View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 21st, 2014, 2:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 2010 draft 
Pro Bowl Player

Head to head is not a tie-breaker when determining the draft order.

So much for finding the silver lining after yesterday's game!

November 2nd, 2009, 12:10 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

It's hard to pick the area of most need on this team when almost every spot is lacking. We need a whole new defense, at least 4 new o-line starters, another running back, receivers that can catch and then depth across the board. We'd need two more perfect drafts (which don't happen) and even that would only almost fill out the holes in the roster.

November 2nd, 2009, 1:03 pm
RIP Killer

It's hard to pick the area of most need on this team when almost every spot is lacking. We need a whole new defense, at least 4 new o-line starters, another running back, receivers that can catch and then depth across the board. We'd need two more perfect drafts (which don't happen) and even that would only almost fill out the holes in the roster.

With all due respect, I think you are overstating our needs. No team is loaded at every position. The Lions could use a durable pass rusher (Avril has not proven to be durable enough), another DT, definitely need at least one top tier cover corner, a franchise LT, a speed receiver (outside of Calvin our other guys have pedestrian speed) and at least one better offensive guard.

Much will depend on what happens this off-season, and Mayhew will be judged by what he is able to do. If he can find an upgrade at LT and LG, get a speed receiver with hands....I think our offense is OK from there. On defense, he needs to re-sign Larry Foote, get us a cover corner and a legitimate pass rush threat. That will be a pretty solid start. I would expect that the LG will be attempted via free agency, as well as the receiver. I don't see Marcus McNeil coming here, and Jeff Backus has shown he definitely is part of the problem, not the solution.

The Lions didn't have a perfect draft this year, I wouldn't expect Mayhew and Schwartz to get any draft perfect in the near future. They did a much better job than Millen, but I think they missed on a couple picks.

November 2nd, 2009, 2:11 pm
Team MVP

inheritedlionsfan wrote:

With all due respect, I think you are overstating our needs. No team is loaded at every position. The Lions could use a durable pass rusher (Avril has not proven to be durable enough), another DT, definitely need at least one top tier cover corner, a franchise LT, a speed receiver (outside of Calvin our other guys have pedestrian speed) and at least one better offensive guard.

Much will depend on what happens this off-season, and Mayhew will be judged by what he is able to do. If he can find an upgrade at LT and LG, get a speed receiver with hands....I think our offense is OK from there. On defense, he needs to re-sign Larry Foote, get us a cover corner and a legitimate pass rush threat. That will be a pretty solid start. I would expect that the LG will be attempted via free agency, as well as the receiver. I don't see Marcus McNeil coming here, and Jeff Backus has shown he definitely is part of the problem, not the solution.

The Lions didn't have a perfect draft this year, I wouldn't expect Mayhew and Schwartz to get any draft perfect in the near future. They did a much better job than Millen, but I think they missed on a couple picks.

I agree with you.

I do believe, though, that if we COULD get Suh, it would be a major boost. It wouldnt make us good all of a sudden, but it will give us some sort of defensive threat.

And Backus, ya..he HAS to go.

Are there any free agent LTs other than McNeil that would be an obvious upgrade to Backus?

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

November 2nd, 2009, 4:45 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

m2karateman wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:

I agree with you.

I do believe, though, that if we COULD get Suh, it would be a major boost. It wouldnt make us good all of a sudden, but it will give us some sort of defensive threat.

And Backus, ya..he HAS to go.

Are there any free agent LTs other than McNeil that would be an obvious upgrade to Backus?

If the CBA is worked out there are a lot of LT potentially hitting the market.

Jared Gaither-I am not 100% sure he may be a RFA. Anyways he is only 23 years old, 6-9 340LBS monster who only gave up 2 sacks last year. If he is a UFA I think he will hit the market looking for LT FA money instead of playing in Baltimore and possibly being moved to RT.

Winston Justice-He has had some rough spots to say the least. Recently he has taken over the RT spot due to injury and really stepped up his game.

Marcus McNeil-Massive LT who most noted for his outstanding rookie year. Many chargers fans have claimed he has dropped off since and the Chargers have a lot of other FA to wrap up...maybe he shakes free but I doubt it.

Donald Penn-Penn has really emerged as a talented LT for the Bucs. I find it extremely hard to believe that he will make it into the FA pool though.

Jamaal Brown-Brown is a very good LT. However he has a good chance of hitting the market. He went down with injurey and his backup is out preforming him. Saints also have to lock up RG Evans so Brown will likely be available

Adam Terry-Terry is a big OT who was at one point a 2nd rounder. He is one of those guys who you may be able to take a flier on but I wouldn't bank on him being our future at LT.

so yes there are allot of LT available and I really believe the lions need to lock someone up via FA instead of drafting someone.

November 2nd, 2009, 6:11 pm
QB Coach

inheritedlionsfan wrote:

I was exaggerating a little bit because I was so ticked off about the St. Louis game. We need another DT, a pass rushing DE, we need to keep Foote, we need at least one starting corner and 2-3 more for depth, another starting safety, a LT, LG, another WR or 2 and another RB. I think that's more than one offseason can achieve.

November 3rd, 2009, 11:45 am

m2karateman wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:

I was exaggerating a little bit because I was so ticked off about the St. Louis game. We need another DT, a pass rushing DE, we need to keep Foote, we need at least one starting corner and 2-3 more for depth, another starting safety, a LT, LG, another WR or 2 and another RB. I think that's more than one offseason can achieve.

I think that if we fix the LT and LG spot RB becomes less of a need.

November 3rd, 2009, 1:37 pm
QB Coach

Well I don't mean a starting back, but we need a complimentary back to Kevin Smith.

November 4th, 2009, 12:24 am
Team MVP

Well I don't mean a starting back, but we need a complimentary back to Kevin Smith.

I agree, but I wouldnt mind a starting back either. I like Kevin Smith, but not a lot. Like most say, no break away speed.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

November 4th, 2009, 1:36 am

Smith can carry the load, Morris can do all the little things, Brown is a speed back, Felton is a power back. I truelly think if we fix the OL we will be ok at the RB spot. Smith could be upgraded but he sure isn't the problem.

November 4th, 2009, 9:59 am
Mr. Irrelevant

\

I disagree, I think Smith is a complimentary back. He does nothing exceptionally well. Does not break many arm tackles, and as has been said before, can't take it to the house. What I see is a journeyman back. But hey, if the Lions draft or sign some O-line talent maybe he will prove me wrong.

November 4th, 2009, 7:24 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

The problem with Smith is his lack of vision and cutback ability through the hole. I'll be the first to rip the O-line but watching the games this season I've seen Smith miss numerous cutback lanes and instead barrel into his own blockers or the defenders that have filled in the designed running lane.

On a sidenote if you watch the ECU and V-Tech game tomorrow keep an eye on CJ Wilson (DE) and Linval Joseph (DT) for ECU.

November 4th, 2009, 8:20 pm
Varsity Captain

With USC getting rolled lately does that effect the draft status of Mays? I mean people will always fall in love with the potential guys and Im not saying thats right or wrong, but is drafting a centerfield type S really what we should be looking at?

November 16th, 2009, 2:33 pm
League MVP

not sure what picks we have this year, may have traded some picks but i bet you could get a late rounder out of maurice morris, fitzimmons, and dewayne white

RD1: Eric Berry, DB, TEN
RD2: Selvish Capers, T, West Virginia
Trade 2011 3rd for addl 3rd rd pick 2010
RD3: Mike Iupati, G, Idaho
RD3: Devin McCourty, CB, Rutgers
RD4: Brian Jackson, CB, Oklahoma
RD5: Legarrete Blount, RB, Oregon
RD6: Brandon Banks, KR, Kansas St
RD6: Torrel Troup, DT, Central Florida
RD7: Zoltan Mesko, P, Michigan

Leaves DE and WR as targets for Free agency but puts some young players on the OL and in the secondary where they are badly needed. Banks is a bigtime KR who might be picked earlier but is tiny if so I look for Holliday from LSU and I think Mesko could be great with some work on his accuracy. (Harris is not accurate and lacks power, Mesko would be better by his 2nd season). Dont know what DE or WR are available in FA but Id spend big on a passrushing DE. Blount is a nice talent if there in rd5 who could be similar to lendale white.

OFF

QB: Stafford, Kerry Collins, Stanton
RB: Smith, Blount, Brown
FB: Felton
WR: megatron, FA-Roy Williams to be cut?. Northcut, B Johnson, D Williams
TE: Pettigrew, Heller, Grankowski
LT: Capers LG: Peterman C: Raiola RG: Iupati RT: Cherilus
BN: Jansen, Ramirez, Loper

ST: K Hanson, P Mesko, KR/PR Banks, Northcut, D Williams

DEF
DE: FA, Avril, Hunter, McBride
DT: Hill, L Cohen, Fluellen, Troup
SLB: Peterson (contract status?), Levy
MLB: Foote, Dizon
WLB: Sims, Levy, Follet
CB: W James, Buchanon, D McCourt, King, Jackson
S: Delmas, Berry, Pearson, Henry

4 spots left : probably 2 LBs, a DL, and maybe another RB or DB that can play special teams

November 21st, 2009, 4:15 pm
QB Coach

What we need is Seattle to want a QB (or maybe the top LT considering how much Jones gets hurt) badly enough that they'll trade both first rounders to move up to get him. That will give us two picks in the middle to end of the round depending on how the season plays out in Seattle and Denver (since Denver traded their own first rounder to Seattle). That way we move down from #2 or #3 to around #12 or so and pick up a choice in the 20s. It will never happen but I'd love it to work out that way.

San Fran is the other team with two firsts (one from Carolina) but considering the Alex Smith debacle I doubt they'd be so ready to take another high first round QB.

November 21st, 2009, 4:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next