View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 27th, 2014, 12:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Tebow will "just be himself" at Senior Bowl 
Pro Bowl Player

But instead he did it in his own free time, not at work. I talk religion and politics all the time at lunch and outside of work with coworkers. They know where I stand and no one feels alienated. Blueskies is 100% wrong because you both pick things that are agitating to the country and a hot topic that most people would disagree with. I can name a million as well, but in this case he didn't take a stance one something that far outrageous that he certainly could have. Doesn't all your guys BS mean he was SMART in picking an choosing his battles? Aren't you guys making him look smarter for picking something that is not going to effect his draft or his relationship with players?

When you're a celebrity/sports star, there is no such thing as 'free time'.

February 10th, 2010, 1:17 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Why? Because WE don't let them. Who's fault is that? Not theirs... They have free time, as someone else said, if it was in the locker room after a game or a post game interview it would be on "company" time.

February 10th, 2010, 1:50 pm
RIP Killer

Working on a "new look" and some better NFL prep.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/n ... id=4935351

February 22nd, 2010, 6:27 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

Even though he's throwing from a better arm angle, it still appears to take a long time getting out of his hand. He doesn't have a quick release. This basically shows that the kid is willing to work hard to improve himself. Everyone knew he needed to fix his mechanics so this should come as no surprise that he's retooling his throwing motion. The question now becomes whether or not he has the talent to play in the NFL with that motion. I'd be real hesitant to spend a high (1-3) draft choice on him. Sure he looks ok in this film, but when Dwight Freeney is coming around that corner I don't know if he'll have the poise in the pocket to use his new motion and not revert to the old one.

February 24th, 2010, 3:12 pm
RIP Killer

Even though he's throwing from a better arm angle, it still appears to take a long time getting out of his hand. He doesn't have a quick release. This basically shows that the kid is willing to work hard to improve himself. Everyone knew he needed to fix his mechanics so this should come as no surprise that he's retooling his throwing motion. The question now becomes whether or not he has the talent to play in the NFL with that motion. I'd be real hesitant to spend a high (1-3) draft choice on him. Sure he looks ok in this film, but when Dwight Freeney is coming around that corner I don't know if he'll have the poise in the pocket to use his new motion and not revert to the old one.

Agreed - under pressure people respond to old habits. In particular, muscle memory will revert back to his old throwing motion when the pocket is collapsing around him. When he needs a quick release most, it will probably be less likely to happen.

February 24th, 2010, 3:39 pm
Profile WWW
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

PFT wrote:
Tebow's autograph costs $160
Posted by Mike Florio on February 26, 2010 7:10 AM ET
On March 5, former Florida quarterback Tim Tebow will take a break from his Extreme Makeover: Long, Looping Throwing Motion That Isn't His College Coach's Fault Edition to use his left arm for a different purpose.

Signing autographs.

But autographin' ain't free. In this case, the fee for Tebow's John Hancock is $160, according to the Florida Times-Union.

A "large portion" of the proceeds go to the Tim Tebow Foundation, but the "large portion" isn't specified. It's also possible that an equally "large portion" will go into Tebow's pocket.

We can't say we blame him. If he can't change that catapult into a slingshot, he'll need all the non-football money he can muster.

February 26th, 2010, 9:44 am
RIP Killer

Quote:
What if Tebow had taken Pryor's path?
Meyer could learn from Tressel, who is better preparing his QB for the NFL
EmailPrintComments
retweet5
By Jemele Hill
ESPN.com
Archive | Contact
When ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Tim Tebow changed his throwing motion to become a better NFL quarterback prospect, the debate raged about whether Urban Meyer and the Florida coaching staff had done enough to make Tebow NFL ready.

Scott Boehm/Getty Images
Tim Tebow didn't have to change his approach to speed and strength. His passing, though, remains a question mark.
I believe they did. College coaches do have a responsibility to help their players transition to the NFL, the same responsibility chemistry professors have to equip students for the real world. Meyer made an earnest effort with Tebow, hiring Scot Loeffler, a pro-style quarterbacks coach who worked at Michigan and for the Detroit Lions, to help tweak Tebow's delivery heading into his senior season.

Although Tebow's throwing motion didn't undergo any drastic changes -- c'mon he was a Heisman Trophy winner, national champion and one of the most decorated players in college football history with a throwing motion that looked like a "Matrix" highlight -- there was another angle to this Tebow controversy that most people didn't consider.

What if Meyer had decided to completely alter Tebow's delivery? What if he had decided to let Tebow take more snaps under center? What if doing so had caused Florida and Tebow to struggle in games, and perhaps had led to Florida losing more games and maybe even costing the team a national championship? I'll tell you what would have happened to Florida and Tebow if Meyer had put even more emphasis into making Tebow into a better pro quarterback.

They would have walked a couple miles in Ohio State QB Terrelle Pryor's cleats.

Pryor, if you recall, was one of the most sought-after players in the nation as a high school senior in 2008, and the reason he ultimately chose Ohio State was because he felt the Buckeyes would best prepare him for the pros.

[+] Enlarge
Gregory Shamus/Getty Images
Jim Tressel has been criticized for how he uses Terrelle Pryor, but he may be setting up his quarterback to succeed for years to come.
There is nothing wrong with Pryor having twin goals: help Ohio State win, but become a better pro in the process. The transition, though, hasn't been as smooth as Ohio State fans would like.

Before Pryor's two touchdowns and career-high 266 passing yards in Ohio State's 26-17 win over Oregon in the Rose Bowl earlier this year, there were whispers -- OK, booming voices -- that suggested Pryor would have been better off going to Michigan because of Rich Rodriguez's track record with mobile quarterbacks.

No question Pryor has had some ugly games as he has tried to develop into a traditional quarterback, and it's subjected him and coach Jim Tressel to some unrelenting criticism.

You can enter Pryor's name in any search engine and within a couple clicks you'll find plenty of people whining about Pryor's lack of ability as a traditional passer. Some also have accused Tressel of not only sacrificing the greater good of Ohio State's program to turn Pryor into something they don't believe he can be, but also of not taking full advantage of Pryor's running ability.

In sports, you're dogged if you do, dogged if you don't.

"For him, his biggest challenge is going to be developing underneath the center," said Charlie Batch, a backup quarterback for the Steelers who has mentored Pryor since he was a freshman in high school. "He really took off last year. Now he's starting to get to that point; a lot of the questions people had, he should be able to answer as the year goes on. Coaches have to be able to develop you without losing their job."

[+] Enlarge
Cliff Welch/Icon SMI
Scot Loeffler was brought in as QB coach before Tim Tebow's senior year to help turn him into a more pro-style quarterback.
There is so much pressure to win in college football that it's difficult for any college football coach to commit wholly to churning out the most effective pros, particularly if it comes at the program's expense.

Meyer developed an offense and game plans that played to Tebow's strengths, instead of focusing primarily on correcting Tebow's weaknesses. Even if he hadn't done that, I'm sure Tebow would still have to prove something to someone heading into the NFL draft.

I'm willing to bet that if Pryor had gone to Michigan like some people suggested, the naysayers would be lobbing the same criticisms at him that they are lobbing at Tebow right now.

Dogged if you do, dogged if you don't.

The Pryor-Tressel situation just shows there is never a move that will appease everyone. That's why Tressel deserves a lot of credit for riding out what has, at times, been a rocky road with Pryor. While Tressel isn't known for being the most liberal offensive coach, he could have taken the easy way out and designed an offense that focused only on Pryor's running abilities. Somehow the Buckeyes have managed to strike a balance between what's best for Pryor and what's best the program.

It hasn't always made their fans happy, but if Pryor's play in the Rose Bowl is any indication, he and his coach will soon be serving sautéed crow to a lot of people

March 11th, 2010, 8:02 pm
RIP Killer

March 11th, 2010, 8:10 pm
Pro Bowl Player

So much for his much-vaunted 'intelligence': I read yesterday both he and Clausen bombed the Wonderlic. On a side note, I hope the Clausen thing doesn't discourage teams who might be looking to trade up.

March 11th, 2010, 10:50 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Benchwarmer

tim tebow bombing the wonderlic comes as no surprise to me. we're talking about a guy who scored a 890 on his SAT

March 12th, 2010, 12:40 am
Pro Bowl Player

tim tebow bombing the wonderlic comes as no surprise to me. we're talking about a guy who scored a 890 on his SAT

Yikes.

March 12th, 2010, 1:42 pm
Profile WWW
Player of the Year - Defense

He scored a 22, which makes him a genius compared to Vince Young. It translates to about a 104 on an IQ test, which is average male. 24 is the average QB score for the wonderlic, so he hardly bombed it.

March 12th, 2010, 3:49 pm
RIP Killer

I don't know what anyone's problem is on his score, he did average pretty much. No one thinks Elway is a moron, yet he scored like a 15...

March 12th, 2010, 4:17 pm
RIP Killer

And of course, let's not bring up Vince Young's wonderfully high score......that might make LIAB bitch because VY is black. So, of course, that would be the ONLY reason we'd bring up that low score. Right, racist?

March 12th, 2010, 6:26 pm
QB Coach

Tebow got a 22 and Claussen got a 23. Bradford meanwhile got a 36. Dan Marino is reported to have gotten a 13 or 15.

BTW Alex Smith and David Carr both scored really really high.

March 12th, 2010, 7:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next