View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 21st, 2014, 4:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Shaun Cody in the 2nd 
RIP Killer

Post Shaun Cody in the 2nd
The Lions traded up 4 spots in the 2nd round with the Titans, gave up a 4th rounder and selected DT Shaun Cody in the 2nd round. Great player - questionable trade in terms of value.

April 23rd, 2005, 6:44 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Is Shaun Cody overrated due to the talent in the USC defense? Don't get me wrong, he's a quality player. But when I look at Antajj Hawthorne, I see an overrated DT because he was next to Erasmus James. I just hope that's not the case with Cody.

Outside of that : Does anyone else see the next Big Baby?? Both named Shaun!

Last edited by conversion02 on April 24th, 2005, 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 23rd, 2005, 7:11 pm
RIP Killer

Scouts' take: Cody is inconsistent and appears to take plays off at times, but he is a first-round talent that we're surprised slipped so far. Detroit did well to trade up to get him. Look for Cody to provide excellent depth at tackle on passing down as well as end in certain running situations during his first season, as the Lions try to take full advantage of his versatility. He also could eventually replace Dan Wilkinson, who turned 32 during the offseason.

Mel Kiper's take: The Lions need help along the line, and Cody has the versatility to play either end or tackle. He helped USC lead the nation in rush defense last year thanks to a great motor and good strength and consistency.

April 23rd, 2005, 7:32 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Post Piss Poor Move
Good player - no question about that. But we didn't have to give up a 4th round pick to get that kind of value. In fact he may have fallen to us anyway.

Shaun Cody is a DT/DE. With Big Daddy in the middle we really needed a pass rusher - not another middle guy. We need someone to rush in off the end. Dan Cody, Justin Tuck, Matt Roth where all available.

Rumor had it that the Lions where going to go with a CB - Justin Miller, Corey Webster, Brandon Browner, Eric Green were all available and would have not cost us a fourth round pick.

No One we select was going to be a for sure starter anyway. These are all depth players. Therefore nothing was that urgent.

I was thinking we could give up our 4th and 6th round pick to move up into the 3rd. THAT would have been a good deal - but giving up a 4th round pick to move up four spots was stupid and unnecessary.

This is NOT Millen's best draft day.

April 23rd, 2005, 7:37 pm
Profile WWW
Fair Weather Fan

THIS GUY WAS THE CAPITAN OF ONE OF THE BEST DEFENSES IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL.
HE IS A GREAT PLAYER AND A LEADER. IS MORE THAN WORTH A 4TH ROUNDER. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

April 23rd, 2005, 11:13 pm
Hall of Fame Player

ARE U GUYS SERIOUS???????
HE IS A GREAT PLAYER AND A LEADER. IS MORE THAN WORTH A 4TH ROUNDER. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Think so...

Well look closely.

5 - 37 Detroit (from Tennessee)...........Cody, Shaun.....DT
6 - 38 Oakland.....................................Routt, Stanford..CB
7 - 39 Chicago.....................................Bradley, Mark...WR
8 - 40 New Orleans (from Washington)..Bullocks, Josh...FS
9 - 41 Tennessee (from Detroit).............Roos, Michael...OT

Tennessee was willing to trade down because they wanted Roos; a really stupid pick given that Khalif Barnes and Marcus Johnson were still available. They saw us coming and took us. Tennessee did to us - what we did to Cleveland last year.

Oakland didn't go DE. If they wanted or needed a DE they could have had Tuck, Roth or Dan Cody - any one of which is a better value than Stan Routt.

Chicago didn't even go defense.

New Orleans had a hole to fill at safety and took what some believe was the best one available.

So we could have kept our 4th round pick and STILL gotten Cody. And if we didn't then I don't believe the drop off in talent from Shaun Cody to Tuck, Roth or Dan Cody was worth the value of our 4th round pick. Which as it turns out could end up being Adrian McPherson. We'll know today when you look at the 5 or 6 picks taken after what would have been our pick in the fourth.

Shaun Cody is an outstanding player and we're lucky to have him as a Lion. But that's not my point. My point is we could have had him anyway without giving up the pick.

April 24th, 2005, 6:26 am
Profile WWW
Red Shirt Freshman

bigbabby5000 wrote:
HE IS A GREAT PLAYER AND A LEADER. IS MORE THAN WORTH A 4TH ROUNDER.

Shaun Cody is an outstanding player and we're lucky to have him as a Lion. But that's not my point. My point is we could have had him anyway without giving up the pick.

I agree, we only have 1 pick left and we still need depth at the O-line position and a Q'back

April 24th, 2005, 8:22 am
Pro Bowl Player

I think they traded all the picks away intentionally. We have a Football team Ladies and gentlemen. 53 men on our roster right now.... VERY GOOD PLAYERS. we are close to the ropes in terms of salary cap, and I dont care what anyone thinks, we have very few needs. Our D got better this off season, our O definitely got better. We need a 3rd string bench warmer at QB and we will take him in the 6th more than likely. Maybe Wait until JUNE 1. 8)

April 24th, 2005, 8:31 am
Profile WWW
NFL Team Captain

I have to agree with LF57. The trade was a stupid move, it looks as if it was made in a panic by a team that had noreason to panic. Couple that with taking Wilson in the 3rd and this turned into a really screwed up draft, save the 2 guys we did get in the 1st and 2nd. I just think we paid to high of a price to get them.

Come on, Stanley Wilson while McPherson was still on the board! What do these guys have up their sleves? Something I hope.

April 24th, 2005, 8:35 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=citadel-2_373172_93&prov=citadel&type=story

No wonder they busted their butts trying to get Cody. It seems like Mooch only wants people he has personal connections with.

Quote:
The Lions decided to stay with the Trojan theme when they chose to trade up in the 2nd round to grab Cody with the 37th pick. There is a connection between the Cody family and Detroit coach Steve Mariucci as the longtime Cody family priest presided over the wedding of Mariucci and his wife. When "Mooch" placed the call to Shaun at his draft day celebration in Beverly Hills it was clear that Cody was excited for the opportunity to move to Motown.

April 24th, 2005, 1:50 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

Thank you!

April 24th, 2005, 1:51 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

Come on, Stanley Wilson while McPherson was still on the board! What do these guys have up their sleves? Something I hope.

What about the fact that every team passed on him in the 3rd round after us, and again in the 4th round, and partially in the 5th round? He was overvalued by the media, making comparisons to Michael Vick.

You can never have too many quality corners. Wilson is a quality corner. It was a solid pick.

April 24th, 2005, 1:55 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Benchwarmer

If the Lions aren't sold on McPherson's character, than they shouldn't draft him. If you are not 100% sold on a guy, then you shouldn't draft him. hat50.gif

April 24th, 2005, 2:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]