View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 17th, 2014, 11:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Draft Defense!!! 
RIP Killer

Post Draft Defense!!!
Draft some freaking Defense!!!

Quote:
Wojo: Lions must reverse wretched trend, draft for defense

The Lions finally got a break, and they can't blow it. No, even they can't blow it.
They need defensive players, tons of them. And guess what? The NFL draft is packed with defensive players, tons of them.
Rankings will change after the NFL's meat-market combine, but one thing can't change: The Lions must load up on defense, because rarely have need and opportunity collided so nicely.
My early guess (hope?) is, GM Martin Mayhew will draft Oklahoma defensive tackle Gerald McCoy at No. 2. Sure, I'd rather have Nebraska defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh, but I bet St. Louis grabs him at No. 1 because no quarterback is worthy of the top pick.

If you don't concur, well, Suh me. (Sorry, couldn't resist.) There's no sense trying to over-think this. Please, don't join the odd clamor that the Lions should keep bolstering their offense before focusing on their astonishingly horrid defense.
You know who would agree with that philosophy? Cough-cough, Matt Millen would, because that's what he did, stocking up on receivers to support Joey Harrington.
I can't believe this is even true, but here it is: Since 2001, the Lions have made 11 first-round selections, and 10 have been offensive players. Ten! I said TEN!!!
That's so faulty, I'm surprised the NFL didn't step in and stop it. Does anyone honestly wonder how their defense got as bad as any NFL defense ever? Linebacker Ernie Sims was the lone exception amid a sad roll call that included Charles Rogers, Mike Williams, Roy Williams, Kevin Jones and others.
Matthew Stafford needs help on offense, of course, and he got help in tight end Brandon Pettigrew and receiver Calvin Johnson. But the Lions are 2-30 the past two seasons -- they need help everywhere.
At some point, you have to commit to drafting defensive talent instead of always reaching for the shiniest item you see, disguised as the "best player available." With his defensive background, Jim Schwartz has to know this, and has to implement it.
A young quarterback's best friend is not necessarily a receiver or a running back, although the Lions do need a running back. It's a defense. Another rookie quarterback, Mark Sanchez, made the playoffs this season, and it was because the Jets have the No. 1 defense in the league.
People, this isn't that complicated. Quarterbacks do not hide a defense's deficiencies. A defense can hide a quarterback's deficiencies.
How many times was Stafford forced to fling it with the Lions down by double-digits? The whole offensive philosophy changes if you trail 10-3 at the half instead of 24-3.
Listen. I was skeptical of the Stafford selection at No. 1. The early returns are fairly favorable, not because Stafford was great (he showed flashes) but because the Lions would be stuck picking a less-promising quarterback this year.
Sam Bradford? Jimmy Clausen? Tim Tebow? Colt McCoy? All have injuries or major question marks.
On Mel Kiper's Big (Hair) Board, 13 of his 25 highest-rated players are on the defensive line and in the secondary, precisely where the Lions need the most help. This notion that you must take dynamic offensive talent early in the draft is plain silly. That thinking -- with the unspoken motive of stirring fan interest -- is partly what set the Lions on their wretched course.
Some thought drafting Stafford was a no-brainer. Maybe it was. Drafting defense now, early and often, is a bigger no-brainer.

January 11th, 2010, 11:11 am
RIP Killer

Given the talent level, I'm in favor of a BPA approach with a few exceptions - QB, TE, SS and perhaps a few LB spots. Take out OT and C because the Lions appear satisfied there and I'm open to anything.

This does appear to be a defensive rich draft, as such I tend to agree with the approach to draft primarily on the defensive side of the ball.

But until we understand how FA changes things for this team, it is pretty futile to build your draft strategy just yet.

January 11th, 2010, 11:50 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]