View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 20th, 2014, 2:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Gerald McCoy 
Color Commentator - John Madden

Wouldn't Morgan at 6 be a bit of a reach? It seems like we would be able to move down a bit and still get him.

December 21st, 2009, 3:13 pm

Granted as we have seen since Scwartz has came to town that he likes BIG DTs and McCoy just doesn't fit that size ala Hill and Jackson.. however.. I'd still be happy with McCoy b/c I can see him being able to slide in and out and play both DT and DE.. we need a player with that kind of versatility on the DL if you ask me.

That is if we can't get Suh.

Suh- 6'4" 300
McCoy 6'4" 297

December 21st, 2009, 3:17 pm
Ya but other than winning, whats our chances of getting out of #2??

If Suh is on the board, or if a team wants their Qb, I think we could move back as long as we don't demand too much.

December 21st, 2009, 4:57 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

McCoy's size, agility should make him top 10 pick
Dec. 18, 2009
By Chad Reuter
The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com
Tell Chad your opinion!
Presented by Epson

Oklahoma Sooners defensive tackle Gerald McCoy, the No. 3 overall ranked prospect for 2011 by NFLDraftScout.com, announced he will forgo his senior year of eligibility and declare for the NFL Draft. The 6-4, 298-pound McCoy is ranked behind only Tennessee strong safety Eric Berry and teammate quarterback Sam Bradford, who are both expected to declare for the draft as well.

In his third year as a starter for OU, McCoy netted 14.5 tackles for a loss and five sacks. (US Presswire)
In his third year as a starter for OU, McCoy netted 14.5 tackles for a loss and five sacks. (US Presswire)
"I made the decision around midseason, when I knew that I would have enough credits to graduate," McCoy said through the school's website. "Graduation was my main goal and once I knew I had that accomplished, I wanted to look at playing in the NFL."

McCoy was scheduled to go through graduation ceremonies Friday night and plans to graduate with a Human Relations degree after completing online courses this spring.

McCoy has been on the national football radar since his days as a high school All-American in Oklahoma City. He could have entered the draft as a redshirt sophomore last April and likely would have been selected in the top half of the first round, but opted to return for his junior season.

The 2009 All-American and two-time first-team All-Big 12 selection has 31 tackles, 14.5 for loss and five sacks in his third consecutive season as a starter for the Sooners. That production certainly gives scouts plenty of reason to like McCoy, but his versatility and hustle aren't truly measured by statistics.

His play is reminiscent of former Oklahoma State defensive tackle Kevin Williams, who is now a Pro Bowl player for the Minnesota Vikings. McCoy lines up at the three-technique position when Oklahoma plays a four-man front and moves out to shade either side of the right tackle in a 3-4 alignment. That sort of versatility endears him to NFL defensive coordinators relying on either front as their base look.

McCoy also plays nearly every snap, constantly pushing his man toward the quarterback on pass plays and chasing down ball carriers against the run. His combination of size, stamina and agility are hard to find at his position.

If there's one negative to his game, it may be that McCoy plays too tall on occasion, losing leverage against double teams or when man-up against stronger interior linemen. But that can be improved through work and coaching at the next level, and won't prevent him from being picked early in the first round.

With Detroit, Oakland, Tampa Bay and others looking for defensive line help, it would be hard to see McCoy drop out of the top 10.

"Gerald is a great example of how to be a student-athlete," Sooners coach Bob Stoops said in a statement. "He came here, took care of his academic responsibilities, invested himself in the lives of others and had a great career on the field. I've never been associated with a young man who was any more impressive than Gerald.

"He is extremely mature, and that fact, along with what he has done academically, makes this decision to enter the draft a good one for him."

Suh is the prize, but this guy isn't far behind...

Everyone keeps saying that he's only a 3 technique and therefore he doesn't fit the scheme... That couldn't be further for the truth... Sure Tennesee had Haynesworth who is a giant, but if you look at the other guys along the line they aren't that size, in fact they had Jason Jones (a college DE from EMU) playing DT for him last year when he got injured... I don't even think they had a lineman on their roster last year other than Haynesworth that was north of 310...

If McCoy is there when they pick I think they will be very interested...

December 21st, 2009, 4:59 pm
Wouldn't Morgan at 6 be a bit of a reach? It seems like we would be able to move down a bit and still get him.

It's hard to say at this point, players rise from the mid 20's into the top 10 based on their combine status alone. It's way too early to start talking about whether this person or that person is a reach when the argument is over 3-4 draft spots.

December 21st, 2009, 5:02 pm

On Morgan: Guys do improve their draft stock through the combine, but workout warriors scare me, especially with the money high first rounders command. Look at Jamaal Anderson in Atlanta, he had a great combine and hasn't produced. That's my fear on Morgan. He looked like a world beater in some of his games, but his stamina waned and he looked very mediocre.

On McCoy: The article above says he plays too tall sometimes. The last thing we want to hear about in Detroit is "Pad Level"!!!

December 22nd, 2009, 11:12 am
On Morgan: Guys do improve their draft stock through the combine, but workout warriors scare me, especially with the money high first rounders command. Look at Jamaal Anderson in Atlanta, he had a great combine and hasn't produced. That's my fear on Morgan. He looked like a world beater in some of his games, but his stamina waned and he looked very mediocre.

On McCoy: The article above says he plays too tall sometimes. The last thing we want to hear about in Detroit is "Pad Level"!!!

Being double teamed has an effect on your stamina and psyche, and Morgan was double teamed a lot. Jamaal Anderson is still a good DE, but other "workout warriors" include Shaun Merriman, Demarcus Ware, and Dwight Freeney.

My point wasn't that D Morgan is a workout warrior though, my only point was that arguing about whether Morgan's worth is at 6th or 10th overall is pointless at this point. Even without having the monicker of being a "workout warrior" any player can move their draft slot up or down 4 spots with the combine, and rightly so.

December 22nd, 2009, 5:49 pm

Fair enough. The sad thing, I guess, is that this whole conversation will be moot because no one will want to trade up to #2 in order for this scenario to play out. I guess these next two games are "winnable" but I don't see it happening. I've just got my fingers crossed that the Rams don't pull one off and the Lions are picking #1 again, just for financial reasons.

December 22nd, 2009, 8:23 pm
RIP Killer

Orakpo was considered a workout warrior, and he's turned out to be a pretty solid selection by Washington. Not every workout warrior is an inadequate football player.

December 22nd, 2009, 10:00 pm
RIP Killer

BTW - Orakpo has 12 sacks this season I believe. That's likely good enough for DROTY

December 23rd, 2009, 12:30 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

LionsFan4Life wrote:
Granted as we have seen since Scwartz has came to town that he likes BIG DTs and McCoy just doesn't fit that size ala Hill and Jackson.. however.. I'd still be happy with McCoy b/c I can see him being able to slide in and out and play both DT and DE.. we need a player with that kind of versatility on the DL if you ask me.

That is if we can't get Suh.

Suh- 6'4" 300
McCoy 6'4" 297

If we want size (and I do, anyway) it is all about my boy Dan Williams from Tennessee: 6'3" 327. I was hoping he would be there for the Lions at the top of round 2 but he seems to be moving up draft boards--I saw a mock today with Williams at #10 overall.

Suh would be a better fit than McCoy because Suy plays with the power of a bigger guy in spite of his actual size.

December 23rd, 2009, 1:47 am

Suh definitely plays bigger then he really is. He's an extremely powerful player at 300lbs. I don't know if we necessarily need another big DT at the top of the draft since Sammie Hill has been playing well. I think that Suh and Hill could be a very good combo for years. Hill can be the space eating 1 technique and Suh could be the rushing 3 technique. Daddy likey.

December 23rd, 2009, 11:32 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Suh definitely plays bigger then he really is. He's an extremely powerful player at 300lbs. I don't know if we necessarily need another big DT at the top of the draft since Sammie Hill has been playing well. I think that Suh and Hill could be a very good combo for years. Hill can be the space eating 1 technique and Suh could be the rushing 3 technique. Daddy likey.

You and me both!

NEVER GIVE UP!

December 23rd, 2009, 1:08 pm
Team MVP

Ive seen roster lists that have Hill at 270lbs..hes bigger than that isnt he?? I thought he was around the 320+ range?

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

December 23rd, 2009, 2:47 pm
Walk On

..and me too!

Ive seen roster lists that have Hill at 270lbs..hes bigger than that isnt he?? I thought he was around the 320+ range?

He is if not already bigger. Also I would keep in mind that Suh might be a perfect DE in a Big man front. They could always get another 325 lbs or higher project to work with at DT and get Suh with his speed and explosiveness at DT a try at DE. A 1300 lbs D line would be a thing of greatness.

December 23rd, 2009, 5:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next