View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 26th, 2014, 10:10 am



Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Do you want the #1 overall pick again? 
Author Message
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3378
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post 
Leo wrote:
To me it's less about the money and more about getting the right player if the Lions draft #1 and take Suh and he turns out to be the next Warren Sapp than he's worth the money.

If they pick lower and take somebody else and he doesn't pan out than it's a waste of money.


Agree.

I want Suh also.

I used to say lets take BPA available, but now im almost 100% set on "Lets take the BPA thats a DT or LT".

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


November 22nd, 2009, 12:48 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9954
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post 
kdsberman wrote:
Leo wrote:
To me it's less about the money and more about getting the right player if the Lions draft #1 and take Suh and he turns out to be the next Warren Sapp than he's worth the money.

If they pick lower and take somebody else and he doesn't pan out than it's a waste of money.


Agree.

I want Suh also.

I used to say lets take BPA available, but now im almost 100% set on "Lets take the BPA thats a DT or LT".


But in the salary cap era, it MUST be about the money as well. No team will be successful with 30-35% of its payroll dedicated to three players. Stafford, Calvin and ????

And let us not forget that we still are paying Sims, Pettigrew and Cherilus as first rounders, in addition to overpaying for Backus and Raiola to retain them.

Getting another first overall pick may help talent wise, but we won't have enough payroll left over to land some good support players. And regardless of how much talent we have a a few individual positions, without those solid support players this team does NOT improve overall.


November 22nd, 2009, 2:02 pm
Profile
Pro Bowl Player
User avatar

Joined: March 6th, 2006, 1:29 am
Posts: 2490
Location: The Terrordome
Post 
Want it or not, we're the worst team in the league.

_________________
"If you worry about what the fans say, you’re going to be sitting with them."
-Jim Schwartz


November 22nd, 2009, 2:37 pm
Profile WWW
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3378
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post 
Yes we definetly are. And im pretty darn sure we are the #1 pick after how this game is going.

M2karateman..
Your definetly right about the money thing. But the problem is unless we win we cant avoid it, so we might as well TRY and get excited of the possibility of getting a guy like Suh.

Your also right about support players and the lack of them we have. Its gonna be a slow process, but me personally have confidence that they can do it.

I know this is definetly NOT reality, but what if we had a draft 100% FULL of O and D lineman. I know it wouldnt ever happen, but at least in that group you'd have a better chance of finding star lineman rather than taking one here or there and worrying that they might end up being busts even if they are taken in the first round. Just a though. Not to mention games are won in the trenches and lineman as a whole are probably our biggest need.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


November 22nd, 2009, 2:52 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2007, 5:51 pm
Posts: 2289
Post 
kdsberman wrote:
Not to mention games are won in the trenches and lineman as a whole are probably our biggest need.


I agree with Games are won, but CB is still our biggest need. Cleveland is proving that today. They can't cover long enough to allow pressure to reach the Qb, meaning we cant seem to cover even 3 step drops. If the Qb can make the throw, its successfull.

Our Dline sucks too , and cant get much pressure, but it doesnt matter how good they get if a the Cbs cant cover a 3 step drop - pattern.


November 22nd, 2009, 3:48 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3378
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post 
DJ-B wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
Not to mention games are won in the trenches and lineman as a whole are probably our biggest need.


I agree with Games are won, but CB is still our biggest need. Cleveland is proving that today. They can't cover long enough to allow pressure to reach the Qb, meaning we cant seem to cover even 3 step drops. If the Qb can make the throw, its successfull.

Our Dline sucks too , and cant get much pressure, but it doesnt matter how good they get if a the Cbs cant cover a 3 step drop - pattern.


You're right, definetly. Its just if we happen to lose today and get the 1st overall pick again, we DEFINETLY cant take a CB first. It has to be a lineman like Suh. You know as well as I do that the draft is run just "that way" where even if a CB is good, he never seems to be taken that high.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


November 22nd, 2009, 4:15 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2007, 5:51 pm
Posts: 2289
Post 
Oh Fully agreed. Biggest Need, CB - Pick if choosign in the top 5 - Better be a DT/DE/OL/QB/Phenom at Other POS (CJ) and thats a rule for basically all teams.

We need DT | OL | DE of those , in that order, meaning Suh should be the pick to this point in the season.

THen we use the early 2nd rounder to snag the guy that should have gone 15-32 in the 1st, from CB/OL/DE.


November 22nd, 2009, 4:19 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3378
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post 
DJ-B wrote:
Oh Fully agreed. Biggest Need, CB - Pick if choosign in the top 5 - Better be a DT/DE/OL/QB/Phenom at Other POS (CJ) and thats a rule for basically all teams.

We need DT | OL | DE of those , in that order, meaning Suh should be the pick to this point in the season.

THen we use the early 2nd rounder to snag the guy that should have gone 15-32 in the 1st, from CB/OL/DE.


Exactly. I hope Mayhew reads that statement you just wrote cuz thats exactly what we gotta do.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


November 22nd, 2009, 4:30 pm
Profile
Post 
I still think Oakland is worse than we are... that said, we're bad... Washington (the only team we beat) and KC are down there in the cellar with us, IMO...


November 22nd, 2009, 4:43 pm
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7491
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post 
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I still think Oakland is worse than we are... that said, we're bad... Washington (the only team we beat) and KC are down there in the cellar with us, IMO...


KC just beat the Steelers.


November 22nd, 2009, 5:54 pm
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3378
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post 
plus Oakland just beat Cincy.

Thats gonna probably put us at what, probably pick #4?

If, for some reason, we stay at #4, we can say bye-bye to Suh. We might as well take the best LT (Okung) instead of taking the #2 DT (McCoy). I mean, at that high we HAVE to take a lineman.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


November 22nd, 2009, 8:30 pm
Profile
Post 
Teams beat teams that they're not supposed to beat all the time, and teams lose to teams that they're not supposed to lose to all the time. I don't think that one win or loss proves anything about the future of an organization. I know for a fact that I wouldn't want to trade rosters with Oakland, and I feel the same way about KC.


November 22nd, 2009, 9:18 pm
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7491
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post 
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Teams beat teams that they're not supposed to beat all the time, and teams lose to teams that they're not supposed to lose to all the time. I don't think that one win or loss proves anything about the future of an organization. I know for a fact that I wouldn't want to trade rosters with Oakland, and I feel the same way about KC.


I would trade our defensive players for Oakland's Defensive players in a heart beat.


November 22nd, 2009, 9:34 pm
Profile
Post 
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Teams beat teams that they're not supposed to beat all the time, and teams lose to teams that they're not supposed to lose to all the time. I don't think that one win or loss proves anything about the future of an organization. I know for a fact that I wouldn't want to trade rosters with Oakland, and I feel the same way about KC.


I would trade our defensive players for Oakland's Defensive players in a heart beat.


Me too, but I wouldn't swap them teams...


November 22nd, 2009, 9:57 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.