View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 2nd, 2014, 1:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Would you trade up to #8 to get Rolle? 
National Champion

Post Would you trade up to #8 to get Rolle?
Here's an idea: let's say that Rolle and one of the running backs slips to Arizona at #8. Would you trade the Lions' fourth round pick to move up two spots (thus leapfrogging over Washington) to switch with Arizona and draft Rolle? Would your opinion change if DJ was on the board? The trade value about works out, and assuming that Arizona wants a running back, they'll be getting the same player at #10 that they would at #8.

April 22nd, 2005, 3:11 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

No, I think that if we stay at 10, someone good enough will fall, whether its jones, rolle, DJ, Williams or whoever.

April 22nd, 2005, 3:12 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

No, I think that if we stay at 10, someone good enough will fall, whether its jones, rolle, DJ, Williams or whoever.

I'm with BS - 2053.

I would not trade up.

April 22nd, 2005, 3:18 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

April 22nd, 2005, 3:18 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Rolle won't make it past #6.

I tend to agree but I wouldn't be shocked if the Titans took Pac Man. In fact, I don't think it is completely out of the question that Rolle is the 3rd CB taken overall - but doubtful. If that is the case, Rolle is sitting there at 10.

Unlikely - yes - but this is the draft we are talking about.

April 22nd, 2005, 3:24 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

No trade ups, despite what Millen said. I have a strong feeling that one or more of the players that Matt said they have 'targeted' will fall to number ten. The question is, which teams will have those players targeted as well and be willing to make a trade with Detroit? I think of the players that the Lions have targeted. only Rolle and Johnson are ones they will select rather than trade down from. All others will be fair game for trade bait, including QBs Alex Smith of Aaron Rogers.

April 22nd, 2005, 3:59 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

Pull the trigger. He is our guy. A good DE will fall to us in the second if we want to go that route. There isn't much of a difference between the DE's IMO. And I still stand by the idea that we don't need a DE next year. Our front seven was our strongest part of the entire team last year. Our week point was in the secondary. Picture a secondary that starts Bly(CB1) Bryant(CB2) Kennedy(SS) and Rolle(FS) With our nickle back being Kevin Smith which it seems most people in this forum are high on. How can we turn that down? I say get rolle and then get a guy that falls possibly Cody, Erasmus James, Matt Roth or a guy that I think will be a great rush end in Justin Tuck. Redding is a good early down back we are just short that rush presence. I think Cody or Tuck will be something special in this league.

April 22nd, 2005, 7:12 pm
RIP Killer

Rolle is not a free safety and no team will waste it's time trying to make him one. Additional pressure from opposite James Hall will do more than adding a rookie free safety who is playing out of position. Last year teams picked the secondary apart because we had two corners who got injured early in the year and never really fully recovered, we had a strong safety who flat out sucked the life out of the defense, and a free safety who has his best years behind him and kept trying to cover for the strong safety who was out of position too many times than I care to count. If a professional quarterback is given enough time, I don't care if you have three Deion Sanders, Ed Reed and Ronnie Lott (all in their primes) out there covering the Olsen Twins, Bill Schroeder and Teddy the Wonder Sloth, someone will get open.

Trade down, take a defensive end and pick up a free safety later. Besides, next year three of the four defensive ends we currently have under contract won't be any longer.

April 22nd, 2005, 9:32 pm
Stadium Announcer

No trading up. There will be a good defensive guy at 10.The question is if someone else wants to give us enough to leave the 10 spot.

April 22nd, 2005, 9:36 pm
Pro Bowl Player

David Pollack has been my number 1 since day 1...... Nobody has given me an argument worthy of me changing my mind yet... He is who the Lions need! I wouldnt mind Derrick Johnson either

April 22nd, 2005, 9:42 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Benchwarmer

Location: Tampa, Florida...my pool is 90 today and it'll be 90 for Christmas morning!
Pull the trigger. He is our guy. A good DE will fall to us in the second if we want to go that route. There isn't much of a difference between the DE's IMO. And I still stand by the idea that we don't need a DE next year. Our front seven was our strongest part of the entire team last year. Our week point was in the secondary. Picture a secondary that starts Bly(CB1) Bryant(CB2) Kennedy(SS) and Rolle(FS) With our nickle back being Kevin Smith which it seems most people in this forum are high on. How can we turn that down? I say get rolle and then get a guy that falls possibly Cody, Erasmus James, Matt Roth or a guy that I think will be a great rush end in Justin Tuck. Redding is a good early down back we are just short that rush presence. I think Cody or Tuck will be something special in this league.

I love the idea of Rolle back there with our DB's. I just don't know if he'll slip to us, so would you settle for DJ #1, Poole or Bullock #2, then DE/DT in the third? Somebody is going to fall to our 3rd pick with how stocked the draft is with first and second rd rated D lineman. We might have 2 or 3 of those guys to chose from. Then if we get a good DE in this years draft we go after a DT in next years and vise-versa. 8)

April 22nd, 2005, 11:03 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Murtyle,

You make a great argument...

But this is by far a better one.

m2karateman wrote:
Rolle is not a free safety and no team will waste it's time trying to make him one. Additional pressure from opposite James Hall will do more than adding a rookie free safety who is playing out of position. Last year teams picked the secondary apart because we had two corners who got injured early in the year and never really fully recovered, we had a strong safety who flat out sucked the life out of the defense, and a free safety who has his best years behind him and kept trying to cover for the strong safety who was out of position too many times than I care to count. If a professional quarterback is given enough time, I don't care if you have three Deion Sanders, Ed Reed and Ronnie Lott (all in their primes) out there covering the Olsen Twins, Bill Schroeder and Teddy the Wonder Sloth, someone will get open....

However...

m2karateman wrote:
...Trade down, take a defensive end and pick up a free safety later. Besides, next year three of the four defensive ends we currently have under contract won't be any longer.

I say, trade down for a DE only if DJ is not there.

April 23rd, 2005, 6:18 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]