View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 26th, 2014, 4:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Senior Bowl Week 
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

wow. and I thought we were overreacting about Blount.

I've been talking about Williams for months and he had a terrific season, which has now been capped off with a very good showing in Mobile. He has been flying under the radar all year and I'm only pointing out that other folks are starting to notice the guy.

And yes, I do believe that for teams that prefer bigger DTs, Williams could be a better fit than Suh or McCoy, both of whom are A bit undersized. I think Suh will probably remain the top DT on most boards but I like Williams a lot more than McCoy. And I would have said that months ago.

I don't mind if you disagree with my enthusiasm for Williams but perhaps you would offer something substantive to explain why I've overrated him? I assume that you've personally seen some holes in his game?

January 31st, 2010, 12:59 am
NFL Veteran

I'm not knocking Williams as a prospect but the notion that he could leap frog Suh and McCoy on any draft board is absurd. It's not about the fit. It's about the sheer talent.

It's like suggesting the New Jersey Nets to pass on John Wall because they already have Devin Harris. Or maybe one closer to home. Having the Pistons pass on Carmelo Anthony because they have Tayshaun Prince.

The profile on Dan is a space eating Nose Tackle. Mccoy and Suh are under tackles or 3-4 ends. There value is in their relentless pressure and especially for Suh the ability to shed blockers like a second skin to consistently make plays.

In the lions case they've got their space eater and found him in the fourth round. What they don't have is a playmaker on the d-line.

Regardless you'll have a hard time convincing me that any team would take Williams ahead of Suh or McCoy.

January 31st, 2010, 2:07 am
Profile WWW
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

mwill2, I like Dan Williams a lot too, but I've never considered him a top 10 pick. Suh and McCoy on the other hand, are pretty much universally considered as such. I can understand how some teams would prefer Williams because of his size, but that doesn't necessarily mean they think he's a better player than the other two. Just my two cents.

Here's some reports on the Senior Bowl game itself:

CBS Sports wrote:
These players make up for rough week with Senior Bowl success
Jan. 30, 2010
By Rob Rang
NFLDraftScout.com

MOBILE, Ala. -- Utah outside linebacker Koa Misi and Oregon running back LeGarrette Blount, two of the most impressive players in the week of practice leading up to Saturday's Senior Bowl, continued their strong performances in the game itself, a 31-13 North victory over the South.

Michigan's Brandon Graham claimed MVP honors. The defensive end was arguably the most unstoppable player in practice. The LaMarr Woodley/Elvis Dumervil clone is a potential Pro Bowl-caliber pass rusher. He could slip out of the first round (as both Woodley and Dumervil did) only because scouts are hesitant to invest such a high pick in a 6-1 pass rusher. His MVP performance (five tackles, two sacks, one forced fumble) hardly came as a surprise. Other players who didn't make positive impressions before the Senior Bowl were able to leave Mobile on a high note with strong showings in the game.

DT Geno Atkins, Georgia: Atkins' burst off the snap disrupted offensive linemen throughout the week of practice. Some observers projected a tough Saturday for Atkins based on his matchup with Idaho offensive guard Mike Iupati, the top-ranked guard in Mobile this week. Atkins' burst and agility was too much for Iupati. Atkins recorded a sack of Oregon State quarterback Sean Canfield in the second quarter.

WR Mardy Gilyard, Cincinnati: Gilyard was the Senior Bowl's best receiver, catching five passes for 103 yards and a score. It won't erase his erratic showing earlier in the week, when he dropped too many passes. His 32-yard touchdown reception of a beautifully thrown deep ball from Central Michigan quarterback Dan LeFevour was the best offensive play of the game. Gilyard's agility and speed made him a threat each time he touched the ball as a returner, and he posted 77 yards on two kickoff returns (53 yards) and two punt returns (24).

OLB Dekoda Watson, Florida State: The NFL loves speedy linebackers -- and Watson showed plenty of speed Saturday. He displayed better agility and instincts in coverage than he had earlier in the week. His most impressive play came early in the third quarter when the game was still tight. Playing his customary strong-side position on third-and-1, Watson fought off a block by tight end Garrett Graham (Wisconsin) and beat Fresno State running back Lonyae Miller to the sideline. Miller projects to run the 40-yard dash in the 4.4 range. Watson showed tremendous closing speed and strong hands to make the pull-down tackle and force a punt.

DT Dan Williams, Tennessee: Williams (6-2, 330) had stuffed the interior rushing lanes during the South practices all week long. That part of his game wasn't questioned by scouts. Where he helped himself was in showing better instincts in the passing game than most had expected. Williams sniffed out a screen early in the game, latching on to Miller to ruin the play. Williams also knocked down a pass from 6-6 Cincinnati quarterback Tony Pike pass moments later.

WR Jeremy Williams, Tulane: Gilyard made the flashy reception, but no one caught more passes Saturday than Williams, who finished with six grabs for 82 yards and had the longest run of the game. His 27-yard jaunt on a reverse could have gone for more had LSU left tackle Ciron Black not essentially made the tackle of his own teammate by cutting off his angle and forcing him out of bounds. Williams (6-0, 205) used his prototype frame to gain position on slants and deep outs, providing the South quarterbacks with a safe target.

NFL Draft Bible wrote:
Senior Bowl: Risers/Fallers
Written by Ralph Mancini Sunday, 31 January 2010 00:25

Risers

Brandon Graham (DE/OLB): Graham capped off a fantastic week of practice by earning MVP honors with two sacks, five tackles, a forced fumble, and countless pressures. The dominant edge rusher dazzled the sellout crowd with an array of outside power moves that had opposing tackles gasping for air. On one play he knocked down Selvish Capers’ hands and sped by him on his way to the quarterback. He was also effective versus the run, as evidenced by how he forced running back Stafon Johnson back inside on a perimeter play and tackled him for a loss.

Jared Odrick (DT): From start to finish, Odrick just kept coming. He constantly penetrated the line of scrimmage with a fiendish first step and incredible leg drive. The lean tackle was also very stout versus the run in the way he stood up his opponents, showing impressive hand skills.

Geno Atkins (DT): The former Bulldog played like a man possessed. He badly beat promising guard Mike Iupati on a few plays by outwrestling him and even forcing the Idaho product to hold him on one play. Atkins worked hard today and even employed on occasional spin move while rushing the passer, as he did on his sack of Sean Canfield.

Dan Williams (DT/NT): Williams was an absolute brick wall that constantly played low, enabling him to gain leverage on blockers. The large tackle routinely locked up his adversaries and opened up clean lanes for linebackers to swoop in for the tackle. In addition, Williams did a marvelous job of recognizing a delayed screen play and held the intended target at the line of scrimmage, forcing the quarterback to throw the ball away.

Dan LeFevour (QB): LeFevour wasn’t perfect, but he was the best out of a mediocre lot of quarterbacks. The 6’3” signal caller was spot-on accurate on a 43-yard hookup with Mardy Gilyard along the right sideline in the third quarter. He later put tremendous touch on a 32-yard touchdown pass to Gilyard, which was immaculately dropped over the head of Javier Arenas and into the hands of his target. Unlike Tim Tebow, LeFevour also shows elusiveness in the open field by running around Miami’s Daryl Sharpton.

Mardy Gilyard (WR): The explosive wide out was hands down the best player at his position. In addition to being extremely quick in and out of breaks, he got open on sideline routes using his speed, debunking the myth of him just being as someone who just makes plays off short routes. Gilyard also adjusted to passes by coming back to the ball, as well as proving to possess good body control.

Lonyae Miller (RB): An interesting combination of power and speed packed in a 220-pound frame. Not only did the Fresno State product exhibit nice cutting ability with a second gear once he gets passed the first level, but he also ran hard behind his pads and kept his legs churning between the tackles. Miller, however, really needs to improve his pass blocking.

LeGarrette Blount (RB): Blount had a lot to prove this week and, to his credit, he silenced a lot of doubters. The 240-pound bruiser was an absolute load in Saturday’s game once he squared his shoulders. On a couple of plays, he just carried defenders on his back. But he also flashed a nice burst of speed to the outside on his 14-yard score, which he finished with a picturesque leap in the end zone. Blount ended up with 44 yards on nine carries.

Jeff Byers (OG/C): A very mobile and versatile run blocker who’ll often serve as a pulling lead man. He easily gets to the second level and regularly finishes his blocks. He led the way on a 27-yard Jeremy Williams reverse in the first quarter.

Chris Cook (CB/S): A tall, fluid corner with the hips to turn and change directions. He demonstrated the ability to bump receivers at the line and apply tight coverage. Cook also showcased some terrific cuts in the open field on an A.J. Edds interception that was lateraled to the former Cavalier.

Sean Weatherspoon (OLB): The vocal defender backed up his all his yapping with an exceptional performance highlighting his versatility. Early in the game, Weatherspoon breaks up a pass intended for Dexter McCluster in the end zone by staying step-for-step with the speedster and alertly turning his head with the ball in the air. He later comes up with an interception by reading the quarterback and positioning himself under the receiver. He was also the first man to the return man in special teams coverage on more than one occasion.

Fallers

Tim Tebow (QB): His tendency to hold the ball too low hurt him on at least one of his two fumbles. Tebow appeared hesitant at times and was slow to see open receivers. He was lined way too often in shotgun formation, depriving talent evaluators the opportunity of seeing him operate as a pro-style quarterback. His longest completion was only 11 yards. As a runner, the former Heisman Trophy winner showed no elusiveness with four yards on four carries.

Sean Canfield (QB): Outside of a pretty throw he makes hitting tight end Ed Dickson in stride, the weak-armed Canfield waited too long for his targets to get open. He must get used to the fact that from now on, he won’t see players getting the same type of separation that he saw as a Beaver. Overall, he needs to speed up his delivery and decision making.

Ciron Black (OT): This may the last time you’ll see Black listed as an offensive tackle after his abysmal showing. The poorly conditioned trenchman was slow out of his stance and didn’t show any foot quickness to stay with his man in pass protection. What was even more alarming was how Graham outworked him even when the LSU man got his paws on the pass rusher.

Ed Wang (OT): Here’s another one whose days as a tackle are probably over. Wang has short arms and will often play too tall, which is one of the reasons he either gets knocked off balance or just flat-out gets knocked to the ground. He’s way too stiff to block NFL speed rushers.

Vladimir Ducasse (OT): The “Haitian Sensation” has a perfect build and incredible brute strength once he gets his hands on his opponent. However, he’s also very raw. He will not be a successful tackle at the next level until he starts moving his feet more. Grabbing pass rushers once they’re already passed him will only earn him holding penalties.

Zane Beadles (OT/OG): In addition to having short arms, Beadles doesn’t show the willingness to use his hands enough against counter moves. He needs to also be more physical.

January 31st, 2010, 1:06 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

weatherspoon was a beast. I know Schwartz had to like him

February 1st, 2010, 2:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3