View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 26th, 2014, 12:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Do you want the #1 overall pick again? 
Pro Bowl Player

But being first has other benefits we shouldn't ignore, like first to pick in the later rounds and waiver claims. I'm all for trading the number one pick if we get it, but my understanding is that it's cost prohibitive and that's why it rarely happens.

November 16th, 2009, 11:04 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

But being first has other benefits we shouldn't ignore, like first to pick in the later rounds and waiver claims. I'm all for trading the number one pick if we get it, but my understanding is that it's cost prohibitive and that's why it rarely happens.

Exactly why we don't want the number one overall pick again. We already have a number one AND number two pick contracts that are saddling this team. Another number one pick will mean that roughly 25-35% of the payroll will be dedicated to three players....you don't win squat that way.

It is EXACTLY the reason why the NFL has to tell the agents and NFLPU to get f**ked when it comes to their arguments against a rookie cap. Bad teams picking high are supposed to create parity. But rookie salaries, particularly in the top portion of the first round, prevent parity because supporting cast players will be run-of-the-mill, or worse.

November 16th, 2009, 1:28 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

We have to trade back, even if we get the raw end of the deal.

We need so many starters it's not funny.

CB
CB
DT
DE
LB (especially if Foote doesn't resign)
OG
C
LT
WR

The problem is that nobody wants the 1st overall pick. I don't mean that they don't want to give up a lot for it--I mean they don't want it at all, under any circumstances. If I'm a GM with the 15th overall pick and I'm offered to swap for the 1st overall pick for my #15 straight up, I'm probably going to pass. There would have to be an unbelievable prospect at a position of need in order for me to even consider it. I'd much rather sit at #15 and see who falls to me.

In theory, I'm all for trading down but there is a reason why nobody ever does.

What I would like to see--if a rookie wage scale isn't introduced--is letting the worst team CHOOSE its draft position each year. So if the Lions are the worst team, they can opt to pick at #5, #15, #32, or wherever they want. The second worst team would make the next choice, and so on. Automatically linking the worst team to the first pick is really making bad teams even worse.

November 16th, 2009, 1:28 pm
RIP Killer

conversion02 wrote:
We have to trade back, even if we get the raw end of the deal.

We need so many starters it's not funny.

CB
CB
DT
DE
LB (especially if Foote doesn't resign)
OG
C
LT
WR

The problem is that nobody wants the 1st overall pick. I don't mean that they don't want to give up a lot for it--I mean they don't want it at all, under any circumstances. If I'm a GM with the 15th overall pick and I'm offered to swap for the 1st overall pick for my #15 straight up, I'm probably going to pass. There would have to be an unbelievable prospect at a position of need in order for me to even consider it. I'd much rather sit at #15 and see who falls to me.

In theory, I'm all for trading down but there is a reason why nobody ever does.

What I would like to see--if a rookie wage scale isn't introduced--is letting the worst team CHOOSE its draft position each year. So if the Lions are the worst team, they can opt to pick at #5, #15, #32, or wherever they want. The second worst team would make the next choice, and so on. Automatically linking the worst team to the first pick is really making bad teams even worse.

Interesting theory, but I think the problem with letting the worst team picks its draft position is that the agents will still want that player selected at that position to get paid as if he were the top overall selection.

Rookie cap.....it works in the NBA, it will work in the NFL. No holdouts, no ball and chain to an unproven player for years, much more fair to veteran role players who otherwise wouldn't get a shot on a team because the franchise is tied to a worthless contract.

November 16th, 2009, 1:34 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

I say to heck with it, If we get stuck with #1 and no rookie cap is implemanted......lets make history and skip it on purpose. We pick when we want and let #1-3 go right on by without a pick By the Detroity Lions. That will tick off the NFL regulators....but force them take a much harder look at how they are allowing bad teams to be hamstrung.

November 16th, 2009, 3:25 pm
Team MVP

Well..if it gets us Suh, then ill take it any day.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

November 17th, 2009, 11:15 am
RIP Killer

Suh or not...this team lacks starters at a dozen positions. We need a dozen talented starters, not 1 star and 1 starter.

I'd lube up, trade down and give someone a deal to get multiple picks.

Plus, this team doesn't need another $70M contract.

November 17th, 2009, 11:30 am
1st Round Pick

Last year i wanted to draft curry and in no way did i want to trade down. this year we have so many holes I wouldnt mind trading down. I dont even Know where to start building this team. I was going to say defense but we already have 2 building blocks on offense in Stafford and Calvin to one on defense Dalmas. Some gm's/ coach's belive you bulid up one part of your team having a strong offense or defense and get bye with mediocrity on the other side of the ball. The lions are so bad we dont have medocrity on either side of the ball. I guess i'd go defense. If we had a better d we wouldnt have to score as many points and we could win some games 21-17 ect.

November 17th, 2009, 2:21 pm
RIP Killer

Last year i wanted to draft curry and in no way did i want to trade down. this year we have so many holes I wouldnt mind trading down. I dont even Know where to start building this team. I was going to say defense but we already have 2 building blocks on offense in Stafford and Calvin to one on defense Dalmas. Some gm's/ coach's belive you bulid up one part of your team having a strong offense or defense and get bye with mediocrity on the other side of the ball. The lions are so bad we dont have medocrity on either side of the ball. I guess i'd go defense. If we had a better d we wouldnt have to score as many points and we could win some games 21-17 ect.

We have other building blocks on both sides of the ball. Pettigrew may not be doing as well as most of us would hope, but he's still considered a building block. You might also consider Gosder Cherilus a building block, due to his first round status. Aside from those four, you have not much to build on. Kevin Smith? I am beginning to believe he should be a backup.

On defense, we have Levy and Hill as building blocks. I think both will turn out to be pretty good players. Is Sims still a building block? I think not. Delmas for sure, but nobody else. The defense is definitely more void of talent than the offense, in a big way. The Lions have to be able to find solid to elite talent well into the middle rounds for the next two years for this team to gain some legitimacy. What's even worse is, even if we can draft the players, they'll need at least a season or two longer to mature into their roles. By that time, some of our other good young players will have their contracts come up, and the Lions will likely lose some of them to free agency.

It's up to Schwartz to get this team believing in itself....maybe not for this season, but for the next couple.

November 17th, 2009, 3:12 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

November 19th, 2009, 4:22 am
Would can we get for Kevin Smith?

Probably a 3rd round pick... Same thing we gave up to get him...

November 19th, 2009, 5:14 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Trade ups for the #1 pick only happens for sure fire QBs aside from the Orlando Pace year. Id be fine with the #1 pick and the contract, as long as it gets the Lions a top quality, safe, slam dunk player at a need position with a low learning curve. Thats Suh.

November 21st, 2009, 12:25 pm
NFL Team Captain

Wouldn't it be scary if Cleveland got the first pick and took Suh? Him next to Big Baby would make me wet myself if I was a RB asked to take it up the gut :shock:

November 21st, 2009, 1:25 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Cleveland will have a whole new regime in place for the draft...New Coaches LOOOOVE new QB's. especially when thiers stink so bad. Suh should be safe against the Browns IMO.

November 21st, 2009, 1:30 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

To me it's less about the money and more about getting the right player if the Lions draft #1 and take Suh and he turns out to be the next Warren Sapp than he's worth the money.

If they pick lower and take somebody else and he doesn't pan out than it's a waste of money.

November 22nd, 2009, 12:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next