but if there's one there later on, we'd consider doing that.

"Alex Smith of Utah and Aaron Rodgers of California might be the only two quarterbacks taken in the first round, but Charlie Frye of Akron, Jason Campbell of Auburn and Kyle Orton of Purdue probably will last into the second or possibly third round.

Quarterback Adrian McPherson has raised interest around the NFL. McPherson started the final four games of his sophomore season at Florida State before being kicked off the team in 2002 for allegedly stealing and forging a check. He pleaded no contest to the charge, along with a charge of misdemeanor online gambling.

"I've had a half dozen teams contact me, but Detroit wasn't one of them," McPherson said. "I'm surprised that I haven't heard anything from Detroit. I think that would be a good fit for me.

"Many NFL scouts are satisfied that he has matured and does not have long-term character issues, and a season in the Arena Football League picked up some of the slack for the playing time he missed at Florida State.

At 6-feet-4 and 218 pounds, McPherson has the desired size for an NFL quarterback, has natural athletic ability, keeps plays alive with his legs and has a very strong arm.

"He's a guy we have evaluated," Mariucci said. "He has good measurables and he's got what we would all consider a good upside because of his athleticism. He played at a good level in college, has a good arm.

"Somebody's going to take him. ... He's a guy that's going to have a chance to make it in this league.

"Other quarterbacks who might be available in the third round or later include David Greene, a left-hander from Georgia; Ryan Fitzpatrick, a mobile West Coast-type from Harvard; and Gino Guidugli, a four-year starter with good mobility from Cincinnati.

NOTEBOOK: Wide receiver Roy Williams said the left ankle that bothered him through the final three months of the season is as good as new after off-season surgery. "Ready to rock and roll, ready to get this thing started, ready to get into the playoffs," he said. "I'm running and cutting. I've got to get confidence back in it. You're not sure if you're going to be able to cut, but that's slowly growing."
... President Matt Millen was notified that the San Francisco 49ers did not match the Lions' offer to offensive tackle Kyle Kosier, a restricted free agent, which means Kosier is now their property and the 49ers will get the Lions' seventh-round draft pick. Kosier is expected to compete for the starting job on the right side. Matt Joyce, who backed up guards and tackles the past four years, was released to make room for Kosier.
... The Lions will not get restricted free-agent linebacker Brad Kassell of Tennessee. The Titans matched the Lions' offer and kept him.

------------------------------------------>

Curt mentions a half dozen or so QB's in his article this morning, and there are several notable's he didn't speak of. Andrew Walter of Arizona State, Dan Orlovsky of Connecticut, Walter Washington of Temple and media favorite Timmy Chang of Hawaii.

The Lions will draft a QB, but the question is Who and When?

Who do you like and when do you think the Lions will draft them.

IMO, while they don't expect it to happen - if Alex Smith or Aaron Rodgers fell to them at # 10 - M & M would snap them up. After that almost anything is possible but I think they take one by the 3rd round.

April 22nd, 2005, 6:15 am
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

April 22nd, 2005, 6:29 am
RIP Killer

LeFors was awesome against Boise State in the Liberty Bowl last year.

18 for 26, 193 yards, 2 TDs and a pick. 12 rushes for 76 yards, plus the guy laid down some awesome blocks. For being a smaller QB, he's not afraid to take a hit or make a block.

April 22nd, 2005, 7:53 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

If McP is there at round 3, they shouldn't hesitate to snap him up.

April 22nd, 2005, 8:03 am
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I also don't think that they will draft Rogers, and he probably will fall. If Smith falls, they might get him though.

April 22nd, 2005, 8:04 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I agree with bsand2053 - give me McPherson in the 3rd! That will leave me feeling very good about day 1 in the draft.

April 22nd, 2005, 9:09 am
Profile WWW
League MVP

If we could get LeFors in round 6 that would be nice. Otherwise I think Andrew Walter is good value on Day 2 and MacPherson or Orton in rd3 or 4. We only have 5 picks now though so makes it a bit tougher. Might be better off looking at the undrafteds or June1 cuts... Maybe Roy can convince them to go find Major Applewhite whereever he is...

April 22nd, 2005, 11:40 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Good run down Legend. I think their thinking is like that, although I am not sure how high they are on Walter or if they have a coach favorite. Relative to those scenarios I suspect McPherson will be gone before our third pick.

April 22nd, 2005, 11:46 am
RIP Killer

I think as a 3rd stringer, they won't invest anything higher than a 4th rounder in a QB. I personally think MacP is out the question unless he lasts to 4. Frye and Campbell are off my list unless they last until the third. I would like LeFors or Orlovsky in the 6th. Walter would be a great pickup in the third or fourth. I could see Millen taking him over MacP in the 4th if both were available.[/i]

Last edited by conversion02 on April 22nd, 2005, 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 22nd, 2005, 1:25 pm
Hall of Fame Player

... I suspect McPherson will be gone before our third pick.

That is a very real possibility.

April 22nd, 2005, 1:54 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

I think as a 3rd stringer, they won't invest anything higher than a 4th rounder in a QB. I personally think MacP is out the question unless he lasts to 4. Frye and Campbell are off my list unless they last until the third. I would like LeFors or Orlovsky in the 6th. Walter would be a great pickup in the third or fourth. I could see Millen taking him over MacP in the 4th if both were available.

If they believed this QB pick was a 3rd string player - I would agree. I don't know that they (M & M) trust Harrington to deliver this year. Therefore, I'm not so sure they wouldn't bring a QB in as such but end up grooming him for the future if they don't see what they want in Joey.

April 22nd, 2005, 1:59 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Therefore, I'm not so sure they wouldn't bring a QB in as such but end up grooming him for the future if they don't see what they want in Joey.

Well that's it...grooming him for the future. You can get a good player this year on day 2 (Walter possibly, Gino, LeFors, Orlovsky). You give them a year behind Harrington (who has been put through what no young QB should have been put through) and a former Pro-Bowler. I guess I'm just relying on Joey too much and hoping the staff is counting on him as well.

April 22nd, 2005, 2:18 pm
RIP Killer

Here's the deal. The Lions have been looking for a quarterback since...Lane!

There are two "suspect" franchise QBs in this draft - Smith and Rodgers. IMO McPherson's talent level is higher than both. Lefors and the rest that will be available after round 3 are career backups in my mind.

Joey is a big question mark heading into the season. Garcia is on a one-year contract. I want the Lions to bring in a QB who has the potential (upside) to be a "star"ter in this league. AP is that guy. I'm guessing he is pretty high on the Lions draft board.

Once McP is off the board, I don't really care about the rest of the QBs. They can bring in a rookie FA at that point. If that happens and Joey doesn't prove himself I saw mortgage the future and get Leinart next year. However many draft picks that takes.

The rest of the building blocks are in place. McP or bust!

April 22nd, 2005, 3:19 pm
Profile WWW
League MVP

April 22nd, 2005, 4:34 pm
All State

my spidey sense is tingling....hold on....its telling me....orton. new_Eyecrazy.gif

April 22nd, 2005, 5:07 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next