View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 19th, 2014, 1:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 08 draft 
National Champion

Strawberries&Chocolat wrote:
And, of course, the Lions didn't draft a single player worth their salt after the third round (excluding, of course, Caleb Campbell who is serving our country, but was still a wasted pick).

Did you forget about Jerome Felton (5th round) and Landon Cohen (7th round)?. I'm not saying that they're great players, but atleast they're still on the team and playing. Just the fact that 7 players from that draft are still on the roster makes it one of Millen's better drafts. If he could have done that in his previous years, the Lions wouldn't be in the poor condition that they find themselves in today.

I hear what you're saying but I'm not sure that either of those players meets the lofty "worth his salt" standard :lol:. We're talking about a fullback/halfback tweener with 3.3 yards per carry and a backup defensive lineman who has never recorded a sack on a team where a rookie 4th round pick out of Stilman College is considered a starter. It's just my opinion but I think their presence on the roster has more to do with "somebody has to make it" rather than "these are decent players."

November 15th, 2009, 11:32 am
RIP Killer

slybri19 wrote:
And, of course, the Lions didn't draft a single player worth their salt after the third round (excluding, of course, Caleb Campbell who is serving our country, but was still a wasted pick).

Did you forget about Jerome Felton (5th round) and Landon Cohen (7th round)?. I'm not saying that they're great players, but atleast they're still on the team and playing. Just the fact that 7 players from that draft are still on the roster makes it one of Millen's better drafts. If he could have done that in his previous years, the Lions wouldn't be in the poor condition that they find themselves in today.

I hear what you're saying but I'm not sure that either of those players meets the lofty "worth his salt" standard :lol:. We're talking about a fullback/halfback tweener with 3.3 yards per carry and a backup defensive lineman who has never recorded a sack on a team where a rookie 4th round pick out of Stilman College is considered a starter. It's just my opinion but I think their presence on the roster has more to do with "somebody has to make it" rather than "these are decent players."

You are talking about fifth and seventh round picks. I think your standards for them are more lofty than they should be. Felton has been used almost exclusively as a fullback, rarely as a halfback. Cohen has played decently when he's been in there. Would they have made it as backups on other teams? It depends on the team. But considering that we've had second and third round picks who have played LESS than those two, I'd say they've done well enough for some level of recognition.

November 15th, 2009, 5:17 pm
National Champion

slybri19 wrote:

You are talking about fifth and seventh round picks. I think your standards for them are more lofty than they should be. Felton has been used almost exclusively as a fullback, rarely as a halfback. Cohen has played decently when he's been in there. Would they have made it as backups on other teams? It depends on the team. But considering that we've had second and third round picks who have played LESS than those two, I'd say they've done well enough for some level of recognition.

But I would say that they're only successful in a relative way. I think we've been burned by so many drafts that we've deluded ourselves into thinking that a fifth or seventh round pick is decent just because he manages to stick on the roster for two years. For example, Kelly Butler stuck around and even started for us for a few years but quickly fell off the face of the Earth whne he was released.

November 15th, 2009, 9:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2