View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 2:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 What's STL going to do? 
Team MVP

Ive been saying all along that St. Louis will draft a QB with their #1 pick, now im very confident they will. Saying this isnt to sound like a know-it-all, but i just CANNOT see them passing on a quarterback.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

February 12th, 2010, 8:06 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

I think the Rams would be smart to pass on Bradford and Clausen and go QB next year. Will they be guaranteed a shot at say Locker or Mallett next year? No, but I'd wager that they will be right there. They'd be better off bringing in a veteran and trading the first pick of the 2nd round this year for a 1st round pick next year. That gives them the leverage to move into one of those top spots if they don't happen to be in the top five next year.

Bradford has to prove his shoulder is healthy and won't pop out again with a big hit not to mention showing he can run a NFL offense. Bradford is in the same boat as a lot of other college QBs these days. He has hardly taken any snaps under C and must learn to do that, drop back, and run playaction where he will be turning his back to the defense and then being able to find the open man. He's also played behind a wall of an O-line and will have to be able to go through his progressions much faster in the NFL. Another thing is that he didn't run the offense in college. Not only did the plays come in from the sideline but also the in game audibles. He looked lost in that game against Florida, one reason was that he couldn't hear the audibles coming from the coach.

I'm not a huge fan of Clausen but he will likely be better sooner than the Sooner even if not in the long run. With that said I'm not sold on Clausen either. I think in that Patriot style offense he could be really good I don't like what I see on his deeper throws. He has the arm to get the ball downfield but it floats down the field. NFL DBs will eat those type of passes up all day. He was also bailed out quite a bit by Tate and Floyd on some poorly thrown passes. A lot of people point to what a good year he had but I have to argue and say he faced some really bad pass defenses. I'd be surprised if more than a couple were even in the top 50 this year.

Take Suh or McCoy, bring in a veteran, try to land a FA WR, trade the #33 pick for a 1st rounder next year and try to land Locker or Mallett. There are just too many question marks with Bradford and Clausen to take them #1. I think they can both be really good QBs but I'd be hard pressed to take either one #1. Especially if they are playing QB for the Rams. The fans and most likely the new owner will want to see their shiny new toy and throw them to the wolves, possibly setting them on a bad path.

February 12th, 2010, 9:03 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

The only way I see the Rams passing on a QB is if they trade for a veteran or sign one in free agency. Otherwise, they have to do something. They passed on Ryan in 2008 and Sanchez last year. Will they pass on a possible franchise QB for the 3rd year in a row? I don't think so, especially if the new owner has anything to say about it.

February 13th, 2010, 11:18 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

If you have a chance to acquire a franchise QB, you do it. If the Rams like either Bradford or Clausen then they will take a QB in this draft. They'd be crazy not to. Only if they don't like either QB will they draft a DT or some other position. Personally, I like Clausen and think he'll be the #1 pick.

February 13th, 2010, 4:31 pm
1st Round Pick

Spagnuolo has an escape clause upon sale of the team
Posted by Mike Florio on February 13, 2010 3:38 PM ET
Rams minority owner Stan Kroenke, who has the right to match Shahid Khan's offer to buy the remaining 60 percent of the team, isn't the only guy who can throw a wrench in the team's immediate future.

Bernie Miklasz of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that coach Steve Spagnuolo has the ability to walk away upon the sale of the team.

Though it's apparently not the same cash-and-carry deal held by Dolphins V.P. of football operations Bill Parcells, who had the ability not only to leave but also to be paid the balance of his contract, it gives Spagnuolo the rare ability to exit his employment, with no strings attached.

So if anyone wants a coach who went 1-15 last year, the line starts, well, pretty much anywhere.

February 13th, 2010, 4:54 pm
Pro Bowl Player

Quote:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/16/report-bulger-cleans-out-his-locker/
Report: Bulger cleans out locker

Posted by Mike Florio on February 16, 2010 8:32 AM ET
In a move that comes as no surprise yet nevertheless feels surprising (if that makes any sense and it probably doesn't), Howard Balzer reports via Twitter that Rams quarterback Marc Bulger has cleaned out his locker.

Bulger, a former West Virginia quarterback who attended the same high school as Dan Marino, entered the league in 2000 as a sixth-round pick of the Saints. He ultimately landed with the Rams, where he rose to prominence as the successor to Kurt Warner.

But once Bulger cashed in with a big contract, his passer rating plunged from the 90s to the 70s. Three seasons later, the Rams simply can't justify paying Bulger $8.5 million in 2010, given that neither G.M. Billy Devaney nor coach Steve Spagnuolo had any role in acquiring Bulger or financially rewarding him.

So if Bulger is released before March 5, he'll hit the free-agent market before the market officially opens, giving agent Tom Condon plenty of time to find a new home for him.

How about a reunion with former Rams coach Mike Martz in Chicago? As Martz learned in 1999, the guy at the top of the depth chart in August might not be the guy who's holding the Lombardi Trophy at the end of the season. So if Jay Cutler takes a helmet to the knee in the preseason, the Bears will need someone other than whoever it is that backs up Cutler.

And that should be good for about 20 e-mails telling us who it is, and one or two identifying the number Ike Hilliard wore in Tampa. (Only founding members of PFT Planet will get that one.)

February 16th, 2010, 11:22 am
Profile WWW

LIAB, I was just going to post that. It seems like Bulger is all but gone, so if the Rams don't trade for a QB, guess what position they're probably going to take first overall? :D

February 16th, 2010, 11:27 am
Pro Bowl Player

I think we should also remind ourselves that Spags came from the Giants, so he knows the importance of a marquee QB (not that Eli really is, but that's the general perception around the league). What makes us think he'll trade for some old dude and be happy with him as the starter?

February 16th, 2010, 12:16 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Why would they even mention Bulger to Chicago? Seriously... Bulger to Jacksonville? That makes more sense. At least it is feasible...

But on the good side, if the Rams take a QB then we are sitting good!

February 16th, 2010, 12:24 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Why would they even mention Bulger to Chicago? Seriously... Bulger to Jacksonville? That makes more sense. At least it is feasible...

But on the good side, if the Rams take a QB then we are sitting good!

That would put us in a good position to trade down 1 spot so Tampa could take their choice of DT's and we pick up an additional 2nd or 3rd rounder.

We then get whichever one is left. I like them both. Though, I favor McCoy.

February 16th, 2010, 10:34 pm
Div 1 - Starter

They've got to get a QB this year, whether it be Dawg Killa or Clausen/Bradford.

When you say "Dawg Killa," do you mean Mike Vick or Tim Tebow?

My favorite day ever as a Lions fan.

Somehow landing the Ndamo-nator would be the second best day ever.

February 17th, 2010, 12:16 am

I've been hearing some talk of the Rams trading the 1st overall to Tampa Bay for #3 and another pick. In this scenario, the Bucs take Suh, the Lions draft McCoy, and the Rams still get the QB of their choice. Of course, someone like Washington or Seattle could trade up with the Lions and ruin their plans, but the Rams would still be guaranteed to get either Bradford or Clausen. I don't know how likely it is, but it is plausible.

February 17th, 2010, 11:20 am
RIP Killer

That does seem plausible. Would love to see it though because it would help us make our spot more valuable if a team really wanted a certain QB. It would really work in our favor.

February 17th, 2010, 11:30 am
Color Commentator - John Madden

Wayne Fontes wrote:
They've got to get a QB this year, whether it be Dawg Killa or Clausen/Bradford.

When you say "Dawg Killa," do you mean Mike Dawg Killa or Tim Tebow?

I guess I don't get the Tim Tebow reference.

Even if Bulger gets released I have this sneaking suspicion that the Rams will trade for a QB (Mike Vick) and then take a guy like McCoy or LaFevour in the second or third round. That way they can get another DL like they been drafting in the last few years.

February 17th, 2010, 2:51 pm
RIP Killer

This topic was something I was thinking on the treadmill at lunch today (so nice to have a gym in the same bldg in which you work).

Imagine if the Rams have Suh and McCoy ranked neck and neck and decide to pass on a QB and go DT. Their choice could come down to who signs the best contract for STL before the draft. If QB isn't in the mix, then they have quite a bit of leverage.

All things being equal, if it is assumed they would take Suh then McCoy would be wise to settle for a little less money but more than he would make as the #2 overall pick. Suh then falls into the Lions laps...

February 17th, 2010, 3:39 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next