View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 22nd, 2014, 6:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 What's STL going to do? 
This topic was something I was thinking on the treadmill at lunch today (so nice to have a gym in the same bldg in which you work).

Imagine if the Rams have Suh and McCoy ranked neck and neck and decide to pass on a QB and go DT. Their choice could come down to who signs the best contract for STL before the draft. If QB isn't in the mix, then they have quite a bit of leverage.

All things being equal, if it is assumed they would take Suh then McCoy would be wise to settle for a little less money but more than he would make as the #2 overall pick. Suh then falls into the Lions laps...

And then we draft Suh and he holds out for McCoy's exact contract, screwing us in the end!!!

:idea: :arrow:

We always seem to get stuck in a chit position...

February 17th, 2010, 3:58 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

I can't see him having that kind of leverage. Just because they were talking contract doesn't mean he was going to be THE guy. Some teams deliberate with multiple guys just for the leverage reason with their top guy. There has been talk about the agent Suh signed with is a ball-buster so maybe we should hope for McCoy...

February 17th, 2010, 4:34 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

PFT wrote:
Rams are hot for Vick
Posted by Mike Florio on February 17, 2010 8:35 PM ET
It has been assumed for weeks if not months that the St. Louis Rams will be one of the top suitors for Eagles quarterback Mike Vick.

The connection is obvious -- G.M. Billy Devaney served as assistant G.M. in Atlanta when Vick played quarterback there. (And, amazingly, Devaney hasn't ruled out further association with Vick based on that experience.)

Then there's the reality that the Rams have no clear-cut option at quarterback. Signing Vick would allow them to take one of the top-tier defensive tackles with the first overall pick and pass on the risks inherent to taking a quarterback.

One potential unknown in this regard is ownership. Though Shahid Khan has no control over the team yet, it would be prudent for Devaney to ensure that Khan would be OK with the notion of Vick coming to St. Louis. If Khan has concerns, Vick might not be a good fit.

But there's no real downside, in our view. The Eagles already have absorbed the not-as-bad-as-expected P.R. hit for giving a reformed dogfighter a second chance. And it's hard to imagine many folks in St. Louis getting worked up about Vick's arrival, especially since one of the local delicacies consists of a two slices of bread stuffed with the fried contents of a calf's cranium.

One way or the other, the Rams will get a new QB this off-season. The only question is whether it will be a veteran like Vick or a rookie 1st round draft pick? I'm hoping for the latter, obviously.

February 18th, 2010, 10:35 am
Heisman Winner

Here we go again:
PFT wrote:
Rams are hot for Dawg Killa
Posted by Mike Florio on February 17, 2010 8:35 PM ET
It has been assumed for weeks if not months that the St. Louis Rams will be one of the top suitors for Eagles quarterback Mike Dawg Killa.

The connection is obvious -- G.M. Billy Devaney served as assistant G.M. in Atlanta when Dawg Killa played quarterback there. (And, amazingly, Devaney hasn't ruled out further association with Dawg Killa based on that experience.)

Then there's the reality that the Rams have no clear-cut option at quarterback. Signing Dawg Killa would allow them to take one of the top-tier defensive tackles with the first overall pick and pass on the risks inherent to taking a quarterback.

One potential unknown in this regard is ownership. Though Shahid Khan has no control over the team yet, it would be prudent for Devaney to ensure that Khan would be OK with the notion of Dawg Killa coming to St. Louis. If Khan has concerns, Dawg Killa might not be a good fit.

But there's no real downside, in our view. The Eagles already have absorbed the not-as-bad-as-expected P.R. hit for giving a reformed dogfighter a second chance. And it's hard to imagine many folks in St. Louis getting worked up about Dawg Killa's arrival, especially since one of the local delicacies consists of a two slices of bread stuffed with the fried contents of a calf's cranium.

One way or the other, the Rams will get a new QB this off-season. The only question is whether it will be a veteran like Dawg Killa or a rookie 1st round draft pick? I'm hoping for the latter, obviously.

That just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Vick just isn't a logical answer to their QB woes. He wasn't accurate back in the day and now? Who knows.

Defenses would put 14 in the box to stop him and Sjax.

February 18th, 2010, 2:12 pm
Team MVP

Ya i definetly do not see the Rams making Vick "their" quarterback. This team will go downhill real fast.

February 18th, 2010, 3:08 pm

I don't know if they can get much lower then they already are. The writer makes a good point that he's not as toxic as he was made out to be. They may take a shot and get a mid level guy, but they can't think he's going to be the guy that leads them to the playoffs. They need a QB, and if they acquire him then they'll have to assume they'll be in the top 5 again next year, which is totally possible, in order to get Locker or Mallett.

February 18th, 2010, 5:35 pm
RIP Killer

I think he's honestly turned his life around. I have great respect for Tony Dungy, who does not compromise, and Tony has taken personnel interest in this matter and has vouched for him. Turns out he has been right.

February 18th, 2010, 5:42 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Eagles QB Vick unlikely to be traded before preseason
Jason La Canfora By Jason La Canfora | NFL.com

The Philadelphia Eagles haven't initiated any talks to trade quarterback Michael Vick, and they might not this spring, but that doesn't preclude them from doing so at some point.

The Eagles have until the first week of the league year -- which begins March 5 -- to deal Vick before having to pay him a $1.5 million roster bonus. A deal before then might be unlikely because the Eagles haven't called other teams about Vick, according to league sources.

Sources from two teams who would be in the market for a quarterback said they don't expect Vick to be dealt until the preseason. That's when his value could be enhanced by strong preseason performances, a full offseason of work with his team and injuries/uncertainty at quarterback on other teams.

Spending $1.5 million to retain Vick's services isn't a significant impediment for a team like the Eagles, and while doing so also guarantees $1 million of the quarterback's 2010 salary, that isn't a major financial hindrance, either.

League sources maintain that the Eagles aren't averse to dealing Vick for value -- with fellow quarterbacks Donovan McNabb and Kevin Kolb under contract for 2010 -- but they wouldn't be inclined to settle for a late-round draft pick. That might be all they could obtain for Vick now, given how sparingly he played in 2009.

Ultimately, that market could change and Vick's value could expand.

"I don't think there is enough value in a trade to make the move now," said an executive with a team that needs help at quarterback. "They don't have to trade him before the roster bonus is due, and I'd be very surprised if they traded him in March. I expect them to hold on to him until he has more peak value, and that could be in August or September."

The Eagles are very high on Kolb as a potential starter, and he could end up replacing McNabb in 2011. League sources maintain they would be shocked if McNabb was dealt this season, and the Eagles are hopeful they are on the cusp of a championship, with the veteran giving them the best chance of winning in 2010.

February 18th, 2010, 5:57 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

To be honest, I never thought much of Vick before this whole thing. He never was much of a qb despite a few pro bowl appearances (undeserved imo) and a ton of hype. It was rare to see him throw more than 20 or so td's in a season. I believe one year he made the pro bowl, he only had 14 passing touchdowns or so. How does a qb deserve a pro bowl bid with td numbers like that? Easy. He doesn't.

Sure, mobility is nice in a qb but I want one that completes a lot of passes, is passtionate, can throw 25 plus td's a year consistently, is a leader, and wins games.

February 19th, 2010, 12:48 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Rams GM Devaney says he would consider trading No. 1 pick
NFL.com

St. Louis Rams general manager Billy Devaney said during a Tuesday morning appearance on SIRIUS NFL Radio that he's open to trading the No. 1 overall pick in the NFL draft.

Devaney, who took the Rams' GM job before the 2009 season, realizes the team has a long way to go after finishing 1-15. And if trading draft picks helps, then he's willing to do it.

"We're still in the process of putting this thing together," Devaney said. "We're looking for picks. We really need to continue to restore this roster. We started that process two years ago, and we still have a ways to go yet. We're not kidding anybody. So sure, we would be open to acquiring more picks."

On Monday, Devaney denied Internet reports that the team was discussing a trade to send the No. 1 pick to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in exchange for first- and third-round selections and quarterback Josh Johnson.

Devaney said Tuesday that the team's scouts are pretty much done with evaluations after visiting schools, and coaches are in the process of watching tapes of prospects. This week, they will find out about the medical and mental attributes of players at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis.

The top two prospects in the NFL draft are Nebraska defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh and Oklahoma defensive tackle Gerald McCoy. Devaney said he's encouraged that the potential No. 1 and No. 2 picks will attend the combine, although he did admit it will be hard to separate the two.

The Rams also must address their quarterback situation. Devaney, while appearing on NFL Network's NFL Total Access with Paul Burmeister later Tuesday, said every possibility is on the table.

"There are a number of different scenarios that we've talked through," Devaney said. "We will shed some light on it as we come back from Indianapolis this week. We'll have a better idea on a couple of guys that we are interested in there. Free agency is right around the corner, and that is an option. There are a couple of different scenarios. Anything is possible."

Of course, they want to trade out of it, but will they be able to?

February 24th, 2010, 11:48 am

I can see it working out pretty well for the Lions. St. Louis would most likely swap with TB so they can be ahead of Washington and grab the QB of their choice. If that were the case TB would take Suh (1) or McCoy (1a), leaving the Lions in a position to stay and take DT 1 or 1a or they could try to trade with Washington if they're hot for one QB over the other.

This could actually work out very nicely for the Lions if St. Louis was to trade down. Sure they might miss out on Suh or McCoy, whoever TB would take, but they could get the other at 4 for a little bit cheaper then at 2. If St. Louis gets overtaken by Washington and takes DT 1a, then the Lions could take Berry, Okung, or even maybe Hayden, but he might be a stretch.

In the uncapped situation this would probably be the year the #1 pick could be traded a little easier then in years previous.

February 24th, 2010, 2:59 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

In the uncapped situation this would probably be the year the #1 pick could be traded a little easier then in years previous.

You've got this backwards. Because of the Uncapped year, and the fact that a rookie wage scale will be implemented in a new CBA, this will be an ever harder #1 pick to trade. This is going to be the last rookie in a long long long time to get 70million, and nobody wants to be the team that drafts the last 70m dollar bust.

February 24th, 2010, 3:46 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

If Bradford shows he's healthy I don't know how the Rams don't draft him #1.

February 25th, 2010, 5:26 pm
1st Round Pick

Schefter: "There's no way" the Rams won't pick Sam Bradford at No. 1
Posted by Mike Florio on February 25, 2010 7:53 PM ET
In a Wednesday spot with ESPN Radio in St. Louis, Adam Schefter offered up a surprisingly firm prediction regarding the identity of the first pick in the 2010 draft.

Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford.

Said Schefter: "I would like to record something here, on February 24th. Two months from the draft. And tell you who the number one pick is gonna be right now. On the basis of what I've talked to people around the league [about], everything I've heard. And at some point it's gonna shift to this guy, and I don't know whether it'll be now or late March. It'll probably be after his Pro Day, when he goes through his Pro Day and goes through his workout. Then all of a sudden -- it'll be about a month from now -- we'll start hearing, 'Wow. Would and could the Rams take with the number one overall pick Sam Bradford?'

"And I believe ultimately, when all is said and done, that the Rams' number one pick on April 22nd, two months from now, will be Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford. I'm willing to take all bets on that one right now."

Schefter later said he hasn't spoken to the Rams about it, but that based on everything else he's heard he believes "there's no way" the Rams won't take Sam Bradford.

Schefter also threw a politely-crafted dagger at ESPN draftniks Mel Kiper and Todd McShay, without accusing them of wearing sausage casing and/or being a Holden Caufield fantasy. "I notice that Sam Bradford is not in their top five," Schefter said of Kiper and McShay. "I can promise you that's wrong. I can promise you that's wrong."

Schefter ties his prediction to Bradford showing up at his Pro Day and looking healthy. Though some thought his shoulder injury might scare off teams at the top of the draft, we think that Drew Brees' Super Bowl win four years after his shoulder supposedly was wrecked likely will make a team more inclined to take a risk.

We're not sure it means he'll be the first pick.

Still, mark it down. Schefter says Bradford will be the guy. It vaguely reminds us of the time that another ESPN analyst said that the Texans will take Reggie Bush with the first overall pick "no matter what anyone says."

February 25th, 2010, 9:42 pm
Hall of Fame Player

NFL.com wrote:
Rams GM Devaney says he would consider trading No. 1 pick
NFL.com

St. Louis Rams general manager Billy Devaney said during a Tuesday morning appearance on SIRIUS NFL Radio that he's open to trading the No. 1 overall pick in the NFL draft.

Devaney, who took the Rams' GM job before the 2009 season, realizes the team has a long way to go after finishing 1-15. And if trading draft picks helps, then he's willing to do it.

"We're still in the process of putting this thing together," Devaney said. "We're looking for picks. We really need to continue to restore this roster. We started that process two years ago, and we still have a ways to go yet. We're not kidding anybody. So sure, we would be open to acquiring more picks."

On Monday, Devaney denied Internet reports that the team was discussing a trade to send the No. 1 pick to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in exchange for first- and third-round selections and quarterback Josh Johnson.

Devaney said Tuesday that the team's scouts are pretty much done with evaluations after visiting schools, and coaches are in the process of watching tapes of prospects. This week, they will find out about the medical and mental attributes of players at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis.

The top two prospects in the NFL draft are Nebraska defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh and Oklahoma defensive tackle Gerald McCoy. Devaney said he's encouraged that the potential No. 1 and No. 2 picks will attend the combine, although he did admit it will be hard to separate the two.

The Rams also must address their quarterback situation. Devaney, while appearing on NFL Network's NFL Total Access with Paul Burmeister later Tuesday, said every possibility is on the table.

"There are a number of different scenarios that we've talked through," Devaney said. "We will shed some light on it as we come back from Indianapolis this week. We'll have a better idea on a couple of guys that we are interested in there. Free agency is right around the corner, and that is an option. There are a couple of different scenarios. Anything is possible."

Of course, they want to trade out of it, but will they be able to?

Sure they want to trade out of the #1 overall spot. Just like everyone else in the last decade. How many times did it happen. I don't remember it happening even 1 time.

Wish in 1 hand and crap in the other St. Louis. See which one fills up faster. It's time they shut up and draft their QB just like nearly every one else that has to take the 1st pick. The next Tom Brady ( Clauson) is waiting for them to quit deluding themselves.

February 26th, 2010, 3:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next