View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 17th, 2014, 9:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Tebow will "just be himself" at Senior Bowl 
Veteran General Manager

You know, So many people are saying that Tebow is going to stink at QB in the pros.

I think he is going to work hard and learn the pro game AT QB. And he is going to force feed his detractors to eat crow. Just a gut feeling plus he is a high character guy.

I think a lot of his detractors wouldn't be detractors if he wasn't vocal about his Christianity. In which case, it must just suck to be them.

February 6th, 2010, 10:23 pm
QB Coach

You know, So many people are saying that Tebow is going to stink at QB in the pros.

I think he is going to work hard and learn the pro game AT QB. And he is going to force feed his detractors to eat crow. Just a gut feeling plus he is a high character guy.

I think a lot of his detractors wouldn't be detractors if he wasn't vocal about his Christianity. In which case, it must just suck to be them.

Billy, I'm not one of his detractors, and I think you're dead wrong about his Christianity. The criticism of Tebow has never been about his Christianity. It's about his abilities. He doesn't have good throwing form, he doesn't have a particularly strong arm, hasn't shown an ability to read defenses, and when he has been under center, he's struggled badly. Those are legit criticisms. When an announcer (and ex-super bowl winning coach at that) calls you out on national tv, you've got issues. Brian Billick was badly criticizing Tebow's mechanics during their bowl game.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Tebow does fine. He seems like a hard worker and could do what he has to do to be successful. But to suggest criticism of him has anything to do with Christianity is nuts.

http://www.11points.com/Books/11_Things ... _Do_Anyway

LET'S GO DUKE!

If you don't like gay marriage, don't get one.

February 7th, 2010, 12:17 am
Div 1 - Starter

BillySims wrote:

Billy, I'm not one of his detractors, and I think you're dead wrong about his Christianity. The criticism of Tebow has never been about his Christianity. It's about his abilities. He doesn't have good throwing form, he doesn't have a particularly strong arm, hasn't shown an ability to read defenses, and when he has been under center, he's struggled badly. Those are legit criticisms. When an announcer (and ex-super bowl winning coach at that) calls you out on national tv, you've got issues. Brian Billick was badly criticizing Tebow's mechanics during their bowl game.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Tebow does fine. He seems like a hard worker and could do what he has to do to be successful. But to suggest criticism of him has anything to do with Christianity is nuts.

I agree that a lot of the criticism being tossed at him is legit due to concerns with how he'll transition to the pro game. However, I think a lot of people are piling on and loving his struggles due to the fact that he was so overblown by the media. He was so hyped during his college career that I think there is a strong anti-Tebow sentiment out simply because people got sick of hearing about him. Also I'm sure there are people who don't like him because of his outspoken Christianity but I doubt that's the main contingent.

February 7th, 2010, 1:33 pm
QB Coach

I agree that a lot of the criticism being tossed at him is legit due to concerns with how he'll transition to the pro game. However, I think a lot of people are piling on and loving his struggles due to the fact that he was so overblown by the media. He was so hyped during his college career that I think there is a strong anti-Tebow sentiment out simply because people got sick of hearing about him. Also I'm sure there are people who don't like him because of his outspoken Christianity but I doubt that's the main contingent.

That I do agree with. A lot of people hate on him because of all the slurping he got from the media. Same reason a lot of people don't like Favre. The Christianity thing could be a factor with a very small percentage, but definitely not any major amount.

http://www.11points.com/Books/11_Things ... _Do_Anyway

LET'S GO DUKE!

If you don't like gay marriage, don't get one.

February 7th, 2010, 5:39 pm
Pro Bowl Player

I think putting himself out there for criticism is a major error of judgment. I'm sure some of those QBs from Southern schools are bible thumpers, but they have the sense to keep quiet. For a guy to be so vocal about such a divisive topic before he even establishes himself as a pro-level QB seems at best egotistical and at worst downright stupid.

February 7th, 2010, 10:41 pm
Profile WWW
Div 1 - Starter

I think putting himself out there for criticism is a major error of judgment. I'm sure some of those QBs from Southern schools are bible thumpers, but they have the sense to keep quiet. For a guy to be so vocal about such a divisive topic before he even establishes himself as a pro-level QB seems at best egotistical and at worst downright stupid.

Only if you're highest value is on career and financial prospects. In that sense he may be damaging himself. However, it doesn't seem like that is where his priorities lie. I have no doubt that he wants to continue to play football but he's not putting it above all else.

February 7th, 2010, 11:32 pm
RIP Killer

Why is it stupid? He's trying to be a pro QB, not run for Congress. His beliefs should have absolutely no bearing on what his qualifications are to play in the NFL. He's not trying to win a popularity contest, after all.

February 8th, 2010, 12:06 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

lightning_in_a_bottle wrote:

Why is it stupid? He's trying to be a pro QB, not run for Congress. His beliefs should have absolutely no bearing on what his qualifications are to play in the NFL. He's not trying to win a popularity contest, after all.

Agreed. If you feel strongly about something and have a platform from which you can make your feelings known to millions of people, then you do it. Sure, it could backfire in terms of PR but if you are passionate about the issue then the PR won't matter much. I'm guessing this is what Tebow is thinking.

February 8th, 2010, 3:18 am
Pro Bowl Player

Stupid because then you get raving liberals like me routing for you to fail. :evil:

February 8th, 2010, 10:41 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Heaven forbid he talk about his faith... the world is going to come to an end.

Look, 50% of his criticism is legit and directed at his VERY long throwing motion and other things he didn't learn correctly in college. The other 40% is just pure hate for his media frenzy he DESERVED and got. The other 10%, small percent, are people who are going to be bitter at a vocal Christian athlete no matter what he does.

February 8th, 2010, 11:35 am
Color Commentator - John Madden

I think the important thing that Steensn just brought up is something that you have to consider. With that being said, Tebow will be just as much of a PR move, especially for Jacksonville, then a smart football move. He is going to get more interview requests then pretty much any rookie taken in this draft regardless of where he's taken.

Tebow has a chance, however slim, to make it as a QB, but it'll be as a backup and in a few years. He does have a very good work ethic and if a team has enough patience he MIGHT be able to stay in the league for a while.

February 8th, 2010, 12:33 pm
RIP Killer

I personally think someone will pull the trigger on him too early and expect results now, which will be a shame. I think the NFL would be better off with a Tim Tebow given time to learn the pro game and excel at it. I think he could do wonders for the NFL image and having another guy with that kinda heart playing the game would be nice.

February 8th, 2010, 12:55 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

I don't any team will want to pay him as much as they'd have to by taking him early in the draft. That's what its going to come down to; the money.

February 8th, 2010, 2:00 pm
RIP Killer

By early I figured late 1 to 2. I consider that early for a project QB. Heck, we took captain glass in the 2nd (traded up to boot I believe) and he has nothing on Tebow.

February 8th, 2010, 2:43 pm
RIP Killer

m2karateman wrote:

Stupid because then you get raving liberals like me routing for you to fail. :evil:

And how, pray tell, is some raving liberal like you rooting for him to fail going to affect his performances in the NFL?

Or do you suddenly believe that your rooting is somehow linked to the ear of a divine being whom takes what you have to whine about and make it so?

It's funny how so many NFL players can point to the sky after making a play, and that's OK, even though it's well known as a deference to God. But because Tebow expresses beliefs along similar lines, now it's a problem?

If Tebow went on national TV to support the Democratic Party, would that be an issue for you too? Because I'm here to tell you, there's a helluvalot more Christians in the United States than there are Democrats.

February 8th, 2010, 7:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next