View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 27th, 2014, 6:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Benefits of trading/moving down 
Team MVP

Post Benefits of trading/moving down
A lot of people want the Lions to trade down if possible to gain more picks, considering one high pick wont solve this teams problems. Though I do support the idea, what are the main benefits of this strategy? I understand it lands you more picks, but most likely those picks are of lower grade players, when we need quality players, right? Im not saying its a bad idea, im just curious if im missing something.

Id love to get Suh, but I would also love to have Morgan, McClain, Okung, Berry, Mays, Spikes, or even Spiller or the top rated WR (if we moved far enough back).

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

December 7th, 2009, 3:40 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

The benefits this year is that there is alot of talent late in the draft this year, especially on the defensive side of the ball. You can hope to land 1 player rated 100, or 2 players rated 95. For the team, those 2 players might be an overall better combination than the 1 player with a hole or lesser player at the other position.

I think it comes down to how far we trade down, and what we get in return.

December 7th, 2009, 4:37 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Another reason is because of the financial commitment involved. Here's a look at some of the contracts of early picks this year:

1st overall = 6 years, $72M, $41.7M guaranteed.
4th overall = 6 years, $60M, $34M guaranteed.
7th overall = 5 years, $38.25M, $23.5M guaranteed.
11th overall = 5 years, $25M, $15M guaranteed.

December 7th, 2009, 7:42 pm
Team MVP

Just curious, is the "guaranteed money" the same as a Signing Bonus?

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

December 7th, 2009, 9:35 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: Benefits of trading/moving down
kdsberman wrote:
A lot of people want the Lions to trade down if possible to gain more picks, considering one high pick wont solve this teams problems. Though I do support the idea, what are the main benefits of this strategy? I understand it lands you more picks, but most likely those picks are of lower grade players, when we need quality players, right? Im not saying its a bad idea, im just curious if im missing something.

Id love to get Suh, but I would also love to have Morgan, McClain, Okung, Berry, Mays, Spikes, or even Spiller or the top rated WR (if we moved far enough back).

I look at last year as a good indication of why to trade down. Though they aren't having a great season, last year the Patriots traded down multiple times and collected numerous mid round picks because that's where the true value was. What they have done is re-tooled their roster and now have a pretty good mix of vets and rooks. When these veterans either play out their contract or wear out their welcome, someone will be there to replace them and they will already have been "seasoned". This year the Patriots can afford to move up or down, depending on the value of their picks and the players they target. Much like they moved up to get Mayo. It wouldn't surprise me if the Patriots make a move up to try and get player to replace Richard Seymour, who they miss more than they anticipated they would. Suh and McCoy won't be available to them, but they just may target someone else to fit that spot.

December 7th, 2009, 11:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]