View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 23rd, 2014, 12:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 What about after the top 5 are picked? 
Team MVP

Post What about after the top 5 are picked?
If we happen to be picking between picks 5-10, that kinda brings a new list of players to choose from. As of now, you can say bye to Suh and McCoy id imagine.

Id still stick with defense, but if Mays or Berry are available, id like one of them. Also, id love to get Brandon Spikes.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

October 24th, 2009, 12:39 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I would go Berry. We really need some help at CB but there are not any good options at this point. Delmas and Berry overtop would atleast help out the CBs.

October 24th, 2009, 12:55 pm
RIP Killer

The more I watch Berry play, the more I think he should transition to CB in the pros, rather than continue at S. He doesn't have the big frame like an NFL safety needs, and he is better is man pass coverage than most.

I think if the Lions were to take him, they'd have to try him at corner first.

October 24th, 2009, 2:20 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

The more I watch Berry play, the more I think he should transition to CB in the pros, rather than continue at S. He doesn't have the big frame like an NFL safety needs, and he is better is man pass coverage than most.

I think if the Lions were to take him, they'd have to try him at corner first.

I wonder where I heard that before? Hmmm, that's right. I said it last month in another thread. :D I don't think many people took me seriously, but Berry has the skills to do it and he has played a little bit of CB at UT already.

It all depends on where the Lions end up drafting, but if they pick around 10th, I wouldn't rule out CB Joe Haden. He may not be very big or that physical, but he sticks to WRs like glue. He's the best pure cover guy I've seen in college thus far.

October 24th, 2009, 3:02 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

IMO that would be a huge mistake... You'd take someone with the potential to be Ed Reed (They're the same size) and marginalize is skills to play out of position... I don't see where he has the fluidity in his hips or the change of direction skills to be an elite CB...

If they take Berry he should be put in a position to do what he does best... Read the QB and cause turnovers...

October 24th, 2009, 4:22 pm
Team MVP

IMO that would be a huge mistake... You'd take someone with the potential to be Ed Reed (They're the same size) and marginalize is skills to play out of position... I don't see where he has the fluidity in his hips or the change of direction skills to be an elite CB...

If they take Berry he should be put in a position to do what he does best... Read the QB and cause turnovers...

I agree completely. Im not a big fan of transitioning players to other positions. But thats just me. Im not a football coach.

Maybe im crazy, but watching UoM/Penn St. game today, someone that really stood out to me was DT Jared Odrick of Penn St. Maybe take him in the later rounds?

But back to the subject....Im also a big supporter of Berry since theres no elite CB as of now. And like mentioned earlier, Delmas and Berry could back the CB's out pretty well. Comparing Berry/Mays...its not like Berry CANT hit. Ive seen him lay it out a few times.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

October 24th, 2009, 11:17 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

i like mays more then berry hes faster bigger and stronger all things that cant be taught...... and just an fyi i kno madden has nothing to do with it but mays is a 81 with a potential and berry is a 67 with b potential

October 24th, 2009, 11:36 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

If the Lions are drafting out of the top 5 my 2 guys (Gerald McCoy/Suh) most likely would be gone. I'm looking at Russell Okung or Carlos Dunlap next. The Lions have improve the trenches and good linemen go quickly in the draft.

Now if I want CB I'm going with Joe Haden not switching Berry. There is nothing dumber to do on draft day than draft a player that high and ask him to change positions. And speaking of switching positions I'm not convinced that Taylor Mays won't wind up at LB in the NFL.

October 25th, 2009, 9:15 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

There is nothing dumber to do on draft day than draft a player that high and ask him to change positions.

There are lots of cumber things to do on draft day. For example let Millen run your teams draft...

October 27th, 2009, 12:37 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Players switch positions from college to the pros all the time. The most common is 4-3 DEs becoming 3-4 OLBs, but it doesn't stop there. OTs switch to OG, QBs become WRs, DTs move to 3-4 DE, etc. IMO, it wouldn't be much of a stretch to move Berry to CB, especially since he has played it before. It may not be ideal, but it's not impossible.

October 27th, 2009, 11:17 am
Mr. Irrelevant

Players switch positions from college to the pros all the time. The most common is 4-3 DEs becoming 3-4 OLBs, but it doesn't stop there. OTs switch to OG, QBs become WRs, DTs move to 3-4 DE, etc. IMO, it wouldn't be much of a stretch to move Berry to CB, especially since he has played it before. It may not be ideal, but it's not impossible.

I'm not saying it can't be done, just that I think it would be better to have a great Safety than a possibly good CB...

For the record I am not a fan of Dunlap or Haden... Lafell absolutely crushed Haden when they played.... It wasn't even close... I think they both need to stay for their senior seasons...

October 27th, 2009, 1:39 pm
Team MVP

slybri19 wrote:

I'm not saying it can't be done, just that I think it would be better to have a great Safety than a possibly good CB...

For the record I am not a fan of Dunlap or Haden... Lafell absolutely crushed Haden when they played.... It wasn't even close... I think they both need to stay for their senior seasons...

I agree with you. I would rather have a great safety.

October 27th, 2009, 3:03 pm
Modmin Dude

Yahoo wrote:
Defensive back growing as latest glamour spot

OAKLAND, Calif. – JaMarcus Russell(notes) dropped back to pass, set his feet and uncorked a picturesque spiral toward the middle of the end zone, where wideout Todd Watkins(notes) was headed on a streak pattern. Thanks to a pair of turnovers by the struggling quarterback, the Raiders already trailed the Jets by two touchdowns late in the first quarter of Sunday’s 38-0 defeat at the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum, and this was Russell’s shot at getting his team back into the game.

Watkins went up to get the ball, but before the receiver could make a play, Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis(notes) closed quickly from the outside and soared up over him to make a lunging grab. A cascade of boos ensued, but in this particular case Russell shouldn’t have been the object of criticism.

Instead, Raiders fans should have begrudgingly cheered Revis, a third-year cornerback from Pitt who made the Pro Bowl last season and will probably turn that into an annual habit. His 10th career pick was that good.

“I was just trying to go out there and make a play,” Revis said afterward, downplaying his accomplishment. “It’s just an interception.”

(As Revis spoke, I looked above his locker and saw a hologram of The Fonz shaking his head incredulously: “And I suppose your mother was ‘just a mother.’ ” But I digress.)

Revis can shrug off his awesomeness all he wants, but Sunday was the first time I’ve seen him play in person, and he made a huge impression. In a game that featured the man widely considered to be the NFL’s best cornerback, the Raiders’ Nnamdi Asomugha(notes), I’m not so sure we weren’t witnessing Nos. 1 and 1a.

The reality is that great defensive-back play has been on display all season in stadiums across America. More than at any point since Prime Time was in his prime, cornerbacks and safeties are stepping up and assuming starring roles.

Think about it: Recent glamour positions on defense like pass rusher and middle linebacker are in a bit of a slump, devalued by retirements (Michael Strahan(notes), Warren Sapp(notes)), age (Ray Lewis(notes)) and injury (Brian Urlacher(notes)). Even on offense, with quarterbacks as the obvious exception, there’s a distinct dearth of comparable buzz; it can be argued that running backs and wideouts aren’t overwhelming the football world with legions of breakout stars as much as in recent years.

Instead, it’s an era of safety first – Ed Reed(notes), Troy Polamalu(notes), Adrian Wilson(notes) and Brian Dawkins(notes) led their respective teams to conference-title games last season – and lots of action at the corner of Shut and Down.

Look at the season’s first seven weeks, and the primary reason for a team’s success almost always comes back to its secondary:

• Wondering why the Bengals (5-2) have already won more games than they did all of last season? Carson Palmer’s(notes) return to health and Chad Ochocinco’s(notes) renewed focus are big reasons, but the play of cornerbacks Leon Hall(notes) and Johnathan Joseph(notes) has been just as huge.

• Earlier this season I wrote that the Broncos’ acquisition of Dawkins had made the biggest impact of any offseason free-agent signing. Certainly, Dawkins has played a major role in Denver’s 6-0 start and No. 1 ranking in scoring defense. However, I’d now have to concede that the Saints’ signing of former Vikings (and Packers) safety Darren Sharper(notes) was equally significant. With his third interception return for touchdown on Sunday – and the 11th of his career, one shy of Rod Woodson’s NFL record – Sharper did two things: Bolstered his Hall of Fame credentials (he’s definitely got a shot) and became the early frontrunner for NFL defensive player of the year honors. Oh, and New Orleans is also 6-0, and in a familiar place on our weekly list of queries.

The defending champion Steelers suffered their only two defeats while Polamalu was sidelined by a knee injury. Coincidence? I think not. Meanwhile, the NFC champion Cardinals’ recent revival has been keyed by Wilson, a perennial Pro Bowler; Antrel Rolle(notes), a failed cornerback who, having been converted to safety, is playing much better football than most people realize; and second-year cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie(notes), an athletic wonder who is an emerging star.

• The Vikings, who started 6-0 before losing at Pittsburgh on Sunday, faced the Steelers without their most accomplished cornerback, Antoine Winfield(notes), who reportedly has a fractured right foot. Winfield, a ferocious tackler despite his slight (5-foot-9, 180 pounds) frame, claims he might play in Sunday’s NFC North showdown with the Packers at Lambeau Field, though some reports peg his likely absence as four-to-six weeks. Even though the hype is about Brett Favre’s(notes) return to Green Bay, trust me, Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers(notes) is a lot more concerned about the prospect of facing Winfield than he is his legendary predecessor.

As for Revis, he has some talented counterparts in the Jets’ secondary, including fifth-year safety Kerry Rhodes(notes), a big hitter with star potential. With all of its talent in the defensive backfield, Rex Ryan’s team might be able to endure the season-ending knee injury suffered by nose tackle Kris Jenkins(notes) and make a playoff run.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=m ... &type=lgns

October 27th, 2009, 4:10 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

I'm talking about at the very top of the draft. I'm not gonna draft an undersized DE who's never played LB and move him there if I'm picking in the top 5 or top 10 even. You want to do that at #20 then it's a different story.

October 31st, 2009, 11:31 am
Team MVP

Most of us want the Lions taking Suh if we had the chance, but what if we couldnt but Gerald McCoy fell to us, would you still go DT? All the talk is on Suh, is McCoy still a top notch DT that could help us out?

November 3rd, 2009, 4:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next