View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 19th, 2014, 1:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Gerald McCoy 
QB Coach

wjb21ndtown wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
I dont buy that one bit.

Why? Because it goes against all of the dogma and over-inflated, supernatural praise the kid has gotten recently? :roll:

Hey man, im not trying to argue, i just dont buy in to the whole size thing.

When i watch Suh, I see a guy dominating the line of scrimmage, not an undersized DT.

Look at Tommie Harris, hes 295 lbs and hes made the Pro Bowl 3 times.

Exactly. I have watched a number of Nebraska games this year. One of my best friends here in school is from Nebraska and I've watched a bunch of games with him. He didn't tell me to watch Suh. I noticed him in the first game I watched, and then paid attention to him after that. He has been a disruptive force, and most times a dominating force, in every game I've seen. He's got great strength, uses leverage, and makes the absolute most of his abilities. I'd take him and never think twice.

http://www.11points.com/Books/11_Things ... _Do_Anyway

LET'S GO DUKE!

If you don't like gay marriage, don't get one.

January 5th, 2010, 9:04 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Suh is built like a tree trunk, he is plenty big and strong enough to play DT in the NFL. I think he might look a little small to you because he isn't out of shape (carrying a gut) like a lot of DTs. In fact I liken Suh to Sapp without the gut. McCoy looks like a Tommie Harris as far as his physique. With that said as it stands I'd accept a trade from Tampa for Suh if they came calling. They are supposedly interested in him and three Day One picks. As good as Suh could be, an extra 2nd rounder could be a better move for the Lions in the long run.

January 5th, 2010, 9:07 pm
RIP Killer

I'd take three day one picks to move back one spot! I'd settle for McCoy and the third pick in the second and third round no problem. That would be a no brainer IMO.

January 5th, 2010, 11:59 pm
RIP Killer

I'd take three day one picks to move back one spot! I'd settle for McCoy and the third pick in the second and third round no problem. That would be a no brainer IMO.

It's not a trade that will happen, pure and simple. Tampa Bay isn't going to offer their second and third rounder to move up one spot. They would offer their third rounder, possibly their second rounder if they get desperate, but not both.

That said, I would accept a second round pick in exchange for the swap. I don't think Gerald McCoy is that far off from Suh anyways. Remember, McCoy was the more heralded player going into this season, and really didn't hurt his status. Suh just had an incredible season.....but just one incredible season. Did he supernova, or he is a bright and shining star in the making?

January 6th, 2010, 8:57 am
Pro Bowl Player

Suh put up numbers comparable to entire team defenses, led his team in tackles from the DT position, and was a hesiman finalist.

The dude is a beast.

January 6th, 2010, 3:20 pm
RIP Killer

steensn wrote:

It's not a trade that will happen, pure and simple. Tampa Bay isn't going to offer their second and third rounder to move up one spot. They would offer their third rounder, possibly their second rounder if they get desperate, but not both.

That said, I would accept a second round pick in exchange for the swap. I don't think Gerald McCoy is that far off from Suh anyways. Remember, McCoy was the more heralded player going into this season, and really didn't hurt his status. Suh just had an incredible season.....but just one incredible season. Did he supernova, or he is a bright and shining star in the making?

I didn't figure we'd get both, but I would take the second to move back one spot and still get McCoy as well.

January 6th, 2010, 3:25 pm
RIP Killer

Suh put up numbers comparable to entire team defenses, led his team in tackles from the DT position, and was a hesiman finalist.

The dude is a beast.

The question is, did he stand out because of his incredible abilities, or did he stand out because the remainder of the Nebraska defense was pretty pedestrian by comparison?

If I had to choose between the two players, I would take Suh over McCoy right now. Suh seems to be stronger and has a higher motor. But if someone like Tampa Bay, Kansas City or Seattle are drooling over the prospect of getting Suh, I'd take a second rounder, or more, from them to move down.

However, I believe the reality is that teams will only move into the top five to draft their future QB. Particularly in a draft that has more than a few good DTs in it. If St. Louis takes Bradford or Clausen, look for someone to try and move ahead of Washington to get the other.

So let's say that the Rams take Bradford.
The Lions could take Suh, or possibly trade down with the Bucs and let them have Suh. Now the Lions have the third pick, plus an extra pick, say a second rounder. The Lions could then either take McCoy, or entertain the idea of trading down again because another team like Seattle or Cleveland want the inside track on Clausen. Or maybe Seattle moves up to get Okung ahead of Washington.

Imagine the Lions coming out of this draft with a top ten pick, plus a couple extra second rounders, plus an extra first day pick in the 2011 draft.

How cool would that be? Could it happen? Yes. Will it? Not bloody likely. But that's all it would take is for Tampa Bay to absolutely covet getting Suh, and another team having the hots for either a QB or Berry/Okung. If the Lions were to end up with the sixth or seventh pick, they could take their pick from Derrick Morgan (who definitely did NOT impress me last night), Joe Haden (to fill our single biggest need on this team), or Taylor Mays.

January 6th, 2010, 3:50 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

With either McCoy or Suh the Lions will be getting a great player at a position of need. I don't think they can go wrong with either. The thing that have to be considered is value. How many teams will draft Suh because he is the best player on the board, damn near all of them, except maybe St. Louis (fingers crossed), and Washington. Everyone else will take a shot on him if he falls past Detroit. Would Gerald McCoy fall into that same range? If Bradford or Clausen go to St. Louis, and the Lions entertain offers, would McCoy still be available if the Lions drop to say 4 or 5? If they can get something like that from a team with a boner for Suh, then I think they should consider passing up on him and add another pick in either round 2 or 3. I'd love to have either McCoy or Suh, but if we can get some extra picks and still get McCoy, I could endorse passing on Suh.

January 7th, 2010, 9:01 pm
Team MVP

With either McCoy or Suh the Lions will be getting a great player at a position of need. I don't think they can go wrong with either. The thing that have to be considered is value. How many teams will draft Suh because he is the best player on the board, damn near all of them, except maybe St. Louis (fingers crossed), and Washington. Everyone else will take a shot on him if he falls past Detroit. Would Gerald McCoy fall into that same range? If Bradford or Clausen go to St. Louis, and the Lions entertain offers, would McCoy still be available if the Lions drop to say 4 or 5? If they can get something like that from a team with a boner for Suh, then I think they should consider passing up on him and add another pick in either round 2 or 3. I'd love to have either McCoy or Suh, but if we can get some extra picks and still get McCoy, I could endorse passing on Suh.

I definetly agree with you. Id love to have Suh and think he is very good, but comparing Suh to McCoy, I dont think McCoy is that far behind him. I guess if Suh is 100, then Id say McCoy is 95.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 7th, 2010, 10:27 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I was looking at draft tek the other day and I read a good summary of McCoy. McCoys only flaw is his name isn't Suh.

January 7th, 2010, 10:34 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

I was looking at draft tek the other day and I read a good summary of McCoy. McCoys only flaw is his name isn't Suh.

The one flaw that I read about him is that he doesn't always play with good pad level... I never want to hear those two words again after Moronelli! Whatever, I'd take him, poor pad level or not.

January 7th, 2010, 11:22 pm
Team MVP

If the pick ends up being McCoy, how would our interior D-line look with McCoy and Hill?

Also....why do some web pages list Hill at 279lbs? Isnt he well above 300?

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 19th, 2010, 5:23 pm
RIP Killer

I think we don't have the inside pass rush we would get with Suh, so I'd still expect a lot of blitzing and more need for a DE.

January 19th, 2010, 5:49 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

I think we don't have the inside pass rush we would get with Suh, so I'd still expect a lot of blitzing and more need for a DE.

Just thought I'd post this right up I read yesterday in PFW, in regard to McCoy.

Oklahoma DT Gerald McCoy — A strong, disruptive, explosive inside rusher who has been dominating the college football scene since he stepped onto the field, McCoy has warranted higher grades from NFL evaluators than Nebraska's Ndamukong Suh and stands a legitimate chance to be the first overall pick in the NFL draft.

January 19th, 2010, 6:38 pm
RIP Killer

Interesting. I am really only going off what I have seen in one game. I actually agree he might grade out higher overall than Suh because I think he is a more complete DT. I think Suh is a once in a lifetime middle pass rush/grab the runner in the backfield disrupter, but I feel from what I've seen is that McCoy moves the line backwards well and establishes a dominance in the middle to be a better run stuffer with better technic. He does not have the freakish get loose abilities of Suh to be pressuring the QB every down, but you may not want that either.

There is something to say about a tackle that does everything very well and what McCoy brings IMO. I just don't think we would get a "third DE" with McCoy that you get with Suh who may be more specialized. Could be that Suh's abilities do not translate to the NFL and McCoy does.

January 19th, 2010, 6:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next