View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 30th, 2014, 8:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 thursday espn draft special 
Pop Warner Allstar

Post thursday espn draft special
was it just me or did derrick johnson get leveled with criticism.

of course merrill hodge is an idiot and hates most players in the first but even golic was critical.

that draft they did was horrible.
no way pac man jones and mike williams drops that far.

i mean selecting minnesota to take pac man when they already have winfield and smoot - what was that.

Ron

April 22nd, 2005, 7:47 pm
RIP Killer

It's possible they could take a CB, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it. They need a DE and WR WAY before a CB. They could use solid depth at CB though.

DJ has some big knocks against him. You can look at his big play ability (knocking the ball loose) as a bad thing. NFL RBs hold onto the ball a lot better than college RBs, he misses tackles by going for the strip. That's a big knock if you look at it that way. His arm-tackling and diving techniques. They all can be fixed easily, but does someone want to teach him how to tackle? The knocks against him are stupid IMO, but they still exist.

I couldn't hear anything they were saying because I was at the gym and there were no captions. I could see them talking, but couldn't hear them. Talk about lame. :-(

April 22nd, 2005, 7:51 pm
RIP Killer

Boss Bailey had the same knock on him, bad tackler. That seemed to be cleared up pretty quickly once he showed up in Detroit. DJ is not perfect, but I feel some of these ex-football player analysts are overly critical because they feel they lived it and know it better than anyone else. They don't take into account a players 'coachability' and continue to think of them as doing things the same way they did it in college.

Newly drafted players have it drilled into their heads that college is done and the pro game is at a level they cannot yet comprehend. They are told that they haven't even begun to learn what it takes to be a professional football player and that they can wipe that smug attitude or it will get knocked out of them. Believe me, a player who can't learn doesn't stay on the team very long. Hence, the Wonderlic test at the combines.

Getting back to the commentators like Hodge and Golic, I have a feeling they yearn for the Glory Days and are just a bit jealous to know the game has pretty much left them behind and all they can do is talk about it.

April 22nd, 2005, 9:23 pm
Pro Bowl Player

I agree with Mike (M2Karateman) completely. Im sure DJ was coached to do those things, and he can be coached to do others. People dont ignorantly say he is the best D-player in this draft, they say it because they believe he is. Its him, then everyone else..... good post M2K

April 22nd, 2005, 9:33 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Boss Bailey had the same knock on him, bad tackler. That seemed to be cleared up pretty quickly once he showed up in Detroit. DJ is not perfect, but I feel some of these ex-football player analysts are overly critical because they feel they lived it and know it better than anyone else. They don't take into account a players 'coachability' and continue to think of them as doing things the same way they did it in college.

Newly drafted players have it drilled into their heads that college is done and the pro game is at a level they cannot yet comprehend. They are told that they haven't even begun to learn what it takes to be a professional football player and that they can wipe that smug attitude or it will get knocked out of them.

I definately agree, but that's what analysts see when they watch his game film. Scouts are supposed to pick out the bad things, as well as the good things. DJ's problems can be fixed and he'll be a stud for whoever drafts him. I just hope it's the Lions. Whoever doesn't think he's a great football player and not worthy of a top ten pick in the draft this year has been hanging out with Ricky too long (oh wait, the cheap shots were supposed to be two days ago).

April 22nd, 2005, 9:52 pm
QB Coach

I actually agreed with Hoge's comments on Mike Williams and Aaron Rodgers.

I have Williams going 12th to San Diego... and I think that's the highest he goes draft day.

As for Rodgers... his true value is coming out. No team wants him. He could slip FAR.

April 22nd, 2005, 11:20 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]