View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 23rd, 2014, 6:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Mike Iupati 
NFL Team Captain

Why not go D first and then take Mike Johnson in a later round?
He would be an immediate improvement on our Oline.

January 27th, 2010, 9:04 pm
Team MVP

Stallion wrote:
I have heard very mix reviews on Ducasse.

Sounds like Ducasse has the physical tools, and may eveolve into a "Steal", but he wont be pulling a Sammie Hilla nd going from dII to NFL starter his 1st season.

We cant afford to pick a project Guard in this draft.. If we are going to take an OG, we need him to be NFL Ready.

Well said. The question is, how can we get a guy like Iupati? Or even Iupati himself, without giving up too much or reaching?

Any possibility of trading down for cheap? Maybe they like this guy the most of all the guys out there, but dont want to "reach" for him?

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 27th, 2010, 11:01 pm
Veteran General Manager

m2karateman wrote:
However, I have been reading about this other guard, John Jerry, who seems to be impressing folks. He's been flying WAY under radar, and seems to holding his own pretty well.

Another player that has been seeing some decent reviews from the guard spot is Vladmir Ducasse. He has some inconsistencies, and could never make the move to tackle, but supposedly once he locks on the defender is all but toast.

I agree about Jerry. I think he may be more of a RG but I would take a shot on him.

I have heard very mix reviews on Ducasse.

Peria's brother has been having a very good senior bowl week. But, that brings his stock up to late 2nd -early 3rd round status.

January 28th, 2010, 2:23 am
Why not go D first and then take Mike Johnson in a later round?
He would be an immediate improvement on our Oline.

Jomo... I agree... I like Mike Johnson a lot as well...

January 28th, 2010, 7:17 am
RIP Killer

Peria's brother has been having a very good senior bowl week. But, that brings his stock up to late 2nd -early 3rd round status.

I think he could go early to mid-second round, possibly to New England. If Logan Mankins leaves, they'll need to replace him. He seems to fit their mold of what they like in offensive linemen.

I know there's a bunch of folks on here that are Mike Johnson fans, and I like him as well. However, he's not really as stocky as I would hope for a guard. I mean, over 6'5" and a shade over 300 lbs is a tackle, not a guard. Also, there are reports that he seems to lack upper body definition and strength. The issue is that his arms measure 32 1/4" long...not long enough for a LT, typically.

I know Johnson was pretty dominant in college, but it looks like he'll have to work overtime in the weight room to get where he needs to be for the NFL. I'll be very interested to see just how many lifts he makes at his Combine/Pro Day workouts.

On the other hand, Jerry is the same height, but weights 26 more lbs than Johnson, has arms two inches longer and was said to have better upper body definition, yet still needs more gym work.

I don't want to turn this into a John Jerry versus Mike Johnson debate. It's more of a "what are we looking for in a guard" type thing. I'd like a big road grader on the left side, since our OC is undersized. Jerry seems like that type, but he also possesses the balance and footwork to pull effectively.

January 28th, 2010, 10:25 am
Veteran General Manager

BillySims wrote:

I think he could go early to mid-second round, possibly to New England. If Logan Mankins leaves, they'll need to replace him. He seems to fit their mold of what they like in offensive linemen.

I know there's a bunch of folks on here that are Mike Johnson fans, and I like him as well. However, he's not really as stocky as I would hope for a guard. I mean, over 6'5" and a shade over 300 lbs is a tackle, not a guard. Also, there are reports that he seems to lack upper body definition and strength. The issue is that his arms measure 32 1/4" long...not long enough for a LT, typically.

I know Johnson was pretty dominant in college, but it looks like he'll have to work overtime in the weight room to get where he needs to be for the NFL. I'll be very interested to see just how many lifts he makes at his Combine/Pro Day workouts.

On the other hand, Jerry is the same height, but weights 26 more lbs than Johnson, has arms two inches longer and was said to have better upper body definition, yet still needs more gym work.

I don't want to turn this into a John Jerry versus Mike Johnson debate. It's more of a "what are we looking for in a guard" type thing. I'd like a big road grader on the left side, since our OC is undersized. Jerry seems like that type, but he also possesses the balance and footwork to pull effectively.

I agree. But, the big knock on Jerry is that he is a waste bender not a knee bender in his stance. That can allow a defensive lineman to get positioning on him and throw him off balance.

January 28th, 2010, 11:41 am
RIP Killer

m2karateman wrote:
BillySims wrote:

I agree. But, the big knock on Jerry is that he is a waste bender not a knee bender in his stance. That can allow a defensive lineman to get positioning on him and throw him off balance.

That's true, but coaching can fix that. Getting a guy to add 30 lbs of muscle to his body the right way takes a little more time. Or at least it should.

Hey, truth be known I'd be happy with either guy taken in the third round.

January 28th, 2010, 1:12 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Iupati at #34 (wont happen now, obviously - at least not without a tradeup.
Jerry or Johnson at #66

As long as we get 1 of the 3 to be our starting LG for the next 5 seasons, I am Happy.

#2 - Suh/McCoy
#34 - Kyle Wilson (or Best Physical Man Cover CB)
#66 - Jerry or Johnson

I would be a Happy Camper.

January 28th, 2010, 1:46 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

DJ-B, you're thinking the same way that I am assuming that they can't trade down. Take the BPA in the 1st, be it Suh or McCoy. Then in the 2nd, go after the best CB remaining. In the 3rd, grab the best available OG. I hate that I can't squeeze a DE in there somewhere, but they only have so many picks.

January 28th, 2010, 2:17 pm
Team MVP

I used to be all for taking defensive line in round 1 AND 2, but after looking at the free agent CB's available this year (nothing good), we almost have to draft a CB in rd 2. Unless there arent any CB's worth taking at #34, we should take one. That is unless for some odd reason Iupati falls that far, or some other surprise drop.

Is Kyle Wilson the favorite right now at #34?

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 28th, 2010, 3:42 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Is Kyle Wilson the favorite right now at #34?
I would say so. He has everything we could want and can return kicks. He is my favorite CB.

January 28th, 2010, 5:27 pm
Veteran General Manager

Jerry or Johnson at #66

As long as we get 1 of the 3 to be our starting LG for the next 5 seasons, I am Happy.

#2 - Suh/McCoy
#66 - Jerry or Johnson

Wilson's stock has shot up to possibly late 1st round. If we want him with our 2nd pick, we will need to trade back into the 1st round.

January 30th, 2010, 12:50 am
Div 1 - Starter

DJ-B wrote:
Jerry or Johnson at #66

#2 - Suh/McCoy
#66 - Jerry or Johnson

Wilson's stock has shot up to possibly late 1st round. If we want him with our 2nd pick, we will need to trade back into the 1st round.

Wilson's stock has been going up a lot recently but I think he could still be available in the early second. A lot of people still have him as only the third best CB.

January 30th, 2010, 3:55 am
RIP Killer

Tough call on Wilson. Word is that he was VERY impressive, and he was hanging with the Ravens for some time. I could see them taking him 25th overall, since their needs at CB are almost as dire as ours.

However, fear not, for there is another whom we could take at #34, and that would be Perrish Cox. He's a big guy, showed up pretty well in Mobile, and would be an OK value there.

January 30th, 2010, 10:36 am
QB Coach

Tough call on Wilson. Word is that he was VERY impressive, and he was hanging with the Ravens for some time. I could see them taking him 25th overall, since their needs at CB are almost as dire as ours.

However, fear not, for there is another whom we could take at #34, and that would be Perrish Cox. He's a big guy, showed up pretty well in Mobile, and would be an OK value there.

I've heard some mixed reviews about how Perrish looked in the first couple days of practice, more bad than good.

Quote:
6. Speaking of corners out of their element, Oklahoma State DB Perrish Cox definitely looks that way. The guy struggles to sit into his drop, has a tendency to get overextended with his footwork and is stiff when asked to turn and run. He also looked uncomfortable in off-coverage all day and needs a lot of work from a technique standpoint if he hopes to hold up in man at the next level.

As with Wilson, I've only heard good things. I used to think he could be had in the third but now if he's there in the second I think we'll take him.

As far as the Ravens, they have a more dire need at WR. I dunno if there are any worth taking at the end of the first round, but that's where I see them looking. Their top 4 WRs are free agents including Mason who may just retire. I could see them taking a corner, but with guys like Webb, Carr and Foxworth under contract (they also have Rolle who I think will retire and Fabian Washington and Frank Walker who are free agents) I think they will look to the mid rounds for someone.

January 30th, 2010, 2:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next