View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 27th, 2014, 3:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Shaun Cody 
Varsity Captain

Post Shaun Cody
:arrow: Giving up our 4th round pick to move up for Cody was almost as surprising as the Mike williams pick. What do you guys think of this move?
:arrow:

April 23rd, 2005, 6:46 pm
Profile YIM
5th Round Pick - Traded

April 23rd, 2005, 7:04 pm
Site Admin

I like Shaun COdy but I do not like the trade :?

April 23rd, 2005, 7:16 pm
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I agree with Alpha I like Cody but not worth giving up the 4th rounder.I think we could have stayed where we were and stillgot him.

April 23rd, 2005, 7:18 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Good player - no question about that. But we didn't have to give up a 4th round pick to get that kind of value. In fact he may have fallen to us anyway.

Shaun Cody is a DT/DE. With Big Daddy in the middle we really needed a pass rusher - not another middle guy. We need someone to rush in off the end. Dan Cody, Justin Tuck, Matt Roth where all available.

Rumor had it that the Lions where going to go with a CB - Corey Webster, Justin Miller, Brandon Browner, Eric Green were all available and would have not cost us a fourth round pick.

No One we select was going to be a for sure starter anyway. These are all depth players. Therefore nothing was that urgent.

I was thinking we could give up our 4th and 6th round pick to move up into the 3rd. THAT would have been a good deal - but giving up a 4th round pick to move up four spots was stupid and unnecessary.

This is NOT Millen's best draft day.

April 23rd, 2005, 7:41 pm
Profile WWW
Pop Warner Allstar

you say it's a reach - i disagree

to trade a fourth rounder is steep but to say it's a reach is incorrect.
s.cody was predicted to go mid first.

getting him in the second was good, i just don't like giving up a fourth when we are already short draft picks.

a third and a 6th are all we have remaining in the draft.

April 23rd, 2005, 7:49 pm
RIP Killer

LionsFan57 didn't call it a reach. He said it was good value.

April 23rd, 2005, 7:53 pm
RIP Killer

OVERVIEW

While the Trojans were widely recognized for their explosive offense during the past two national championship seasons, the defensive tackle tandem of Shaun Cody and Mike Patterson was equally responsible for the squad's success.

A versatile player with the ability to line up at any position on the defensive front wall, Cody's hand usage and ability to shoot the gaps with explosion led to him receiving numerous postseason awards as a senior. He was the first Trojan since Chris Claiborne in 1998 to garner Pac-10 Conference Defensive Player of the Year honors.

Cody was originally recruited as a defensive end. Even though he spent four years starting at defensive tackle, he displays the speed and agility to be dominate getting to the quarterback when working off the edge.

Cody began his prep career at Damien (La Verne, Calif.) High, but transferred to Los Altos (Hacienda, Calif.) after his freshman year. He led Los Altos to a pair of CIF Division VII titles and was a near-unanimous All-America selection as a senior. Cody also garnered USA Today All-USA Defensive MVP accolades after he recorded 105 tackles with 22 sacks in 2000.

Cody was a highly-touted recruit that USC felt could be a cornerstone of its rebuilding project, and he did not disappoint as a freshman. After seeing reserve action the first four games of 2001, he took over at right defensive tackle and recorded 39 tackles (32 solo) with five sacks and seven stops for losses, earning Freshman All-America honors from the Football Writers Association and The Sporting News for that performance.

Cody was having a banner sophomore campaign in 2002, but in the sixth contest vs. California, he suffered torn ligaments in his right knee and missed the rest of the year, finishing with 20 tackles.

He did not return to the field until the 2003 season opener (missed '03 spring and summer camp). Back in his familiar spot, Cody picked up Associated Press All-America third-team and All-Pac 10 first-team honors as a junior. He posted 26 tackles, six sacks and 10? stops behind the line of scrimmage as the Trojans shared the national title.

Cody was again afforded All-America (consensus) accolades in 2004, while also being a finalist for the Lombardi Award and Hendricks Award, and a semifinalist for the Bednarik Award and Lott Trophy. He totaled a career-high 45 tackles (29 solo), 10 sacks, 13 stops for losses, two forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries and three pass deflections while serving as team captain.

Cody closed out his career with 130 tackles (89 solo), 21 sacks for minus-162 yards, 31? stops for losses of 185 yards, four fumble recoveries, three forced fumbles, five pass deflections and five blocked field goals.

ANALYSIS

Technically sound player with superb hand usage. Fierce desire and a motor that simply will not quit. Has a well-built frame, but looks lean and he has the room to add more growth.

Shows the quickness to gain the edge and a good burst to close. Can also hold the point against the run and does a very good job of playing with leverage. Has strong hands and can shed and make plays working down the line.

On plays going away from him, Cody shows good effort to pursuit. His outstanding hand usage prevents blockers from locking him up or pushing him off tackles. Displays the speed and power to be effective working off the edge as a defensive end and the strong hand swipes and initial burst to gain inside penetration as a defensive tackle.

His quick first step and strong feel for the cadence allows him to explode and dominate when shooting the inside gaps. Shows valid upper-body strength that he uses effectively to separate, disengage and shed. Does a very good job of recognizing and diagnosing schemes up front, as his instincts help him react quickly. Has the ability to grab and rip to defeat pass protectors or run blockers.

Shows excellent reactions, but his hips are not very flexible, as he struggles at times to maintain balance, especially when working having to pursue distances. Plays with good nastiness and is very effective at getting under the ball carrier, as he consistently can uncoil and wrap up.

The thing you notice on film is Cody's instant burst, the toughness to defeat pass schemes and the closing burst to get to the quarterback. Fluid short-area runner who is very strong against the rush, staying at a low pad level and bringing his arms up quickly to stun and jolt. Has the strength to control the line of scrimmage and the power to split double teams. Possesses very good field vision and plays with excellent awareness. Moves well through traffic, but does look a little top heavy and off balance in long pursuit.

Is usually the first lineman to pick up ball movement up front and he uses his arms and hands to jolt and stonewall blockers at the point of attack. Can close quickly when he gets sight on his target and is quite effective flushing the quarterback out of the pocket.

Type of player that offenses constantly need to account for, especially when he generates his backside pursuit. Experimented at defensive end during the 2004 offseason, but the team felt it best to match their two best linemen (Mike Patterson) in the interior.

INJURY REPORT

2002 -- Suffered torn ligaments in his right knee vs. California (10/12), missing the final seven games of the season. He also sat out 2003 spring drills while continuing to recover from his injury.

AGILITY

4.95 in the 40-yard dash ? 425-pound bench press ? Bench presses 225 pounds 24 times ? 550-pound squat ? 326-pound power clean ? 31?-inch vertical jump ? 31?-inch arms ? 10-inch hands.

April 23rd, 2005, 8:02 pm
Pop Warner Allstar

LionsFan57 didn't call it a reach. He said it was good value.

who said he did?????

liontrax did

April 23rd, 2005, 8:11 pm
RIP Killer

My bad, I didn't read the post thoroughly. Easy up, homes.

April 23rd, 2005, 8:35 pm
QB Coach

I'm very glad that they traded that 4th up, and got Cody.

NFL.com had him as the 16th best player in the draft. He is versatile, well coached, polished, and is a solid all-around player.

He fills a need at either DT or DE (likely DT), and isn't a much worse player than Travis Johnson.

He is a first round pick, fell to the second. We had a high grade on him, and wanted to ensure that we got him. So we traded up and got him.

We did the same with Kevin Jones last year. We could have stayed at our pick and got him, likely. But we ensured ourselves that we got our player.

We all know how that turned out... :-D

If Detroit was any good with late round gems, then I would be a little pissed. But they aren't. We didn't need that 4th rounder.

April 24th, 2005, 1:50 pm
Profile WWW
NFL Veteran

Detroit is good with late round gems. The past two draft... virtually all our players including late rounders are still on the team. Those are gems imo.

You seem to be missing the point here and the other Cody thread Brian. Most aren't unhappy with the Cody pick. Most think he could've been had by standing pat.

I guess Oakland probably would've taken... but nobody will ever know I guess.

April 24th, 2005, 1:58 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

NFL.com had him as the 16th best player in the draft. He is versatile, well coached, polished, and is a solid all-around player.

He fills a need at either DT or DE (likely DT), and isn't a much worse player than Travis Johnson.

He is a first round pick, fell to the second. We had a high grade on him, and wanted to ensure that we got him. So we traded up and got him.

We did the same with Kevin Jones last year. We could have stayed at our pick and got him, likely. But we ensured ourselves that we got our player.

If Detroit was any good with late round gems, then I would be a little pissed. But they aren't. We didn't need that 4th rounder.

Brian,

Maybe you're right - It was NEXT YEARS 4th round pick we didn't need. :roll:

April 24th, 2005, 2:44 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

Brian wrote:

Brian,

Maybe you're right - It was NEXT YEARS 4th round pick we didn't need. :roll:

Artose Pinner
John Taylor

Those are the kind of wonderful players the Lions take in the 4th round.

Until they ever find a gem, I say use those late round picks in trades. We don't have success in finding starters in late rounds.

Cody is a starter. He is a great player. Teams may have taken him. If he was gone, then we would have been in trouble.

No one complained when we traded for Kevin.

April 24th, 2005, 3:28 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

... If he was gone, then we would have been in trouble...

...IF...

...IF...

...If a frog had wings it wouldn't bump his rump when he jumped!

April 24th, 2005, 3:57 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next