View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 3:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Dream draft scenarios. 
Team MVP

m2karateman wrote:
OK, but here's my problem. I know this is a "dream draft scenario", but there's no way Seattle makes a deal with Detroit instead of Tampa Bay to move up and get Bradford or Clausen. Neither is good enough, Seattle has greater needs, and they wouldn't trade up higher than they would have to.

They would trade with us if we convinced them Washington was trying to get our pick so They could take Bradford. That would make Tampa's pick a day late and a dollar short.

edited to add:
I also don't buy the argument that Clausen and Bradford aren't good enough. Everyone said the same crap last year. And we got 3 good QB's in the 1st round that are going to be good, productive QB's in the NFL for the next decade. When it comes to QB's, I really think people are overly critical. They slow the film down to frame by frame and pick every movement apart. But, they forget to watch at full speed at what actually happened in real time in a real game. If I were a betting man, I would lay odds that there will be 3, maybe 4 really good QB's in this years draft.

Yeah I dont buy it either. I dont care what the analysts say, I still to this day believe there is no way the Rams pass on a quarterback with their #1 pick.

February 26th, 2010, 4:24 pm
RIP Killer

m2karateman wrote:
OK, but here's my problem. I know this is a "dream draft scenario", but there's no way Seattle makes a deal with Detroit instead of Tampa Bay to move up and get Bradford or Clausen. Neither is good enough, Seattle has greater needs, and they wouldn't trade up higher than they would have to.

They would trade with us if we convinced them Washington was trying to get our pick so They could take Bradford. That would make Tampa's pick a day late and a dollar short.

edited to add:
I also don't buy the argument that Clausen and Bradford aren't good enough. Everyone said the same crap last year. And we got 3 good QB's in the 1st round that are going to be good, productive QB's in the NFL for the next decade. When it comes to QB's, I really think people are overly critical. They slow the film down to frame by frame and pick every movement apart. But, they forget to watch at full speed at what actually happened in real time in a real game. If I were a betting man, I would lay odds that there will be 3, maybe 4 really good QB's in this years draft.

First, why would Washington be trying to trade with us rather than TB? Now, if TB already made a deal with Washington, that would be different. But we aren't dealing with a bunch of morons here. Washington won't do a deal with TB until the Bucs are on the clock and are ASSURED that the player they want is available. However, if TB moves up to #1, THEN you have a possible scenario where Seattle taps us on the shoulder to do a trade to get ahead of St. Louis AND Washington. At that point, Seattle might bite on Washington offering a deal.

But that's a lot of ifs.......

Secondly....the three QBs you mention from last season all have something that neither Clausen nor Bradford have.....strong arms. Sanchez has the weakest arm of the three, and I believe he can still rifle the ball better than either Bradford or Clausen. And Freeman was taken 17th, so he shouldn't even be part of the discussion. When you are looking at a QB in the top three, I believe you want them to possess things that can't be taught, like good to great arm strength, quick release, possibly some decent foot speed, and the ability to break down plays quickly. You can teach a QB to read a defense, but the speed at which they do it can't be taught, that's up to the individuals cognizant ability.

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't believe arm strength is everything, but both these guys have some things that are major red flags. Bradford hasn't played in a pro style offense, and that takes some getting used to. He's not Vince Young, so he can't just run away from defenders when things break down in front of him working from under center to extend plays, which is what VY was able to do his rookie season. Clausen has some personality traits that could turn some teams off. It's important for a QB to interact well with his team, and Clausen was said to have problems with other players AND coaches at ND. That's not a good sign. Swagger is one thing, but arrogance is quite another. Arrogance of that nature won't be accepted or followed very well.

Lastly, Stafford, Sanchez and Freeman haven't proven squat yet. None of the three had a "light 'em up" season, but have shown a certain level of promise. Promises can die on the vine, we all know that.

For all any of us know, the Rams coaching staff and front office may feel that they have something worth working with in Kyle Boller, or feel that Bulger can last year another season until the new CBA comes out. This IS a business, and that decision could be affected by that nature of the business.

I'm not saying that the Rams won't take a QB, and I'm not saying that they will. What I'm saying is that you can't be sure either way, and that neither of the QBs available to them really thrill me with their talents.

February 26th, 2010, 5:11 pm
QB Coach

STL takes Bradford leaving both DT's on the board. Tampa covets one more than the other and decides to trade with us. We get their second second round pick (#42). Seattle covets Okung and is afraid of the Skins taking him at 4. So they trade and give us #6 and #14 for #3 to take him. The Skins at 4 take either Claussen or the next LT and the Browns at 5 take either Berry or Hayden. At 6 that leaves us one of the DT's and either Berry or Hayden. At 14 we take BPA and then use #34 and our third rounder to move back into the late first for Kyle Wilson. At 42 we bolster our o-line with the top guard on the board and in the 4th we land a RB.

#6: Suh/McCoy/Hayden/Berry
#14: BPA
#22ish: Wilson
#42 Guard

February 28th, 2010, 2:03 pm
RIP Killer

Not going to happen but it's a dream:

STL takes Bradford leaving both DT's on the board. Tampa covets one more than the other and decides to trade with us. We get their second second round pick (#42). Seattle covets Okung and is afraid of the Skins taking him at 4. So they trade and give us #6 and #14 for #3 to take him. The Skins at 4 take either Claussen or the next LT and the Browns at 5 take either Berry or Hayden. At 6 that leaves us one of the DT's and either Berry or Hayden. At 14 we take BPA and then use #34 and our third rounder to move back into the late first for Kyle Wilson. At 42 we bolster our o-line with the top guard on the board and in the 4th we land a RB.

#6: Suh/McCoy/Hayden/Berry
#14: BPA
#22ish: Wilson
#42 Guard

KC is at #5, not Cleveland. They would likely take either Berry or McClain.

The rest of it would be freakin' awesome.

Take Suh at #6 (although I think some team would trade up to get him with KC), then take Earl Thomas or Trent Williams at #14 (I think Williams could be our starting LG for now, then replace Gosder Cherilus when his contract is up because he flat out sucks), then take Wilson at #22 and at #42 I'd look at someone like a Corey Wootton or another corner like Perrish Cox or Kareem Jackson. We could even consider an RB like Anthony Dixon there.

February 28th, 2010, 3:21 pm
Team MVP

Considering we desperately need a #2 WR, what does anyone think of Jacoby Ford? Seems like a good route runner, and is super fast. Think he'd be a good fit in Detroit? And if so, what round could he be available in?

February 28th, 2010, 10:19 pm
RIP Killer

Considering we desperately need a #2 WR, what does anyone think of Jacoby Ford? Seems like a good route runner, and is super fast. Think he'd be a good fit in Detroit? And if so, what round could he be available in?

I would love to see the Lions get a pure speed slot receiver. Northcutt isn't really fast enough. Neither is Williams. Ford, McCluster or Golden Tate really fit the bill. I think Tate is going to be a late round one to mid round two pick. McCluster is a late second to mid third rounder. Ford, however, might be available in round four.

My problem is, the Lions have far more critical needs to address. Now, if somehow Ford slips into the top of round five, I'd say the Lions should take him.

February 28th, 2010, 11:04 pm
Team MVP

I think if the Lions trade a 5th round pick for Cromartie, I would consider taking Ford as high as the 4th I think. Like it or not, its pretty important we keep Calvin Johnson happy.

February 28th, 2010, 11:07 pm
RIP Killer

I think if the Lions trade a 5th round pick for Cromartie, I would consider taking Ford as high as the 4th I think. Like it or not, its pretty important we keep Calvin Johnson happy.

The problem is Ford is not built to be a #2 receiver, but is purely a slot receiver.

What would make CJ happy, in reality, is to get a solid LG, then a RB that hits the hole with authority and gives the Lions a genuine threat to get five or six yards a carry one in a while. I can't count how many times KSmith was dancing around when he should have hit the hole. It was there, not a huge hole, but there was room for him. It closed up quickly as he was doing his Arthur Murray imitation in the backfield. Even he admitted he was apprehensive.

I think if the Lions don't take a RB in rounds 1-3, they need to take one in round four over Ford. I like Anthony Dixon for the role, or LeGarrette Blount. I think Dixon will be gone by that pick, but I think Blount might be available and the Lions would be idiots to pass him over.

February 28th, 2010, 11:15 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

While I like Jacoby Ford, I agree with M2K that he is more of a slot receiver. I still believe that the Lions want a bigger #2 WR to play outside and that they intend to try Aaron Brown out in the slot. I could be wrong about that, but they seemed to be doing an awful lot of that late in the season for it to be just a gimmick.

March 1st, 2010, 10:54 am
RIP Killer

While I like Jacoby Ford, I agree with M2K that he is more of a slot receiver. I still believe that the Lions want a bigger #2 WR to play outside and that they intend to try Aaron Brown out in the slot. I could be wrong about that, but they seemed to be doing an awful lot of that late in the season for it to be just a gimmick.

I agree. When Brown's position was listed in the draft, some analysts had him as a receiver rather than a running back because of his slight frame and speed. I think those analysts had the right idea. Brown should be used as a receiver first, with occasional forays into the backfield, ala Percy Harvin. If the Lions do make that move, then there's no need to draft Ford. At that point, I'd like the Lions to look for a player who can be the #2 receiver, like a Carlton Mitchell or Marcus Easley.

March 1st, 2010, 11:03 am
Team MVP

kdsberman wrote:

The problem is Ford is not built to be a #2 receiver, but is purely a slot receiver.

What would make CJ happy, in reality, is to get a solid LG, then a RB that hits the hole with authority and gives the Lions a genuine threat to get five or six yards a carry one in a while. I can't count how many times KSmith was dancing around when he should have hit the hole. It was there, not a huge hole, but there was room for him. It closed up quickly as he was doing his Arthur Murray imitation in the backfield. Even he admitted he was apprehensive.

I think if the Lions don't take a RB in rounds 1-3, they need to take one in round four over Ford. I like Anthony Dixon for the role, or LeGarrette Blount. I think Dixon will be gone by that pick, but I think Blount might be available and the Lions would be idiots to pass him over.

Arent the Lions looking for some more speed out of a RB? If im not mistaken, Dixon ran around a 4.6 forty yesterday.

March 1st, 2010, 12:24 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

What about Joe McKnight out of USC as a late round RB? If he is still on the board in the 4th round, I would take him. He was the #1 rated player out of high school just 3 years ago and can stop/start like Reggie Bush and hits the hole pretty good. I think a lot of people are sleeping on him.

Tim

March 1st, 2010, 3:57 pm
RIP Killer

What about Joe McKnight out of USC as a late round RB? If he is still on the board in the 4th round, I would take him. He was the #1 rated player out of high school just 3 years ago and can stop/start like Reggie Bush and hits the hole pretty good. I think a lot of people are sleeping on him.

Joe McKnight will probably go late second to mid third round. He has quite a bit of talent, and the indiscretions he had at USC probably won't scare anyone away. Some analysts have him as their fourth or fifth rated RB, behind Spiller, Matthews, Best and maybe Dwyer.

kdsberman wrote:

Arent the Lions looking for some more speed out of a RB? If im not mistaken, Dixon ran around a 4.6 forty yesterday.

I don't know that they are looking for straight line speed as much as they are someone who hits the hole quickly. Dixon has the size to break arm tackles, something Smith doesn't do very well. He also moves the pile, yet another thing you barely ever see Kevin Smith doing.

I don't know what happened between 2008 and 2009, but Smith changed. He became hesitant. Whether he's thinking too much or lost his nerve, I don't know. I just know he's not running with authority any longer. Dixon or Blount are flat out loads who will get positive yardage on drive and size alone. If we want a home run hitter out of the backfield, then give Aaron Brown another shot, or find out where Tristan Davis went and get him back into a Lions uniform.

March 1st, 2010, 10:34 pm
Heisman Winner

My original scenario had Ryan Matthews in rd 2. I think that is likely not going to be an option. Perhaps it might shake out more like Hardesty in rd 3 or Tate in rd 4. The good part about Best or Matthews climbing into round 1 is that some linemen or DBs will slide to the Lions #2 pick. Sine they need everything, it might turn out OK if Patrick Robinson or Kyle Wilson is sitting there at rd 2

March 1st, 2010, 11:12 pm
RIP Killer

My original scenario had Ryan Matthews in rd 2. I think that is likely not going to be an option. Perhaps it might shake out more like Hardesty in rd 3 or Tate in rd 4. The good part about Best or Matthews climbing into round 1 is that some linemen or DBs will slide to the Lions #2 pick. Sine they need everything, it might turn out OK if Patrick Robinson or Kyle Wilson is sitting there at rd 2

Ben Tate has begun to really intrigue me. He had a pretty good showing at the Senior Bowl practices, from what I recall. Top that with the fact that he has some top end speed, and is capable of running with some power and he might be a player worth selecting in round four, or moving up to get in the midst of round three.

March 2nd, 2010, 10:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next