View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 7:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 What's STL going to do? 
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

lightning_in_a_bottle wrote:
Why am I getting the vibe we will take Berry if the Rams take Suh?

We better freakin' NOT!!

Unfortunately, I think you may be right, LIAB. Both Schwartz and Cunningham have talked about wanting big, physical DTs in the past, so they may not change that philosophy. I could see them taking Suh, if available, because of his strength, but even he isn't a perfect fit. I just don't know at this point.

January 25th, 2010, 12:15 pm
Walk On

Leo wrote:
Quote:
I think the last time we had that kind of luck is when the Cowboys took Aikman#1, Packers took Mandrich #2 and we lucked out with Some RB you Might of heard of named Sanders.

It wasn't luck that lead to the Lions drafting Barry Sanders it was Wayne Fontes who went into that draft deciding he needed to draft somebody to replace Billy Sims who had been the face of the franchise. Barry was considered to be too small and not among the top players in the draft.

Fontes went against his scouting department and passed on the two guys who were rated higher (both hall of fame players) Derrick Thomas and Deion Sanders. Both were more likely to have gone #2 than Barry.

What does this have to do with anything?
If the Rams feel that Bradford or Clausen can be the face of the franchise you take him and don't worry about who is rated higher on the draft board.

Getting a "face of the franchise" is one thing, but getting someone who can lead your offense is quite another. The combines will tell the tale. Personally, I don't think Jimmy Clausen is worthy of a top ten pick, let alone being taken first overall. If Bradford shows good arm strength, accuracy and interviews well, he could be taken tops overall. But Suh will be a tough player to pass over, particularly if they still have Bulger on the team.

To everyone remember....at this time last year, there was no quarterback worthy of the top overall pick in the draft. Mel Kiper was one of the few who was backing Stafford early, but for his own selfish reasons and not out of the fact that Stafford was far and away the clear cut number one based on performance.

That's stretching it a bit. No QB has been the highest rated player by scouts going into the draft. Heck Palmer was rated eighth. Eli was the highest rated around the consensus of about 5th. Stafford was rated between 6th and 9th with only Mayock suggesting he shouldn't be a #1 pick. Now the people questioning whether he should be the lions top pick is understandable.

Mayock runs into a problem with his list and Mocks. He puts no extra value on QB's. He is always going to be behind the curve on his projections as long as he does that. Kiper who you think was being self serving talking Stafford up has it right. If the QB is the tenth highest rated player and you need a QB and he is your type of QB then you have to pick him. If the Rams like Clausen or Bradford to top 10-15 players and if they cut Bulger then they have to pick him. They already have 4 top picks on their lines.

January 25th, 2010, 12:32 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

I agree, I usually don't trust what Mayock has to say. QB is one of, if not the most important position on a football team. I still have a sneaking suspicion that the Rams will take a QB. I just think that they have to, or the fans will revolt against them. DT's don't sell tickets. QB's do. You think Jacksonville is going to draft Tebow? I sure do.

January 25th, 2010, 12:42 pm
Pro Bowl Player

m2karateman wrote:

We better freakin' NOT!!

Unfortunately, I think you may be right, LIAB. Both Schwartz and Cunningham have talked about wanting big, physical DTs in the past, so they may not change that philosophy. I could see them taking Suh, if available, because of his strength, but even he isn't a perfect fit. I just don't know at this point.

The overused cliche on McCoy is that he would be a great 'consolation prize' for the Lions. Mayhew and Schwartz don't seem like the consolation prize types--either they like the guy or they don't.

January 25th, 2010, 12:52 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

January 25th, 2010, 1:18 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I don't understand the skepticism about Clausen--aside from the normal doubts about college QBs coming into the NFL. To me, Clausen looks more pro-ready than either Sanchez or Freeman were last year--and pretty close to where Stafford was. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see St. Louis take him at #1 overall.

January 25th, 2010, 1:37 pm
Team MVP

I agree, I usually don't trust what Mayock has to say. QB is one of, if not the most important position on a football team. I still have a sneaking suspicion that the Rams will take a QB. I just think that they have to, or the fans will revolt against them. DT's don't sell tickets. QB's do. You think Jacksonville is going to draft Tebow? I sure do.

I 100% agree with you. I think this years Rams are like last years Lions. They have the oppurtunity to take the safest pick, but instead took the pick with the most value AND most need. I, also, believe in the end that the Rams will take a quarterback, im thinking Clausen. The Rams averaged 11 PPG. That will very rarely win games in the NFL, even if you have a good defense. They dont have a good defense.

Yes, Suh would help them....but when they cant score points next year, they just might regret not taking their QB.

I also dont think its worth waiting until the second round for them to take their "franchise quarterback". If most think there arent any qb's worth a top 5 pick, why in the world would you think theres "franchise quality" quarterbacks in the second.

You really want Colt McCoy to be your future quarterback?

This is all my opinion, so no need to go off the handle on this.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 25th, 2010, 6:04 pm

I think one of the main differences between Kiper and Mayock (besides the fact that Mayock actually knows what he's doing) is that Kiper ranks players based upon where he thinks they will get drafted, while Mayock projects where he thinks they should get drafted. As a result, Kiper over-values QBs, while Mayock does not. This actually makes Kiper more accurate in this regard because most teams do the exact same thing. I can only hope that the Rams do it this year too. :lol:

January 25th, 2010, 8:40 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

m2karateman wrote:

We better freakin' NOT!!

I've been thinking the same thing lately. Wonder what the Lions would do if they can't trade out of the spot? I know every one assumes it would be Berry. That could change. I have seen C.J. Spiller rated as high as 5 on talent boards. If he goes to the combine and runs a low 4.3 and is equally impressive in agility drills it could change some minds in some war rooms. I don't buy the argument that he isn't an every-down back. He's the same size as Chris Johnson(Titans). Don't get me wrong, I'm not proposing he should be at the top of the Lions board. Just thought I'd throw it out there. Trying to keep an open mind. The Lions do need play-makers, we have only one. Personally, I would like to see a couple added in this years draft. Any thoughts?

January 27th, 2010, 5:33 pm
RIP Killer

I know that Schwartz has said that he wants big, physical DTs for this defense. But he has also said that they need to add TALENT. There is no denying that McCoy is more talented than any of the other DTs that are bigger (Suh is essentially the same size).

Based upon stating that Schwartz wants "big" DTs, the Lions would pass on Suh if St. Louis takes a QB.

And the idea that Suh is that much better than McCoy is a BIG mistake. Suh caught many people by surprise with his play, and he was the single standout player on an otherwise middle of the road defensive team. McCoy was surrounded by good players at Oklahoma, but still shined. He would have been the first DT off the board last draft, probably taken number three by KC to play as a DE in their 34 rather than them reaching for Tyson Jackson.

McCoy is a dominant DT who plays bigger than he is because of his quickness, his good use of hands and his ability to stay low in his first step. His presence would demand double teams, and he has the quickness and agility to fight through those.

If the Lions take Berry over McCoy, they'll be making an incredible mistake. I'm sorry, but I think Berry is extremely over-hyped. He'll be a top five pick, but I don't think he's going to be the player Ed Reed is.

January 28th, 2010, 10:52 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

I know that Schwartz has said that he wants big, physical DTs for this defense. But he has also said that they need to add TALENT. There is no denying that McCoy is more talented than any of the other DTs that are bigger (Suh is essentially the same size).

Based upon stating that Schwartz wants "big" DTs, the Lions would pass on Suh if St. Louis takes a QB.

And the idea that Suh is that much better than McCoy is a BIG mistake. Suh caught many people by surprise with his play, and he was the single standout player on an otherwise middle of the road defensive team. McCoy was surrounded by good players at Oklahoma, but still shined. He would have been the first DT off the board last draft, probably taken number three by KC to play as a DE in their 34 rather than them reaching for Tyson Jackson.

McCoy is a dominant DT who plays bigger than he is because of his quickness, his good use of hands and his ability to stay low in his first step. His presence would demand double teams, and he has the quickness and agility to fight through those.

If the Lions take Berry over McCoy, they'll be making an incredible mistake. I'm sorry, but I think Berry is extremely over-hyped. He'll be a top five pick, but I don't think he's going to be the player Ed Reed is.

Agree with you on Berry. That kind of happens this time of year. I would not be surprised to see him fall out of the top five. If he were a true corner as opposed to safety his value might be higher. Safeties don't get picked that high. I have no doubt at this time that the Lions will take one of the DT's. I'll be hoping for a trade on d-day, but don't think it will happen til rounds 2 or 3.

January 28th, 2010, 4:19 pm

Don't know if this will affect what the Rams do in the draft, but.....
NFL.com wrote:
Illinois businessman Khan agrees to buy Rams, pending approval
Associated Press

ST. LOUIS -- Rumors that the St. Louis Rams were being sold have been rampant the past couple of years, raising concerns that the franchise would end its recent sad-sack run with a move out of town.

The Rams announced Thursday that its majority owners have indeed agreed to sell their stake, but to a potential buyer within driving distance -- and one who doesn't want to relocate the once-proud franchise.

If approved by a 75 percent vote of NFL owners, Chip Rosenbloom and Lucia Rodriguez, the children of the late Rams owner Georgia Frontiere, will sell their 60 percent stake to Shahid Khan, the 55-year-old president of an auto parts manufacturer, Flex-N-Gate, in Urbana, Ill.

"Today is a tremendously exciting day, I think, for the organization," said Kevin Demoff, the Rams' executive vice president of football operations and chief operating officer. "Whether or not the sale to a prospective buyer goes through, I think it reaffirms to everybody the commitment this club has to St. Louis and our belief in this marketplace."

Demoff said he wasn't aware whether an agreement had been submitted to the NFL. He said the sale could be completed as early as May.

Kitty Ratcliffe, the head of the St. Louis Convention & Visitors Commission, applauded the announcement.

"I thought that was very good news," she said. "It's someone from the general area, is a fan of the team, has been in the dome and obviously has ties to the area."

Forbes magazine recently estimated that the Rams' franchise has a value of $913 million, 25th out of 32 NFL teams, though some experts have said a more realistic sale price will be closer to $750 million. The sale was first reported by the Web site for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

Stan Kroenke, a billionaire from Columbia, Mo., owns the remaining 40 percent of the franchise as well as the NBA's Denver Nuggets, the NHL's Colorado Avalanche, Major League Soccer's Colorado Rapids plus a large stake in the Arsenal soccer club.

Kroenke has 60 days to decide what to do with his stake in the Rams. He could choose to sell or make a bid to become the sole owner, although such a bid would be complicated by the NFL's restriction of cross-ownership. A spokesman for Kroenke didn't respond to an e-mail from The Associated Press.

"I believe at the end of the 60 days, you'll know who is buying what percentage of the club, if they're actually moving forward on the sale," Demoff said.

During the process, Demoff said the Rams were under no financial constraints.

"We're excited to go into free agency and to the draft and find ways to improve this team," Demoff said.

The sale of the Rams has been expected since Frontiere's death in January 2008. Her children are both involved in other interests, and neither has ties to St. Louis.

A group headed by St. Louis Blues owner Dave Checketts also was interested in buying the Rams. Conservative radio talk show host Rush Limbaugh initially was part of the Checketts group, but he was dropped in October after adverse publicity about his involvement.

The sale has raised concerns in St. Louis, which lost the Cardinals after the 1987 season when Bill Bidwill moved the franchise to Arizona. Several games last season weren't sold out, though that was partly due to the on-field performance -- at 1-15, the Rams had the worst record in the league.

Khan didn't return The Associated Press' calls to his home or company.

According to federal court records in Illinois, the Internal Revenue Service has accused Khan and his wife, Ann, of improperly sheltering $250 million in income between 1999 and 2003, reducing their taxes by $85 million. In an interview with The News-Gazette of Champaign, Ill., in early 2009, Shahid Khan said the couple paid the IRS $68 million to settle the dispute, but he insisted he'd done nothing wrong.

"There isn't a hint of a criminal issue here," Khan told the newspaper, saying he planned to try to get the money back through litigation. It wasn't clear whether he has taken legal steps since then to recover the money, and an IRS spokesman declined comment Thursday.

Last year, Forbes ranked Flex-N-Gate as the 229th largest private company in the U.S., with an estimated $2.14 billion in annual revenue. The company says on its Web site that it has more than 9,500 employees at plants and other facilities in the U.S., Canada, Mexico, Argentina and Spain.

St. Louis was without an NFL team from 1988 to 1994.

The NFL passed over St. Louis for the smaller Jacksonville, Fla., market when it awarded an expansion team in 1993. Two years later, civic leaders convinced Frontiere, a St. Louis native, to move the team from Los Angeles, the nation's second-largest market, back to her hometown.

Within a few years, the Rams put together a powerhouse team that won a Super Bowl title 10 years ago behind quarterback Kurt Warner and the rest of the "Greatest Show on Turf." But lately, the Rams have been one of the NFL's worst teams, going 6-42 from 2007 to 2009.

A loophole in the Rams' lease allows them to move after the 2014 season if the Edward Jones Dome isn't deemed among the top quarter of all NFL stadiums by various measurements. The dome is fast becoming one of the league's older venues, and getting it into the top quarter seems unlikely.

The convention commission spent $30 million upgrading the facility before last season, installing new scoreboards and video boards and upgrading club seating. Next season, the dome is due for a new grass field that can be stored and used in subsequent seasons, a major upgrade.

February 12th, 2010, 2:06 pm
RIP Killer

New Owner, New Start, New QB... always happens like that...

February 12th, 2010, 3:14 pm
RIP Killer

New Owner, New Start, New QB... always happens like that...

agreed, I think the chances of STL selecting a QB just went up dramatically. New owner is going to want to have a new face of the franchise and sell tickets.

February 12th, 2010, 3:41 pm
Profile WWW
Color Commentator - John Madden

They spent a #2 on Jason Smith last year. I could see them taking a QB and re-starting their franchise that way. They've got to get a QB this year, whether it be Vick or Clausen/Bradford.

February 12th, 2010, 4:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next