View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 26th, 2014, 10:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Do you want the #1 overall pick again? 
Team MVP

To me it's less about the money and more about getting the right player if the Lions draft #1 and take Suh and he turns out to be the next Warren Sapp than he's worth the money.

If they pick lower and take somebody else and he doesn't pan out than it's a waste of money.

Agree.

I want Suh also.

I used to say lets take BPA available, but now im almost 100% set on "Lets take the BPA thats a DT or LT".

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

November 22nd, 2009, 12:48 pm
RIP Killer

Leo wrote:
To me it's less about the money and more about getting the right player if the Lions draft #1 and take Suh and he turns out to be the next Warren Sapp than he's worth the money.

If they pick lower and take somebody else and he doesn't pan out than it's a waste of money.

Agree.

I want Suh also.

I used to say lets take BPA available, but now im almost 100% set on "Lets take the BPA thats a DT or LT".

But in the salary cap era, it MUST be about the money as well. No team will be successful with 30-35% of its payroll dedicated to three players. Stafford, Calvin and ????

And let us not forget that we still are paying Sims, Pettigrew and Cherilus as first rounders, in addition to overpaying for Backus and Raiola to retain them.

Getting another first overall pick may help talent wise, but we won't have enough payroll left over to land some good support players. And regardless of how much talent we have a a few individual positions, without those solid support players this team does NOT improve overall.

November 22nd, 2009, 2:02 pm
Pro Bowl Player

Want it or not, we're the worst team in the league.

November 22nd, 2009, 2:37 pm
Profile WWW
Team MVP

Yes we definetly are. And im pretty darn sure we are the #1 pick after how this game is going.

M2karateman..
Your definetly right about the money thing. But the problem is unless we win we cant avoid it, so we might as well TRY and get excited of the possibility of getting a guy like Suh.

Your also right about support players and the lack of them we have. Its gonna be a slow process, but me personally have confidence that they can do it.

I know this is definetly NOT reality, but what if we had a draft 100% FULL of O and D lineman. I know it wouldnt ever happen, but at least in that group you'd have a better chance of finding star lineman rather than taking one here or there and worrying that they might end up being busts even if they are taken in the first round. Just a though. Not to mention games are won in the trenches and lineman as a whole are probably our biggest need.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

November 22nd, 2009, 2:52 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Not to mention games are won in the trenches and lineman as a whole are probably our biggest need.

I agree with Games are won, but CB is still our biggest need. Cleveland is proving that today. They can't cover long enough to allow pressure to reach the Qb, meaning we cant seem to cover even 3 step drops. If the Qb can make the throw, its successfull.

Our Dline sucks too , and cant get much pressure, but it doesnt matter how good they get if a the Cbs cant cover a 3 step drop - pattern.

November 22nd, 2009, 3:48 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Team MVP

kdsberman wrote:
Not to mention games are won in the trenches and lineman as a whole are probably our biggest need.

I agree with Games are won, but CB is still our biggest need. Cleveland is proving that today. They can't cover long enough to allow pressure to reach the Qb, meaning we cant seem to cover even 3 step drops. If the Qb can make the throw, its successfull.

Our Dline sucks too , and cant get much pressure, but it doesnt matter how good they get if a the Cbs cant cover a 3 step drop - pattern.

You're right, definetly. Its just if we happen to lose today and get the 1st overall pick again, we DEFINETLY cant take a CB first. It has to be a lineman like Suh. You know as well as I do that the draft is run just "that way" where even if a CB is good, he never seems to be taken that high.

November 22nd, 2009, 4:15 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Oh Fully agreed. Biggest Need, CB - Pick if choosign in the top 5 - Better be a DT/DE/OL/QB/Phenom at Other POS (CJ) and thats a rule for basically all teams.

We need DT | OL | DE of those , in that order, meaning Suh should be the pick to this point in the season.

THen we use the early 2nd rounder to snag the guy that should have gone 15-32 in the 1st, from CB/OL/DE.

November 22nd, 2009, 4:19 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Team MVP

Oh Fully agreed. Biggest Need, CB - Pick if choosign in the top 5 - Better be a DT/DE/OL/QB/Phenom at Other POS (CJ) and thats a rule for basically all teams.

We need DT | OL | DE of those , in that order, meaning Suh should be the pick to this point in the season.

THen we use the early 2nd rounder to snag the guy that should have gone 15-32 in the 1st, from CB/OL/DE.

Exactly. I hope Mayhew reads that statement you just wrote cuz thats exactly what we gotta do.

November 22nd, 2009, 4:30 pm
I still think Oakland is worse than we are... that said, we're bad... Washington (the only team we beat) and KC are down there in the cellar with us, IMO...

November 22nd, 2009, 4:43 pm
Hall of Fame Player

I still think Oakland is worse than we are... that said, we're bad... Washington (the only team we beat) and KC are down there in the cellar with us, IMO...

KC just beat the Steelers.

November 22nd, 2009, 5:54 pm
Team MVP

Thats gonna probably put us at what, probably pick #4?

If, for some reason, we stay at #4, we can say bye-bye to Suh. We might as well take the best LT (Okung) instead of taking the #2 DT (McCoy). I mean, at that high we HAVE to take a lineman.

November 22nd, 2009, 8:30 pm
Teams beat teams that they're not supposed to beat all the time, and teams lose to teams that they're not supposed to lose to all the time. I don't think that one win or loss proves anything about the future of an organization. I know for a fact that I wouldn't want to trade rosters with Oakland, and I feel the same way about KC.

November 22nd, 2009, 9:18 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Teams beat teams that they're not supposed to beat all the time, and teams lose to teams that they're not supposed to lose to all the time. I don't think that one win or loss proves anything about the future of an organization. I know for a fact that I wouldn't want to trade rosters with Oakland, and I feel the same way about KC.

I would trade our defensive players for Oakland's Defensive players in a heart beat.

November 22nd, 2009, 9:34 pm
wjb21ndtown wrote:

I would trade our defensive players for Oakland's Defensive players in a heart beat.

Me too, but I wouldn't swap them teams...

November 22nd, 2009, 9:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3