View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 21st, 2014, 12:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 336 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 23  Next
 DT Ndamukong Suh 
Even if we can get Suh for $50 million, I think I may rather have McCoy for $35 + an additional first/second round pick (even if it is next year). Superstars are nice, but we have so many holes it is ridiculous...

December 7th, 2009, 5:42 pm
QB Coach

Heisman finalists announced
Posted by John Taylor on December 7, 2009 6:26 PM ET
The finalists for the 75th annual Heisman Trophy award were announced this evening, and a total of five players will be making the trek to New York City for the Downtown Athletic Club ceremony.

All five players hail from BcS conferences; four of the five are seniors; and the same number come from the offensive side of the ball. So, as announced by former Heisman winner Tim Brown, here are the five finalists:

Mark Ingram, running back, Alabama
Toby Gerhart, running back, Stanford
Tim Tebow, quarterback, Florida
Colt McCoy, quarterback, Texas
Ndamukong Suh, defensive tackle, Nebraska

First of all, kudos to the Heisman voters for recognizing the trench brilliance of Suh. While it's unlikely the lineman will take home the hardware -- although he should -- it's a solid recognition of just how dominant the Cornhusker has been all season long.

Secondly, there's only one player who I really have a gripe about and yes, Gator Fan, it's Tebow. Make no mistake, the UF legend is an outstanding football player, one of the greatest of all-time at the Div. 1-A level. However, he has not been one of the top five players in college football this season. At all. The Heisman is not a lifetime achievement award -- at least it shouldn't be -- and the voters are allowing his first three seasons in Gainesville to cloud what's been, by most accounts, a mediocre season.

Thirdly, now seems like as good a time as any to put out for your mocking ridicule consideration my top three Heisman contenders. Just pretend I have an official vote and it actually carries some weight:

1.) Suh
2.) Gerhart
3.) Ingram

Just for the record, I was really torn between Gerhart and Ingram, and leaving out McCoy for that matter. I was not torn in the least about putting Suh at the top of the list, though.

He won't win in but it just shows what a force he is that he's even considered. I hope we can either land him at #3 (we need to get ahead of TB) or if he's gone trade down and get more picks.

December 7th, 2009, 10:08 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Even if we can get Suh for $50 million, I think I may rather have McCoy for $35 + an additional first/second round pick (even if it is next year). Superstars are nice, but we have so many holes it is ridiculous...
I agree, I have even been thinking that if we trade down and McCoy is gone I would go Allen Bailey.

December 8th, 2009, 10:47 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Pat Caputo had an interesting take on Suh:
Oakland Press wrote:
One Word Describes Ndamukong Suh: Wow
Watching the Big 12 title game Saturday night, I was trying to think of a college defensive tackle I have seen dominate a game like Ndamukong Suh did for Nebraska. He single-handily kept his team in that game by repeatedly collapsing Texas’ offensive line in the middle.

The name that came to mind was Steve Entman, the defensive tackle at Washington in the early 1990s.

Suh has been doing this a lot late in the season. He wasn’t nearly as dominant early in the season. He has clearly separated himself from the rest of the pack to be the first overall pick in the NFL Draft. And that is saying a lot because this is a deep draft for defensive players, particularly linemen.

He is a perfect fit for the Lions, who unlikely will have the first pick in the draft, though, because they beat the Browns.

Suh should come with the following warning: Defensive tackles taken first overall in the NFL Draft have generally not gone on to become dominant players in the NFL.

The last three defensive tackles selected first overall in the NFL Draft were Dan Wilkinson, Entman and Russell Maryland. Wilkinson and Maryland had long NFL careers, but were hardly dominant NFL players. Entman only had a brief NFL career because of lingering injury issues.

It’s rare the defensive lineman that can control a game from the inside. Warren Sapp was probably the best example. He provided the best of both worlds - gap control and plays. Shaun Rogers had fleeting moments doing it for the Lions.

Mostly teams want gap control. It is hard enough to find. Maryland, Entman and Wilkinson were the first overall selections in three of the first four years of the 1990s. Notice how teams haven’t gone back to that position since?

That thinking could play into the Lions’ hands on draft day. Maybe the Browns would pass on Suh?

December 8th, 2009, 12:19 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

How is that first name even pronounced? :?

December 8th, 2009, 1:42 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

December 8th, 2009, 2:05 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

N-dam-u-kong Suh

December 8th, 2009, 2:29 pm
Profile ICQ WWW

Footsoldier32 wrote:

N-dam-u-kong Suh

I'm not sure how much the hyphens help with pronunciation :wink:

en-DAHM-uh-ken Soo

December 8th, 2009, 3:03 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

True. Just , weird as it is, I had no problem pronouncing it right the 1st time I saw it, as it is exactly pronounced as written.

I was trying to make it easier, but didnt use the actual "Sound chart" to replace the syllables.

December 8th, 2009, 6:06 pm
Profile ICQ WWW

True. Just , weird as it is, I had no problem pronouncing it right the 1st time I saw it, as it is exactly pronounced as written.

I was trying to make it easier, but didnt use the actual "Sound chart" to replace the syllables.

Just giving you a hard time. Didn't mean any harm. :D

December 8th, 2009, 7:47 pm
Team MVP

A co-worker of mine is disagreeing with me about Suh gonna be the #1 overall pick. He doesnt follow the NFL as much, let alone the draft. Hes willing to bet $100 on this. I told him i just might take that deal.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

December 8th, 2009, 9:15 pm
RIP Killer

I'd never bet on a player going #1 before the combine. How many times have guys slipped from "best" to late first even second rounders because their "measurable" weren't good enough? He could show up at the combine and run with his shirt off and look like what's his name last year, dropped like a rock!

December 8th, 2009, 9:43 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

kdsberman, I'd wait to make that bet until the draft order is known. If Tampa Bay or Detroit have the first overall, it's almost guaranteed that Suh will be the pick. It's difficult to predict what Cleveland will do at this point, but he's also a possibility for them. St. Louis, on the other hand, is more likely to take a QB, but you can't completely rule out Suh either.

December 9th, 2009, 11:23 am
RIP Killer

I'd never bet on a player going #1 before the combine. How many times have guys slipped from "best" to late first even second rounders because their "measurable" weren't good enough? He could show up at the combine and run with his shirt off and look like what's his name last year, dropped like a rock!

Andre Smith "dropped" all the way to being the sixth overall pick......I'd say he didn't drop at all from that very ugly incident. In fact, based on his leaving the Combine and then that questionable Pro Day move, I'm surprised he was picked that high.

But, you make a good point. I would never make that bet, because free agency always impacts what teams will do in the draft, even with the first overall pick. What if Cleveland gets the first pick, and Brady Quinn absolutely tanks the next few games. Cleveland is likely to go with a QB, not a DT/DE. St. Louis picking first would almost ensure a QB being taken ahead of Suh, unless the QBs in this class fall apart during workouts, or Suh puts on an incredible display of speed, strength and instincts.

Too many variables right now to take the bet. I'd bet him in March if he's still making that claim, and whoever is picking first has a need for a DT more than a QB.

December 9th, 2009, 11:25 am
RIP Killer

Still got the bowl games, Sr Bowl (of which coaches, scouts, GMs, and their mothers will be there), and the combine.

Suh could drop out of the top 5. Crazier things have happened. Cough, Darrius Heyward-Bey, cough.

It's likely that a WR moves up as well. TB could use another wideout and I believe they have more pressing needs than DT. They need DE help pretty bad and Morgan could be their choice with a strong Sr Bowl and combine, which seems likely. Come on, Stylez White is starting at DE for them. Jimmy Wilkerson should pack on another 15-20 pounds and move inside. Their run D sucks because their LB suck outside of Ruud. Hayes and Black are both average at best. They look like reincarnations of Paris Lenon.

December 9th, 2009, 11:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 336 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 23  Next