View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 17th, 2014, 1:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 2010 draft 
QB Coach

What we need is Seattle to want a QB (or maybe the top LT considering how much Jones gets hurt) badly enough that they'll trade both first rounders to move up to get him. That will give us two picks in the middle to end of the round depending on how the season plays out in Seattle and Denver (since Denver traded their own first rounder to Seattle). That way we move down from #2 or #3 to around #12 or so and pick up a choice in the 20s. It will never happen but I'd love it to work out that way.

San Fran is the other team with two firsts (one from Carolina) but considering the Alex Smith debacle I doubt they'd be so ready to take another high first round QB.

November 21st, 2009, 4:38 pm
Junior Varsity

First, throw the negativity out the window for a couple years. millen is gone (and hopefully Al Davis will do the world a favor and make him the next Raiders GM so he won't pollute the TV 3 days a week), and until they prove otherwise deserve the benefit of the doubt that at least they aren't the pathetic clods he was. I say this because of the blasphemous thing I'm about to type: I don't think we have nearly as many holes to fill as people like to think. Sure, the holes we have to fill are huge, important holes; but I really believe it can be done pretty handily over the next offseason, 2 at the worst. But outside of a need at LT, OG, DT, DE and CB (with an also admitted possibility at #2 WR- I'm personally hoping for some improvement from Bryant before seasons end... and even Calvin has had the drops this year), I really don't think we're in that bad of shape.

That said, I'm not going into all the draft picks, just the top couple and a quick wishlist for free agents that would fill out our team nicely, imo. If my memory serves (and it may not) we still owe Buffalo a conditional pick for Ko and still have the Broncos owe us their 5th or 6th rounder. For simplicities sake I'm just calling those 2 picks a wash.

1st round- Russell Okung (LT, Ok St). Sorry, but we just spent $40 mil guaranteed on a QB that almost got broken in half 4 games into his rookie campaign. If that isn't reason enough to draft a stud, franchise LT first I really don't know what is. I believe Okung can be that guy.

2nd round- Derrick Morgan(DE, Ga Tech). Because someone always falls farther then expected. I know Graham is the hometown favorite but I just like this guys upside more. If he isn't there then I'd lean towards Vince Oghobaase (DT, UNC) or Brandon Graham (DE, Michigan), either of which we might be able to move down and still be able to get.

3rd- If we get outside (DE) with our 2nd rounder I'd try inside (DT) with this pick, or vice versa. We just need more size and talent on the DL. If moving up is an option, maybe try to grab either Oghobaase or Graham with this pick, otherwise Iupati would be fine

Now for the really crazy talk...

Draft Okung and keep Backus. But instead of moving him to guard, where he'd be undersized and would probably get pushed around worse then he does now, move him to RT and move Cherilus inside. Cherilus (imo) has underperformed to this point at RT but still has the size and (once again, imo) the ability to handle a move inside. Backus, moving to the RT spot, wouldn't be facing the opposing teams best pass rushers and is already under contract for the next couple years anyways. This allows one draft pick to potentially upgrade 3 positions.

This would leave us with an OL of:
Okung, Iupati/Ramirez, Raiola, Cherilus, Backus

Our DL would consist of ideally:
Morgan (Graham)/Avril, Oghobaase, Hill, Hunter/McBride

The only glaring weakness this would leave is secondary, which is where the free agents come in. Dunta Robinson would be a huge pickup, especially if some of the young DBs we've signed off FA, and then have subsequently gotten injured, could come back next season and perform for us. The Steelers have both Clark and Tyrone Carter, I believe, hitting FA this season, and probably won't be able to keep both. Whichever they don't manage to sign I would not the Lions grabbing.

November 21st, 2009, 5:20 pm
League MVP

Derrick Morgan is probably going to be a top 15 pick, doesnt look like we ll be able to get him in round 2.

November 21st, 2009, 6:54 pm

I like where you're head is at, but I really don't think that Backus would be able to play RT. Not only does he get beat by fast passrushers, he also gets outmatched by strong athletic guys as well. I think the OL as a whole would perform better if Backus was moved to RT, but I don't think it is an answer, even temporarily. I would really rather see Backus play LG for us than RT or RG, but I definitely agree that LT is a must need if this team is going to start playing better.

As far as the DL goes, I would probably rather upgrade our secondary than our DL. We have some younger guys that are going to be getting better, adding strength and adding size... I expect CA to be slightly lager next year than this, SLH is going to develope more and probably get larger and more athletic, McBride, Hunter, and Cohen are all fairly young as well. I'm not saying that we're set at DL by any means, but I do think that they'll be better next year even if we don't add any players to our DL. I don't think the same is true about our secondary...

November 22nd, 2009, 4:34 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

November 23rd, 2009, 3:57 am
Pro Bowl Player

Trading back for S. Rogers would instantly solve our defensive line problems. I say pull that off and use the draft on secondary and offensive line.

November 23rd, 2009, 11:57 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

What do we have that the Browns would want? Other than CJ, BP, KS, and Staff, we have nobody on the offensive side of the ball they should want.

On the defensive side...would you want anyone from our D who would actually be tradeable? The only ones I can think of are White, Sims, Avril and that's about it.

Draft picks? We need everyone we can get.

Outside of that, I'd rather get a young guy who costs less (plus Big Baby's contract is huge and not worth it). I'd rather get a young guy much, much, much cheaper (both in terms of compensation and money).

November 23rd, 2009, 12:36 pm
Regarding trading for Big Baby...

What do we have that the Browns would want? Other than CJ, BP, KS, and Staff, we have nobody on the offensive side of the ball they should want.

On the defensive side...would you want anyone from our D who would actually be tradeable? The only ones I can think of are White, Sims, Avril and that's about it.

Outside of that, I'd rather get a young guy who costs less (plus Big Baby's contract is huge and not worth it). I'd rather get a young guy much, much, much cheaper (both in terms of compensation and money).

Rather than spend a draft pick on Dan Williams (projected 2nd round) why not trade the pick to Cleveland for Shaun Rogers? We'd get a better player, we'd more know what we're getting, and it would only cost us the draft pick that we were going to spend on a DT anyhow...

November 23rd, 2009, 4:51 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I honestly think Julian Peterson for Rogers would be a decent idea. Peterson is due more money then he is worth to us but in a 3-4 defense he would really shine.

To CTB:
Derrick Morgan will likely be gone by the 2nd, Inupati will likely be gone by the 3rd.

Also, Peterman has probably been our best OLineman this year so I would find it hard to replace him.

November 23rd, 2009, 5:18 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Regarding trading for Big Baby...

I'm with you on this. If Rogers could be had on the cheap then I'd be all for it. However, he is in the second half of his career and I wouldn't want to give up a round 2 pick--and big contract dollars--for a player whose long-term viability is a question mark. Rogers can still be a force, no doubt, but at this stage of his career his productivity will most likely decline each year. I would rather spend draft picks on players who will hit their stride in 2-3 years. Sure, Rogers would probably make a more immediate impact, but how long could we expect him to produce at that level?

November 23rd, 2009, 5:19 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I've been thinking about the draft a lot lately and I've come to the following conclusion: I want the Lions to only select between DT, DE, CB, and OG in the first three rounds. Of course, some of those may be addressed in FA, but an argument could be made that they need more than one player at each of those positions, other than maybe OG.

I know that the Lions could use another RB, especially because of the injury to Smith, but quality RBs can often be found in the mid to late rounds and I'd prefer that they go that route. Besides, I'm not overly impressed with any of the top RBs this year and feel that the Lions could get bigger bang for their buck at other positions early.

In the past, I've been one of the loudest advocates of replacing Backus at LT, but he's actually played fairly well this season. It could be because he's been pretty healthy this year, while he's usually been dealing with injuries over the past few years. Regardless, I don't see LT as a bigger need than the other positions that I listed.

I suppose a case could be made for WR, S, and perhaps LB if Foote and Peterson leave, but I don't think the need is as dire as the others. However, I wouldn't mind seing those positions added to in the mid to later rounds.

At this point, it looks like the Lions will have the 2nd overall pick. If the Rams select a QB, then Suh has to be the pick IMO. If he is gone, then I'm leaning toward Gerald McCoy right now. The reason being is that I believe most (if not all) of the top DTs will be taken in the 1st round. Dan Williams, Terrence Cody, Brian Price, and perhaps Jared Odrick probably won't fall to the 2nd and I'm really not sold on Marvin Austin or Arthur Jones. Get a top, game-changing DT while you can.

The 2nd round could be very interesting with many quality players available. If Mike Iupati somehow falls here, he just may have to be the pick. There could also be several good CBs (Donovan Warren, Brandon Ghee, Patrick Robinson, Perrish Cox) and DEs (Carlos Dunlap, Greg Hardy, Brandon Graham, Greg Romeus, Jason Pierre-Paul) to choose from. I'm sure most of those players will be gone, but more than a couple of them will still be on the board.

Assuming that the Lions go DT in the 1st and either CB or DE in the 2nd, OG could be addressed in the 3rd with a player like Mike Johnson, Jon Asamoah, Maurkice or Mike Pouncey. Then again, there should still be decent DEs and CBs available if the Lions didn't draft one in the 2nd.

I should add that this is just my opinion of what I think the Lions should do and some of you probably feel differently. If so, tell me which positions you want to see them draft instead. There isn't a right or wrong answer here and I'm sure that opinions vary greatly.

December 26th, 2009, 2:56 pm
Team MVP

I agree with you almost 100%. Im huge on taking Suh if we can get him, unless we get an unbelievable trade offer from someone, and to me its gonna take an unbelieveable trade offer to NOT take Suh.

Personally, I dont think Iupati will make it past the 2nd round, if not first round, so if we can get him with our 2nd round pick, id do it in a heart beat.

After that, im all about BPA, regardless of position.

Whats cool is that most of us here on LionBacker have pretty close to the same opinions on the draft based on who we think is good and who the Lions should take....I just hope the Lions organization is thinking the same thing as us.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

December 26th, 2009, 3:42 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I was going to start a new thread but figured this would do unless someb ody wants to start a "bowl players to watch" thread.

The game I'm excited to see is the UNC/Pitt game especially when it comes to defensive players on both teams. I'm really interested in seeing how Jolly does against Romeus (my favorite DE if he declares). Both sides have very good defensive players that will be eligible for this year or next.

December 26th, 2009, 5:35 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

The Great Blue North Draft Report updates their "who to watch" list every day during bowl season to include that day's games. Here's the link:
http://www.gbnreport.com/bowlwatch.htm

December 26th, 2009, 6:07 pm
RIP Killer

Surprised Little want on the watch list for UNC. He seems like a potentially good possession wr with his size. Made a great catch over top of two defenders for a Td... but then proceeded to punt the ball into the stands.

December 26th, 2009, 6:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next