View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 1st, 2014, 8:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Lions' biggest needs in the draft / offseason? 

Lions' biggest need in the 2010 offseason?
Guard 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Safety 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Defensive Tackle 29%  29%  [ 8 ]
Defensive End 14%  14%  [ 4 ]
Other 50%  50%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 28

Lions' biggest needs in the draft / offseason? 
Player of the Year - Defense

1. Corner -- Lions have NO starting caliber corner. They at least have a starting caliber player at all the other positions.

--- (space indicating that the other needs are not nearly as great)

2. Defensive End OR Defensive Tackle
An impact defensive end would take some of the pressure off the defensive tackles (thus making them better) and vice versa.

3. Left Guard
Adequate guards can typically be found in the later rounds of the draft, but it'd be nice to have a player with a name to protect Stafford and help in the running game.

4. Wide Receiver
Probably going to take some flak for this, but hear me out: The Lions need to keep CJ happy and they need to help Stafford get better. CJ's numbers aren't as great as they should be because hes constantly double and triple covered. If that continues he's going to become disgruntled and leave in FA--that can't be allowed to happen. Pettigrew is more of a blocking TE than a pass catcher. Derrick Williams may become this second weapon, but he hasn't shown anything yet.

5. Safety
Delmas seems promising, but he's the only safety worth a damn on the team. With crappy CBs, the safeties need to be better to compensate.

February 16th, 2010, 5:07 pm
Div 1 - Starter

I also picked "other" in honor of our atrocious CB squad. When Will James is your best CB, you belong in the UFL.

I would rank the offseason needs thusly:

1) CB - draft one early and either one middle or sign Nate Clements.
2) D-line - I would really prefer DT just because I think they can affect a higher percentage of plays than DEs who must occupy one side or the other.
3) RB - Derrick Williams was a wasted pick. Kevin Smith is hurt.
4) OG
5) WR/KR - Draft one mid to late. I would have no problem devoting ANY draft pick that occurs after Suh and McCoy are gone to a good cover CB who can return kicks. The Lions get lots of opportunities to return kicks.

My favorite day ever as a Lions fan.

Somehow landing the Ndamo-nator would be the second best day ever.

February 17th, 2010, 12:09 am
RIP Killer

m2karateman wrote:
Cornerback is the teams single biggest need. William James is a free agent, and is hardly adequate as even a #2 CB. Buchanon is more suited to be a #2 corner, and nobody else on the roster is worth sh!t. The team overhauled their complete secondary through free agency (other than Delmas), and they got worse in 2009. They need to take young CBs in the draft, and splurge a bit for a good CB. Adding to the pass rush won't help when opposing QBs are able to take 3 or 5 step drops and immediately release the ball to an open receiver, which is what happens very often.

Do you have any players in mind who would be your ideal targets given the picks that the Lions have?

Joe Haden and Earl Thomas will almost certainly be gone by the time the Lions pick in round two, but guys like Kyle Wilson and Devin McCourty could be available.

Joe Haden is a reach with the second pick. If the Lions were to trade down to the #7 spot or lower, then I would feel comfortable with them taking Haden.

In the second round, I'd say I want the Lions to look at taking Wilson, Robinson or Warren, in that order. Any of those three I would be happy with at the 34th pick....unless Combine results dictate otherwise.

In the third round, if they decide to use their second round pick elsewhere, I would imagine the Lions will be looking at players like Kareem Jackson, maybe Perrish Cox (but I think he's gone in round two), Syd'Quan Thompson, possibly Javier Arenas.

I don't think the Lions should make their first CB pick beyond round three. If I were running the Lions draft, I would most definitely put a premium on the CB position in round two. If a very talented DE falls, like Everson Griffen, then I'd consider passing on a CB to take him, but would definitely try to arrange a trade up into round two from my third round pick position to get a CB who falls in that second stanza.

Having a day between the first round and the second-third round might be an advantage in trying to get teams to make a trade. Of course, it may work against teams as well. With the time constraints, teams have to make their decisions quickly. Some will opt not to trade down, others may feel the pressure and take the deal without considerable thought. It all depends on the nature of the person with the final decision.

February 17th, 2010, 4:16 pm
Water Boy

I think it's interesting how many of you have mentioned cornerback. Joe Haden is definitely the best corner in this class, but #2 is way too early to be picking him.

I think that it's a good possibility that the Lions look to corner with their second pick, though.

Thanks for the insight, everyone!

February 19th, 2010, 1:35 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

To me, it's without question a DT. All corners get exposed if your DL cannot stop the run or get penetration on the QB to disrupt throws and timing.

CB is a need, but it's not as big as stablizing our DL. You get that, and your CBs start looking better right away. It's a tremendous bonus that our biggest need is also the draft's featured players. It's a no brainer IMO.

DT
CB
DE
CB #2
LG
WR
RB

yostevo, while I agree that we have needs along the D front, we at least have a couple players who have shown that are adequate on the defensive line. Sammie Lee Hill got better as the year progressed, and though he isn't a pass rusher, he can help collapse the pocket because few guards/centers can block him one on one. Cliff Avril didn't have a stellar year, but does have the tools to be a pass rusher. Julian Peterson should be moved to DE in obvious passing situations, since I feel he's more effective there than as a linebacker. And Jason Hunter was surprisingly good.

There's not one CB on the Lions roster that is even mediocre by NFL standards. They MUST give 7-10 yards of cushion, because they lack the physicality and the speed to play bump and run. As such, opposing QBs are taking three step or five step drops and hitting their receivers on slants or dig routes. Then, our wonderful starting CBs miss the tackle and it's off to the races.

So, while I agree that upgrading our defensive line should be listed among our off-season "to do" activities, getting corners who can effectively play bump and run to support Gunther Cunningham's blitz packages is what should take the top spot of importance.

Our defensive line is not what's exposing our CBs. It's the lack of talent at that position that is exposing them. You don't allow opposing QBs to complete 70% of their passes because of a bad D-line. That is poor coverage, all the way.

February 19th, 2010, 10:09 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Tim Twentyman: Lions Insider
Lions' draft test will come later

There's been plenty of debate about which defensive tackle will be available to the Lions with the No. 2 pick in the upcoming NFL draft in April.

Ndamukong Suh or Gerald McCoy?

Either one would look good in Honolulu blue and would no doubt have an immediate impact for the worst defense in the league least year.

The real work starts for the Lions in the second and third rounds, which begin the following day.

It's imperative that general manager Martin Mayhew and Co. continue to get value in every round of the draft if they want to make this turnaround project a quick one.

Last year was a great draft for the Lions. Every player drafted played in at least one regular-season game.

When it comes to the Lions' needs, just throw a dart at a dartboard and pick a position.

But their seven biggest needs that correspond with their seven draft picks are:

• Defensive tackle

• Cornerback

• Running back

• Guard

• Defensive end

• Wide receiver

• Tackle

Some, or all, of those needs could be addressed in free agency.

The Lions are sitting in great position to draft one of the top three cornerbacks with their second-round pick. It's believed that Patrick Robinson (Florida State) or Kyle Wilson (Boise State) will be available at the top of the second round.

Wilson was the best corner at the Senior Bowl, a player Lions receivers coach Shawn Jefferson referred to as a "pain in the (end)."

The Lions ranked last in the NFL against the pass last season and picking up a dominant young defensive tackle in the first round, paired with a talented young corner in round two, would be a great start to getting things turned around on that side of the football.

The Lions can address their need for a playmaking running back in the third round with a guy like DeMarco Murray of Oklahoma (4.4 40-yard dash), Joe McKnight of USC (4.45) or Anthony Dixon of Mississippi State (4.5) -- a guy the Lions coaching staff raved about at the Senior Bowl

From The Detroit News: http://www.detnews.com/article/20100219 ... z0g011qoOh

Just wanted to make a quick comment about Tim Twentyman. I agree with most of what he said, but I'm tired of seeing this guy make mistakes in nearly every one of his articles. Did he forget about Murtha when he said that every Lion draft pick played in atleast one game? Does this guy ever check his facts or even have an editor at the News? I wouldn't mind if he made an error every once in a while since everyone's human, but this is starting to get out of hand.

February 19th, 2010, 12:23 pm
Heisman Winner

yostevo wrote:
To me, it's without question a DT. All corners get exposed if your DL cannot stop the run or get penetration on the QB to disrupt throws and timing.

CB is a need, but it's not as big as stablizing our DL. You get that, and your CBs start looking better right away. It's a tremendous bonus that our biggest need is also the draft's featured players. It's a no brainer IMO.

DT
CB
DE
CB #2
LG
WR
RB

yostevo, while I agree that we have needs along the D front, we at least have a couple players who have shown that are adequate on the defensive line. Sammie Lee Hill got better as the year progressed, and though he isn't a pass rusher, he can help collapse the pocket because few guards/centers can block him one on one. Cliff Avril didn't have a stellar year, but does have the tools to be a pass rusher. Julian Peterson should be moved to DE in obvious passing situations, since I feel he's more effective there than as a linebacker. And Jason Hunter was surprisingly good.

There's not one CB on the Lions roster that is even mediocre by NFL standards. They MUST give 7-10 yards of cushion, because they lack the physicality and the speed to play bump and run. As such, opposing QBs are taking three step or five step drops and hitting their receivers on slants or dig routes. Then, our wonderful starting CBs miss the tackle and it's off to the races.

So, while I agree that upgrading our defensive line should be listed among our off-season "to do" activities, getting corners who can effectively play bump and run to support Gunther Cunningham's blitz packages is what should take the top spot of importance.

Our defensive line is not what's exposing our CBs. It's the lack of talent at that position that is exposing them. You don't allow opposing QBs to complete 70% of their passes because of a bad D-line. That is poor coverage, all the way.

While I agree that our CBs are certainly sub-par, I'm a firm believer in the idea that the game is still and always will be won in the trenches. Having said that, I'm not willing to accept a mediocre or just adequate D-linemen. I want/need difference makers. It affects all aspects of the game.

The way to build a team IMO is to get your QB (check) and solidify your lines (unchecked). Then you add the complimentary pieces like CB with high draft picks or via free agency when you've established the essentials and you start winnng some games. Then you are picking in the mid to late first round where you can get some top notch corners to fill out the roster.

February 19th, 2010, 12:57 pm
Team MVP

m2karateman wrote:
yostevo wrote:

DT
CB
DE
CB #2
LG
WR
RB

While I agree that our CBs are certainly sub-par, I'm a firm believer in the idea that the game is still and always will be won in the trenches. Having said that, I'm not willing to accept a mediocre or just adequate D-linemen. I want/need difference makers. It affects all aspects of the game.

The way to build a team IMO is to get your QB (check) and solidify your lines (unchecked). Then you add the complimentary pieces like CB with high draft picks or via free agency when you've established the essentials and you start winnng some games. Then you are picking in the mid to late first round where you can get some top notch corners to fill out the roster.

I agree with you Yostevo. And besides the point of our corners not being able to cover, getting a solid D-tackle will help our run defense....you know, the other part that we CANT stop. Remember the Baltimore game? Ya we need corners, but unless we trade down, we're picking at #2! We aint gonna pick a corner right there. If we can somehow get Kyle Wilson in the 2nd, id be happy. Doubt it'll happen, but ya never know.

February 19th, 2010, 1:14 pm
Heisman Winner

yostevo wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
yostevo wrote:

DT
CB
DE
CB #2
LG
WR
RB

I agree with you Yostevo. And besides the point of our corners not being able to cover, getting a solid D-tackle will help our run defense....you know, the other part that we CANT stop. Remember the Baltimore game? Ya we need corners, but unless we trade down, we're picking at #2! We aint gonna pick a corner right there. If we can somehow get Kyle Wilson in the 2nd, id be happy. Doubt it'll happen, but ya never know.
I think you make a good point indirectly there in that you can find some quality CBs in the mid/late 1st round and early second. You don't typically find really good DTs in that range because teams know the importance, and emphasize it early in drafts. Even if they are reaching at times. Which we certainly are not.

February 19th, 2010, 1:24 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

1.McCoy
2.McCourty(I have a feeling that Kyle Wilson will be gone and I think you all feel it too)
3.Myron Rolle/Joiqe Bell
4.Joique Bell/Myron Rolle

And I really hope we try to splurge on Julius Peppers and luck out with a decent CB within the organization. We need alot to go right for us this year

February 19th, 2010, 4:53 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Would anyone do this
1.McCoy
2.McCourty(I have a feeling that Kyle Wilson will be gone and I think you all feel it too)
3.Myron Rolle/Joiqe Bell
4.Joique Bell/Myron Rolle

And I really hope we try to splurge on Julius Peppers and luck out with a decent CB within the organization. We need alot to go right for us this year

I like the way it started in the 1st and 2nd, I think we could do better than Myron Rolle/Joiqe Bell in the following 2 rounds.

February 19th, 2010, 5:13 pm
RIP Killer

Let's get something straight here guys...the question is what is the Lions greatest need. I believe that it is CB, above anything else. However, I NEVER said that the Lions should take a CB in the first round, did I.....DID I?? No, I think not. It is a foregone conclusion that, unless the Lions get an overwhelming deal to trade out, they will be taking a defensive tackle in the first round. So, at that point, we have our defensive line addressed for the time being.

As the Tim Twentyman article pointed out, it isn't about what the Lions will do in round one, that is already pretty much a given. It is about what they will do in the next rounds that are to be scrutinized. If the Lions were to take a defensive end in round two, a running back in round three and a guard in round four, this team, despite making numerous improvements along the lines and at a critical skill position will continue to lose games by the bushel because they won't be able to cover squat. I have told you, that opposing offenses were eliminating any effective rush by using three and five step drops to quickly fire the ball into receivers who were wide open because our CBs give too much cushion because they suck. Our blitzes are effectively nullified because our CBs suck. Our defensive line, and all the quality added won't make a difference because our CBs suck. Our improved running game won't make a difference because while it may take our offense six minutes to score our opposition will be able to score in less than two minutes, at will, because our CBs suck.

I agree that winning the game STARTS with the trench war. But that isn't the only battle you need to address.

I will go so far as to say this....with the CBs this team has on hand, you can address every other need on this team via free agency and the draft, effectively, and Schwartz would be lucky to get four wins next season. LUCKY! This is a game that has been morphed into a league of passing dominance, and unless you get some players who can cover opposing receivers in the bump and run, or man to man, your chances are slim and none to win games.

The pass rush is but a component of a good defense. But quick three and five step drops can ONLY be addressed by having effective COVERAGE. The pass rush won't matter. And if you go back and look at some of the Lions games in 2009, you'll see teams that, when they wanted or needed to score, did just that. And did the Lions bring their corners up into bump and run when that was happening? No. Why? Because they SUCK!

February 19th, 2010, 5:24 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Let's get something straight here guys...the question is what is the Lions greatest need. I believe that it is CB, above anything else. However, I NEVER said that the Lions should take a CB in the first round, did I.....DID I?? No, I think not. It is a foregone conclusion that, unless the Lions get an overwhelming deal to trade out, they will be taking a defensive tackle in the first round. So, at that point, we have our defensive line addressed for the time being.

As the Tim Twentyman article pointed out, it isn't about what the Lions will do in round one, that is already pretty much a given. It is about what they will do in the next rounds that are to be scrutinized. If the Lions were to take a defensive end in round two, a running back in round three and a guard in round four, this team, despite making numerous improvements along the lines and at a critical skill position will continue to lose games by the bushel because they won't be able to cover squat. I have told you, that opposing offenses were eliminating any effective rush by using three and five step drops to quickly fire the ball into receivers who were wide open because our CBs give too much cushion because they suck. Our blitzes are effectively nullified because our CBs suck. Our defensive line, and all the quality added won't make a difference because our CBs suck. Our improved running game won't make a difference because while it may take our offense six minutes to score our opposition will be able to score in less than two minutes, at will, because our CBs suck.

I agree that winning the game STARTS with the trench war. But that isn't the only battle you need to address.

I will go so far as to say this....with the CBs this team has on hand, you can address every other need on this team via free agency and the draft, effectively, and Schwartz would be lucky to get four wins next season. LUCKY! This is a game that has been morphed into a league of passing dominance, and unless you get some players who can cover opposing receivers in the bump and run, or man to man, your chances are slim and none to win games.

The pass rush is but a component of a good defense. But quick three and five step drops can ONLY be addressed by having effective COVERAGE. The pass rush won't matter. And if you go back and look at some of the Lions games in 2009, you'll see teams that, when they wanted or needed to score, did just that. And did the Lions bring their corners up into bump and run when that was happening? No. Why? Because they SUCK!

Great post m2k, I agree with you, addressing the deficiencies at CB are paramount. Even if they draft CB's in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds they may not win more than 4 games next season. The Lions say they will go BPA, but I find it hard to believe they will not put a premium on taking at least one corner in the first four rounds.

February 19th, 2010, 6:14 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I think it is also important to note that the question was what is the biggest need, not who will make the biggest impact.

February 19th, 2010, 8:10 pm
Team MVP

You prove a very good point. The only thing I can say to that is, this process of making this team good is going to take time, obviously.

One good reason - the cornerback issue.

We are in position right now to address one of our biggest needs (The biggest in my opinion), which is defensive tackle. And all signs point to us addressing that with Suh or McCoy (hopefully Suh). This is most likely happening because of us picking at #2.

But because we are picking at #2, it gives us almost no oppurtunity to take a top notch corner, unless we reached. Then we get to the second round, and who can we get there? Yes, we can probably get a slight upgrade to what we have now. But can we get a high quality CB there? Maybe. Of course Millen could never find one.

So guys, it is more than obvious that we need a corner, but at the position we are picking, are hands are tied. Thats why im one of the few who believe that if Kyle Wilson is there at 23 or below, we should trade up. What other chances are we going to get????? Do we want Patrick Robinson? Not me.

Its pretty much now or never, anyone agree? We either keep starting old, washed up corners...or we act now and get a quality corner...FOR ONCE!

Hows this look.......1. Suh/McCoy 2. Kyle Wilson (traded up to get him) Then whatever they draft after that.

If we dont do SOMETHING this April to get at least one SOLID corner, we're gonna be picking top 4 probably again next year, which again is way too high for a corner.

Any thoughts?

February 19th, 2010, 10:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next