View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 20th, 2014, 2:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Mike Iupati 
Color Commentator - John Madden

Iupati looked great in the Humanitarian bowl. There is an interview with him on draftcountdown.com today.

I liked what I saw, but I'm not sure about his ability to play all 5 line positions. He might be able to play RT and both G's, but LT and C I'm not so sure of. It's a good thing as the Lions are set at those positions... right?

January 22nd, 2010, 1:38 pm
Team MVP

I just thought that was cool him being considered able to play those positions. IF the Lions got him, Im sure and i hope they put him at LG.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 22nd, 2010, 1:48 pm
Afghan Allstar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhFMZROcNZ8

Don't really get to see his play in this one. But, the commentators are talking exclusively about him. They also put up an amazing stat. 807 snaps played...0 sacks allowed. I want him to be my left guard.

January 22nd, 2010, 3:38 pm
QB Coach

Iupati making an impression in Mobile
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 27, 2010 9:02 AM ET
One of the most buzzed about players during Senior Bowl week thus far is a 325-pound interior lineman. Idaho's Mike Iupati must be doing something right to get so much attention at an oft-overlooked position.

A sample of the love being thrown his way:

Former Ravens/Browns scout Daniel Jeremiah: [Iuputi is the] most likely Pro Bowler if you took a poll of scouts at Senior Bowl. Rare size, strength and quickness. Sticks out like a sore thumb."

Greg A. Bedard of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel: "[The Packers] were very, very high on Idaho G Mike Iupati, maybe even a good possibility when they pick at No. 23. But he won't. If people overlooked Iupati before this week, they haven't now . . . He's a darn good player and is screaming up draft boards. 35-inch arms don't hurt."

ESPN.com: Iuputi has confirmed his spot as the best guard in the draft.

60 Minutes did a fantastic piece on football in American Samoa a few weeks back. Iuputi, who moved to the United States when he was 14, will be the latest to carry on the tiny island's proud tradition. Here's the video if you missed it. (And have a lot of time to kill.)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... in-mobile/

January 27th, 2010, 10:44 am
RIP Killer

He'll be gone round one... dang... I REALLY want this kid...

January 27th, 2010, 11:46 am
Team MVP

He'll be gone round one... dang... I REALLY want this kid...

Im with you. Then again, you just never know what can happen. Some crazy trade could happen and the Lions could move far enough down to land Iupati. I dont see it happening, but you just never know.

Especially with the recent "points" people made about the Lions wanting real big guys at DT, maybe passing on Suh/McCoy...etc ??

Again, I doubt it, especially doubt passing on Suh, but again ya never know.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

January 27th, 2010, 12:42 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

Do you think the Lions would trade back into the 1st round to get him, or would that cost too much in the way of picks? I think the Lions might be able to leverage their 2nd and a guy like Julian Peterson who still has value left and would be an expiring contract after this year. He's still got use and the right team could use him. Maybe Houston at #20. Peterson, #34, and a pick next year for Iupati if he's still there.

We didn't see Mayhew wheel and deal in this years draft. Considering Millen was wheelin' and dealin' you think Mayhew might have learned to do that. It was one of the only things Millen was any good at, and thats debatable. If the right deal presents itself, then maybe. With all the holes it might not be worth it, but if they can get Suh/McCoy and Iupati with their first two picks, the "Build The Trenches" posters will have to shut their yaps for a long time.

January 27th, 2010, 12:54 pm
Team MVP

Do you think the Lions would trade back into the 1st round to get him, or would that cost too much in the way of picks? I think the Lions might be able to leverage their 2nd and a guy like Julian Peterson who still has value left and would be an expiring contract after this year. He's still got use and the right team could use him. Maybe Houston at #20. Peterson, #34, and a pick next year for Iupati if he's still there.

We didn't see Mayhew wheel and deal in this years draft. Considering Millen was wheelin' and dealin' you think Mayhew might have learned to do that. It was one of the only things Millen was any good at, and thats debatable. If the right deal presents itself, then maybe. With all the holes it might not be worth it, but if they can get Suh/McCoy and Iupati with their first two picks, the "Build The Trenches" posters will have to shut their yaps for a long time.

If I were Mayhew and knew that I could get Iupati by giving our #34, Peterson, and a next year pick, I would do it. So far, im impressed with Mayhew and thought we had a nice draft last year. With that said, I trust Mayhew and if he did decide to do something like that, im all for it.

And like you said, Suh/McCoy and Iupati, that would be amazing!

January 27th, 2010, 1:10 pm
Pro Bowl Player

On PFT people are saying Top 10 with a bullet.

January 27th, 2010, 1:21 pm
Profile WWW
Walk On

I think the reason we didn't see more dealings with the Lions after some great work he had done in trades outside the draft was that only maybe at #20 was there any wiggle room to move back and that may not have meshed well with how their board had developed. Maybe they saw themselves stuck in a position where they wouldn't get a valued spot filled because they probably would have lost out on Mack, Oher, and Pettigrew with very few options left that would have plugged "important holes" with mostly LB's and WR's left.

I also think the last thing they wanted to do was give up picks to move up if they felt someone they liked would be available at their picks.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them move up or back more this year (though only on 1st and at pick #2 might be hard). But if Mayhew is going to become as good at draft trading as he was before and after, we probably won't see it till draft 4 when losing picks won't hurt a particular year as bad as it would now, and stockpiling picks become an option if those picks are for a later year.

January 27th, 2010, 1:34 pm
RIP Killer

I'd give someone our second and Peterson to move up to get him. I just don't think many would even consider that trade.

January 27th, 2010, 2:23 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Idaho LG Mike Iupati catches Lions' Linehan's attention
BY NICHOLAS J. COTSONIKA
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

MOBILE, Ala. -- If you're Lions offensive coordinator Scott Linehan, there's a lot to like about Idaho guard Mike Iupati.

"Obviously, he's the best player in this game," Linehan said Tuesday, after the Lions' coaches led the North in its second practice for Saturday's Senior Bowl.

Linehan laughed as he said that. He was just joking, because he played quarterback at Idaho and began his coaching career there. Got to support the alma mater.

But he wasn't far off, either. Iupati might be the best guard prospect in this game. And he plays left guard, where the Lions happen to have a gaping hole.

"I've heard a lot of good things about him, and it's holding true," Linehan said. "You really notice him. He can do the double teams. He's powerful. But you see him pull."

Iupati is 6-feet-5, 325 pounds. He has the arm length of an offensive tackle -- 35 inches, the longest at the Senior Bowl. He's so athletic that Linehan can see him playing four spots on the line. The Lions have tried Iupati at both guard spots and at left tackle. Iupati said "right guard's just a little bit uncomfortable" and he has no experience at tackle, but coach Jim Schwartz said he wasn't out of place.

"I think the one thing that scouts wanted to see ... is when you step up to this level and you're going against guys who are maybe from bigger conferences, there's not a whole lot of adjustment period," Schwartz said. "I think that's what we saw with Mike in the last couple days. He's right at home playing against these other guys that are the best players in the country."

But will the Lions be in position to draft Iupati? They hold the No. 2 and No. 34 picks. Scouts say Iupati could go mid-to-late first round.

Yea, I don't think he's gonna fall to the 2nd round either. Too bad.

January 27th, 2010, 2:38 pm
RIP Killer

Iupati won't last past the Steelers with the #18 pick....and I could see him going even earlier, possibly to San Fran at #13 or Seattle at #14 to replace Steve Hutchinson (finally).

If either of those teams don't feel Trent Williams is worth that pick, and both Anthony Davis and Bryan Bulaga are already gone, I can see one of them taking Iupati there.

For the Lions to move up from their #34 pick they'd have to trade away more than just Julian Peterson as part of the package to get high enough into the first round. Other teams aren't going to take garbage for their first round pick, especially to move down from the mid-first round to the early second round. It typically takes multiple trade downs, ala New England last year, for the team to make that move.

However, I have been reading about this other guard, John Jerry, who seems to be impressing folks. He's been flying WAY under radar, and seems to holding his own pretty well.

Another player that has been seeing some decent reviews from the guard spot is Vladmir Ducasse. He has some inconsistencies, and could never make the move to tackle, but supposedly once he locks on the defender is all but toast.

January 27th, 2010, 4:44 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

However, I have been reading about this other guard, John Jerry, who seems to be impressing folks. He's been flying WAY under radar, and seems to holding his own pretty well.

Another player that has been seeing some decent reviews from the guard spot is Vladmir Ducasse. He has some inconsistencies, and could never make the move to tackle, but supposedly once he locks on the defender is all but toast.

I agree about Jerry. I think he may be more of a RG but I would take a shot on him.

I have heard very mix reviews on Ducasse.

January 27th, 2010, 7:31 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I have heard very mix reviews on Ducasse.

Sounds like Ducasse has the physical tools, and may eveolve into a "Steal", but he wont be pulling a Sammie Hilla nd going from dII to NFL starter his 1st season.

We cant afford to pick a project Guard in this draft.. If we are going to take an OG, we need him to be NFL Ready.

January 27th, 2010, 7:39 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next