View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 20th, 2014, 12:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Draft Grades/Winners and Losers 
RIP Killer

Post Draft Grades/Winners and Losers
I know it is only the FIRST day... but we already have some grades in for the first round and winners and loser list. Might be cool to see how these grades change over three days this time as people get time to mull over each day.

Quote:
2010 NFL Draft: Day One Winners, Losers and More

Day One of the 2010 NFL Draft is in the books and it was one of the most surprising in recent years with a stunning top ten pick and seven trades including back-to-back trades at picks 12 and 13.

With the new format, there is a different feel to day one, but it would not be a draft without prematurely declaring winners and losers (limited to 5 teams in each category):

Winners

Seattle Seahawks - Stood pat with their two first round picks and came out with two excellent players at positions of need. Russell Okung is the top tackle in the draft to anchor their offensive line. Earl Thomas ' tremendous coverage awareness and range fills is an ideal fit for today's pass happy NFL and fills a void in the secondary.

Arizona Cardinals - Landed the best nose tackle in the draft in Dan Williams , filling a void in the middle of their 3-4 defense.

Dallas Cowboys - Landed a player whom many doubted will fall to them in Dez Bryant . Bryant is the top receiver in the draft and it was not close only sliding due to character concerns. The risk-reward trade-off at 24th overall is acceptable for a player of his talent (highly reminiscent of Randy Moss). Only swapping a 3rd for a 4th to ensure they got their man was a shrewd trade up.

San Francisco 49ers - Mike Singletary is building his team in his own image by adding two top talents to upgrade a questionable offensive line. Anthony Davis fills their need at offensive tackle and guard Mike Iupati gives them a mauler along the interior. Alex Smith and Frank Gore have to be thrilled with the upgrades.

Detroit Lions - Landed the draft's top overall player and a defensive building block in Ndamukong Suh and traded up to land the playmaking running back they wanted in Jahvid Best without giving up much (swapped fourths and gave up a seventh).

Tim Tebow - Defied the skeptics by getting selected in round one, most surprisingly as the second quarterback off the board. Landed in a good situation in Denver with a creative offensive coordinator.

Losers

Jacksonville Jaguars - Selecting defensive tackle Tyson Alualu 10th overall was round one's biggest reach and watching Denver and Miami trade down and acquire additional second- and third-round picks made it look even worse. Alualu would have been on the board later in the round.

New England Patriots - Added an extra fourth and upgraded a fourth to a third but failed to add a needed difference maker with their first round pick. Would have been better getting the stretch-the-field receiver they need opposite Randy Moss with Demaryius Thomas /Dez Bryant or drafting the top five technique Jared Odrick rather than add solid cornerback (exceptional special teamer) Devin McCourty . The Patriots need to add players, not picks, this year.

Denver Broncos - Maneuvered well to get the players they targeted, but Demaryius Thomas and Tim Tebow were both developmental boom-bust picks on a team needing immediate contributions.

New Orleans Saints - Passed on needs in the front seven to select Patrick Robinson , a toolsy corner with questionable awareness and instincts. The Saints have used far too many picks on the secondary in recent years.

Washington Redskins - Failed to draft down after bluffing on Eric Berry and then reached to select Trent Williams over Russell Okung. Williams is a good scheme fit but he struggled playing the left side in 2009. A risky pick at fourth overall.

Jimmy Clausen - The story of day two of the draft was supposed to be about Tim Tebow, not Jimmy Clausen. The leadership concerns are very real as 32 picks passed on him as a franchise quarterback.

Other Day One Thoughts

Whether it was the prime time slot or day-long build up, the pace of this year's draft far exceeded expectations. Teams were quick and decisive throughout the day wrapping up the draft before the end of the local news (on the East Coast).

After following form for the first seven picks, the draft featured one of the most surprising strings of picks in recent memory from picks eight through ten (Rolondo McClain, CJ Spiller and Tyson Alualu). Kudos to Oakland for making a surprising but solid pick in McClain taking football IQ over physical tools.

The much anticipated run on offensive tackles did not happen. Kansas City, Oakland and Buffalo are all positioned to grab an offensive tackle early in round two as Charles Brown, Bruce Campbell and Rodger Saffold remain on the board.

Buffalo faces a tough call on quarterback or offensive tackle in round two?

As expected the value in round two is at wide receiver, safety and rush linebacker. Cornerback has thinned a little though as five corners surprisingly went off the board in round one.

My bold prediction of more trades in round two than round one is in jeopardy after seeing seven trades go off the board in round one.

Top five players on the board entering day two:
1. QB Jimmy Clausen, Notre Dame
2. DT Brian Price , UCLA
3. DE/OLB Sergio Kindle , Texas
4. WR Golden Tate , Notre Dame
5. OT Charles Brown , USC

April 23rd, 2010, 10:27 am
RIP Killer

Post Re: Winners and Losers Day 1
Quote:
NEW YORK -- NFL commissioner Roger Goodell couldn't have had a better premiere for the league's first prime-time draft.

The NFL was a winner by having a Thursday night draft that featured seven trades, numerous surprise selections and big-name drama that came when Tim Tebow went to the Denver Broncos. Wide receiver Dez Bryant going to the Dallas Cowboys also created plenty of excitement. In what was considered a quality draft, the NFL couldn't lose. The pace of the first round was reasonably fast, completed in 3 hours, 28 minutes -- much quicker than a Red Sox-Yankees game.

Even Joe West, the umpire who criticized those Yankees-Red Sox games, might approve.

But there were major losers and significant winners. Let's examine.

Losers
1. Jimmy Clausen: The Notre Dame QB was clearly one of the biggest losers in recent drafts. As bad as it was for Aaron Rodgers and Brady Quinn to drop into the 20s in the first round in previous drafts, Clausen's slipping into the second round will go down as one of the more surprising drops ever. Even worse for Clausen was the fact Tim Tebow went ahead of him when the Broncos picked the Florida QB with the 25th pick in the first round. Clausen was considered the second-best quarterback coming into the draft. To lose out to Tebow, who had to tweak his delivery to enhance his standing, is further embarrassment. For Clausen, things could get worse. Could the Cleveland Browns take Colt McCoy over him? Will the Buffalo Bills bypass him? Clausen clearly didn't leave Notre Dame with a year of eligibility remaining to not go in the first round. This was a disaster.

2. What is Josh McDaniels doing? Tebow might be the most interesting selection of Day 1, but why Denver? After going 2-8 down the stretch in 2009, a bad start to the 2010 season (and a losing season) could put McDaniels' job in jeopardy. McDaniels inherited an offense in Denver that didn't need a lot of change. QB Jay Cutler was coming off a 4,500-yard season in 2008, and Brandon Marshall was a 100-catch receiver. Like Quinn, whom McDaniels picked up for virtually nothing, Tebow is a developmental quarterback. The question facing the Broncos' organization is whether McDaniels can earn enough time to succeed with developmental quarterbacks. Current Denver starter Kyle Orton may just have this year left at quarterback under these circumstances. McDaniels put together an old defense in his first year on the job, and it faded down the stretch. He's had to redo his defensive line and make upgrades at linebacker during this offseason. I'm not sure the Broncos have the luxury of developing Tebow under these circumstances.

3. Taylor Mays: A year ago, many considered the USC safety a top-10 prospect. Scouts apparently ignored his great speed by not selecting him in the first round. Even worse, new Seahawks coach Pete Carroll, who groomed Mays at USC, selected Texas safety Earl Thomas with the 14th pick in the first round. At the scouting combine, Mays ran a sub-4.4 40 and looked like one of the best athletes in the draft. He went to the Senior Bowl and the criticism began. Scouts said he didn't make enough interceptions or enough plays during his final couple of years in school. Would things have been different if he left USC a year early? Mays must wait to find an NFL home in the second round.

Winners
1. Seattle: Carroll can thank the Kansas City Chiefs for making his first Seahawks draft successful. Carroll desperately needed a left tackle to replace Walter Jones, who is expected to retire. For weeks, the Seahawks thought that Trent Williams would fall to them. By mid-afternoon Thursday, it became widely known that the Redskins were going to take Williams. For 10 minutes, Carroll had to sweat out the possibility of the Chiefs taking Russell Okung at No. 5. Instead, they took safety Eric Berry, giving the Seahawks Okung, a left tackle to stabilize their offensive line. They got a bonus at No. 14 when they had the choice of selecting Thomas, the Texas safety, or Derrick Morgan, a defensive end. Though an end is normally more valuable, the Seahawks were desperate for a safety. They had only two on the active roster, and Thomas could be a future Pro Bowler at the position. In fact, some believe he might be better than Berry.

2. Tennessee: Things could not have gone better for the Titans. After losing Kyle Vanden Bosch via free agency, they needed a pass-rushing defensive end. Not in their wildest dreams could they envision Derrick Morgan falling to them with the 16th pick in the first round. Coach Jeff Fisher and defensive line coach Jim Washburn are great at molding defensive linemen. In Morgan, they get a talent who might be considered a top-10 pick in a normal year. There were some thoughts they would take Jason Pierre-Paul, but as expected, he went to the New York Giants. Morgan could become a double-digit sack player for the Titans.

3. Green Bay: The Packers were in a bad spot with the 23rd pick in the first round. Getting Iowa tackle Bryan Bulaga was a huge gift. The way the draft was shaping up, it was not out of the question for four tackles to go in the top nine. The Bills decided pretty early that they weren't going to take Bulaga with the ninth pick in the draft. The surprise was that the 49ers selected Anthony Davis, a tackle, and Mike Iupati, a guard, letting Bulaga fall to the Packers. Even if he is only a right tackle for them, Bulaga will help. The Packers have two old tackles: Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher. Good players fell to the playoff teams. The rich just got richer.

April 23rd, 2010, 10:34 am
RIP Killer

Quote:
The impact of this draft will be felt immediately! With the depth of this draft if a team picked a player in round one, and he's not a starter said team should fire whoever was making the final pick. This I feel has been actually accomplished in this draft.

There's also some teams draft guru due for a big raise as well. Lets start right at the top.

To me the Sam Bradford pick was made just as much to get a buzz back in St. Louis, and put fannies in the seats, and hock Rams merchandise, as much as it was about making the right choice.

I think he is going to be good so they may have accomplished both agendas. But I still feel he's not number one overall. But you always overpay on a stud QB. Nice start for St. Louis.

Then to the real winners in this draft so far. The Detroit Lions. They follow up an already amazing off-season with an equally impressive draft.

Ndamukong Suh Is the best plaer in this draft. If he stays healthy he, in my opinion, will have the best career of all the players in this draft.

Then you throw in trading back in the late first, and getting an explosive player like Jahvid Best (who I feel IS the best running back in this draft) was the cherry on top of the Sunday with the Lions. This is not your daddy's Lions.

The Bucs made a solid choice with McCoy. Not sure if they tried to, but failed, but I would have tried to trade down. They just need so much here. They could've gotten their three technique, and maybe an explosive weapon to help talented prospect Josh Freeman as well. I didn't see too many teams behind them that needed a Tamp two style tackle. They may have been able to have gotten McCoy in the middle of the first. Still I like the pick. Especially if they couldn't get rid of it, because of the high salaried slot position at three overall.

Eric Berry being the conensus number one rated safety in the draft is a good get, but I think getting Okung here.

The next two big winners were Seattle, and San Fransisco. They both hit on their two number ones. A feat that should be accomplished, but often isn't. Of course they could all fail, but for now on paper you have to say this is a cream puff of a draft.

The Seahawks got two immediate Starters with Russell Okung the top rated left Tackle in the draft at number five, and who I think is the best Free Safety in the draft Earl Thomas with the fourteenth over all. They got two high caliber starters.

San Fran moves up to get that troubled left tackle position solidified with the send highest rated tackle in this draft. Then they complete the left side of the line with what many are saying is the highest rated Guard in ten years, Mike Iupati.

I like the Joe Haden pick for the Cleveland Browns. Acquiring the highest rated cornerback in the draft is certainly cause for celebration.

Rolando McClain was a surprise pick by the Raiders, but in a good way this year. McClain a very solid pick. The best Interior Linebacker in the draft. It was a need, and great value pick all in one.

Now the Bills I feel reached. I think they could've traded down, and gotten this guy later. He's very explosive, but I don't even feel he's the 2nd rated running back in this draft. Forget the top running back. Not a huge need of theirs either.

The Jacksonville Jaguars made the top Draft reach in this draft if it weren't for Denver. I'll get to them soon enough.

Tyson Alualu is a nice player. He may even be a starter this year, but he won't be the top ten pick good.

I also think San Diego reached for Ryan Mathews. Most had him falling to them where they were. The only team that picked a running back after they did was Detroit at 30 th overall. Correct me if I'm wrong, but 28th (where they were originally) is ahead of 30th.

The Philadelphia Eagles reached too I feel. I like nearly every pick that came after this one.Brandon graham a good player, but this is poor value here. a trade down would've been the desirable thing to do here.

I though the New York Giants reached too. Jason Pierre-Paul an unbelievable athlete, but only a small sample size of actual game experience. This has bust written all over it to me. In my opinion project picks come late in the draft not 15th overall, and thats what he is. A project. Its also not a need for the Giants.

Tennessee might have been saved from themselves here. They too were all over Paul, but went with Derrick Morgan who is the safest, and most logical pick of the two defensive End prospects. Sometimes the moves you don't make are your best.

The Pittsburgh Steelers could've given their fans something positive to cheer for after just a horrendous week where they lost their Super Bowl MVP Wide Receiver, and possibly their 2-time Super Bowl winning quarterback too.

They kind of did you can say. They did get a good solid guard who will start for them, and likely collect a few Pro bowls along the way, however, not a very exciting one. Not sure what the rest of the draft has in store for the Steelers, but Dez Bryant would've looked good here don't you think? I like the Falcons pick of Outside Linebacker Sean Weatherspoon.

Cornerback was a need position, so Kareem Jackson made a lot of sense here after they allowed Dunta Robinson to walk.However Kyle Wilson was a better choice here to me.

I think the Bengals completely reached here. The player is pretty good, but not in the first round. Not too many teams are drooling to look for pass catching Tight Ends, because they got one or don't really want one. They could've possibly traded up for a real stud or down into the second, and still have gotten Gresham. Need or not.

Now we get to the biggest loser on day one of the draft. At first I thought the trade downs were genius moves. Obviously McDaniels has followed in his mentors footsteps, and even made a trade with Bill Belicheck. They were in position to replace Brandon Marshall with the Best Wide Receiver in the draft at great value at 22nd overall!

But they blow it and get a wide receiver with character questions same as Bryant, and has never run a route tree, or played in a pro offense. To top that off he's been on the shelf, and couldn't even workout for his Proday or at the combine as he's been recovering from a broken foot. A very important asset for a receiver I hear. Healthy Foot good! Un-healthy foot bad.

Then they trade away all those picks they accumulated to get in the late first round, and you think its a great move. Then they pick Tim Tebow.

Even if they feel good about him eventually developing into the Quarterback of the future, to think he's not at the very least a 2 year project, and most likely longer, is curious at best. Apparently McDaniels feels pretty good about his job security to feel confident enough to pick two huge projects that won't be fully developed at their projected positions for awhile. Denver loses big time.

Green Bay went for a need with their 23rd pick, pickig Brian Bulaga. I think they could've done better. Bulaga to me looks too un-athletic to play Left Tackle on the next level. He looks and moves like a Guard. He's just so stiff to me. I think he may settle in at future Right Tackle eventually.

The Dallas Cowboys win big on thier 24th overall selection. What tremendous value they get here! If Bryant can learn quickly the Cowboys are going to be a tough win to get off of. Regardless how good a team may be. they might be scary on offense. No wonder Romo's good. Give me those weapons, and I'm in the Pro Bowl.

Arizona got a need filled, and a pretty good football player (Nose Tackle Dan Williams) to boot. Its hard to argue with this choice, so I won't even try.

New England just like The Texans did 7 slots earlier picked the wrong Cornerback. Kyle Wilson Is the second best Cornerback in this draft, and two teams missed out on the opprotunity to draft him. Devin McCourty gives them extra value in special teams as he may be the best Special teams all around player in the entire draft. So tha had to factor in this decison. Is Belichek losing his touch? We'll see.

Miami then Picked Jared Oderick to play 5 technique for them. A big need pick here. He's definitely cut out of the Parcels draft pick mold.

The Jets are another huge winner! Just like the lions the Jets have had one of the better off-seasons. Aparently they want to be able to gamble on that 46 defense I love so much. They have the Corners to do it now. Wilson just impressive on tape. Shut down ability & he'll probably start out as a nickleback and apecial teamer till Cromarties contract and/or skills run out. Whichever comes first. This kids a great blitzer, and an agressive tackler.

Indianapolis Surprised me! With THE best Defensive End tandem in all of Football already on your team this pick makes you scratch your head. Could there be a second day deal? Mathais anyone?b

Lastly San Diego Made a savvy pick by picking Patrick Robinson at 32nd overall.. They desperately needed a Corner-back to replace the one they lost to the Jets.

April 23rd, 2010, 10:35 am
RIP Killer

Post Re: Draft Grades
Quote:
The first round of draft is over, which means it's time for some 2010 NFL Draft grades. As always, there were plenty of trades and plenty of surprises. Two quarterbacks came off the board, but it might not be the same two you were expecting. The Patriots and Eagles stuck to the script of trading around the first round, while the Broncos joined them in the fray. While the final grades for this draft won't be handed out for years, we're ready give you the first look at how all 32 teams did on Thursday.

Arizona -- A- : Speculation had Dan Williams as high as the top-ten, but when all was said and done the Cardinals nabbed him at No. 26.
Atlanta -- B : Sean Weatherspoon should grow into being the leader of the Falcon defense, but the Falcons could have traded down (many were willing) and still gotten him.
Baltimore -- B+ : The Ravens didn't make a pick, but they did pick up the 43rd, 70th, and 114th pick for their No. 25 selection, incredible value for one of the best drafting teams in the league.
Buffalo -- D+ : C.J. Spiller is a talented back, but the Bills should have without question added a lineman in the top ten, and Fred Jackson is more than capable as a No. 1 back.
Carolina -- Inc. : The Panthers stayed out of the first round, and the team is slated to pick 16th on Friday.
Chicago -- Inc. : The Bears stayed out of the first round, and aren't scheduled to pick until midway through the third round.
Cincinnati -- B : Cincy absolutely needed to give Carson Palmer a playmaking tight end, and Gresham is the best TE prospect in the draft.
Cleveland -- C+ : Rumor had the Browns favoring Kyle Wilson, but they drafted Joe Haden instead, about six-to-ten spots higher than expected.
Dallas -- B+ : The Cowboys moved up a couple spots to nab Dez Bryant, a receiver with top-five overall ability and the quintessential boom-or-bust pick.
Denver -- A- : Denver moved all over the board and wound up with two talented players in Demaryius Thomas and Tim Tebow, while retaining three Day 2 picks.
Detroit -- A+ : Ndamukong Suh is generally regarded as the top talent in this draft and a player the Lions couldn't pass on, while Javhid Best will give the running game an immediate spark.
Green Bay -- B : Green Bay gets high marks for getting someone that was thought to be a lock for the top 10 at No. 23, but there was a reason his stock really fell in the days leading up to the draft.
Houston -- B- : The Texans addressed a big position of need with one of the draft's big risers over the last few weeks, but did they choose the right cornerback?
Indianapolis -- B+ : The Colts improved depth behind their bookend defensive ends with Jerry Hughes, and he fits the type of draft pick that has been successful in Indy for so long.
Jacksonville -- F : There were whispers that Tyson Alualu would sneak into the first round, but no one could have forecasted the Jaguars making him a top-ten pick.
Kansas City -- A : The Chiefs eschew an offensive lineman to take a guy that may be the second-best talent in the draft and near a lock to be a productive NFL player in Eric Berry.
Miami -- A- : The Dolphins entered the draft without a second-rounder, and picked up the 40th overall pick and a fourth-rounder by trading down and taking Jared Odrick, an excellent five-technique defensive lineman.
Minnesota -- B+ : The Vikings pick up the 100th and 214th overall picks to move down four slots, and at the time of the move there wasn't a great fit on the board for the team.
New England -- B- : The Patriots did more moving around and settled in at No. 27 to take cornerback Devin McCourty, who should help them on special teams immediately.
New Orleans -- C+ : Patrick Robinson becomes the last pick of the first round and allows New Orleans to move Malcom Jenkins to safety.
New York Giants -- C- : Depending on who you ask, Jason Pierre-Paul will be a stud or a dud, and it was curious to see the Giants pass on the safer Derrick Morgan.
New York Jets -- A- : With pre-draft buzz suggesting Kyle Wilson could be the first cornerback off the board and a top-ten selection, the Jets hit a home run getting him at No. 29.
Oakland -- A : Seriously, they get outstanding marks just for taking a honest-to-goodness great football player over a workout warrior for the first time in years.
Philadelphia -- C- : The Eagles move up in the draft but pass on some of their bigger needs to take the first defensive end of the draft, a guy that was thought by most to be the third-best at his position.
Pittsburgh -- A- : Interior linemen usually aren't selected in the top 20, and that should give you an idea of Maurkice Pouncey's talent.
San Diego -- B : The Chargers paid a big price to move up and get their guy in Ryan Mathews, and he fills an immediate need and should be a fantasy football force immediately.
San Francisco -- A : San Francisco moved up to get Anthony Davis and landed another lineman in Mike Iupati with their other pick, solidifying their offensive line in the span of an hour.
Seattle -- A+ : Standing pat with their two picks, the Seahawks add arguably the best tackle and second best defensive back in this draft in Russell Okung and Earl Thomas.
St. Louis -- A- : The Rams bring in a franchise quarterback by taking Sam Bradford with the first overall pick, but they still have plenty of work to do.
Tampa Bay -- A- : Gerald McCoy is the perfect fit for Tampa Bay's defense, and he has a shot to equal the career of Warren Sapp, a key player in Tampa Bay's last championship season.
Tennessee -- B : The Titans missed out on their guy in Jason Pierre-Paul but may have landed the best end in the draft by getting Derrick Morgan; sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.
Washington -- B+ : The Redskins made the necessary move and gave new quarterback protection in the form of Trent Williams, who is a great fit for Mike Shanahan's system.

April 23rd, 2010, 10:41 am
RIP Killer

Post Re: Draft Grades/Winners and Losers
This one is fun! Winners and loser of draft coverage!
Quote:
NFL Draft (Press) Coverage: Winners And Losers For ESPN and NFL Network
Friday, April 23, 2010
Posted By Dan Levy 10:00 AM
With round one in the books, we thought it made sense to look at some of the draft's early winners and losers. Heck, football people far smarter than me can tell you if Sam Bradford is really 32 picks better than Jimmy Clausen or if the Rams would have been better served taking an offensive or defensive tackle and then trading back into the late first round to take one of the remaining quarterbacks. People more in the know than me can tell you why San Francisco gave up more than Santonio Holmes is currently worth to move up two spots in the first round.
This is about the winners and losers of the coverage on TV.

For the purposes of this experiment, TV shall include the internet as well. First, it was impossible to miss the fact that Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen from ESPN and Jason La Canfora from NFLN were blatantly announcing picks on Twitter minutes – sometimes up to five or six minutes – before the commissioner announced a selection. I'm all for scoops, but we aren't sitting around for five hours watching this spectacle of a draft so we can have our picks leaked out before hand. And this isn't coming from a team's beat writer just trying to do his job. These tweets were coming from the reporters working for both networks covering the event on TV. If getting the scoop is that important, just eliminate the whole fanfare of the draft altogether and have NFL insiders in a room with a Blackberry just reading off who picked whom.

Yes, I understand that millions of people watch the NFL Draft and no more than a few hundred thousand are following on Twitter, but those few hundred thousand are likely the more dedicated viewers. Please stop making the fact that we're watching the draft so unnecessary because, as you'll see, there wasn't all that much else worth watching.

• I've had long-standing debates with many insiders at ESPN about the quality of Jon Gruden's work. I just don't see how ESPN can make him their lead analyst when it's obvious that he's developed an inability to criticize teams in the league – which many pundits think is nothing more than posturing for when he eventually returns to the NFL as a coach. Look, I've watched the old NFL Films features. The guy is just not that positive. The guy reading his Blackberry back from a break saying, "It's a crazy league, there's a lot of dumbass…" that's the Gruden I wish we got more of on TV. (H/T to Colin Cosell for the video.)

But those in charge at ESPN clearly love Gruden, and love him so much that the long-standing feud between Mel Kiper and Todd McShay didn't even exist on Thursday night. McShay was relegated to one or two segments with a big board back in Bristol. And Mel? Mel was completely castrated by the addition of Gruden on the set.

The old ESPN formula worked for them: Chris Berman tipped a pick, the commissioner announced it, Berman did the housekeeping on his vitals and Mel did the breakdown over the highlights. After that, the rest of the pundits gave their thoughts. Was it just me, or was Gruden doing more and more of the analysis over the highlights Thursday night? Maybe I found myself gravitating more toward the NFLN coverage so I could have missed a lot of his analysis, but it felt like ESPN had Kiper sitting on the end of the desk doing nothing other than staring at his Big Board that had Jimmy Clausen stuck at the top as every team in the league passed on one of his "can't miss" talents.

As I mentioned on Tuesday in our NFL Draft coverage draft, this night is made for Mel, but it sure didn't feel like that on ESPN.

• By contrast, NFLN made Mike Mayock into their star of the evening. They had a draft expert and they deferred to his expertise on everything from player grades to who would be the right fit for which team. Mayock felt like an expert on Thursday, and the credit clearly goes to Rich Eisen for that. Eisen coolly and calmly drove the bus for NFLN, even managing to get in every single sponsor name the network overstuffed their coverage to include. Eisen was the anti-Berman last night, who seemed, well, like Berman doing the draft. If you notice, after a lengthy conversation between pundits on ESPN, Berman just lets the conversation hang for two or three seconds – a long time on TV – before abruptly moving on. That's because he's obviously not paying attention, right? Or because, as we saw on the wide shot, he's busy yelling at the director.

Despite his new contract, ESPN would really be better served having Berman sit in the Suzy Kolber chair to do interviews and hand over the draft coverage for the full three days to someone like Trey Wingo. Wingo, like Eisen, is cool and collected during the draft chaos. Watch ESPN on Saturday and tell me if the coverage anchored by Wingo ends up being more or less chaotic than the rounds with Berman. Berman is great at a lot of things, but anchoring the draft, with all that can change on the fly, is not one of them.

Eisen, on the other hand, is perfectly suited for the draft and his even temperament and quick wit was on full display during the first round. He even dropped in a "fuggedaboudit" which, from the Staten Island native, is a nice shout out back to his East Coast roots. I thought for a minute the California sun had bleached that out of him.

We won't recap everyone on both telecasts, but here are some other winners and losers…

• Jeremy Schaap and Scott Hanson both spent the evening with the Tebow family and both had enormous payoffs when Tebow was taken by Denver. If they had the chance to pick their assignments, they chose wisely.

• Suzy Kolber and Deion Sanders both did decent work with the player interviews. Deion, specifically, didn't ask one insightful question but seemed to play a big brother role to every single draft pick that was amazing to watch. After Thursday night, I'm fairly certain that Deion is secretly the agent for every player in the first round. That, or their pastor. Yes, there was a lot of God blessing going on during those interviews.

• Steve Young, Steve Mariucci, Marshall Faulk and Tom Jackson were all solid in their analyst/pundit roles. Of the four, Faulk seemed to stand out the most with his preparation and poise on the set. I feel Jackson is the best NFL analyst of the bunch and was concerned that he wouldn't add as much to ESPN's Draft coverage, but was happy to see him prove me wrong. Both Mariucci and Young seem to be on the set more for their broad, general analysis and storytelling than anything else. Both are good, but perhaps some of that time could be spent more on in-depth breakdown of the draft picks. I'm not sure.

• I am sure, however, that Michael Irvin served little purpose on the NFLN set. The network would have been better served going with a four-man set and leaving more time for LaCanfora or Deion to get on TV. Irvin even seemed lost when the Cowboys traded up to draft Dez Bryant, which you'd think would have been an exclusive scoop for the former Cowboys wideout.

• Speaking of Bryant, the NFLN coverage of his draft process – from the camera in his house with his family celebrating followed by Bryant coming into the room and falling on the floor in a heap of emotions – juxtaposed with the Cowboys war room camera, won the night. The Tebow coverage may have gotten more fanfare, but the NFLN coverage of Bryant's situation was the moment of the night.

• Watching ESPN on TV, I had the NFLN feed online. After about an hour, the NFLN feed switched to their studio show in Los Angeles. The air came out of the balloon. Mike Lombardi has a lot of great information – except when he angrily admitted he couldn't reach his phone and had no service inside their studio – but the rest of the crew, while providing solid analysis did nothing to compliment NFLN's New York set-up. It was a bad move by the league and they should have left their online coverage as a mirror to what they had on TV. Those watching ESPN would have wanted an online alternative, and the league dropped the ball with how much time the online feed spent going back to their static studio show.

• Last, if there was one winner of the night, it's Mike Mayock's daughter, Leigh. The Penn State senior was Tweeting last night, replying to people out there, myself included, who talked about her dad:

Dads drinkin diet coke...everyone else has water in their mugs if any1 was wondrin!
The younger Mayock is planning to graduate this May with a degree in broadcasting and journalism. Let's hope she keeps up the inside info on her dad the rest of the draft.

April 23rd, 2010, 10:49 am
RIP Killer

Quote:
2010 NFL Draft Grades: First Round Grades
April 23, 2010 by luckylester
Some teams were great in Round 1 while others bombed the test with a big fat “F”. It’s just the first round, and regularly true grades are made by about year 3 after the draft, but I’m a danged sports writer, and I feel it’s a must for me to tell everyone how I feel about the “Prime Time” action that went down in the NFL yesterday. I must say, it was good TV.

St. Louis Rams: Sam Bradford – The Rams had to grab Bradford, it only made sense. The kid is going to be good, I’ve thought so for years, and I won’t stop thinking so until he pulls a Ryan Leaf. I’ve said it once, but a home run at quarterback is better than a home run at defensive tackle. A
Detroit Lions: Ndamukong Suh, Jahvid Best- Couldn’t go wrong with their top pick as they plucked one of the most dominant defensive tackle prospects in many-many years. But, I don’t see why the Lions felt the need to trade up to grab Best, but they did, and they got him, and I think he’s worth the pick. Maybe they felt Minnesota would have taken him had they not traded their pick, and with that being the case, this makes a little sense. But you know Indy and New Orleans weren’t going to take Best, and neither were the Rams. But he was the best running back prospect left, and I like the kid a lot. Give them a little credit, they ended up with two first rounders and they didn’t blow either one. A-
Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Gerald McCoy -Great pick for the Bucs, the guy fits perfectly and he’s a dominant player on every down. A
Washington Redskins: Trent Williams – The Redskins picked a talented offensive lineman, no doubt, and Splinter has done well picking the position in the past. However, questions about his work ethic and love for the game drop Williams a bit in my book. But he’s a good player and fills a great need for the Skins. C+
Kansas City Chiefs: Eric Berry -The Chiefs fought the urge to leave a safety on the board because the position isn’t usually drafted so high. But Berry is the exception, and that makes this an even greater pick because of their willing to ignore the common perception about the position. A+
Seattle Seahawks: Russell Okung, Earl Thomas -The Draft couldn’t have worked out better for Seattle. Well, I guess I would have liked it better had Berry fallen to them at 6 and had Davis fallen to them at 14. But drafting where they were, and considering who they got, this was an awesome draft for Seattle. Okung was my 2nd rated offensive lineman, and the most sure thing at the OT position – and Thomas was the 5th rated defender on my list, and he’s really close to Berry, Suh, McClain, and McCoy. Both were huge needs for Seattle. Perfect first round for Pete Carol. A+
Cleveland Browns – Joe Haden -The Browns drafted Haden, who is a very good and physical corner – a guy many had rated as the best CB in this class. I like Kyle Wilson more, but Haden might fit better in what the Browns do defensively. Still, when I heard that Holmgren might make his decision based on where the two corners played (Haden at Florida compared to Wilson at Boise State), I threw up in my mouth a little bit. That’s just flat stupid. Still, a solid pick for the Browns. B
Oakland Raiders: Rolando McClain -Finally the Raiders just picked a good player. Red-Red Ryan had McClain going to the Raiders in his Mock Draft back in January, and he got it right on the button. McClain is a weird pick for Oakland because he was so successful and productive in college. Tom Jackson had it right when he said, “The Raiders won’t be looking for a middle linebacker in next year’s draft.” McClain wasn’t a huge need pick for Oakland, but I have to give them a good grade for not picking a workout hero that didn’t excel in college. B+
Buffalo Bills: C.J. Spiller -I love C.J. Spiller. But he’s not a great pick for Buffalo. He’s a touchdown maker, and he’s good at everything, but for a team that needs so much, especially on the offensive line, a smallish running back at #9 is not great for them. However, if he turns out to be more Chris Johnson than Reggie Bush, then I’ll admit being wrong. Seems like a great kid, so I hope I’m wrong. C-
Jacksonville Jaguars: Tyson Alualu – “We like to “joke” with Jack Del Rio’s lack of intelligence, and expect him to do something mentally representative of that “joke”” – yeah, this is what I wrote prior to the draft – and while I liked Alualu as a solid defensive tackle prospect, I can’t help but believe they reached 20 picks early for the Cal defensive tackle, and the fact that 3 teams traded down into 11, 12, and 13 means they could have picked up a couple extra picks and still drafted their guy. I think Tyson will be solid, but that doesn’t help their grade. It’s like picking Tony Gonzalez with your first round pick in fantasy football – he’s good, but the pick is dumb. F
San Francisco 49ers: Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati – The 49ers traded up a couple picks to grab a guy I tabbed as the best and most talented offensive tackle prospect in the draft. I don’t think they needed to do so, but maybe they knew the next two teams were trying to trade down, and didn’t want to miss out on their top rated OT. With their second pick they grabbed one of the best all around offensive line prospects in the draft in guard Mike Iupati – and they did so right before Pittsburgh picked. The 49ers got a lot better up front, but more importantly, they might have drafted an identity. This was a very good start for the 49ers, though I don’t think they needed to trade up to get their guy – so I have to drop them a little bit. Having the balls to take two offensive linemen in the first 17 picks moves them up a little bit. A-
San Diego Chargers: Ryan Matthews – The Chargers traded way up and reached a bit for Ryan Matthews. Will he be worth it? Maybe. He’s the only every down running back rated as a first round pick, and they must think they are an every down back away from a Super Bowl. I happen to think they are a good nose tackle and a better secondary away from a Super Bowl, but what do I know? I think Matthews was reached for here, but he is going to be good, and did fill a need. C+
Philadelphia Eagles: Brandon Graham – The Eagles never seem to hesitate to trade up and get the guy they want, and I like their style. Brandon Graham was the 10th rated player on my big board, and the 6th rated defensive player. The Eagles got him at 13, and they moved up just in time to assure they got their guy. Seattle might have snagged him, and so could the Giants. They might have given up a lot, but he’s going to be a game changer right off the bat for a defense that has struggled to get after the quarterback in big games. A
New York Giants: Jason Pierre-Paul - Maybe the Giants like what Pierre-Paul brings to the table a lot more than Osi – but I’m not so sure. I like Pierre-Paul’s athleticism and upside, but I’ve seen Osi do work at defensive end. They are likely to trade him now, and Pierre-Paul’s ability was good value at 15, but I’m not sure the eventual trade will make them better. B-
Tennessee Titans: Derrick Morgan – The Titans needed a consistent player on their defensive line, and you can’t go wrong with Morgan. He’s not a pure pass rusher, and he’s not an all run defense guy – he’s very good at both. He’s an every down player that will help the Titans get after the quarterback and stop the run. He’s got a great motor, and is a good fit. Plus, the value for Morgan at 16 was great. A
Pittsburgh Steelers: Maurkice Pouncey - I think this is a little high to take Pouncey, but the kid can really play. He’s got great feet and understanding, and he did lots of good stuff at Florida. The Steelers really needed help up front, they got it with this guy. B+
Atlanta Falcons: Sean Weatherspoon -This was a bit of a reach, value wise, but ability wise I think it was perfect. I had Weatherspoon rated as the 19th best player in the draft because of his ability to positively effect the offense on every down. Not enough is said about that, and the Falcons have a very good and smart player to help their mediocre defense turn the corner And Sean fills a need for the Falcons. A-
Houston Texans: Kareem Jackson – I liked Kyle Wilson as the top corner, and he ends up getting picked as the 4th corner, behind Jackson, McCourty, and Haden. Kareem is a very physical player that helped the Crimson Tide dominate defensively all year long. His ability to do many things in coverage allowed Alabama to use many defenses, and he’s ready to help a Texans team that desperately needs help in the secondary. B
Cincinnati Bengals: Jermaine Gresham – The Bengals drafted the surest receiver in the draft, he just happens to be a tight end. The way Carson Palmer has regressed a bit means Gresham might be just what he needs. He’s more into throwing safer passes, and Gresham’s advantage over safeties and linebackers should help Palmer feel more comfortable on balls throw that way. B+
Denver Broncos: Demaryius Thomas, Tim Tebow – Oh Denver, you were doing so well with all your trade downs. Honestly, I like Thomas, I just think Dez Bryant is better. Also, I’m starting to like Tim Tebow, but mainly because there are so many haters for a guy that plays the game with all the passion and effort any fan could hope for. I think he has a chance to be a good quarterback at the NFL level, and now I’m rooting for him. I think Denver reached a little bit on both picks, and I would have loved to see them grab Dan Williams and Dez Bryant, but they traded down to get the guys they wanted at a better value than they would hvae been had they drafted them at their original draft slot. Take notes, Jacksonville, write it on your hand, use a sharpie. C+
Arizona Cardinals: Dan Williams – The Cardinals are good at drafting. Dan Williams is only going to make that elite defensive front that much better. Great value pick for the Cardinals, even though they didn’t have a high need at defensive tackle. A
New England Patriots: Devin McCourty – The Patriots traded down to draft who they wanted, and maybe McCourty is better made for their defensive schemes than Kyle Wilson – but I think the Patriots should have drafted Wilson at this spot, or Dez Bryant, or Jared Odrick – even Jahvid Best possibly. Smart teams draft corners that help in Round 1, but I thought there was a lot of value to be had elsewhere. C+
Miami Dolphins: Jared Odrick – The Dolphins traded down a few times and ended up with a great 3-4 defensive end prospect – a kid that has very functional strength on the football field, and a motor to match his ability. This is a perfect player for the Dolphins defense that needed help up front. They made a good choice to pass on a pass-rushing OLB with so many still on the board. A
New York Jets: Kyle Wilson – The Jets just gave themselves the best corner trio in football. Wilson’s ability to man up on receivers will allow the Jets to come up with some crazy blitzes and still be safe in coverage. They have 3 playmaking man corners that will do work for them. They are going to be good. Great value pick, as they didn’t feel like they needed to press for a need. They get an extra bonus for taking my top rated corner back. A
Indianapolis Colts: Jerry Hughes - The Colts are also smart. They happened to get the best pass rusher in the draft to fall into their laps at 31, and they took him. It’s not brain surgery, but they seem to make it look a lot easier than most. A+
New Orleans Saints: Patrick Robinson - The Saints see the value in adding depth and strength at corner. Robinson has the ability to help a Super Bowl caliber team right away at a position where they needed depth and ability. Good move by them. Great value? Probably not, but a good move nonetheless. B+

April 23rd, 2010, 11:09 am
RIP Killer

Video:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... -1-winners

April 23rd, 2010, 3:11 pm
RIP Killer

Quote:
First round: 10 best 'marriages'
Spiller to the Bills, Bryant to the Cowboys, Bulaga to the Packers among great fits
EmailPrintComments
retweet0
By Jeffri Chadiha
ESPN.com
Archive

Verizon Draft Analysis: C.J. Spiller
Herm Edwards breaks down the Bills' first-round draft pick C.J. Spiller
Tags: NFL, Nfl Draft, Buffalo Bills
Learn More » Report a bug » Feedback »
It seems the NFL's decision to make the draft a prime-time experience has paid big dividends so far. Thursday's first round flew by at a faster pace than we've ever seen. The moves became more interesting as it became apparent that some big names would be falling into the second round Friday. And there were plenty of surprising twists that nobody could've seen coming (such as Tim Tebow winding up with Denver after the Broncos made a series of unforeseen trades).

What hasn't changed about the draft, however, is the importance of the right marriages. As I've stated after many a draft, the players who usually become most productive in their rookie years are the ones who end up in the best situations. This season will be no different. In fact, here are the 10 players who should have an immediate impact on the field because of where they landed on Thursday.

1. Ndamukong Suh, DT, Detroit Lions: Sure, the Lions have been lousy for a long, long time. But just think of what Detroit head coach Jim Schwartz can do with an interior force like Suh. Schwartz thrived as a defensive coordinator in Tennessee when Pro Bowl defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth was running wild in the middle of that defense. Suh could have the same impact in Detroit and you can bet Schwartz and Lions coordinator Gunther Cunningham will get the most out of him.

2. Gerald McCoy, DT, Tampa Bay Buccaneers: The Bucs have been looking for the successor to Warren Sapp ever since he left town years ago. They just found the man they were looking for on Thursday night. That doesn't mean McCoy's presence will change a weak defense instantly. But if the Bucs return to their dominant ways in a few years, we'll look back and know the selection of McCoy started the ball rolling.
[+] Enlarge
Jim McIsaac/Getty Images
Fresno State RB Ryan Mathews should give the Chargers reasons to smile.
3. C.J. Spiller, RB, Buffalo Bills: This move has to excite Bills fans for two reasons. First, Spiller is a legitimate game-breaker who can be a mismatch nightmare on an offense that has been feeble the past few years. Second, he'll be playing for an imaginative head coach (Chan Gailey) who also will be calling the plays. Fred Jackson might be the foundation of the Bills' backfield but Spiller will energize that offense with his speed and versatility.
4. Ryan Mathews RB, San Diego Chargers: The Chargers traded plenty to move up 16 slots for Mathews, but it will be worth it in the end. He now joins an offense stocked with Pro Bowl talent. He also gets to share time with a proven playmaker in Darren Sproles and run the ball for a head coach (Norv Turner) who's at his best with an effective ground game. In other words, Mathews should be the front-runner for NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year.
5. Jason Pierre-Paul, DE, New York Giants: Pierre-Paul might be viewed as a one-year wonder by some skeptics, but he's destined for success with the Giants. How can this guy fail when he'll be rushing the passer opposite two players (Justin Tuck, Osi Umenyiora) with Pro Bowl credentials? In fact, Umenyiora might have been sent a not-so-subtle message with this move. If he wants to keep complaining about his situation, he might find himself expendable with the addition of Pierre-Paul.
6. Bryan Bulaga, OT, Green Bay Packers: The Packers had to be giddy about Bulaga falling to them at the 23rd pick. He was one of the top four players at his position going into the draft and there was plenty of speculation about Kansas City taking him with the fifth overall pick. Now he gets to improve a Packers offensive line that struggled mightily at times last season. In the process, he gets to help one of the youngest teams in the league continue its push into the realm of the elite.
7. Demaryius Thomas, WR, Denver Broncos: If there's one thing you can bet on, it's that Denver coach Josh McDaniels is not going to let the trade of disgruntled wide receiver Brandon Marshall haunt his tenure with the Broncos. McDaniels will do everything possible to turn Thomas into a star. It also doesn't hurt that Thomas can learn from savvy route runners like Eddie Royal and Brandon Stokley. If this kid isn't tearing up the league in two or three years, something will have gone dreadfully wrong.
[+] Enlarge
Donald Miralle/Getty Images
As a new Dallas Cowboy, ex-Oklahoma State Cowboys star Dez Bryant shouldn't have to worry about becoming the No.1 WR right away.
8. Dez Bryant, WR, Dallas Cowboys: For all the talk about the red flags surrounding Bryant, the bottom line is the guy can flat-out play. Now that he's going to Dallas, the chances of him showcasing that ability consistently are pretty high. For one thing, he won't face great scrutiny because the Cowboys already have a No. 1 receiver (Miles Austin) and a highly paid punching bag (Roy E. Williams). He also has a Pro Bowl quarterback (Tony Romo) and a creative offensive coordinator (Jason Garrett). Look, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones passed on Randy Moss back in 1998, when many people thought Moss had too much baggage for a first-round prospect. Bryant simply was too good for Jones to make the same mistake twice.

9. Kyle Wilson, CB, New York Jets: The Jets already have a Pro Bowl cornerback in Darrelle Revis and they traded for another talented player, Antonio Cromartie, in the offseason. So what does that mean for Wilson? Basically, Wilson can show up as a third corner and play with as little pressure as a first-round talent could imagine. It helps that he'll also be playing for a coach (Rex Ryan) who knows how to please players and get the most out of them.
10. Jerry Hughes, DE, Indianapolis Colts: Is there any other team in the league that gets more out of undersized defensive linemen than the Colts? Dwight Freeney has turned into a future Hall of Famer. Robert Mathis has become a Pro Bowl talent. This isn't to say that Hughes will become a megastar but given the Colts' history, you have to love his chances.

April 23rd, 2010, 4:28 pm
RIP Killer

steensn wrote:
Quote:
Then to the real winners in this draft so far. The Detroit Lions. They follow up an already amazing off-season with an equally impressive draft.

Ndamukong Suh Is the best plaer in this draft. If he stays healthy he, in my opinion, will have the best career of all the players in this draft.

Then you throw in trading back in the late first, and getting an explosive player like Jahvid Best (who I feel IS the best running back in this draft) was the cherry on top of the Sunday with the Lions. This is not your daddy's Lions.

Good stuff, I agree the draft turned out good on paper...but Best staying healthy and showing off that speed is the biggest key.

Suh is a no-doubter...but Best is all speed. If he can harness it in the pros like Chris Johnson, great, but please don't end up a purely situational player like Reggie Bush or Darren Sproles.

April 23rd, 2010, 6:53 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

If he ends up producing like Bush or Sproles he was well worth the 30th pick.

April 24th, 2010, 12:02 am
Profile ICQ WWW
#1 Overall Pick

Quote:

Buccaneers | Acquire 2011 fifth-round draft choice from Denver
Comment (0)
Sat, 24 Apr 2010 13:22:27 -0400

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers traded the 225th and 232nd selections in the 2010 NFL Draft to the Denver Broncos for a fifth-round draft choice in 2011, reports Adam Schefter, of ESPN.
Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/NFL?page=1#ixzz0m3teuT9F

Quote:
Denver Broncos - Maneuvered well to get the players they targeted, but Demaryius Thomas and Tim Tebow were both developmental boom-bust picks on a team needing immediate contributions.

Wow... the trade at the end of the draft is just icing on the cake. The fruit cake!

The Broncos draft Thomas over Dez Bryant.
They pick Tebow in the 1st round, which is looking like it might have been WAY earlier than anyone else was planning.
And they give up a 5th rounder for two 7th round picks.
They got only a move up from a 7th to a 5th for Scheffler.
The only got two 2nd round picks for Marshall, a top 5 NFL WR.... and 1 of those 2nd rounders went on to become Tebow.

I guess if Tebow becomes a Pro-bowl QB and DeMaryius is better than Dez Bryant.... the Broncos will look like geniuses.

If not.... does this become one of the worst drafts...... ever?

April 24th, 2010, 8:03 pm
RIP Killer

I'm telling you all, right now. Josh McDaniels will NOT be the head coach of the Denver Broncos by the start of the 2011 season. He has made some very, very bad moves in player trades and drafts.

He is driving this team straight into the ground. I don't know if he's solely responsible for the draft selections in Denver, but he's got to have a had in it. He is certainly the person responsible for the team losing Cutler, Marshall, Sheffler and Hillis. That's quite a bit of offensive talent to lose. There will definitely be repercussions.

April 24th, 2010, 9:22 pm
Junior Varsity

m2karateman wrote:
I'm telling you all, right now. Josh McDaniels will NOT be the head coach of the Denver Broncos by the start of the 2011 season. He has made some very, very bad moves in player trades and drafts.

He is driving this team straight into the ground. I don't know if he's solely responsible for the draft selections in Denver, but he's got to have a had in it. He is certainly the person responsible for the team losing Cutler, Marshall, Sheffler and Hillis. That's quite a bit of offensive talent to lose. There will definitely be repercussions.

Sorry, but I believe you'll be incorrect about this one. Believe it or not those moves and this draft have not exactly put Denver-ites in lynch mode.

I hate to put such a blunt edge on it, but seeing how revved so many on these forums are to bring guys like pacman to the Lions is a stark contrast to the atmosphere in Denver. They haven't had 10 years suffering in the millen abyss, preceded by 40+ years of alternating frustration (the Barry and Billy years not culminating in more then 1 playoff win and only a handful of appearances) and futility (pretty much all the other years). Ten years ago they saw the second of back-2-back Super Bowl wins and their favorite son Elway retire in glory.

But ever since it has been seemingly one random scandal/off-field incident after another. A lot people in Devner were tired of it. Talent and no character can only take you so far, and well... Cutler, Marshall and Scheffler especially simply weren't taking them far enough, fast enough, for all the drama they created.

McDaniels was handpicked by Bowlen for his Patriot pedigree, his Super Bowl rings and for his promise to bring in high character guys to take Denver back to the playoffs, and the understanding was he was going to overhaul every aspect of the team to do it- from changing the defense from the 4-3 to the 3-4, to changing the OL from zone to a more straight up scheme, to the way they'd run the offense, to bringing his own guys in.

He's pretty much just finished tearing down the house here, and now he's begun the renovations; and believe me, Bowlen is in no way disappointed that for the first time since not too long after #7 retired when all the talk centers around the Broncos he doesn't have to hear anyone pairing all that free publicity up with phrases like "jail time", "probation" or "x game suspension".

They've got Orton under contract for '10 and Quinn through '11 at very reaosnable salaries for QBs; Tebow can be brought along at whatever pace, selling jerseys and possibly exciting the fans with the occasional goalline jump pass. McDaniels might not have forever to turn it around, but unless they are sitting at 2-14 or 0-16 after next year... and maybe even then, his job will probably be safe for at least another year or two beyond that.

Believe it or not, but we'll see :arrow:

April 25th, 2010, 1:00 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I hate McDaniels, I hate the Broncos, and I hated their draft. I feel like McDaniel's is tying his own noose with this draft but I have a horribly strange feeling it won't be that bad. Hope I am wrong though.

April 25th, 2010, 2:09 am
Junior Varsity

Stallion wrote:
I hate McDaniels, I hate the Broncos, and I hated their draft. I feel like McDaniel's is tying his own noose with this draft but I have a horribly strange feeling it won't be that bad. Hope I am wrong though.

Tebow says " [-o< "

And I loved their draft. Loved even more that people hated it. :mrgreen:

April 25th, 2010, 2:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next