View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 29th, 2014, 12:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Gerald McCoy 
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Stallion wrote:
I do not understand where people are getting this one year wonder stuff with Suh. Suh was a 4 star recruit out of high school from what I recall. He has made a huge impact in the games he has played for the last two years and put up better numbers for the past 3 years (2007 is debatable). The battle for the top spot has been virtually a tie between these two for a while but each has received a spike of hype in at one point or another. McCoy received hype during Oklahoma's championship game and Suh received it later when he put up 4 sacks on Texas. Suh's huge performance against Texas combined with stellar back to back season gave him the top spot and he was never far behind McCoy.

Stallion, Suh may have played well at Nebraska in previous years, but nothing he did then compared to what he did this season. It was a "breakout" year, by definition. McCoy hasn't had a season of that nature, but has been a steadily improving performer year after year. McCoy was well known previous to this season, but Suh was not as well known. Some of that has to do with the schools they play for. Oklahoma was in the national spotlight much more than Nebraska, and as such McCoy naturally received more attention.

And while Suh may have been a four star recruit out of high school, McCoy was THE top DT prospect coming out of high school, and considered by many as among the top ten in the country among all HS football players. He was a near unanimous five star, blue chip prospect. The fact that he was able to live up to that hype and reputation speaks well for him.

If McCoy had declared last season, he would have been a top five pick, and easily been the top DT off the board. The same cannot be said of Suh if he had gone into the draft before this season. THAT is the big difference, and why folks consider Suh a "one year wonder". I would say that the Chiefs wouldn't have reached for Tyoka Jackson, and would have been beyond happy to take McCoy to be a DE in their 34 defense. I don't know that Suh would have been in their war room discussion last season at that point.

This past season was not a break out season for Suh. It was an improvement but his 2008 season was Suh's "breakout season". Suh finished with 76 tackles 19 of which were for a loss, he had 7.5 sacks, 2 INTs, 3 pass deflections, 7 QB hurries, 1 FF and 2 blocked kicks (Suhs 2008 season statistically equal to McCoy's 2007 and 2008 seaons combined). Suh was well known for his play coming into this season. The only question then was durability and consistency. He arguably put the latter of these concerns to rest by not only matching an already stellar season but by improving on it.

I agree with you that if McCoy and Suh both entered last season McCoy would have been drafted higher. I think this would have to deal more so with Suh's injury history then lack of production.

February 11th, 2010, 5:12 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Touted tackle figured he was the real McCoy at age 11
John Niyo / The Detroit News
Indianapolis -- Oklahoma defensive tackle Gerald McCoy, a prime candidate for the Lions with the No. 2 overall pick in April's NFL draft, figured he might have a future in football way back when he was 11 years old.

"One time in Little League, I tackled three people," McCoy said Sunday at the NFL scouting combine. "They ran, and I came through (the line) and the quarterback didn't know who to give (the football) to. So I just grabbed everybody. And it was right then, I was like, 'I might (be able to) play this.' Everybody just looked at me like, 'Did he just grab three people?' That right there should let you know how big a kid I was."

How big was he? Well, the next season, a 12-year-old McCoy weighed in at 238 pounds when he signed up for that same league in Oklahoma City, still holding out hope of playing running back.

Advertisement
No luck, of course. And that would be his good fortune, as McCoy went on to a stellar career in high school -- national defensive player of the year in 2005 -- and then as a two-time All-American for the Sooners.

Now he's vying with his teammate, Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford, and Nebraska defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh to be the top pick in the draft.

"I've got Gerald McCoy as my No. 1 player in the draft, and Suh as No. 2," NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock said. "I think they're the top two players, without question."

More likely, though, McCoy and Suh might be battling for the No. 2 spot, amid growing speculation the Rams will cast their lot with Bradford as their franchise quarterback.

But when asked Sunday to compare himself to Suh, McCoy smiled and said, "I won't."

Why not?

"I don't talk about Suh," he said. "We're good friends, and that's all you need to know."

He elaborated on that friendship later in an engaging interview with the media. And the 6-foot-4, 295-pound McCoy also said he has met with the Lions' staff "a few times" in Indianapolis, talking about himself but also about football.

"They're an attack defense -- get up the field, penetrate, disrupt type of defense -- and that's how we played at Oklahoma," McCoy said. "That's how I play. So I think I fit in well there."

Added McCoy; "With us penetrating (at Oklahoma), we're more disrupters. We disrupt the play and make sure it doesn't get past the line of scrimmage. So if we get in the backfield and mess up the handoff, or the guy has to bounce it (outside), it makes it easier on the linebackers to get where they need to be."

Suh's statistics -- including 12 sacks last season -- look more impressive than the ones McCoy, who had five sacks in 2009, posted at Oklahoma. But Mayock cites McCoy's quick initial burst and his pass-rushing ability in giving him the edge over Suh.

"I think they both fit best in a 4-3 defense as the three-technique, which is that quick defensive tackle that doesn't play the nose," Mayock said. "And the reason I would pick Gerald McCoy at No. 1 is I believe the NFL is a pass-first league. The NFL has skewed tremendously over to the pass side over the last several years, and teams are winning Super Bowls by throwing the football.

"So from a defensive perspective, I want the more disruptive guy. And I think McCoy is more disruptive in the pass game. And he is still good against the run."

From The Detroit News: http://www.detnews.com/article/20100301 ... z0gw1K21z2

I wouldn't put McCoy ahead of Suh, but I don't think he's too far behind either. As I've said before, McCoy is the prototypical Tampa 2 undertackle who penetrates in a one gap defense. I'm not saying that that's all he can do, but that's mostly what he was asked to do in college.

March 1st, 2010, 10:27 am
3rd Round Selection

Any of you geniuses that rank him ahead of Suh actually see McCoy look like a chump compared to Suh at the combine? Still think McCoy is the "more athletic" of the two? Despite Suh showing more fluidity in his motion, better quickness, more explosiveness, etc...?

I've been saying it since early in the season and I'll say it again now. IF he is there...Suh needs to be the pick hands down. All this "McCoy is just as good if not better" talk needs to stop...it's not true. McCoy is a good prospect no doubt, heck a great prospect...but in reality it's a bit unfair for him because he's in the same draft as Suh...who may be the best DT prospect of all time (similar to the kind of beast prospect Calvin was when he came out). To pass up on that...well...we didn't do it with Calvin and we'd be fools to do it now.

March 2nd, 2010, 8:15 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

McCoy's poor bench press at combine stuns draft expert
By CARLOS MONARREZ FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Uh-oh. Looks like we have our first red flag in the race for the top defensive tackle prospect in the NFL draft.

Oklahoma’s Gerald McCoy completed only 23 bench-press repetitions of 225 pounds Sunday at the NFL scouting combine – and that’s worrisome for NFL.com draft analyst Mike Mayock, who ranks McCoy as the best prospect in the draft and ahead of Nebraska’s Ndamukong Suh.

McCoy and Suh are considered leading contenders to be the first player taken in April’s NFL draft. The Lions pick No. 2 overall.

"When you start comparing numbers, which is what this combine is all about, in the weight room yesterday Suh did 32 and McCoy did 23," Mayock said today on NFL Network. "I was stunned that McCoy only did 23 reps. That tells me he hasn't been in the weight room the way he should have been over the last three years."

McCoy was tied for 35th among 50 defensive linemen who took part in the bench press. Suh ranked sixth. The top defensive lineman, Jeff Owens of Georgia, had 44 reps.

I know it's just the Underwear Olympics as PFT calls it, but McCoy may have hurt himself a little bit. Those teams that may have had Suh and McCoy ranked equally, might now give the edge to Suh.

March 2nd, 2010, 12:29 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I do not think it is so much that McCoy hurt himself but Suh helped himself. The bench press could have been better but it would not really drop him IMO.

March 2nd, 2010, 12:37 pm
RIP Killer

McCoy started 38 games at Oklahoma in his 3 years. He had 83 tackles and 14.5 sacks.

Suh was close behind with 82 tackles and 12 sacks. Then again, those are just his numbers from 2009!!!

March 2nd, 2010, 2:21 pm
Profile WWW
National Champion

Pablo, it's really apples to oranges. They play the same position, but they were on different teams running different schemes and whatnot. I agree that Suh is probably the better prospect over McCoy, but you can't look at stats and say one is better than the other that way.

March 2nd, 2010, 6:05 pm
RIP Killer

I'm would be estatic to end up with either...

March 2nd, 2010, 6:06 pm
RIP Killer

Pablo, it's really apples to oranges. They play the same position, but they were on different teams running different schemes and whatnot. I agree that Suh is probably the better prospect over McCoy, but you can't look at stats and say one is better than the other that way.

I think you can draw some conclusions regardless. Bottom line, Suh was much more productive in college and has looked much better at the combine.

We do compare players all the time at the same positions in different schemes. Are you saying you can't compare quarterbacks, or running backs, or wide receivers, or etc simply because they play in different schemes?

I would be estatic to get Suh, I like him better on the field both in terms of stats and what my own eyes say when I saw the two play (and I live in Big12 country and saw a number of games for both teams over the past few years). I also am disappointed in McCoy at the Combine, I know some will pooh pooh that but with millions at stake you had better train hard and be at your best.

I want Ndamukong, suh me!!!

March 2nd, 2010, 6:19 pm
Profile WWW
National Champion

faulkn22 wrote:

I think you can draw some conclusions regardless. Bottom line, Suh was much more productive in college and has looked much better at the combine.

We do compare players all the time at the same positions in different schemes. Are you saying you can't compare quarterbacks, or running backs, or wide receivers, or etc simply because they play in different schemes?

I would be estatic to get Suh, I like him better on the field both in terms of stats and what my own eyes say when I saw the two play (and I live in Big12 country and saw a number of games for both teams over the past few years). I also am disappointed in McCoy at the Combine, I know some will pooh pooh that but with millions at stake you had better train hard and be at your best.

I want Ndamukong, suh me!!!

No, I said that you can't compare stats from guys in different systems with different teammates around them. Don't get defensive, because I wasn't attacking you. I just believe that you can't translate x amount of tackles into y value.

March 2nd, 2010, 9:49 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

When I first saw that McCoy only did 23 reps it really made me think twice about the guy. Kyle Wilson did 25 at 195lbs and 5 Safeties did more reps then McCoy. That being said, turn on the tape and see what happens. McCoy still looks like a top 5 pick. You have to understand that the question is "Can this kid play at a high level and make an impact on my team over prospect x?" With McCoy you can say yes to that question over a lot of other guys, if not all of them, save 1 or 2.

Al Davis has made a name for himself by taking the biggest, fastest, strongest guys that aren't necessarily the best prospects. We don't want to become that do we??

March 3rd, 2010, 12:11 pm
RIP Killer

No, I said that you can't compare stats from guys in different systems with different teammates around them. Don't get defensive, because I wasn't attacking you. I just believe that you can't translate x amount of tackles into y value.

faulkn22, understand what you are saying and sorry if I came across as being defensive - wasn't my intention - just trying to illustrate a point. I actually like McCoy, a lot, I just like Suh that much more.

March 3rd, 2010, 12:42 pm
Profile WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

John Czarnecki FOX NFL SUNDAY

Updated Mar 2, 2010 5:40 PM ET
I must say I agree with the anonymous general manager who said: “Rarely does something happen at the Combine that changes my opinion of a player. I could care less about how high a guy jumps.”

That being said, if you love the NFL, you must come here just in case something really important happens at what has evolved into a mini-league convention, complete with agents, union bosses, the commissioner and every coach and scout in the league examining its future on-field stars.

Here is what I learned at Indy:

1. The real McCoy is No. 1?

If the draft was today, the Rams would select Oklahoma defensive tackle Gerald McCoy because he is the player that head coach Steve Spagnuolo likes better. Fortunately for Rams fans who want a quarterback after passing on Matt Ryan and Mark Sanchez the past two Aprils, the team has seven weeks to change Spags’ mind. McCoy’s OU teammate, quarterback Sam Bradford, plans to throw and show off his surgically repaired right shoulder on March 25. A year ago, Bradford was the consensus top quarterback, ahead of Matthew Stafford, but he opted to return to play college football.

2. No Lion! Detroit wants to deal

The Lions, who pick second in the first round, have their fingers crossed that the Rams don’t pick a quarterback so they can trade down with either Cleveland or Buffalo, who apparently are in the quarterback market. The thought process is that new Browns czar Mike Holmgren won’t want to lose his favorite quarterback to Washington and new coach Mike Shanahan. The Redskins are perched at No. 4, three spots ahead of the Browns. The Lions really don’t want to spend $33 million in bonus money on a defensive tackle.

In my opinion the Lions are in a great position. Rams take Bradford, then we get Suh (my preference). Rams take Suh or McCoy, then the suitors come calling to get Bradford.

March 3rd, 2010, 2:39 pm
1st Round Pick

Lions' Martin Mayhew watches Gerald McCoy at Oklahoma's pro day
By NICHOLAS J. COTSONIKA
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Comments (1) Recommend (1) Print E-mail Letter to the editor Share Facebook Twitter FarkIt Digg Del.icio.us Reddit Newsvine Buzz up!
The Detroit Lions are getting another look at prospects for the No. 2 overall pick in the NFL draft.

General manager Martin Mayhew attended Oklahoma’s pro day today, along with many other NFL officials, including Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo, whose team holds the No. 1 overall pick.

Defensive tackle Gerald McCoy didn’t go through some of the drills he did at the NFL scouting combine, such as the bench press, even though he did only 23 reps of 225 pounds in Indianapolis. But McCoy measured 6-feet-4 and 298 pounds and went through some position drills.

Oklahoma State left tackle Russell Okung’s pro day is Wednesday. Nebraska defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh’s is Thursday.

Sooners quarterback Sam Bradford wasn’t among those to work out in front of representatives of 31 NFL teams today, but Spagnuolo says he’ll be back when the 2008 Heisman Trophy winner holds his own session March 25.

“I’m going to camp out here for a while,” Spagnuolo joked.

Spagnuolo said the Rams would love to find a way to split the pick and use it on more than one player. Instead, they’ll have a big decision to make in next month’s draft.

While some wonder whether Suh will be the top pick, the Sooners are providing the Rams with plenty of options. McCoy, Bradford and guard Trent Williams give Oklahoma the opportunity to have three top-10 picks for the first time in the program’s history and become only the sixth school to have three players taken that high in the past 50 years. Auburn was the last to pull off the feat, when Ronnie Brown, Cadillac Williams and Carlos Rogers were among the first nine players taken in 2005.

“The thing is we all came in together, three of us grew up together and it’s good to see everybody reach their dreams and to see all the hard work they did pay off,” McCoy said.

McCoy spent most of the first hour and a half off on his own, stretching and getting warmed up while his former teammates went through the tests he’d already done at the combine. Then he went to work, veering around cones and pads and clubbing his way through tackling dummies set up on the turf at Oklahoma’s indoor practice facility.

“He makes plays, he forces double-teams, people have to worry about him because he’s a talented guy and can rush the passer,” Spagnuolo said. “That would be typical of any defensive tackle that you thought was meriting being a first-round pick.”

Spagnuolo said he was also glad to get the chance to spend some more time with McCoy, meet his father and pick coach Bob Stoops’ brain. All the information about his personality and character will be a part of his draft evaluation, too.

“When you’re really trying to mold a bunch of guys together, you want them to get along, you want them to be a family,” Spagnuolo said. “I know coach Stoops preaches that here, and it’s why he’s had success, and we do the same thing in the NFL.”

Spagnuolo said he’d also had a chance to meet Bradford, who missed most of last season with an injured throwing shoulder, briefly at the combine but he was “looking forward to spending some more time with him.

“We’ve got a little ways to go,” Spagnuolo said. “Got to see where he is health-wise.”

McCoy, whose friendship with Bradford predates their time together at Oklahoma, said he’d have no problem with it if he were the No. 2 pick behind the quarterback.

“I’m not trying to battle with him. That’s why I call him King Sam, because that’s what he is,” McCoy said. “That’s just how I always look at him, and I wish Sam the best. If Sam can go (No.) 1, I would be very happy for him. He has worked really hard. Sam went through a lot this year, but he’s not letting it stop him, and he still has the ability and the chance to go with the first pick.”

McCoy said he planned to return for Bradford’s workout and redo his bench press. He lifted the standard 225 pounds 23 times at the combine. That’s nine fewer than Suh, the other top defensive tackle in the draft, and two fewer than McCoy says he was doing when he had only started his training.

“It was just nerves,” McCoy said. “I’m going to give myself a little bit of time off, keep training, then come back and do it on the 25th.”

Contact NICHOLAS J. COTSONIKA: 313-222-8831 or ncotsonika@freepress.com. Check out his Lions blog at freep.com/section/blog21. Free Press news services contributed to this report.
If he was going to write a story like this he should atleast get some qoutes from I dunno Mayhwew maybe?

March 9th, 2010, 7:27 pm
RIP Killer

Lions' Jim Schwartz not 'alarmed' by Gerald McCoy's bench press
By Tom Kowalski
March 12, 2010, 12:30PM
ALLEN PARK - Oklahoma defensive tackle Gerald McCoy, who the Detroit Lions might consider with their No. 2 overall draft pick, raised some eyebrows at the scouting combine when he only had 23 reps in the bench press (at 225 pounds). There were a half-dozen defensive backs who lifted more. Nebraska defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh, who is apparently neck-and-neck with McCoy on the draft boards, had 32 reps.

While McCoy is expected to perform another bench press at some point down the road, he opted not to lift at Oklahoma's pro day this week. Lions head coach Jim Schwartz said he wasn't surprised by that decision.

"Maybe he circles back and does it in April. I don't know how much you can add to something in two weeks,'' said Schwartz, adding that the 23 reps is just part of the scouting package. "It's not alarming, but it's information. It's what it was. He's got good strength, he's got really, really good lower body strength and things like that. If you watched him play, I don't think you'd say he lacks upper body strength. No, it doesn't surprise me that he wouldn't do it so quickly off of the combine.''

March 12th, 2010, 1:59 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next