View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 19th, 2014, 10:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 336 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
 DT Ndamukong Suh 
Team MVP

kdsberman wrote:
If Cleveland did want Suh and St. Louis takes Bradford, would Cleveland swap us 1st round picks and also give us some of their third rounders, if not all? And would you do that?

This scenario, like so many others presented on here, reminds me of the old saying 'One in the hand is worth two in the bush'. Or 'Suh in the first is worth two in the 3rd' if you will :lol:

Lol i dont know about being worth 2 in the 3rd. Maybe 2 in the second though.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 20th, 2010, 12:37 pm
NFL Team Captain

I'd be thrilled to swap #1's with Cleveland. That is if we did it this way.

Cleveland get's #2, our second #5 and 2 #7 in this years draft.

We get #7, 2 3rd's this year and a 3rd next year.

Think that would work? With those picks we could dance all over this years draft.

A extra 3rd next year would also help alot as we could move up into the second with our 2 3rd's in a very shallow draft.

Just a thought. Let me finish my beer and I can be even more creative :wink:

March 20th, 2010, 12:54 pm
Team MVP

i dont know if id wanna give up our second though

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

March 20th, 2010, 12:58 pm
NFL Team Captain

I meant our 2nd 5th round pick. Sorry in I made it unclear :oops:

March 20th, 2010, 1:07 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I don't know if Berry will still be on the board for #7, if there is a feeling that he might drop, I'd trade with cleaveland in a flash.

March 20th, 2010, 1:59 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Speculation is that Cleveland doesn't want to part with their 2nd round pick. So, they would have to give up all three of their 3rd rounders plus a couple of later picks to move up from #7 to #2. Amazingly enough, that still wouldn't add up on the outdated Trade Value Chart. It's something that Mayhew might do though IMO.

March 20th, 2010, 2:00 pm
NFL Team Captain

Ok, let me try this again, beacuse I appearantly confused everyone, including myself. I don't think that I mentioned Cleveland's 2nd round pick but at this point in the game, who knows. :oops:

What I'm looking for is what I am praying for is 4 bonified starters and a couple of quality backups.

Here goes;

Cleveland gets our #2 1st Rd.
Plus our 2-7th rounders

We get Cleveland's 1st-#7
2 of their 3rd-----2010
And their 2011 3rd rounder

That would give us 6 picks in the first, and leave us 2 5ths to play with.

Am I nuts or could this work?

March 20th, 2010, 3:06 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Could Lions trade down with Browns?
By NICHOLAS J. COTSONIKA
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

ORLANDO – For a while now, I’ve thought that if the Lions stay at No. 2 in the NFL draft, they most likely will take a defensive tackle: Nebraska’s Ndamukong Suh or Oklahoma’s Gerald McCoy – and probably Suh over McCoy. I’ve thought that Oklahoma State left tackle Russell Okung is another possibility, but more likely in a trade-down scenario.

Well, listen to this: The Browns traded defensive line/linebacker Kamerion Wimbley to the Raiders for a third-round pick, and Michael Lombardi, a former NFL executive, writes at nationalfootballpost.com that the third-rounder will help the Browns maneuver in the draft.

“Now, if the Lions are really interested in moving down, they’ll have a very interested trade partner in Cleveland,” Lombardi writes. “The Browns had to make the move because their ultimate goal is to find a quarterback, and they’ll do whatever it takes to make sure they secure one this year.”

Lombardi adds: “The Lions had talented Saints defensive tackle Anthony Hargrove in for a visit. With the addition of Corey Williams from the Browns, the Lions are looking to continue upgrading their defensive line. If they’re able to secure Hargrove … does this mean they’ll move down in the draft to select an offensive tackle?”

Perhaps. General manager Martin Mayhew has been open about his desire to trade down. He has a history of trading with the Browns. He talked last year about possibly drafting a left tackle and moving Jeff Backus to left guard, and he reiterated this year that Backus could move.

But there are problems with this scenario. The quarterback the Browns want must be there at No. 2. If the Rams take Oklahoma’s Sam Bradford No. 1, do the Browns want to trade up to take Notre Dame’s Jimmy Clausen or Texas’ Colt McCoy at No. 2? And if you’re going to trade up, why not trade with Tampa Bay at No. 3? You’re one salary slot lower, and you’re still one spot ahead of the quarterback-needy Redskins.

The Lions also have to be careful about moving down too far. Okung might not be there at No. 7. The Redskins might be a better trade partner at No. 4, maybe the Seahawks at No. 6.

As Lombardi writes, “The Lions must gain blue-chip players in both lines, so they must make sure that whatever they do, they don’t move away from one of those players. The last thing they want to do is move down and not secure Russell Okung or one of the great defensive tackles. Don’t forget, moving down only works if the team still gets the player, or players, it wants.”

Lions coach Jim Schwartz said pretty much the same thing at the NFL scouting combine.

“Whether you trade down and get more picks or you move up, it’s more about identifying the players and getting players to fit what you do rather than getting more picks or things like that,” Schwartz said then. “More picks aren’t useful if you don’t use them wisely.”

It's beginning to look like Cleveland is the Lions' best trade down opportunity, but will they offer enough?

March 21st, 2010, 2:09 pm
QB Coach

I have a few thoughts about this. If Cleveland is moving up, who are they targeting? Do they really want Bradford or do they want to add a dominating force at DT in Suh. If it's Bradford, I really feel St. Louis is going to take him.

Maybe Cleveland is stockpiling picks because this is such a deep draft and Holmgren thinks he can add quantity and quality.

Lastly, do we want to move down to #7? The first two picks are likely to be some combination of Bradford and Suh. Then at 3 Tampa will take McCoy. At 4 the Skins will either take Claussen or Okung. KC at five is somewhat of a wild card. They could take Berry or Okung or the next best OT if Okung is gone. Then at 6 Seattle will probably focus on the oline. Who does that leave us with at 7? Hayden? Spiller? Maybe Berry if he somehow slips past KC and Seattle? While I want to get some extra picks I don't know that our options at #7 are going to be all that great.

March 21st, 2010, 2:57 pm
RIP Killer

I have a few thoughts about this. If Cleveland is moving up, who are they targeting? Do they really want Bradford or do they want to add a dominating force at DT in Suh. If it's Bradford, I really feel St. Louis is going to take him.

Maybe Cleveland is stockpiling picks because this is such a deep draft and Holmgren thinks he can add quantity and quality.

Lastly, do we want to move down to #7? The first two picks are likely to be some combination of Bradford and Suh. Then at 3 Tampa will take McCoy. At 4 the Skins will either take Claussen or Okung. KC at five is somewhat of a wild card. They could take Berry or Okung or the next best OT if Okung is gone. Then at 6 Seattle will probably focus on the oline. Who does that leave us with at 7? Hayden? Spiller? Maybe Berry if he somehow slips past KC and Seattle? While I want to get some extra picks I don't know that our options at #7 are going to be all that great.

KC at five will either take Bryan Bulaga or Eric Berry. Berry is the higher rated prospect, but Bulaga fills a greater need. Berry won't get past both KC and Seattle. Both have needs at safety, and Berry is just too good to let slide that far. Particularly, Seattle has two first round picks, and KC has two second round picks. Both teams can look at taking Berry, then fulfilling their offensive line needs later on.

Personally, I don't see Cleveland moving up to the second pick. I also don't think Washington takes Clausen. If nothing else, Cleveland may wait and see what Washington does, then tries to arrange a trade with KC to move ahead of Seattle to take Clausen at 5. But Cleveland just signed Delhomme and traded for Wallace. I foresee them taking a QB in the second round, like a Colt McCoy or possibly Tebow.

March 21st, 2010, 3:36 pm
RIP Killer

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Greetings from the Grande Lakes resort area, host of the 2010 NFL owners meeting. I'm told we're minutes from SeaWorld and not far from Disney, but all I can see out of my hotel window is the biggest lagoon pool I've ever seen. Tough times.

I'll be heading over to the meetings in a bit, and for a preview of the likely league-level developments -- including a possible change to playoff overtime rules -- please see this piece from ESPN.com's John Clayton.

For now, I'd like to follow up on our "Have at It" topic from last week, where we discussed the relative value NFL teams place on left tackles compared to defensive tackles. In a mailbag note, Ryan of Cleveland noted one element of the debate we didn't touch on enough:

"The 'best defensive tackle prospect since...' tag has found to be wholly untrue. ... If you take a defensive tackle that high, you're a fool. You take a quarterback, a tackle, a pass rusher, maybe a running back. Or you get out of that spot any way you can."

Last week, we mostly considered the issue in economic terms, but Ryan's point is also valid: The recent history of highly-drafted defensive tackles has not sparkled.

In the chart below, you'll see the top-drafted true defensive tackle in each of the past 10 years. None were taken as high as the No. 2 overall pick Detroit owns in 2010. In fact, you have to go back to 1994 -- when Cincinnati selected Dan Wilkinson -- to find an instance when a team drafted a defensive tackle higher than No. 3 overall.

Highest DT Drafted In Past Decade
Year Position Player Team
2009 No. 9 B.J. Raji Green Bay
2008 No. 5 Glenn Dorsey Kansas City
2007 No. 10 Amobi Okoye Houston
2006 No. 12 Haloti Ngata Baltimore
2005 No. 16 Travis Johnson Houston
2004 No. 14 Tommie Harris Chicago
2003 No. 4 Dewayne Robertson New York Jets
2002 No. 6 Ryan Sims Kansas City
2001 No. 3 Gerard Warren Cleveland
2000 No. 6 Corey Simon Philadelphia
Some of you object to this type of historical context, and I'll say what I always say: It's simply context and an unofficial guide. If Nebraska's Ndamukong Suh is a paradigm-changing player, he'll deserve the money and draft status that goes along with Detroit's No. 2 overall pick.

But here's what we can say at this point: Over the past 10 years, at least, NFL teams have steered away from defensive tackles at this spot. And there are enough disappointments among the top selections that at least some teams will continue to feel comfortable looking in other directions.

March 21st, 2010, 10:09 pm
Pro Bowl Player

I would pist if the Lions traded with Cleveland, unless they used that trade to trade down even further, or if they got a king's ransom.

At 7, all their main targets would be gone, but its still too high to take Haden. 7 is a terrible spot for the Lions to draft.

March 22nd, 2010, 4:13 am
Team MVP

March 22nd, 2010, 3:17 pm
Team MVP

If for some reason we ended up trading with Cleveland and we're at #7, who would you take? For me, if hes there, Eric Berry. That should be the obvious choice.

If hes gone and Okung is gone, id probably go Haden.

If we go to #7, I wish we could trade down another 5-7 spots and take a guy like Iupati.

March 23rd, 2010, 3:17 pm
RIP Killer

I don't mind #7, we could have Haden, Okung, or Berry there and those would be great picks. We could then walk away with a 2nd or third rounder extra and get solid starter.

March 23rd, 2010, 3:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 336 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next