View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 19th, 2014, 4:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 M2K's 2010 Mock Draft, version 1.0 
RIP Killer

Post M2K's 2010 Mock Draft, version 1.0
1. St. Louis Rams - DT Ndamukong Suh, Nebraska
There is little doubt among draft niks that the Rams most dire need is at quarterback. However, there is simply no signal caller that stands out or is worthy of the top overall pick. Suh is the consensus top player in this draft, and despite numerous high picks along the defensive line, it remains an area of need as well. Suh should solidify the middle of their defense, and allow the Rams to look for their future passer in a later round.

2. Detroit Lions – DT Gerald McCoy, Oklahoma
The Lions defense has ranked last in the NFL for three years running. Though they have made picks to shore up that side of the line, only one in the last eleven first round picks has been for the defense. McCoy has been a top performer since his high school days, and if not for the monster year Suh had, Gerald could easily have gone first overall. Though he doesn’t fit the mold of the big DT Jim Schwartz wants in his defense, McCoy’s quick first step and strong leverage make him play much bigger.

3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – FS Eric Berry, Tennessee
The Bucs have more pressing needs, but they can still use a player of Berry’s caliber in the secondary. Some analysts feel Berry could be the player who makes the most impact in the NFL out of this draft. He has the capability of being used anywhere in the secondary, and plays well against both the run and pass.

4. Washington Redskins – QB Sam Bradford, Oklahoma
Zorn is out, Shanahan is in, and Jason Campbell isn’t the answer. Look for the new ball coach to snap up a QB here. The question will be which one. I feel that Bradford has the better overall game to translate into an NFL starter than Clausen, but his injury is the only question as to whether he goes before Jimmy. Bradford displayed great accuracy, the ability to throw on the move, and excellent leadership before his season ended.

5. Kansas City Chiefs – OT Russell Okung, Oklahoma State
Branden Albert hasn’t panned out to be the NFL left tackle the Chiefs thought he would be. After paying big money for their starting QB, the Chiefs need to better protect him and to establish a power running game again. Okung is adept at both run and pass blocking, and will allow the Chiefs to move Albert inside.

6. Seattle Seahawks – QB Jimmy Clausen, Notre Dame
New coach Pete Carroll has a starting QB, but knows that Hasselback can’t stay healthy. Okung would have been a nice pickup, but getting that future offensive leader is the smart move to make sure he keeps his job more than a couple years. Besides, he has two first round picks to work with.

7. Cleveland Browns – LB Rolando McClain, Alabama
The Browns need a QB, but miss out in this round. Rolando McClain is a human wrecking ball and would be an excellent fit as an inside backer for the Browns’ defense. D’Qwell Jackson may well leave via free agency, but even if he doesn’t McClain would look very good playing next to him.

8. Oakland Raiders – OT Brian Bulaga, Iowa
Al Davis loves to reach for players. Bulaga is a solid offensive tackle. He shut down Derrick Morgan in the Hawkeyes bowl game, and that’s saying something. Despite having used a high pick on Robert Gallery, who also went to Iowa, Davis will reach into the Midwestern well once again and take a chance on Bulaga.

9. Buffalo Bills – DE Derrick Morgan, Georgia Tech
The Bills need to get some youth amongst their pass rushers. They have a pretty decent and young secondary, but they don’t pressure the QB like they need to. Morgan has a great motor, but doesn’t always make the right moves. Look for NFL coaching to improve his pass rush skills dramatically in Buffalo.
10. Jacksonville Jaguars – FS Taylor Mays, Southern Cal
Jacksonville misses the days of having Donovan Darius patrolling their secondary. Mays is bigger and faster than Darius was, and would be a great addition to this team. He could even be used as a linebacker from time to time, if needed.

11. Denver Broncos (Chi) – CB Joe Haden, Florida
Denver might want to take Dez Bryant here, if Brandon Marshall is traded. I am assuming that by draft time the Broncos won’t have any takers since they are asking for a first and third rounder. As such, the Broncos would be best served to improve their secondary. Champ Bailey is not getting any younger, and Andre Goodman is much better as a nickel back. Haden would give them another shut down corner and take some pressure off Bailey to be perfect.

12. Miami Dolphins – WR Dez Bryant, Oklahoma State
The Dolphins would be ecstatic if Bryant was available for them here. He would be a great compliment to Ted Ginn, and would give them a true number one receiver again. The ‘phins could look at running back or nose tackle, but no one is worth this high of a pick at those positions.

13. San Francisco 49ers – DE Carlos Dunlap, Florida
Mike Singletary could go any number of ways with this pick. His most pressing need is probably at corner, but nobody on the board is worth this pick. As such, the ‘niners elect to take one of the more talented defensive linemen on the board in Dunlap. If anyone will be able to get Dunlap motivated, I am sure that it is Singletary. Talent like Dunlap’s doesn’t usually slide too far beyond the top ten.

14. Seattle Seahawks (Den) – OT Anthony Davis, Rutgers
Seattle reached a little to get their starting quarterback of the future earlier. Now they have to reach a little to get their blindside protector of the present. Davis was a highly touted recruit coming out of high school and surprised many by staying close to home to attend Rutgers. Despite not receiving too much national spotlight, Davis is a talented left tackle who should be a suitable replacement for Walter Jones.

15. New York Giants – DT Dan Williams, Tennessee
The Giants have few weak spots, so they could go just about anywhere with this pick. However, they would like to upgrade the interior of their defensive line, and make a fine pick here with Dan Williams. He has good bulk, but deceptive quickness for his size. Some would question his being selected this early, but the Giants like to pick players who fit their roster.

16. Tennessee Titans – DE Brandon Graham, Michigan
Tennessee has to start thinking about getting younger at the defensive end positions. Graham has excellent speed and is a relentless pass rusher. With a lack of talent at corner, the Titans will rely heavily on their pass rush to make opposing QBs make mistakes. Size concerns not withstanding, Graham has more than enough talent to make up for it.

17. San Francisco 49ers (Car) – LB Brandon Spikes, Miami
After adding a defensive end, Mike Singletary gets a player to put next to super backer Patrick Willis. Spikes has good size, and will take some pressure off Willis to feel like he needs to make every tackle. Spikes isn’t great In pass coverage, but he likely won’t be asked to handle those duties too often.

18. Pittsburgh Steelers – OG Mike Iupati, Idaho
The Steelers have big needs along their offensive line, and can use a player like Iupati to fill any of those needs. He has excellent size, is a solid technician, and has a nasty demeanor. Not too many guards are selected this high in the draft, but Iupati has drawn comparisons to Steve Hutchinson for a reason.

19. Atlanta Falcons – DT Brian Price, UCLA
The Falcons have needed to help their defensive line for forever. Price will give them a tackle capable of penetrating gaps and collapsing the pocket. He may have some maturity issues, but I think veteran leadership and NFL coaches will work that aspect out of him.

20. Houston Texans – RB C.J. Spiller, Clemson
Certainly not their most pressing need, but Spiller can be considered the best talent available and would be a phenomenal addition to this offense. Spiller is a big play threat every time he touches the ball, similar to a Reggie Bush style player. He would likely greatly improve the Houston return game as well.

21. Cincinnati Bengals – FS Earl Thomas, Texas
Many have tight end Jermaine Gresham going to the Bengals in their mocks. However, I think Cincy needs to upgrade their safeties, and Thomas would be a welcome addition in their secondary. His ball hawking skills will make opposing quarterbacks think twice about where they’re going with the ball.

22. New England Patriots – LB Sergio Kindle, Texas
The Patriots need to replace Richard Seymour, but getting an outside pass rushing linebacker like Kindle would be too good to pass up here. Kindle can do it all, which is exactly the type of player Bellichik likes. Of course, I expect the Pats to trade down, as they usually do. But Kindle may change their plans, along with their already having three second round picks.

23. Green Bay Packers – OT Bruce Campbell, Maryland
At one time the Packers had a fearsome offensive line. However, it is no longer the case and the Pack needs to start addressing the issue right now. Campbell is moving up draft boards, and could be gone by the time Green Bay picks. However, if he’s on the board, they’ll be sure to snap him up to replace the oft-injured Chad Clifton. T.J. Lang is better suited to play on the right side, where another upgrade is needed.

24. Philadelphia Eagles – DE Jason Pierre-Paul, South Florida
The Eagles may consider Earl Thomas here, but their needs at defensive end should be addressed first. Pierre-Paul is a raw talent with tremendous upside that, if properly developed, could make him the steal of this draft.

25. Baltimore Ravens – CB Patrick Robinson, Florida State
I feel that was just frustration talking, but Ed Reed is threatening retirement. I expect the Ravens to respond by getting more support for Reed in the secondary. This is a slight reach, but Robinson is a good cover player that may escalate his game at the next level and will definitely help an aging group at corner.

26. Arizona Cardinals – LB Jerry Hughes, Texas Christian
If there is a weak spot on the Cardinals defense, it’s at their linebacker spots. Hughes is a do everything style linebacker, who feels as comfortable dropping into coverage as he does taking off after the quarterback. A phenomenal athlete who is a great value pick here for the Cards.

27. Dallas Cowboys – OT Trent Williams, Oklahoma State
Dallas has greater needs, but Williams is too good to pass up here. Flozell Adams is all but none in Dallas, and even if Williams can’t play the left side, he’s bound to be an upgrade over Marco Columbo on the right side.

28. San Diego Chargers – RB Jonathan Dwyer, Georgia Tech
The Chargers have needs along their offensive line, but all the top tier linemen are off the board at this point. Instead, the Chargers take the eventual replacement for LT. Dwyer isn’t a shifty back, but he runs with attitude and can make a player miss on occasion.

29. New York Jets – LB Ricky Sapp, Clemson
The Jets can use additional pass pressure from the outside. Calvin Pace is good, but not great. Vernon Gholston has been beyond disappointing. Sapp represents good value here, and would give the Jets a very good athlete on the outside to get after opposing quarterbacks.

30. Minnesota Vikings – QB Tim Tebow
I’m sure this pick will surprise some people, but the Vikings need to think about getting a quarterback. Most feel Tebow won’t make a good NFL signal caller (including me), but this late in the first round the Vikings can afford to take a chance. If Tebow can’t play QB, they can always make a tight end out of him.

31. New Orleans Saints – DT Jared Odrick, Penn State
The Saints need to make some upgrades on the interior of their defensive line and at linebacker. They could go with Navorro Bowman, but elect to pick another Nittany Lion and take Jared Odrick here. Odrick has penetrating quickness and can be very stout against the run. In a very good DT class in this years draft, the Saints get one of the better ones here.

32. Indianapolis Colts – LB Navorro Bowman, Penn State
Since the Saints take Odrick, the Colts take the player they pass on and go with Bowman. Bowman will give the Colts a player that can play stand up linebacker, or even work from a defensive end position to add to the pass rush. Some off-field concerns have dropped his stock, but his athleticism is too good to pass on for the Colts here.

33. St. Louis Rams – QB Colt McCoy, Texas
34. Detroit Lions – DE Everson Griffen, Southern Cal
35. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – DE Greg Hardy, Ole Miss
36. Kansas City Chiefs – WR Golden Tate, Notre Dame
37. Washington Redskins – OT Jon Asamoah, Illinois
38. Cleveland Browns – WR Damian Williams, Southern Cal
39. Oakland Raiders – DT Terrence Cody, Alabama
40. Seattle Seahawks – DE George Selvie, South Florida
41. Buffalo Bills – TE Jermaine Gresham, Oklahoma
42. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Chi) – LB Sean Weatherspoon, Missouri
43. Miami Dolphins – RB Jahvid Best, California
44. New England Patriots (Jax) – OC Maurkice Pouncey, Florida
45. Denver Broncos – WR Arrelious Benn, Illinois
46. New York Giants – LB Daryl Washington, Texas Christian
47. New England Patriots (Ten) – DE Arthur Jones, Syracuse
48. Carolina Panthers – FS Nate Allen, South Florida
49. San Francisco 49ers – CB Donovan Warren, Michigan
50. Kansas City Chiefs (Atl) – LB Eric Norwood, South Carolina
51. Houston Texans – WR Brandon LaFell, Louisiana State
52. Pittsburgh Steelers – CB Brandon Ghee, Wake Forest
53. New England Patriots – RB Ryan Mathews, Fresno State
54. Cincinnati Bengals – WR Mardy Gilyard, Cincinnati
55. Philadelphia Eagles – LB Sean Lee, Penn State
56. Green Bay Packers – CB Perrish Cox, Oklahoma State
57. Baltimore Ravens – WR Jeremy Williams, Tulane
58. Arizona Cardinals – OT Selvish Capers, West Virginia
59. Dallas Cowboys – CB Kareem Jackson, Alabama
60. San Diego Chargers – DE Tyson Aluala, California
61. New York Jets – CB Devin McCourty, Rutgers
62. Minnesota Vikings – DE Corey Wootton, Northwestern
63. New Orleans Saints – WR Dezmon Briscoe, Kansas
64. Indianapolis Colts – CB Trevard Lyndley, Kentucky

January 24th, 2010, 8:46 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Post Re: M2K's 2010 Mock Draft, version 1.0
Just some thoughts

I believe Carrol has said that they will not be looking for a QB this year (could be a smoke screen)

I think if Al Davis reaches on an OT it will be Bruce Campbell

The Broncos drafted Alphonso Smith last year so I would be surprised if they went that direction but not impossible

I think the Giants would take Price over Williams. They are comparable in rankings IMO but price seems to fit what they like in DT more.

Patrick Robinson is not generally considered a 1st rounder anymore.

January 25th, 2010, 2:12 am
Mr. Irrelevant

1. St. Louis Rams - QB Sam Bradford, Oklahoma
Bradford proves he is healthy, accurate, can make all the throws, and the Rams have there QB of the future.

2. Detroit Lions – DT Ndamukong Suh, Nebraska

3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – DT Gerald McCoy, Oklahoma

4. Washington Redskins – OT Russell Okung, Oklahoma State

5. Kansas City Chiefs – QB Jimmy Clausen, Notre Dame

6. Seattle Seahawks – FS Eric Berry, Tennessee

7. Cleveland Browns – WR Dez Bryant, Oklahoma State

8. Oakland Raiders – CB Joe Haden, Florida

9. Buffalo Bills – OT Trent Williams, Oklahoma State

10. Jacksonville Jaguars – LB Rolando McClain, Alabama

11. Denver Broncos - DE Derrick Morgan, Georgia Tech

12. Miami Dolphins – LB Sergio Kindle, Texas

13. San Francisco 49ers – FS Taylor Mays, Southern Cal

14. Seattle Seahawks - DE Everson Griffen, Southern Cal

15. New York Giants – DT Brian Price, UCLA

16. Tennessee Titans – DT Dan Williams, Tennessee

17. San Francisco 49ers - OT Anthony Davis, Rutgers

18. Pittsburgh Steelers – OT Brian Bulaga, Iowa

19. Atlanta Falcons – DT Jared Odrick, Penn State

20. Houston Texans – CB Earl Thomas, Texas

21. Cincinnati Bengals – DE Carlos Dunlap, Florida

22. New England Patriots – LB Ricky Sapp, Clemson

23. Green Bay Packers – CB Patrick Robinson, Florida State

24. Philadelphia Eagles – OG Mike Iupati, Idaho

25. Baltimore Ravens – LB Jerry Hughes, Texas Christian

26. Arizona Cardinals – TE Jermaine Gresham, Oklahoma

27. Dallas Cowboys – OT Bruce Campbell, Maryland

28. San Diego Chargers – RB C.J. Spiller, Clemson

29. New York Jets – WR Golden Tate, Notre Dame

30. Minnesota Vikings – QB Colt McCoy, Texas

31. Indianapolis Colts – LB Brandon Spikes, Miami

32. New Orleans Saints – DE Brandon Graham, Michigan

33. St. Louis Rams – WR Arrelious Benn, Illinois

34. Detroit Lions – RB Jahvid Best, California
If Lions stick to BPA

Most of these I based on need and current player rankings. This is way early and I'm sure the rankings will change a great deal before the draft.

January 25th, 2010, 9:22 am
RIP Killer

Stallion....all very good thoughts/observations.
Re: Pete Carroll. My thinking is that if one of the top two fall to him, he'll have to give it serious thought. Much like Schwartz did here, and others have done in other cities, a new HC usually wants to get their future QB in town if he's not already on the roster. Just my thoughts.

Re: Al Davis. I have heard the same thing, but don't buy the basis of the pick. If Asomugha leaves in free agency, the pick could be Haden. Bulaga, at least to me, is clearly the better choice...which probably means Captain Senility takes Bruce Campbell.

Re: Broncos. I recall them taking Smith last season, but I recall hearing that Denver was not impressed with his performance during the season. I know they'd love a shot at McClain. I think they really want to see Mays fall to them, and that could happen.

Re: Giants. Interesting observation. I think Williams, being bigger, fits what the Giants want more. Plus, Coughlin doesn't tolerate problem childs, and Price seems like he's a bit of a whiner.

thanks for the observations

Liontrax-

It is possible that Bradford will prove himself worthy of the top overall pick. But to spend that much money on a guy who didn't see any action for that many months is quite a gamble. As I said before, at this time last season Stafford was barely mentioned as being worthy of the top spot. So Bradford isn't completely out of the picture, that's for sure.

Chiefs-QB? Really? I don't think Scott Pioli will be admitting a mistake by signing Matt Cassell this quickly, even with their hiring of Charlie Weis. I seriously doubt they take Clausen, particularly given their other glaring needs. I don't think there's any way they pass on Berry.

Buffalo-they do need tackles, but Williams is viewed as a right tackle, and they don't get picked this high. The last time Buffalo did this they took another Williams (Mike) fourth overall, and that didn't work out too well. They passed on Bryant McKinnie....very dumb. I don't see them making that same mistake. I think Derrick Morgan will be their man over Trent. If they do go tackle, it will be Bulaga or Davis over Williams, in my opinion.

Denver-Denver has a sack machine in Elvis Dumervil, and took Robert Ayers last year. They won't spend another pick on an OLB for their 34 defense, and that's what Morgan would be for them.

The rest of the mock you show is pretty good, but I don't see Iupati, Spikes and Graham falling that far. But, stranger things have happened.

January 25th, 2010, 2:26 pm
NFL Team Captain

I thought I read somewhere that Dumerville is a free agent this year. I could be wrong but I believe it was KFFL.com

January 25th, 2010, 7:53 pm
National Champion

m2karateman wrote:
1. St. Louis Rams - DT Ndamukong Suh, Nebraska
There is little doubt among draft niks that the Rams most dire need is at quarterback. However, there is simply no signal caller that stands out or is worthy of the top overall pick. Suh is the consensus top player in this draft, and despite numerous high picks along the defensive line, it remains an area of need as well. Suh should solidify the middle of their defense, and allow the Rams to look for their future passer in a later round.

2. Detroit Lions – DT Gerald McCoy, Oklahoma
The Lions defense has ranked last in the NFL for three years running. Though they have made picks to shore up that side of the line, only one in the last eleven first round picks has been for the defense. McCoy has been a top performer since his high school days, and if not for the monster year Suh had, Gerald could easily have gone first overall. Though he doesn’t fit the mold of the big DT Jim Schwartz wants in his defense, McCoy’s quick first step and strong leverage make him play much bigger.

3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – FS Eric Berry, Tennessee
The Bucs have more pressing needs, but they can still use a player of Berry’s caliber in the secondary. Some analysts feel Berry could be the player who makes the most impact in the NFL out of this draft. He has the capability of being used anywhere in the secondary, and plays well against both the run and pass.

4. Washington Redskins – QB Sam Bradford, Oklahoma
Zorn is out, Shanahan is in, and Jason Campbell isn’t the answer. Look for the new ball coach to snap up a QB here. The question will be which one. I feel that Bradford has the better overall game to translate into an NFL starter than Clausen, but his injury is the only question as to whether he goes before Jimmy. Bradford displayed great accuracy, the ability to throw on the move, and excellent leadership before his season ended.

5. Kansas City Chiefs – OT Russell Okung, Oklahoma State
Branden Albert hasn’t panned out to be the NFL left tackle the Chiefs thought he would be. After paying big money for their starting QB, the Chiefs need to better protect him and to establish a power running game again. Okung is adept at both run and pass blocking, and will allow the Chiefs to move Albert inside.

6. Seattle Seahawks – QB Jimmy Clausen, Notre Dame
New coach Pete Carroll has a starting QB, but knows that Hasselback can’t stay healthy. Okung would have been a nice pickup, but getting that future offensive leader is the smart move to make sure he keeps his job more than a couple years. Besides, he has two first round picks to work with.

7. Cleveland Browns – LB Rolando McClain, Alabama
The Browns need a QB, but miss out in this round. Rolando McClain is a human wrecking ball and would be an excellent fit as an inside backer for the Browns’ defense. D’Qwell Jackson may well leave via free agency, but even if he doesn’t McClain would look very good playing next to him.

8. Oakland Raiders – OT Brian Bulaga, Iowa
Al Davis loves to reach for players. Bulaga is a solid offensive tackle. He shut down Derrick Morgan in the Hawkeyes bowl game, and that’s saying something. Despite having used a high pick on Robert Gallery, who also went to Iowa, Davis will reach into the Midwestern well once again and take a chance on Bulaga.

9. Buffalo Bills – DE Derrick Morgan, Georgia Tech
The Bills need to get some youth amongst their pass rushers. They have a pretty decent and young secondary, but they don’t pressure the QB like they need to. Morgan has a great motor, but doesn’t always make the right moves. Look for NFL coaching to improve his pass rush skills dramatically in Buffalo.
10. Jacksonville Jaguars – FS Taylor Mays, Southern Cal
Jacksonville misses the days of having Donovan Darius patrolling their secondary. Mays is bigger and faster than Darius was, and would be a great addition to this team. He could even be used as a linebacker from time to time, if needed.

11. Denver Broncos (Chi) – CB Joe Haden, Florida
Denver might want to take Dez Bryant here, if Brandon Marshall is traded. I am assuming that by draft time the Broncos won’t have any takers since they are asking for a first and third rounder. As such, the Broncos would be best served to improve their secondary. Champ Bailey is not getting any younger, and Andre Goodman is much better as a nickel back. Haden would give them another shut down corner and take some pressure off Bailey to be perfect.

12. Miami Dolphins – WR Dez Bryant, Oklahoma State
The Dolphins would be ecstatic if Bryant was available for them here. He would be a great compliment to Ted Ginn, and would give them a true number one receiver again. The ‘phins could look at running back or nose tackle, but no one is worth this high of a pick at those positions.

13. San Francisco 49ers – DE Carlos Dunlap, Florida
Mike Singletary could go any number of ways with this pick. His most pressing need is probably at corner, but nobody on the board is worth this pick. As such, the ‘niners elect to take one of the more talented defensive linemen on the board in Dunlap. If anyone will be able to get Dunlap motivated, I am sure that it is Singletary. Talent like Dunlap’s doesn’t usually slide too far beyond the top ten.

14. Seattle Seahawks (Den) – OT Anthony Davis, Rutgers
Seattle reached a little to get their starting quarterback of the future earlier. Now they have to reach a little to get their blindside protector of the present. Davis was a highly touted recruit coming out of high school and surprised many by staying close to home to attend Rutgers. Despite not receiving too much national spotlight, Davis is a talented left tackle who should be a suitable replacement for Walter Jones.

15. New York Giants – DT Dan Williams, Tennessee
The Giants have few weak spots, so they could go just about anywhere with this pick. However, they would like to upgrade the interior of their defensive line, and make a fine pick here with Dan Williams. He has good bulk, but deceptive quickness for his size. Some would question his being selected this early, but the Giants like to pick players who fit their roster.

16. Tennessee Titans – DE Brandon Graham, Michigan
Tennessee has to start thinking about getting younger at the defensive end positions. Graham has excellent speed and is a relentless pass rusher. With a lack of talent at corner, the Titans will rely heavily on their pass rush to make opposing QBs make mistakes. Size concerns not withstanding, Graham has more than enough talent to make up for it.

17. San Francisco 49ers (Car) – LB Brandon Spikes, Miami
After adding a defensive end, Mike Singletary gets a player to put next to super backer Patrick Willis. Spikes has good size, and will take some pressure off Willis to feel like he needs to make every tackle. Spikes isn’t great In pass coverage, but he likely won’t be asked to handle those duties too often.

18. Pittsburgh Steelers – OG Mike Iupati, Idaho
The Steelers have big needs along their offensive line, and can use a player like Iupati to fill any of those needs. He has excellent size, is a solid technician, and has a nasty demeanor. Not too many guards are selected this high in the draft, but Iupati has drawn comparisons to Steve Hutchinson for a reason.

19. Atlanta Falcons – DT Brian Price, UCLA
The Falcons have needed to help their defensive line for forever. Price will give them a tackle capable of penetrating gaps and collapsing the pocket. He may have some maturity issues, but I think veteran leadership and NFL coaches will work that aspect out of him.

20. Houston Texans – RB C.J. Spiller, Clemson
Certainly not their most pressing need, but Spiller can be considered the best talent available and would be a phenomenal addition to this offense. Spiller is a big play threat every time he touches the ball, similar to a Reggie Bush style player. He would likely greatly improve the Houston return game as well.

21. Cincinnati Bengals – FS Earl Thomas, Texas
Many have tight end Jermaine Gresham going to the Bengals in their mocks. However, I think Cincy needs to upgrade their safeties, and Thomas would be a welcome addition in their secondary. His ball hawking skills will make opposing quarterbacks think twice about where they’re going with the ball.

22. New England Patriots – LB Sergio Kindle, Texas
The Patriots need to replace Richard Seymour, but getting an outside pass rushing linebacker like Kindle would be too good to pass up here. Kindle can do it all, which is exactly the type of player Bellichik likes. Of course, I expect the Pats to trade down, as they usually do. But Kindle may change their plans, along with their already having three second round picks.

23. Green Bay Packers – OT Bruce Campbell, Maryland
At one time the Packers had a fearsome offensive line. However, it is no longer the case and the Pack needs to start addressing the issue right now. Campbell is moving up draft boards, and could be gone by the time Green Bay picks. However, if he’s on the board, they’ll be sure to snap him up to replace the oft-injured Chad Clifton. T.J. Lang is better suited to play on the right side, where another upgrade is needed.

24. Philadelphia Eagles – DE Jason Pierre-Paul, South Florida
The Eagles may consider Earl Thomas here, but their needs at defensive end should be addressed first. Pierre-Paul is a raw talent with tremendous upside that, if properly developed, could make him the steal of this draft.

25. Baltimore Ravens – CB Patrick Robinson, Florida State
I feel that was just frustration talking, but Ed Reed is threatening retirement. I expect the Ravens to respond by getting more support for Reed in the secondary. This is a slight reach, but Robinson is a good cover player that may escalate his game at the next level and will definitely help an aging group at corner.

26. Arizona Cardinals – LB Jerry Hughes, Texas Christian
If there is a weak spot on the Cardinals defense, it’s at their linebacker spots. Hughes is a do everything style linebacker, who feels as comfortable dropping into coverage as he does taking off after the quarterback. A phenomenal athlete who is a great value pick here for the Cards.

27. Dallas Cowboys – OT Trent Williams, Oklahoma State
Dallas has greater needs, but Williams is too good to pass up here. Flozell Adams is all but none in Dallas, and even if Williams can’t play the left side, he’s bound to be an upgrade over Marco Columbo on the right side.

28. San Diego Chargers – RB Jonathan Dwyer, Georgia Tech
The Chargers have needs along their offensive line, but all the top tier linemen are off the board at this point. Instead, the Chargers take the eventual replacement for LT. Dwyer isn’t a shifty back, but he runs with attitude and can make a player miss on occasion.

29. New York Jets – LB Ricky Sapp, Clemson
The Jets can use additional pass pressure from the outside. Calvin Pace is good, but not great. Vernon Gholston has been beyond disappointing. Sapp represents good value here, and would give the Jets a very good athlete on the outside to get after opposing quarterbacks.

30. Minnesota Vikings – QB Tim Tebow
I’m sure this pick will surprise some people, but the Vikings need to think about getting a quarterback. Most feel Tebow won’t make a good NFL signal caller (including me), but this late in the first round the Vikings can afford to take a chance. If Tebow can’t play QB, they can always make a tight end out of him.

31. New Orleans Saints – DT Jared Odrick, Penn State
The Saints need to make some upgrades on the interior of their defensive line and at linebacker. They could go with Navorro Bowman, but elect to pick another Nittany Lion and take Jared Odrick here. Odrick has penetrating quickness and can be very stout against the run. In a very good DT class in this years draft, the Saints get one of the better ones here.

32. Indianapolis Colts – LB Navorro Bowman, Penn State
Since the Saints take Odrick, the Colts take the player they pass on and go with Bowman. Bowman will give the Colts a player that can play stand up linebacker, or even work from a defensive end position to add to the pass rush. Some off-field concerns have dropped his stock, but his athleticism is too good to pass on for the Colts here.

33. St. Louis Rams – QB Colt McCoy, Texas
34. Detroit Lions – DE Everson Griffen, Southern Cal
35. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – DE Greg Hardy, Ole Miss
36. Kansas City Chiefs – WR Golden Tate, Notre Dame
37. Washington Redskins – OT Jon Asamoah, Illinois
38. Cleveland Browns – WR Damian Williams, Southern Cal
39. Oakland Raiders – DT Terrence Cody, Alabama
40. Seattle Seahawks – DE George Selvie, South Florida
41. Buffalo Bills – TE Jermaine Gresham, Oklahoma
42. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Chi) – LB Sean Weatherspoon, Missouri
43. Miami Dolphins – RB Jahvid Best, California
44. New England Patriots (Jax) – OC Maurkice Pouncey, Florida
45. Denver Broncos – WR Arrelious Benn, Illinois
46. New York Giants – LB Daryl Washington, Texas Christian
47. New England Patriots (Ten) – DE Arthur Jones, Syracuse
48. Carolina Panthers – FS Nate Allen, South Florida
49. San Francisco 49ers – CB Donovan Warren, Michigan
50. Kansas City Chiefs (Atl) – LB Eric Norwood, South Carolina
51. Houston Texans – WR Brandon LaFell, Louisiana State
52. Pittsburgh Steelers – CB Brandon Ghee, Wake Forest
53. New England Patriots – RB Ryan Mathews, Fresno State
54. Cincinnati Bengals – WR Mardy Gilyard, Cincinnati
55. Philadelphia Eagles – LB Sean Lee, Penn State
56. Green Bay Packers – CB Perrish Cox, Oklahoma State
57. Baltimore Ravens – WR Jeremy Williams, Tulane
58. Arizona Cardinals – OT Selvish Capers, West Virginia
59. Dallas Cowboys – CB Kareem Jackson, Alabama
60. San Diego Chargers – DE Tyson Aluala, California
61. New York Jets – CB Devin McCourty, Rutgers
62. Minnesota Vikings – DE Corey Wootton, Northwestern
63. New Orleans Saints – WR Dezmon Briscoe, Kansas
64. Indianapolis Colts – CB Trevard Lyndley, Kentucky

A very solid effort. There are a lot of picks that I never really would have come up with, but make sense (C.J. Spiller to Houston, for instance). Here is my two cents for what it's worth as you work towards "V. 2.0."

I have been doing a lot of research on 4-3 DE's/3-4 OLBs (for an article that I'm working on that I hope will be pretty cool), so most of my comments are directed in that regard. I'm not sure that Dunlap is a great fit at San Francisco with their 3-4 defense. Do you think that he would be better as a 3-4 DE, a la Calais Campbell? It seems like he's the prototypical 4-3 DE to me.

Mid-first round is high for Graham, and I'm a Graham fan. He might work out better than expected though and maybe he'll go that high. Also, I think high second round is way too early for Hardy. I would have agreed with you a month ago, but he wasn't given an invite to the Senior Bowl and the fact that they don't think he's one of the top 100 seniors suggests that he's not exactly a good candidate to go in the first 40 picks. I'm not very high on Griffen at all (a not overly productive DE on a stacked team), but that's probably about where he'll go, depending on workouts. With only 3 sacks this year, I'm not sure that Selvie goes that early, either. Anyway, overall it was a very well-thought out Mock.

January 26th, 2010, 12:09 am
RIP Killer

Strawberries&Chocolat wrote:
A very solid effort. There are a lot of picks that I never really would have come up with, but make sense (C.J. Spiller to Houston, for instance). Here is my two cents for what it's worth as you work towards "V. 2.0."

I have been doing a lot of research on 4-3 DE's/3-4 OLBs (for an article that I'm working on that I hope will be pretty cool), so most of my comments are directed in that regard. I'm not sure that Dunlap is a great fit at San Francisco with their 3-4 defense. Do you think that he would be better as a 3-4 DE, a la Calais Campbell? It seems like he's the prototypical 4-3 DE to me.

Mid-first round is high for Graham, and I'm a Graham fan. He might work out better than expected though and maybe he'll go that high. Also, I think high second round is way too early for Hardy. I would have agreed with you a month ago, but he wasn't given an invite to the Senior Bowl and the fact that they don't think he's one of the top 100 seniors suggests that he's not exactly a good candidate to go in the first 40 picks. I'm not very high on Griffen at all (a not overly productive DE on a stacked team), but that's probably about where he'll go, depending on workouts. With only 3 sacks this year, I'm not sure that Selvie goes that early, either. Anyway, overall it was a very well-thought out Mock.

Thanks S&C. I'm looking forward to seeing your article. In regards to your above comments:
Dunlap - Honestly, I think this guy has bust written all over him. However, his athletic talent once motivated is outstanding. At close to or just above 290 lbs, I feel Dunlap projects fairly well as a 34 DE prospect, particularly given that he has the frame to add some additional weight. If Singletary can find a way to get Dunlap's head on right and keep him in the game, he'll be outstanding for them.

Graham - I struggled with this somewhat. Graham, I found out, was nursing nagging injuries all season long, but still played fairly well. He has the athletic capability of playing OLB in a 34 or a 43, as well as possibly being a DE in a 43. Now that he's healthy, I think the Senior Bowl and Combine will show his skills. People want to knock him for lack of height....but what about Dumervil? Freeney? Lower stature gives a DE greater leverage against tall tackles. I think because Graham didn't play in a post season game, people have dropped his stock somewhat. It remains to be seen if that is justified or not.

Griffen - Another tough one to project. Natural talent says he should go mid-first round, but production dictates high to mid-second round. His interviews will be crucial for him at the combines.

Hardy - He had a pretty good Shrine game, so his stock may have gone up somewhat. There is little doubt this guy can be a fearsome pass rusher. Coaches at the Shrine game said he worked as hard as anyone there. But there are still lingering questions about his work ethic, which could lead to his numerous injuries. I find the hard workers and the ones with high motors don't get hurt, they do the hurtin'. I don't think Hardy is as bad as Michael Johnson was last year (3rd rounder to the Bengals, and played well for them). Because of Johnsons relative success, I think Hardy gets taken early in round two or even late round one.

Thanks again.

January 26th, 2010, 9:56 am
National Champion

m2karateman wrote:
Strawberries&Chocolat wrote:

Thanks S&C. I'm looking forward to seeing your article. In regards to your above comments:
Dunlap - Honestly, I think this guy has bust written all over him. However, his athletic talent once motivated is outstanding. At close to or just above 290 lbs, I feel Dunlap projects fairly well as a 34 DE prospect, particularly given that he has the frame to add some additional weight. If Singletary can find a way to get Dunlap's head on right and keep him in the game, he'll be outstanding for them.

Graham - I struggled with this somewhat. Graham, I found out, was nursing nagging injuries all season long, but still played fairly well. He has the athletic capability of playing OLB in a 34 or a 43, as well as possibly being a DE in a 43. Now that he's healthy, I think the Senior Bowl and Combine will show his skills. People want to knock him for lack of height....but what about Dumervil? Freeney? Lower stature gives a DE greater leverage against tall tackles. I think because Graham didn't play in a post season game, people have dropped his stock somewhat. It remains to be seen if that is justified or not.

Griffen - Another tough one to project. Natural talent says he should go mid-first round, but production dictates high to mid-second round. His interviews will be crucial for him at the combines.

Hardy - He had a pretty good Shrine game, so his stock may have gone up somewhat. There is little doubt this guy can be a fearsome pass rusher. Coaches at the Shrine game said he worked as hard as anyone there. But there are still lingering questions about his work ethic, which could lead to his numerous injuries. I find the hard workers and the ones with high motors don't get hurt, they do the hurtin'. I don't think Hardy is as bad as Michael Johnson was last year (3rd rounder to the Bengals, and played well for them). Because of Johnsons relative success, I think Hardy gets taken early in round two or even late round one.

Thanks again.

Glad that you found my thoughts useful, or at least interesting.

About Graham, I'm not as concerned about the height. I think that the real reason that height is important for DE's is that it gives them the "frame" they need to carry enough weight to be strong against the run. If Graham can carry 260+ lbs. at 6'1 and still have the athleticism necessary to play the position, I don't think his height will matter much. My research suggests that height doesn't matter at all for rushing the passer. What I'm worried about are his short arms, but I'm sort of conflicted about it. On the one hand (excuse the pun), my research suggests that arm length doesn't matter at all. Derrick Harvey has 35.5 inch arms and nobody is arguing that he's better that Terrell Suggs who has 32 inch arms. The problem is that (although I don't have arm length data on everyone) I'm unaware of any DE taken in the first two rounds of the draft with as arms as short as Graham's. The closest is Matt Roth, whose arms were 30 7/8 inches.

I understand your concerns on Dunalp, although I wonder if popular fandom is underrating him slightly. I haven't encountered anyone really who thinks that he is going to succeed. He has motor concerns, but so did Mario Williams coming out. At the end of the day you're talking about a player with 21 sacks in the last two years who has absolutely rare size for the position. He's not like Michael Johnson last year who had tons of physical tools but had no productivity to back it up. Again, I understand the bust concerns, but he has (dare I say it) "upside."

What I don't like about Griffen is the absolute lack of production and the fact that he's "flat lined" He had 5.5 sacks as a freshman but couldn't garner more than 7.0 sacks as a Junior despite being across the line from Nick Perry.

I'm surprised that Hardy has dropped so low. He has been injured but has been an absolute pass rushing beast when healthy. If Erasmus James was a first round pick, I don't understand why Hardy isn't. Anyway, I do think it wise for teams to steer away from him.

As way of preview, here are my preliminary rankings of 3-4 OLBs/4-3 DE's for my article. By the way, these are based on the statistics that I've been looking at and thus they aren't my personal ranking, but what the computer spits out. Most of these guys are close together, and are highly contingent on the workouts (these rankings assume that all of these players work out the same) so there can be lots of change at the top.

Derrick Morgan
Carlos Dunlap
Brandon Graham
Jerry Hughes
Everson Griffen
Greg Hardy
Sergio Kindle
Ricky Sapp
Jason Pierre-Paul

January 26th, 2010, 11:27 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

Stallion....all very good thoughts/observations.
Re: Pete Carroll. My thinking is that if one of the top two fall to him, he'll have to give it serious thought. Much like Schwartz did here, and others have done in other cities, a new HC usually wants to get their future QB in town if he's not already on the roster. Just my thoughts.

Re: Al Davis. I have heard the same thing, but don't buy the basis of the pick. If Asomugha leaves in free agency, the pick could be Haden. Bulaga, at least to me, is clearly the better choice...which probably means Captain Senility takes Bruce Campbell.

Re: Broncos. I recall them taking Smith last season, but I recall hearing that Denver was not impressed with his performance during the season. I know they'd love a shot at McClain. I think they really want to see Mays fall to them, and that could happen.

Re: Giants. Interesting observation. I think Williams, being bigger, fits what the Giants want more. Plus, Coughlin doesn't tolerate problem childs, and Price seems like he's a bit of a whiner.

thanks for the observations

Liontrax-

It is possible that Bradford will prove himself worthy of the top overall pick. But to spend that much money on a guy who didn't see any action for that many months is quite a gamble. As I said before, at this time last season Stafford was barely mentioned as being worthy of the top spot. So Bradford isn't completely out of the picture, that's for sure.

Chiefs-QB? Really? I don't think Scott Pioli will be admitting a mistake by signing Matt Cassell this quickly, even with their hiring of Charlie Weis. I seriously doubt they take Clausen, particularly given their other glaring needs. I don't think there's any way they pass on Berry.

Buffalo-they do need tackles, but Williams is viewed as a right tackle, and they don't get picked this high. The last time Buffalo did this they took another Williams (Mike) fourth overall, and that didn't work out too well. They passed on Bryant McKinnie....very dumb. I don't see them making that same mistake. I think Derrick Morgan will be their man over Trent. If they do go tackle, it will be Bulaga or Davis over Williams, in my opinion.

Denver-Denver has a sack machine in Elvis Dumervil, and took Robert Ayers last year. They won't spend another pick on an OLB for their 34 defense, and that's what Morgan would be for them.

The rest of the mock you show is pretty good, but I don't see Iupati, Spikes and Graham falling that far. But, stranger things have happened.

M2k, Yea, I screwed up on KC. What was I thinkin! Dunno! As far as Williams, he could eventually be a LT. They took a TE and turned him into a LT. So it shows they have patience. They just took a DE last year didn't they? In reference to Morgan, he might have enough size to play 3-4, at 6-4, 272. Iupati is climbing the boards as I type this I feel. As far as Spikes goes, my gut tells me he might be like Malaluga was last year and fall to the 2nd.

January 27th, 2010, 6:36 pm
RIP Killer

M2k, Yea, I screwed up on KC. What was I thinkin! Dunno! As far as Williams, he could eventually be a LT. They took a TE and turned him into a LT. So it shows they have patience. They just took a DE last year didn't they? In reference to Morgan, he might have enough size to play 3-4, at 6-4, 272. Iupati is climbing the boards as I type this I feel. As far as Spikes goes, my gut tells me he might be like Malaluga was last year and fall to the 2nd.

Hey, it happens to all of us, right?!

Williams - he could be a LT, in fact he played LT in college. But it seems to me like he doesn't move his feet well. That's not something you can teach, you either have it or you don't. Jason Peters was a 300 lb tight end, and there are many cases in the NFL of players who started as tight ends, but as they gained weight eventually became LTs. Their athleticism and quick feet is what makes them capable of playing LT in the NFL. I'm not saying there's no way Buffalo takes Williams. But I think they'd prefer to take a pure LT that high, if that's the way they go.

Buffalo did take Aaron Maybin last season, but they still have issues at DE on the other side. It will be a tough choice for them between Derrick Morgan and an offensive tackle. Maybe they trade down? Who knows. Your assessment of their needs is correct, though. They do need a tackle.

Denver - I'm sorry, but I disagree. 34 DEs are typically around the 295-315 range....sort of the same size as a 3 technique DT in a 43 defense. Morgan doesn't seem to have the frame to add 20 lbs or more and keep his quickness. When they make their pick, they will know if they plan to keep Brandon Marshall or not. If not, they'll likely go with Dez Bryant, if he's on the board. If he's gone, they could take a long look at Carlos Dunlap, who would be a good fit as a 34 DE. They might even reach somewhat and take DT Dan Williams to be their nose tackle, since reports are that he has the low center of gravity and strong base critical to stand his ground against inside double teams.

Personally, I think Denver does what they can to move Brandon Marshall. Right now they're asking for a 1st and 3rd, but I think they'll settle for far less when push comes to shove. It doesn't benefit them at all to keep him around if he's upsetting the locker room. I wouldn't be surprised if Baltimore comes in with an offer of picks....like a 2nd and 5th rounder, something like that.

January 28th, 2010, 9:27 am

I was looking through this again after doing a quick mock myself. I noticed you did not post the Jags pick.

February 10th, 2010, 1:33 pm
Position Coach

If Taylor Mays is on the board in the 2nd and Kyle Wilson is not, would you take Mays? I personally would like to get a starting CB in the 2nd round

February 10th, 2010, 3:25 pm
RIP Killer

Actually the Jags pick is there, it just got caught up underneath the Buffalo pick. I have them taking Taylor Mays.....but that's not what I will have them projected for now. I am beginning to think that there is a possibility Mays drops into the second round. I don't see him going top 20, unless his Combine and Pro Day workouts are off the charts.

I will be looking to post a three rounder pretty soon.

February 10th, 2010, 5:13 pm

Actually the Jags pick is there, it just got caught up underneath the Buffalo pick. I have them taking Taylor Mays.....but that's not what I will have them projected for now. I am beginning to think that there is a possibility Mays drops into the second round. I don't see him going top 20, unless his Combine and Pro Day workouts are off the charts.

I will be looking to post a three rounder pretty soon.

I agree with you pretty much 100% on Mays.

February 10th, 2010, 6:06 pm
RIP Killer

Mays seems like a JL. Junior year for sure top 15 pick, maybe even top 10... then a lackluster senior season (but still solid) makes people think twice. I think Mays will turn out to be worthy of a top 15 pick just like JL.

February 10th, 2010, 6:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next