View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 20th, 2014, 12:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Cornerbacks 
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Boise State cornerback makes right impression on Lions at Senior Bowl
By NICHOLAS J. COTSONIKA
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

MOBILE, Ala. -- Boise State cornerback Kyle Wilson couldn't receive a bigger compliment than this through three practices at the Senior Bowl: "That's the guy that's been a pain in my rectum so far."

That quote came from Lions receivers coach Shawn Jefferson. The Lions' coaches are leading the North in preparation for Saturday's game. Jefferson challenged Wilson with a little trash talk when the coaches and prospects first met Sunday, only to watch Wilson blanket his receivers over the next three days.

"I introduced myself, and he said, 'We're going to be cooking you up,' " Wilson said, smiling. "I've been wanting to get at him since we got here. I've got a lot of respect for him. I definitely think I earned it out there. I try my hardest out there to really compete and try to make it hard for the offense and the receivers."

One of the Lions' main needs is at cornerback. Defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham likes to bring pressure, but when the Lions blitzed in 2009, they couldn't cover behind it and got burned far too often.

Wilson has been the North's best cover corner this week, perhaps the Senior Bowl's best, period. He is listed at 5-feet-10, 190 pounds, and projected to be drafted in the first three rounds.

"He's got the speed to stay with the receivers, and he's got the lateral movement in his hips and the good change of direction to stay with the receivers," Jefferson said. "And he has toughness. The thing I like about him the most, he does not mind getting up and getting in a receiver's face and challenging him. I like that about him. I love it."

Wilson takes pride in one-on-one matchups.

"You versus me, and it's going to be me," Wilson said. "Competition is not a problem. I just love competing out there. I love to win, and I just love competing and battling. And I think this stage here with the best of the best here really helped out."

Wilson has really helped himself this week. Prior to this, I saw him as a late 2nd to mid 3rd kinda guy, but he may get consideration in the late 1st now. I also wouldn't be surprised to see the Lions take him at #34 if available.

January 28th, 2010, 12:13 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Been a big fan of McCourty and Wilson all season. They both have that swagger that the top CBs have along with the skills to back it up. I was really disappointed when McCourty got poked in the eye at the start of their bowl game. I've seen him and Rutgers quite a bit out here on the East Coast but a lot of people haven't had a chance to watch him play. That would of been a huge opportunity for him to get some exposure.

January 28th, 2010, 7:52 pm
Div 1 - Starter

Kyle Wilson really reminds me of Delmas. If he's in the area, he's making his presence felt. Plus, he seems to have the short-memory arrogance that is almost a prerequisite for a good DB. Shoot, a guy has to be pretty arrogant (like Delmas) to believe he can transcend the perpetual putridity of the Lions' defense.

I think if we invest a second rounder in a CB, he better be a viable option in KR/PR, too. Many of the CBs listed above are awesome KR/PR. I wanted Ginyard as a slot/KR/PR prior to Senior bowl week, but now I am thinking Wilson, Arenas, cox or McCourty.

My favorite day ever as a Lions fan.

Somehow landing the Ndamo-nator would be the second best day ever.

February 1st, 2010, 2:00 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

I agree that CB might have to be the second pick for the Lions and if they add return ability then its a double win! I heard lots of good things about Cox and Wilson at the Senior Bowl and Arenas flashed in the return game. I'd be cool with these guys. I also think the comparison with Delmas is spot on. Having a guy out there as a leader would be great, but is there room for another vocal guy on the field? If Larry Foote comes back and plays MLB and with Delmas jawing, it might be too much, especially if they're not on the same page (which seemed to be a lot of the time last year).

February 1st, 2010, 5:13 pm
If we take a CB in the 2nd round he will likely be our best corner. Do we really want that guy returning kicks?

February 1st, 2010, 5:15 pm
RIP Killer

If we take a CB in the 2nd round he will likely be our best corner. Do we really want that guy returning kicks?

Hell, if we take a CB in the 7th round he will likely be our best corner and we wouldn't want him returning kicks.

February 1st, 2010, 5:26 pm
Profile WWW

I was thinking of something this weekend that I ought to post here. Hopefully, the Lions can draft a CB in the 2nd or 3rd round who can step in and start right away. Buchanon will most likely be the other starter, but he's on the last year of his contract. Then, if the Lions stink again, they can take Patrick Peterson of LSU in the 2011 draft. He was arguably the best CB in college this past year as a Sophmore. If that happens, the Lions' secondary could go from a weakness to a strength. Just a thought.

February 1st, 2010, 5:40 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I was thinking of something this weekend that I ought to post here. Hopefully, the Lions can draft a CB in the 2nd or 3rd round who can step in and start right away. Buchanon will most likely be the other starter, but he's on the last year of his contract. Then, if the Lions stink again, they can take Patrick Peterson of LSU in the 2011 draft. He was arguably the best CB in college this past year as a Sophmore. If that happens, the Lions' secondary could go from a weakness to a strength. Just a thought.
You read my mind.

February 1st, 2010, 7:28 pm
Heisman Winner

I read on a draft site that Patrick Robinson was "...made for press coverage." Since that seems to be what the Lions are looking for (nice that they seem to know that nowadays) would you take him in rd 2 if he's there?

March 9th, 2010, 8:48 pm
RIP Killer

I read on a draft site that Patrick Robinson was "...made for press coverage." Since that seems to be what the Lions are looking for (nice that they seem to know that nowadays) would you take him in rd 2 if he's there?

No, probably not. Robinson isn't really as physical a corner as I'd like to see. Wilson and McCourty seem to be more physical. I'm sure at least one of them will be there at 34. If not, some other player of value has probably fallen that we will either want, or some other team will be willing to trade up for.

March 9th, 2010, 10:13 pm
Div 1 - Starter

jrd66 wrote:

No, probably not. Robinson isn't really as physical a corner as I'd like to see. Wilson and McCourty seem to be more physical. I'm sure at least one of them will be there at 34. If not, some other player of value has probably fallen that we will either want, or some other team will be willing to trade up for.

I'd rather have Wilson, but I have to disagree with M2k here, because Patrick Robinson still looks like the best CB on our team if we draft him at #34. Of course, it is always dependent on who else is on the board, and according to most mocks, there should be some valuable players left who had 1st round grades.

My favorite day ever as a Lions fan.

Somehow landing the Ndamo-nator would be the second best day ever.

March 10th, 2010, 12:12 am
RIP Killer

m2karateman wrote:
jrd66 wrote:

I'd rather have Wilson, but I have to disagree with M2k here, because Patrick Robinson still looks like the best CB on our team if we draft him at #34. Of course, it is always dependent on who else is on the board, and according to most mocks, there should be some valuable players left who had 1st round grades.

He'd still be the best corner on our team if we trade down to the #38-40 spot and take him, and pick up an extra fourth rounder or so in the process. That's provided that Wilson and McCourty are already gone. Robinson jams well at the line, so he's more physical in that respect than anyone we've had. But he's not too physical when it comes to tackling. Still, he'd be a great pickup at 38-40.

March 10th, 2010, 8:56 am
Varsity Benchwarmer

I go to FSU and watched every game this season. He's a good corner and a gifted athlete but he struggled (like the rest of the defense) with consistency. He has an aggressive style of play and as a result they were times when he would completely whiff on a tackle or bite on play action. I wouldnt take him at the top of the 2nd i think there will be better players available. If we're going to take a player from FSU i think it should be Myron Rolle.

March 11th, 2010, 1:32 am

Thanks for chiming in, yvesill. I only saw about 4-5 FSU games this year and you've obviously seen more of Robinson than I have. My problem with him is that I saw him get burned in every game that I watched. It's clear that he has talent because he does make plays, but then he'll look completely lost at other times. Like you said, he'll bite on play action (or a double move) and the next thing you know, the WR is 10 yards behind him. I don't know if it's a mental thing, instincts, or something else, but he has to get it fixed. Robinson is one of those guys I consider a high risk/high reward type. If he finally "gets it", he could become a stud. If not, then he'll just be another guy.

March 11th, 2010, 10:26 am
QB Coach

Kyle Wilson solidifies stock with pro day
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 26, 2010 5:21 PM ET
K. Wilson.jpgWe haven't heard a lot from Boise St. cornerback Kyle Wilson since his cover skills and his RV took the Senior Bowl by storm back in January.

Wilson did not run at the Scouting Combine, but he's been called the second best cornerback on many draft rankings. Some teams may prefer him over Florida's Joe Haden.

On Friday, Wilson affixed the corner piece to his draft puzzle. He ran a 4.4 7and 4.43 in the forty, according to NFL's Gil Brandt. His other numbers were also excellent, including a 38-inch vertical jump and 10-foot, 2-inch broad jump.

We'd be very surprised at this point if Wilson made it out of the first round.

We need to trade back into the first and grab him.

March 26th, 2010, 6:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next