View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 23rd, 2014, 9:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 What's STL going to do? 
Team MVP

I still am a believer that the Rams will take a QB with their first pick. I just cant help but compare them to us from last year, when Curry was the safest pick but in the end we took Stafford, which was the right choice. I think the Rams end up with the same thing. I think Suh is the safer pick, but value-wise AND need, I think they end up with a QB.

Averaging 11 PPG, that just doesnt cut it in the NFL. And the QB has a lot to do with those numbers.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 19th, 2010, 3:56 pm
QB Coach

I still am a believer that the Rams will take a QB with their first pick. I just cant help but compare them to us from last year, when Curry was the safest pick but in the end we took Stafford, which was the right choice. I think the Rams end up with the same thing. I think Suh is the safer pick, but value-wise AND need, I think they end up with a QB.

Averaging 11 PPG, that just doesnt cut it in the NFL. And the QB has a lot to do with those numbers.

I can see the Rams trading for Vick, then taking Suh #1. But, even if that happens I think the Lions are in a great spot. Suh or McCoy or trading down are all good options.

http://www.11points.com/Books/11_Things ... _Do_Anyway

LET'S GO DUKE!

If you don't like gay marriage, don't get one.

January 19th, 2010, 4:17 pm
RIP Killer

I agree TJ, I think we come out winners in either 3 scenarios, although some are more desired than others.

January 19th, 2010, 4:19 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

PFT wrote:
Carriker fine with Rams drafting Suh
Posted by Mike Florio on January 19, 2010 8:18 AM ET
The Rams selected Nebraska defensive tackle Adam Carriker in the first round of the 2007 draft. They're now in position to take another defensive tackle from Nebraska, and that's fine with Carriker.

"Yeah, bring in [Ndamukong] Suh," Carriker recently said, per the Associated Press. "I mean, why not? If they feel he's the best player. Whoever they bring in, they know what they're doing."

But "they" haven't really known what they're doing lately, given a 1-15 record in 2009, a 2-14 mark in 2008, and a 3-13 record in 2007.

At that pace, 0-16 is right around the corner.

Though Suh widely is regarded (at least for now) as the top player on the draft board, the Rams need plenty of help at other positions -- including quarterback. So they could hold an auction for the Suh pick, trade down several spots, take Sam Bradford or Jimmy Clausen, pay less money (unless a rookie wage scale is imposed), and land some extra choices.

Or, as Chris Mortensen of ESPN pointed out over the weekend, they could swing a deal for Eagles quarterback Mike Vick, who most likely will be traded within the first five days of the 2010 league year, when he's due to receive a $1.5 million roster bonus. That would make quarterback less of a priority in round one, allowing the Rams to land Suh.

It sure would suck if that happened.

January 19th, 2010, 4:53 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I found this interesting and it applies to this discussion:
Detroit News wrote:
NFL Network draft analyst: No QB worthy of No. 1 pick
John Niyo / The Detroit News
Take your pick. But NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock says there's no question who should be the top two selections in the 2010 NFL Draft. And both players are defensive tackles: Nebraska's Ndamukong Suh and Oklahoma's Gerald McCoy.

"To me, they ought to be the first two players off the board -- they're both that good," Mayock said Friday on a conference call previewing next week's Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala.

The Lions, a team that certainly could use some help on the defensive line, own the No. 2 overall pick in April's draft, behind the St. Louis Rams. But while there's speculation the Rams might draft a quarterback at No. 1, Mayock doesn't think it'll happen. He calls this year's class of quarterbacks "average, at best" and doesn't think any of them -- with Oklahoma's Sam Bradford ahead of Notre Dame's Jimmy Clausen on his list -- are worthy of the No. 1 pick.

"I think it's a big reach," he said. "The logical guy is Bradford, and we all need to do more work on Bradford, since he didn't play this year, basically. But at first blush, off his junior year, was I impressed with his national championship game two years ago? I was. Accuracy, poise. That was the only game all year where he was under some pressure. For the most part, he could've sat in a lawn chair and thrown the football most of their games.

"So, no, I'm not a big Clausen fan. I think Bradford's the guy that could be a top-10 pick. but there's no way in the world, in my mind today ... Those two players (Suh and McCoy) just dwarf the quarterbacks."

So who's No. 1? Mayock raves about Suh, saying his performance against Texas in the Big 12 championship game last month "might be the single most-dominant performance I've ever seen in a high-level college football game." Still, he acknowledges some teams might prefer McCoy based on scheme.

"Suh reminds me of (the Minnesota Vikings') Kevin Williams when he came out of Oklahoma State,' Mayock said. "Kevin Williams has been to five Pro Bowls in eight years, I believe. And that's the type of player (Suh) is -- and maybe even a notch beyond that. He's tremendously stout against the run and can get up the field and push the pocket with the pass game. If you can get a defensive tackle that can do both, you have a Pro Bowler.

"He's not as quick-twitch as McCoy. But McCoy's not quite as good against the run as Suh. So some of those one-gap, up-the-field, penetrating teams are gonna like McCoy a little bit better. Because he's quicker, he can get to the quarterback more quickly, and he's still is stout against the run -- he's just not quite as good as Suh is. So it really depends on what you're looking for within the framework of your defense.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detnews.com/article/20100122 ... z0dSv03wrx

January 23rd, 2010, 3:31 pm
Pro Bowl Player

Detroit News wrote:
Take your pick. But NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock says there's no question who should be the top two selections in the 2010 NFL Draft. And both players are defensive tackles: Nebraska's Ndamukong Suh and Oklahoma's Gerald McCoy.

"To me, they ought to be the first two players off the board -- they're both that good," Mayock said Friday on a conference call previewing next week's Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala.

The Lions, a team that certainly could use some help on the defensive line, own the No. 2 overall pick in April's draft, behind the St. Louis Rams. But while there's speculation the Rams might draft a quarterback at No. 1, Mayock doesn't think it'll happen. He calls this year's class of quarterbacks "average, at best" and doesn't think any of them -- with Oklahoma's Sam Bradford ahead of Notre Dame's Jimmy Clausen on his list -- are worthy of the No. 1 pick.

"I think it's a big reach," he said. "The logical guy is Bradford, and we all need to do more work on Bradford, since he didn't play this year, basically. But at first blush, off his junior year, was I impressed with his national championship game two years ago? I was. Accuracy, poise. That was the only game all year where he was under some pressure. For the most part, he could've sat in a lawn chair and thrown the football most of their games.

"So, no, I'm not a big Clausen fan. I think Bradford's the guy that could be a top-10 pick. but there's no way in the world, in my mind today ... Those two players (Suh and McCoy) just dwarf the quarterbacks."

So who's No. 1? Mayock raves about Suh, saying his performance against Texas in the Big 12 championship game last month "might be the single most-dominant performance I've ever seen in a high-level college football game." Still, he acknowledges some teams might prefer McCoy based on scheme.

"Suh reminds me of (the Minnesota Vikings') Kevin Williams when he came out of Oklahoma State,' Mayock said. "Kevin Williams has been to five Pro Bowls in eight years, I believe. And that's the type of player (Suh) is -- and maybe even a notch beyond that. He's tremendously stout against the run and can get up the field and push the pocket with the pass game. If you can get a defensive tackle that can do both, you have a Pro Bowler.

"He's not as quick-twitch as McCoy. But McCoy's not quite as good against the run as Suh. So some of those one-gap, up-the-field, penetrating teams are gonna like McCoy a little bit better. Because he's quicker, he can get to the quarterback more quickly, and he's still is stout against the run -- he's just not quite as good as Suh is. So it really depends on what you're looking for within the framework of your defense.

I remember people were very skeptical of Stafford this time last year--wasn't Mayock one of them? I thought that's why it was a big deal when they broke down film together and Mayock was impressed.

January 23rd, 2010, 4:04 pm
Profile WWW
Mr. Irrelevant

slybri19 wrote:
Detroit News wrote:

I remember people were very skeptical of Stafford this time last year--wasn't Mayock one of them? I thought that's why it was a big deal when they broke down film together and Mayock was impressed.

This is something that I found from last year.

3-10-2009, 03:28 PM
If the Detroit Lions are planning on drafting University of Georgia quarterback Matt Stafford with the top overall pick, NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock offered a strong piece of advice: Don’t do it.

In an interview with WJR Radio in Michigan, per Tom Kowalski of MLive.com, Mayock referenced past NFL quarterback failures like Ryan Leaf and Heath Shuler without predicting that Stafford will necessarily follow in their stumbling footsteps.

Regarding Stafford, Mayock opined: ”There are some things that bother me. If I was the Lions, I’d take [Aaron] Curry or one of those left tackles [Jason Smith or Eugene Monroe]. If you have doubts about the kid, in my opinion, you have to pass. I told everybody last year that Matt Ryan was the guy. I have questions about the guy this year.”

Although Mayock praised Stafford’s arm strength and athleticism, he added that if the Lions get it wrong at quarterback with the No. 1 pick, “They won’t recover for five years.”

In his final word on Stafford, Mayock said, “Sometimes he looked like Superman and sometimes he looked average … I say ‘Why?’”

Ouch.

Meanwhile, Mayock is a big advocate of Curry, the Wake Forest linebacker who won the Dick Butkus award as the nation’s top linebacker.

I 100% agree. Don't take a quarterback, just because of the position. Don't be forced to take a Quarterback who is hot and cold.

If I was the main guy in Detroit, I would be calling for Aaron Curry. He is the best/safest/sure pick in the draft. Then with pick 20 select a tackle in Eben Britton, William Beatty, or Jamon Meredith.

Second round comes along, see if Josh Freeman is there, if not wait till the third round and get Nate Davis, and build up your Tight End or get a big run stuffer in Ron Brace.

I'm not necessarily bashing Mayock. In fact I enjoy his input on NFL Network, and feel he points out a lot of interesting observations. However, I feel he missed on Stafford. Many of us did, myself included. I was blinded by the fact that our defense was so bad that we must address that first and foremost. Bradford could leap into the fray with a good workout prior to the draft. Plenty of time between now and then for things to change.

January 23rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

I can't see St. Louis thinking that Mike Vick is going to be the answer at QB. He was a mediocre passing QB in his prime, and now that he doesn't have the same electricity or wheels that he did I can't see him being a good option in St. Louis. Now, if they're trying to sell tickets then by all means, go for it. But if they're trying to win then they better get a QB. I think that once Bradford and Clausen have chances to work out for pro scouts one of them will be elevated to a lofty status.

If they do pick up Vick I don't necessarily think that means they wouldn't take a QB. Vick's going to be a stop gap. If they think they are going to be picking at the top of next years draft, again, then they could wait for Locker or Mallett. Interesting scenarios no doubt.

January 23rd, 2010, 8:26 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

I think the last time we had that kind of luck is when the Cowboys took Aikman#1, Packers took Mandrich #2 and we lucked out with Some RB you Might of heard of named Sanders.

It wasn't luck that lead to the Lions drafting Barry Sanders it was Wayne Fontes who went into that draft deciding he needed to draft somebody to replace Billy Sims who had been the face of the franchise. Barry was considered to be too small and not among the top players in the draft.

Fontes went against his scouting department and passed on the two guys who were rated higher (both hall of fame players) Derrick Thomas and Deion Sanders. Both were more likely to have gone #2 than Barry.

What does this have to do with anything?
If the Rams feel that Bradford or Clausen can be the face of the franchise you take him and don't worry about who is rated higher on the draft board.

January 24th, 2010, 11:50 am
RIP Killer

Quote:
In his final word on Stafford, Mayock said, “Sometimes he looked like Superman and sometimes he looked average … I say ‘Why?’”

Mayock still has yet to be proven wrong...

January 24th, 2010, 6:21 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

Another thing I want to know is: "Why would St. Louis even think about trading for Vick to give him control of the offense?"

January 24th, 2010, 7:14 pm
RIP Killer

Quote:
I think the last time we had that kind of luck is when the Cowboys took Aikman#1, Packers took Mandrich #2 and we lucked out with Some RB you Might of heard of named Sanders.

It wasn't luck that lead to the Lions drafting Barry Sanders it was Wayne Fontes who went into that draft deciding he needed to draft somebody to replace Billy Sims who had been the face of the franchise. Barry was considered to be too small and not among the top players in the draft.

Fontes went against his scouting department and passed on the two guys who were rated higher (both hall of fame players) Derrick Thomas and Deion Sanders. Both were more likely to have gone #2 than Barry.

What does this have to do with anything?
If the Rams feel that Bradford or Clausen can be the face of the franchise you take him and don't worry about who is rated higher on the draft board.

Getting a "face of the franchise" is one thing, but getting someone who can lead your offense is quite another. The combines will tell the tale. Personally, I don't think Jimmy Clausen is worthy of a top ten pick, let alone being taken first overall. If Bradford shows good arm strength, accuracy and interviews well, he could be taken tops overall. But Suh will be a tough player to pass over, particularly if they still have Bulger on the team.

To everyone remember....at this time last year, there was no quarterback worthy of the top overall pick in the draft. Mel Kiper was one of the few who was backing Stafford early, but for his own selfish reasons and not out of the fact that Stafford was far and away the clear cut number one based on performance.

January 24th, 2010, 8:43 pm
Pro Bowl Player

Why am I getting the vibe we will take Berry if the Rams take Suh?

January 24th, 2010, 9:31 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Why am I getting the vibe we will take Berry if the Rams take Suh?

We better freakin' NOT!!

January 24th, 2010, 9:35 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Getting a "face of the franchise" is one thing, but getting someone who can lead your offense is quite another.

You have to believe you are drafting someone who can lead your offense so he can become the 'face of your franchise'.

A QB doesn't have to be a hall of famer in waiting to be a #1 pick.

January 24th, 2010, 10:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next