View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 4:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Cornerbacks 
Cheerleader

I really hope we can land Wilson in the 2nd, he's a beast and will be a great CB. I wonder if Schwartz is high on him after coaching him, and is pushing to do whatever to get him? I'm hesitant to trade up this year though, lot of value in 2-4th round picks. But I see Vikings taking a corner this year, so we'd have to move ahead of them at the least. and I hope there isn't a run of CBs picked toward the mid/late 1st round, leaving us with nothing. I feel it is a must to draft one of the top 4 corners this year.

March 27th, 2010, 9:47 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

ILF, I've been kinda thinking the same thing lately about moving up into the late 1st round to get Wilson (or McCourty). But, the only way I would do it is if they were able to trade back from #2 and acquire more picks. If the trade with the Browns happen, they could easily give up #34 and #66 (or a slightly lower 3rd rounder) to move up into the mid 20's. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see something like that happen.

March 27th, 2010, 11:12 am
Team MVP

I, myself, would have no problem trading up into the first round to get Wilson. That is only if we traded with Cleveland for their 3rd rounders, that way we could give one of those up. This may sound crazy, but if we move to #7, what about taking Haden there, then moving up and taking Wilson. That would about completely solve our CB holes.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 27th, 2010, 11:58 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Would anyone take chris Cook in the 3rd? I fear McCourty, Robinson and Wilson will all be gone by the 2nd.

March 27th, 2010, 12:15 pm
RIP Killer

Would anyone take chris Cook in the 3rd? I fear McCourty, Robinson and Wilson will all be gone by the 2nd.

Cook is likely to be used as a free safety in the NFL because he's got stiff hips and doesn't break to the ball well. Secondly, he didn't have a very good pro day, and some scouts felt he was pretty out of shape. That's not a good sign. Some analysts were projecting him to go in the bottom of round two, but based on his pro day they are now saying late round three or later.

March 27th, 2010, 12:20 pm
Heisman Winner

I think you've hit the nail on the head here. CBs with starting talent tend to be swept up in round 1. Usually on one of those 'runs' the announcers talk about. 4 CBs in 32 picks(?) is not too hard to imagine.

March 27th, 2010, 12:26 pm
RIP Killer

Killwill25 wrote:

I think you've hit the nail on the head here. CBs with starting talent tend to be swept up in round 1. Usually on one of those 'runs' the announcers talk about. 4 CBs in 32 picks(?) is not too hard to imagine.

I think there will be three in the first 32...Haden, Wilson and McCourty. At the 34th pick the best option for the Lions is Patrick Robinson (who I meant to put at that pick in my 3 round mock, but put Kareem Jackson instead.....I don't know why).

I think the Lions should review their options at 34 of who is left on the board, and if no one of value is there, then trade down. I'm sure some teams will be interested in moving up in round two to land a player who has "fallen". Of particular interest will be teams looking to get a top notch receiver. Demaryius Thomas, Damian Williams and Arrelious Benn are likely to be there. Possibly Jermaine Gresham or Golden Tate as well.

If the Lions do move down, players of interest would be Vlad Ducasse, Corey Wootton, Kareem Jackson, Brandon Ghee, Jonathan Dwyer (possibly), Ricky Sapp or Nate Allen.

A player I'm not real interested in seeing the Lions take at 34 is Jahvid Best (not durable enough). But if Pouncey, Matthews, Griffen, McCourty and Robinson have all been taken, then I'd like to see the Lions consider Jerry Hughes. He's short for a DE, but the guy is a relentless animal on the field. I am not saying I would want them to take him if he's there, but if no trade offers of worth are on the table, I'd take him.

March 27th, 2010, 12:38 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Personally, I don't think Brandon Ghee is a reach at #34. I like him better than Robinson, so I think Ghee has value at #34.

March 27th, 2010, 2:04 pm
QB Coach

At the bottom half of round one here are the teams I think could land Wilson (or any of the other corners)

20. Houston (Lost Robinson to FA)

22. New England (less a possibility now that Bodden re-signed)

23. Green Bay (aging secondary, injuries to a few players)

24. Philly (Samuel over paid to underproduce, Brown old and wants bigger contract)

25. Baltimore (need a playmaker at corner)

26. Arizona

28. San Diego (traded away Cromartie)

30. Minny (injury to Griffin)

That's a lot of competition for corners. If Wilson falls to #24 I think we can make a trade with Philly. They seem to like to trade down out of round 1. I'd give our second and fourth rounders to make that move. If we trade down to #7 with Cleveland (a move I don't particularly like) we could have even more ammo for the trade as Sly mentioned.

March 27th, 2010, 2:10 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I think youd find the pats (as always) happy to trade down at 22, depending on how highly rated Wilson ends up being by April 22nd. If hes saying to be preferred by some teams over Haden, you honestly may end up with projections for hima s high as 14-20, and in that case, trading to 22 or 24 if he "drops" is good value and fills the biggest hole on the entire team.

I like the idea (as all have said) much better if we trade down from #2. If we could trade from #2 to 7, and from 7 to 14-22, Id even see considering him there, if he continues to rise on the avergae charts.

Theres just something about this kid that says hes going tob e a step above Ghee,Robinson,McCourty.. and I personally think hell end up being better than Haden.

That said, McCourty is my 2nd fav, and as long as we get a CB out of the 1st 50 picks, that is going to be a day 1 starter.. i will be happy.

March 27th, 2010, 6:03 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

[quote="inheritedlionsfan"]At the bottom half of round one here are the teams I think could land Wilson (or any of the other corners)

20. Houston (Lost Robinson to FA)

22. New England (less a possibility now that Bodden re-signed)

23. Green Bay (aging secondary, injuries to a few players)

24. Philly (Samuel over paid to underproduce, Brown old and wants bigger contract)

25. Baltimore (need a playmaker at corner)

26. Arizona

28. San Diego (traded away Cromartie)

30. Minny (injury to Griffin)

That's a lot of competition for corners. If Wilson falls to #24 I think we can make a trade with Philly. They seem to like to trade down out of round 1. I'd give our second and fourth rounders to make that move. If we trade down to #7 with Cleveland (a move I don't particularly like) we could have even more ammo for the trade as Sly mentioned.[/quote

Might as well add Indy to that list, they recently lost Marlin Jackson in free agency.

March 27th, 2010, 6:55 pm
RIP Killer

Personally, I don't think Brandon Ghee is a reach at #34. I like him better than Robinson, so I think Ghee has value at #34.

Ghee has some character issues. I don't know the in depth details, but they are definitely a red flag for him, moreso than what Cox has going on for him.

March 27th, 2010, 8:31 pm
Heisman Winner

One thing that gives me a little hope, and I may have said this already, is that seemingly the Lions scouts are getting good information about what the coaches are actually looking for. Maybe it's not that, perhaps the coaches now understand the scouting reports instead. In any case, I think its important that the coaches are getting players that have the right skills to execute the schemes or techniques that they want them to play with. I think that might have something to do with the relative success of the 2009 picks. Levy and Hill in particular seemed to 'fit' into the roles they were given, and were able to actually play. In the past, this wasn't the case. Some of that is obviously the player, and part I think is a continuity issue with the coaches teaching the defense right and the players having ability to execute the tasks they were assigned. I think Schwartz knows what he's looking at, what he wants, and how he wants it done. If he and Mayhew can target the right kind of players, they can continue to pick up guys who can help deep into the draft. We will see if my assumption is true going forward, but I think that has been lacking since maybe the days of Wayne Fontes.

March 27th, 2010, 10:16 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

One thing that gives me a little hope, and I may have said this already, is that seemingly the Lions scouts are getting good information about what the coaches are actually looking for. Maybe it's not that, perhaps the coaches now understand the scouting reports instead. In any case, I think its important that the coaches are getting players that have the right skills to execute the schemes or techniques that they want them to play with. I think that might have something to do with the relative success of the 2009 picks. Levy and Hill in particular seemed to 'fit' into the roles they were given, and were able to actually play. In the past, this wasn't the case. Some of that is obviously the player, and part I think is a continuity issue with the coaches teaching the defense right and the players having ability to execute the tasks they were assigned. I think Schwartz knows what he's looking at, what he wants, and how he wants it done. If he and Mayhew can target the right kind of players, they can continue to pick up guys who can help deep into the draft. We will see if my assumption is true going forward, but I think that has been lacking since maybe the days of Wayne Fontes.

Absolutely agree with you. I feel very confident that these guys know what they are looking for in the draft. That the players they select fit the scheme, if you will. In regards to this thread about CB's, how many of the corners with high 2nd round grades (if any are still there) actually fit what we do? Kareem Jackson might, but is he worth the pick at 34? Devin McCourty? I think he will be gone, and don't know that he is a fit for us anyways. Same for Kyle Wilson. I don't see him making it out of the 1st, and I doubt the Lions will be trading up. Robinson and Ghee should be there, but have question marks. Physicality and ball skills respectively. If the Lions don't see the right fit and value in regards to a CB at 34, you might not see one taken till the 3rd or 4th, if at all. That's fine, and as it should be. I don't want them reaching on draft day to satisfy needs. Next years draft will have some very good corner prospects. We can't get it all in this years draft. With that being said, what follows is the current rankings on corners from NFLDRAFTSCOUT.COM. I just use this as a rough guideline, as the rankings on other boards are very similar.

OVR Pos. Rank Player Pos. School Ht. Wt. Proj. Rd. Stock 40 Time Bench Reps Vert. Jump Twenty Yard Ten Yard Broad Jump Shuttle Cone
9 1 Joe Haden CB Florida 5-11 193 1 same 4.52 18 35 2.56 1.53 10'05" 4.34 6.94
19 2 Earl Thomas CB Texas 5-10 208 1 same 4.43 21 -- 2.50 1.56 09'05" -- --
26 3 Kyle Wilson CB Boise State 5-10 194 1-2 same 4.42 25 -- -- -- -- -- --
30 4 Devin McCourty CB Rutgers 5-11 193 1-2 same 4.38 16 36 2.50 1.53 10'06" 4.07 6.70
33 5 Kareem Jackson CB Alabama 5-11 196 1-2 up 4.40 13 37 1/2 2.52 1.53 09'10" 4.14 6.92
42 6 Patrick Robinson CB Florida State 5-11 190 2 same 4.46 15 39 2.53 1.50 10'02" -- 6.78
46 7 Chris Cook CB Virginia 6-2 212 2 same 4.45 07 38 2.52 1.49 11'00" 4.23 6.88
50 8 Dominique Franks CB Oklahoma 5-11 194 2 same 4.46 10 33 1/2 2.57 1.58 09'09" 4.33 7.32
71 9 Brandon Ghee CB Wake Forest 6-0 192 2-3 same 4.37 15 37 2.47 1.52 10'07" 4.07 6.75
81 10 Akwasi Owusu-Ansah CB Indiana (PA) 6-0 207 2-3 same 4.32 -- 35 1/2 2.51 1.53 10'00" 4.32 6.84
86 11 Jerome Murphy CB South Florida 6-0 196 3 same 4.50 16 38 2.57 1.60 10'07" 4.05 6.8

March 28th, 2010, 9:15 am
QB Coach

Eagles traded Sheldon Brown. I think it's more likely they target a CB in round one now.

April 2nd, 2010, 4:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next