View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 29th, 2014, 4:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Tebow will "just be himself" at Senior Bowl 
RIP Killer

Why would they? Because of you can get the sort of production out of him as he did in college you are in great shape. He has every intangible you can think of, he was just stunted from the pro game being in a strictly college style offense. Why belittle his abilities by focusing on an easy fix like taking a snap from center? The kid can come in, run some gimmick plays for a few years as he learns the pro game, and then take over as a pretty good QB if done right. Did it with Rogers, worked great for Green Bay. Not a drop in QB production to speak of. It's a no brainer great opportunity for the right team. If anyone wants him to play ASAP then they are looking for failure.

The point is the Jaguars aren't likely to get that level of production out of Tebow, ever. There are plenty of cases of players being great college QBs, but don't really do well in the pros. Tebow has terrible NFL QB mechanics, and despite getting some pro level coaching at the Senior Bowl, once in the game he reverted to what he was allowed to do at Florida and get away with.

Jacksonville probably will take Tebow, because they've already dug that hole. Wayne Weaver was an idiot for saying that they would. I think they don't take him until round two, after trading up to get a pick somewhere in the 8-12 range of that round. I don't see any other team taking a flyer on him. There's years of development time ahead, and no other teams are going to be that patient with him.

Tebow holds the ball too low, has a long, slow delivery that NFL DBs will jump all over, he has poor footwork, and has no experience working from under center. That's a ton of work to try and fix....and in many cases it just doesn't take.

I have to imagine that Urban Meyer tried like Hell to correct some of those things. At some point, he just let it go because it was working in the college ranks. It won't in the pros.

February 5th, 2010, 3:11 pm
Pro Bowl Player

I know Kiper's a douche but he said pretty much the same thing regarding LeFevour that I did about Tebow (fyi he was talking about the second round):

Quote:
"Bottom line: If you don't think he can be a starting NFL quarterback, don't draft him anywhere. It's too easy to find backups. You need to feel that LeFevour can start at some point before you take him that high, period."

From The Detroit News: http://www.detnews.com/article/20100205 ... z0eh0Nmp6O

February 5th, 2010, 3:50 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I think Jacksonville would be a terrible place for him to go to. I did qualify that there has to be the right situation.

February 5th, 2010, 3:57 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Blueskies wrote:
Theismann is just being honest.

And that's what makes his commentary so sad.

Most guys will tell you that they play the game for the love of the game, not the love of the fame. Perhaps, just perhaps, Tebow is the former and Rockstar Joe played for the latter.

I actually like Theisman as a player, but his ego and attitude are ridiculous at times. I think he's an ashole.

There's nothing wrong with going out on top. There's no shame in doing it for the glory. Why do you think Berry retired so early?

If Tebow quits now, he'll be remembered as one of the greatest, if not the greatest, college QBs of all time. If he enters the pros, and actually gets a chance to start, he'll be remembered as some over-preachy evangelical bust.

Anyway, Tebow isn't going in the second round. Or the third. Maybe not even the fourth. This reminds me of the draft with Troy Smith. Everyone was hyping him up, but where did he go? 6th round.

Tebow will go to JAX somewhere around rounds 4-6.

February 5th, 2010, 5:01 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

There's nothing wrong with going out on top. There's no shame in doing it for the glory. Why do you think Barry retired so early?

Barry retired early because he wasnt enjoying the game anymore, not to "go out on top". He also didnt see himself on another team, and didnt see this team going deep into the playoffs. Tebow still loves the game and wants to play for all the right reasons. People should let him at least try his cornflakes before they take a dump in them.

Blueskies wrote:
If Tebow quits now, he'll be remembered as one of the greatest, if not the greatest, college QBs of all time. If he enters the pros, and actually gets a chance to start, he'll be remembered as some over-preachy evangelical bust.

If Tebow quits now all the words and qualities he has exuded as a leader will be proven bullshit as he drops his passion and dream to be a "Sell Out" Rockstar. To not try to be the best at what he wants would be the only way he can Fail as a human, even if he is likely to fail as a Pro QB.

Blueskies wrote:
Anyway, Tebow isn't going in the second round. Or the third. Maybe not even the fourth. This reminds me of the draft with Troy Smith. Everyone was hyping him up, but where did he go? 6th round.

Tebow will go to JAX somewhere around rounds 4-6.

Fully Agree. Maybe 3rd, but with all the negative press I doubt any other team picks him before Jax 3rd rounder, and could easily see him failling to 4th or 5th based on Combine, measurables, and him being under a microscope for another 3 months.

February 5th, 2010, 5:26 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
RIP Killer

I think it would be DUMB for Tebow to quit now if he still has the passion and desire to play. So he may go in and strike out, wouldn't be the first time. Him quitting because some people think he can't do it is just ridiculous.

February 5th, 2010, 5:29 pm

I think it would be DUMB for Tebow to quit now if he still has the passion and desire to play. So he may go in and strike out, wouldn't be the first time. Him quitting because some people think he can't do it is just ridiculous.

It would be downright anti-teboweqsue.

February 5th, 2010, 6:13 pm
Profile ICQ WWW

If Barry had stayed on the Lions, played another 3-5 years, while his skills slowly diminished due to age and the team around him never improved, do you think he'd still be remembered as one of the greatest all time? I don't.

What if Mike Tyson had retired in the late 80s? I'm sure perceptions about him would be much different.

I know Tebow isn't going to quit. He's a man, he can make his own decisions. But we've all seen this movie and we know how it ends.

February 5th, 2010, 6:21 pm
RIP Killer

If all that matters in ones life is quitting while SEEMINGLY at your peak we would have a pretty sad society with a lot of quitters.

February 5th, 2010, 6:27 pm

If Barry had stayed on the Lions, played another 3-5 years, while his skills slowly diminished due to age and the team around him never improved, do you think he'd still be remembered as one of the greatest all time? I don't.

You be Wrong. It would not change 1 damn thing other than people wouldnt say "Man it sucks Barry quit when it seemed like he still had it. he could of had the Top yeards of all time". It didnt make him more popular to leave early. if anything, it hurt his fame a little/caused resentment.

Now Farve on the other hand, Quitting and Unquitting when he is past his prime.. while making a huge deal out of it "CAMERS ON ME PEOPLE" every time, that hurt his "Fame", but I cant hate him for still loveing the game enough to want to keep playing.

February 5th, 2010, 7:12 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
RIP Killer

Blueskies wrote:

You be Wrong. It would not change 1 damn thing other than people wouldnt say "Man it sucks Barry quit when it seemed like he still had it. he could of had the Top yeards of all time". It didnt make him more popular to leave early. if anything, it hurt his fame a little/caused resentment.

Now Farve on the other hand, Quitting and Unquitting when he is past his prime.. while making a huge deal out of it "CAMERS ON ME PEOPLE" every time, that hurt his "Fame", but I cant hate him for still loveing the game enough to want to keep playing.

Emmitt Smith didn't retire until his skills diminished. That didn't change anyone's opinion of his career. How about all the QBs who were so great for many years, then continued playing even after they weren't so great. Joe Montana? Joe Namath? Ring any bells?

Blueskies you couldn't be more wrong if you tried. IF Barry had continued, he would have set a ton of records that would still stand today. If anything, his early retirement tarnished his image.....particularly here in Detroit.

DJ-B hit the nail on the head. Blueskies, you missed the nail and hit yourself in the nuts on this one.

February 6th, 2010, 10:32 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

DJ-B hit the nail on the head. Blueskies, you missed the nail and hit yourself in the nuts on this one

Ok now THATS funny!

February 6th, 2010, 10:53 am
Pro Bowl Player

I don't know, I'd rather have "Best College QB Ever" than "Epic Draft Fail" as the last thing on my resume.

February 6th, 2010, 11:24 am
Profile WWW
Heisman Winner

I don't know, I'd rather have "Best College QB Ever" than "Epic Draft Fail" as the last thing on my resume.

He won't be drafted high enough to be an epic draft fail. He'll be a stab in the dark at round 5 or later. The earlier rounds are just too important to figure:

A. if he can play &
B. what position can he play if any at this level

February 6th, 2010, 3:46 pm

DJ-B wrote:
Blueskies wrote:

Emmitt Smith didn't retire until his skills diminished. That didn't change anyone's opinion of his career. How about all the QBs who were so great for many years, then continued playing even after they weren't so great. Joe Montana? Joe Namath? Ring any bells?

Blueskies you couldn't be more wrong if you tried. IF Barry had continued, he would have set a ton of records that would still stand today. If anything, his early retirement tarnished his image.....particularly here in Detroit.

DJ-B hit the nail on the head. Blueskies, you missed the nail and hit yourself in the nuts on this one.

When you think of Mike Tyson, do you remember:

1) The youngest heavyweight champion of all time, the most powerful boxer in the world, and the most dominant boxer of the 1980's?

OR

2) A bankrupt, has-been, ear biter?

What about Ladainian Tomlinson? Remember a few years ago? People were calling him LTD and claiming that he was one of the greatest running backs of all time. Now he's going to be released from the Chargers, sign to some other team, play a few mediocre seasons and fade into obscurity. (Reminds me of another RB...Shaun Alexander)

Now, some stars have so much sticking power (Montana) that people are quick to forget their later years. But every star that pushes their career runs the risk of becoming the next Mike Tyson.

Barry handled his legacy masterfully. If he had stayed, he would've broken the records, but the Lions wouldn't have gone anywhere. His agility would've disappeared as the Lions fell apart under Millen, and today some people would probably be questioning whether he was really that good or not.

Because the Lions refused to trade him, thus destroying his chances of a SB ring, he went out as "on top" as he could. It actually makes his legacy greater by not taking the records--everyone knows that he could've, but he chose not too. Thus adding that element of intrigue.

February 6th, 2010, 7:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next