View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 22nd, 2014, 11:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Dream draft scenarios. 
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Yeah I am really starting to think that even if we can trade down, it might not be a good idea to pass on a guy like Ndamukong Suh. Yes, we did upgrade the D-line, but it isnt anywhere near "great". We should still draft Suh to further upgrade it. That, too, will benefit KVB.

Before free agency started, i would be all against trading up, but I also never would have thought that the Lions would actually sign quality players. So now, I guess i wouldnt be against trading up to get Wilson, depending on what we would have to give up. I mean, Wilson really does look good.

I really do not want us to trade up. I think that either Wilson, McCourty, Kareem Jackson, or Perrish cox will be there who can all become starters. Besides, I expect us to bypass drafting a CB and take the best available RB.

March 9th, 2010, 12:25 pm
RIP Killer

Yeah I am really starting to think that even if we can trade down, it might not be a good idea to pass on a guy like Ndamukong Suh. Yes, we did upgrade the D-line, but it isnt anywhere near "great". We should still draft Suh to further upgrade it. That, too, will benefit KVB.

But I have a question...if you're the Lions, do you try and trade up to get Kyle Wilson, whose rated as the 2nd best CB, or do you stay put at #34 and take a lesser quality CB?

Before free agency started, i would be all against trading up, but I also never would have thought that the Lions would actually sign quality players. So now, I guess i wouldnt be against trading up to get Wilson, depending on what we would have to give up. I mean, Wilson really does look good.

If Wilson is still sitting on the board at #29 when the Jets are picking, I have to think about trading up to get him. I don't think he slides by Minnesota. If the Lions stand pat, and the Vikings decide to go with a different player, I think the Lions can let Wilson fall to them, unless they think another team will trade up with Indy, Norleans or the Rams.

I would be pretty pissed if the Lions passed over a CB in round two for a running back. I don't think Best, Dwyer or Gerhardt are worth the #34 pick, at all. If they can trade down from 34 and pick up an extra third or fourth rounder, then I'd consider it to be OK, but only if they take a CB.

In the second round, there is a wealth of CBs worth those picks. The RB value starts to really hit in the third round.

Of course, it's my belief that the Lions should get an OG somewhere between the second and fourth rounds, as well as trying to get a CB and possibly consider a LB somewhere in there. We are awfully thin at LB, what with Foote leaving, Cody Spencer getting axed and nothing much to speak of behind our starters and Follett. Ciurciu never really has thrilled me. Plus the Lions can still use another safety, and I wouldn't mind seeing them draft a DE somewhere as well.

Still lotsa needs, both starters and depth.

March 9th, 2010, 3:59 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

kdsberman wrote:

But I have a question...if you're the Lions, do you try and trade up to get Kyle Wilson, whose rated as the 2nd best CB, or do you stay put at #34 and take a lesser quality CB?

If Wilson is still sitting on the board at #29 when the Jets are picking, I have to think about trading up to get him. I don't think he slides by Minnesota. If the Lions stand pat, and the Vikings decide to go with a different player, I think the Lions can let Wilson fall to them, unless they think another team will trade up with Indy, Norleans or the Rams.

I would be pretty pissed if the Lions passed over a CB in round two for a running back. I don't think Best, Dwyer or Gerhardt are worth the #34 pick, at all. If they can trade down from 34 and pick up an extra third or fourth rounder, then I'd consider it to be OK, but only if they take a CB.

In the second round, there is a wealth of CBs worth those picks. The RB value starts to really hit in the third round.

Of course, it's my belief that the Lions should get an OG somewhere between the second and fourth rounds, as well as trying to get a CB and possibly consider a LB somewhere in there. We are awfully thin at LB, what with Foote leaving, Cody Spencer getting axed and nothing much to speak of behind our starters and Follett. Ciurciu never really has thrilled me. Plus the Lions can still use another safety, and I wouldn't mind seeing them draft a DE somewhere as well.

Agree, lotsa needs, but not enough picks. Starting caliber players generally come in the first 4 rounds. We have 4 picks. It would not surprise me to see the corners (Wison and McCourty) we covet already gone at 34. I've seen Kareem Jackson rated this high. He's a press corner. But do the Lions rate him that high? I don't think trading up is even a consideration. I believe Mayhew prefers to let the draft come to him. So we will get 4 potential starters, I feel two of those spots will be DT and RB. I'm not saying it will be a RB at 34. But if the top corners are indeed gone, I'm curious of who the Lions would be looking at with their pick. Pouncey could be there. Can he play LG? Is there any DE's worthy of this spot? What about LB's? Spikes and Washington probably will still be available. We are thin at LB. Is Peterson safe? Is he the next to get the axe?

March 10th, 2010, 12:46 am
RIP Killer

m2karateman wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

Agree, lotsa needs, but not enough picks. Starting caliber players generally come in the first 4 rounds. We have 4 picks. It would not surprise me to see the corners (Wison and McCourty) we covet already gone at 34. I've seen Kareem Jackson rated this high. He's a press corner. But do the Lions rate him that high? I don't think trading up is even a consideration. I believe Mayhew prefers to let the draft come to him. So we will get 4 potential starters, I feel two of those spots will be DT and RB. I'm not saying it will be a RB at 34. But if the top corners are indeed gone, I'm curious of who the Lions would be looking at with their pick. Pouncey could be there. Can he play LG? Is there any DE's worthy of this spot? What about LB's? Spikes and Washington probably will still be available. We are thin at LB. Is Peterson safe? Is he the next to get the axe?

Pouncey can play just about any position along the line, which is just one reason why he is so coveted. Despite their pickup of Andy Alleman, I think the Colts take him over anybody else at 31 if he's there. However, it's entirely possible that another team ahead of Indy will select him.

If we trade down in the second round just a few spots, we can easily pick up an extra fourth rounder. Then, in essence, we will have five picks that can garner us starters. In my book, if Wilson and McCourty are off the board, the Lions would be foolish to NOT trade down if there are offers. In the middle of that round, they can get Robinson, Jackson or Ghee, all of whom are better than anyone we have now. Getting extra picks in a draft this deep increases your chances of getting another starter.

However, if there is a really good DE that falls to #34, I'd take him. Or, I might be willing to move down some and take Corey Wootton. I don't trust Avril to stay healthy as a starter opposite Vandenbosch throughout the season, and beyond him we have Jason Hunter and.....??? We need someone else of quality.

March 10th, 2010, 9:06 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

liontrax wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

Pouncey can play just about any position along the line, which is just one reason why he is so coveted. Despite their pickup of Andy Alleman, I think the Colts take him over anybody else at 31 if he's there. However, it's entirely possible that another team ahead of Indy will select him.

If we trade down in the second round just a few spots, we can easily pick up an extra fourth rounder. Then, in essence, we will have five picks that can garner us starters. In my book, if Wilson and McCourty are off the board, the Lions would be foolish to NOT trade down if there are offers. In the middle of that round, they can get Robinson, Jackson or Ghee, all of whom are better than anyone we have now. Getting extra picks in a draft this deep increases your chances of getting another starter.

However, if there is a really good DE that falls to #34, I'd take him. Or, I might be willing to move down some and take Corey Wootton. I don't trust Avril to stay healthy as a starter opposite Vandenbosch throughout the season, and beyond him we have Jason Hunter and.....??? We need someone else of quality.

I have to admit you have opened my eyes on the possibility of Pouncey. I have gone back and re-evaluated, checked his status on value boards. Found that he is considered a late 1 to early 2. I believe the reason he is valued so high is his ability to play multiple positions, as well as being considered the top center. I realize the need for a LG candidate, but don't know if there are any guards in this draft that have the ability to step in and play from day one without being a liability. I would hope that the Lions are looking for someone who has played LG for the last couple of years and so would be familiar with the positions requirements, if they think they can get by playing a rookie there. Actually I expect them to draft one to develop (3rd to 5th rounds), while signing a FA to man the spot for now.

The availability of a top corner at 34, to me, is looking less likely (hope I'm wrong). The Chargers, Vikings, Colts and Jets could be looking at CB's at the end of the 1st. Chargers could be looking at one because of the trade to the Jets. The Jets got one, but released two. Vikings had one get injured. The Colts released one. All four of these teams could be looking at corner at the end of the first. OK, I know speculation, but it could be the run on corners at the end of the 1st.

If the Lions are stuck at 34, the CB's are gone and don't get a good enough offer to move down, I am perplexed over where they spend the pick. The more I look at talent boards (who knows how accurate those are), unless someone slips out of the 1st, what are the options? I realize Best might be a risky option, but we do need a back. I've read where the Lions would like to get a RB with game breaking speed. Is this a smokescreen? Would they actually prefer a power back? If so, there will be some there in the 3rd and 4th. Is Charlie Brown (LT-USC) a consideration at 34? Good value there and can play LG till he's ready to assume LT.

March 12th, 2010, 10:36 am
RIP Killer

1. Jahvid Best - If I'm the Lions, I don't take him at #34. Why? Because in my eyes he relies on that speed, and in the NFL that speed doesn't make him all that special. If we had a really good offensive line, then great, draft him. But our RB will have to be someone who can hit the hole with some power and burst, and at least half the time be able to move the pile somewhat. Best relies to heavily on being elusive. The Lions FO and coaches have said they want a POWER running game. Best doesn't fit that. We have a speed back already. Get someone with more balls than KSmith, who seemed scared last season.

2. Charles Brown - I believe he will be taken in the first round. I don't know that Seattle takes him at #14, like some folks have predicted. But I think he doesn't get pushed into round two. I have him rated higher than Anthony Davis right now.

3. Anthony Davis - I think his recent actions have dropped him out of round one contention. He was an a$$hole during team interviews and all the athletic talent in the world isn't going to do you any good if you can't get the guy to perform at 100%. He has mucho maturity issues, and there's no guarantee that he'll grow up soon. Just ask Ben Roesthlisberger.

4. If, by some twist of fate Kyle Wilson, Devin McCourty, Maurkice Pouncey and all the top DEs are off the board at the time of the #34 pick, then the Lions need to strongly consider a trade down. If not, the next best thing is to simply go BPA regardless of position. Even if that means taking a Colt McCoy or a high rated QB. At that point we can make a deal later in the year to trade him for a 1st round pick in 2011. I wouldn't be thrilled, but I could accept that rate of return.

My top players for consideration at #34 (in order of preference):

Kyle Wilson
Maurkice Pouncey
Devin McCourty
Everson Griffen
Ricky Sapp
Patrick Robinson
Vladmir Ducasse
Perrish Cox
Jerry Hughes
Colt McCoy
Dominique Franks
Brandon Ghee
Nate Allen
Chris Cook

Mind you, I am not saying if any one of these is available I would jump at the chance to take them. If none of the top five are there, I would look to trade down first. If Wilson, Pouncey, McCourty, Griffen or Sapp are there, I pick them without hesitation. If I can't find a trade partner, then I'd consider one of the remaining players on the list.

March 12th, 2010, 2:11 pm
Pop Warner Allstar

I will admit I don’t have the knowledge of football that most of you do. I have had a few questions that I wanted to ask. I believe last year it was Cleveland who traded down a couple of times and picked up players and extra picks. If the Lions have this chance should this be something we should do and trade down a couple of times? I mainly ask this because I know how much we need talent but would it be something that would help us more than hurt us on passing on more talented players? I know we are not one or two players away from being competitive. I am also talking extremes of moving down to around pick 11-15 with multiple trades. To pick up extra second and third rounders and perhaps an extra first round next year. Would this help or hurt the lions more? I am also assuming that the Lions will not get equal value for trading back either because of how known it is we want to trade back.

If the Lion’s can’t trade back with the uncapped year are we allowed to front load the contract of our draft picks or did they make rules to stop teams from doing this?

March 22nd, 2010, 11:18 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I will admit I don’t have the knowledge of football that most of you do. I have had a few questions that I wanted to ask. I believe last year it was Cleveland who traded down a couple of times and picked up players and extra picks. If the Lions have this chance should this be something we should do and trade down a couple of times? I mainly ask this because I know how much we need talent but would it be something that would help us more than hurt us on passing on more talented players? I know we are not one or two players away from being competitive. I am also talking extremes of moving down to around pick 11-15 with multiple trades. To pick up extra second and third rounders and perhaps an extra first round next year. Would this help or hurt the lions more? I am also assuming that the Lions will not get equal value for trading back either because of how known it is we want to trade back.

If the Lion’s can’t trade back with the uncapped year are we allowed to front load the contract of our draft picks or did they make rules to stop teams from doing this?

There are others who understand the cap much better than I so I'll let them answer that part of your question.

In theory, trading back is a great idea for the precise reason you cite--the Lions have a lot of holes to fill so gaining some extra picks would be a good thing even if it means missing out on a top-tier player at the top of the draft. The problem, as you probably know, is that another team has to want to trade up and has to be willing to part with multiple picks in order to do so--plus they would be taking on that huge contract of the #2 pick. Historically, teams only make a big trade up into the top 10 if they are after a QB (like the Jets last year). It is possible that someone will fall in love with Suh and want to trade up to get him but the best case scenario for a trade down would be if the Rams passed on a QB so that Bradford is available when the Lions are on the clock.

If there is a trading partner, I believe a trade down in exchange for extra picks would be tremendously beneficial. If the Lions draft as well this year as they did last year, some of those extra picks would likely become starters.

March 22nd, 2010, 12:55 pm
RIP Killer

Both Cleveland and New England traded back twice last season in the first round. Cleveland originally had the 5th pick, traded back with the Jets to the 17th pick, then the Brownies traded back again to the 19th pick swapping with Tampa Bay, who took QB Josh Freeman (I'm sure the Browns are pissed they didn't make that pick now). Finally, the Browns swapped spots with Philly at 21. So, the Browns went from the fifth pick in the draft to the 21st, and in return got the following:

2nd rounder in 2009 (#52)
DE Kenyon Coleman
SS Abram Elam
QB Brett Ratliff
6th round in 2009 (#191)

What's really interesting is that when the Browns swapped with Philly, they received no compensation. No picks, no players, no nothing.

The Patriots likewise traded down in the first round, until they were completely out of it. They traded the #23 pick to the Ravens for #26 and a fifth rounder (#162). They then traded those same two picks to Green Bay, who sent the Pats their #41, #73, and #83 picks. Basically, a second and two third rounders for a first and fifth. New England then traded up in round two, giving Oakland their #47, #124 and #199 in exchange for the #40 pick, which they used to take DT Ron Brace.

In essence, it's nearly impossible to trade out of the top five picks. Last seasons exchange between Cleveland and the Jets was a rarity in the salary cap era with inflated rookie contracts. The Lions are not in an enviable position when it comes to trading down. It will depend solely on who is there, and what another team will be willing to give up in order to make the trade. If Tampa Bay is really desperate to get Suh, they might make a switch and give up a third rounder, at best. I don't see them giving up any more beyond that. I don't think any other teams in the top ten are likely to pull the trigger on a deal. If Suh is off the board, then Tampa Bay is in a good trade position, but not the Lions. The only way the Lions are able to make a deal is if some team is after Sam Bradford, is calling the Bucs to make a deal, and they aren't answering their phones, which would indicate they already have a deal pending with another team. At that point the interested team would have to go to the next in line.

I would love to see the Lions be able to trade down a couple times, get into the 10-15 range, pick up a couple picks in the second and third rounds for their troubles, and take the BPA at their spot. Haden, Morgan, Dan Williams, Earl Thomas, Trent Williams......I'd be happy with any of them. The true value of this draft, much like last seasons, is going to be in the second and third rounds. Much like last year, where the Lions picked up two starters, they could pick up starters in those rounds just as easily in this coming draft, at any one of a number of positions.

March 22nd, 2010, 1:17 pm
QB Coach

Darb27 wrote:

Both Cleveland and New England traded back twice last season in the first round. Cleveland originally had the 5th pick, traded back with the Jets to the 17th pick, then the Brownies traded back again to the 19th pick swapping with Tampa Bay, who took QB Josh Freeman (I'm sure the Browns are pissed they didn't make that pick now). Finally, the Browns swapped spots with Philly at 21. So, the Browns went from the fifth pick in the draft to the 21st, and in return got the following:

2nd rounder in 2009 (#52)
DE Kenyon Coleman
SS Abram Elam
QB Brett Ratliff
6th round in 2009 (#191)

What's really interesting is that when the Browns swapped with Philly, they received no compensation. No picks, no players, no nothing.

The Patriots likewise traded down in the first round, until they were completely out of it. They traded the #23 pick to the Ravens for #26 and a fifth rounder (#162). They then traded those same two picks to Green Bay, who sent the Pats their #41, #73, and #83 picks. Basically, a second and two third rounders for a first and fifth. New England then traded up in round two, giving Oakland their #47, #124 and #199 in exchange for the #40 pick, which they used to take DT Ron Brace.

In essence, it's nearly impossible to trade out of the top five picks. Last seasons exchange between Cleveland and the Jets was a rarity in the salary cap era with inflated rookie contracts. The Lions are not in an enviable position when it comes to trading down. It will depend solely on who is there, and what another team will be willing to give up in order to make the trade. If Tampa Bay is really desperate to get Suh, they might make a switch and give up a third rounder, at best. I don't see them giving up any more beyond that. I don't think any other teams in the top ten are likely to pull the trigger on a deal. If Suh is off the board, then Tampa Bay is in a good trade position, but not the Lions. The only way the Lions are able to make a deal is if some team is after Sam Bradford, is calling the Bucs to make a deal, and they aren't answering their phones, which would indicate they already have a deal pending with another team. At that point the interested team would have to go to the next in line.

I would love to see the Lions be able to trade down a couple times, get into the 10-15 range, pick up a couple picks in the second and third rounds for their troubles, and take the BPA at their spot. Haden, Morgan, Dan Williams, Earl Thomas, Trent Williams......I'd be happy with any of them. The true value of this draft, much like last seasons, is going to be in the second and third rounds. Much like last year, where the Lions picked up two starters, they could pick up starters in those rounds just as easily in this coming draft, at any one of a number of positions.

Not to nitpick, but the Browns got a 6th rounder from that trade (#195)

March 22nd, 2010, 7:02 pm
Heisman Winner

Admittedly this is totally obvious, but it is kind of cool that the stars are aligning to send one of 3 top notch players to the Lions that have positional value with the #2 pick. McCoy, Suh or Okung. Whichever fits best. Not too bad really. Not like the year when Peppers came out and there was no way in hades the Lions would get a crack at him. Most often it seems that there is only one player available like that and the Lions end up shut out; many times on the prior selection...

March 22nd, 2010, 8:26 pm
RIP Killer

m2karateman wrote:

Not to nitpick, but the Browns got a 6th rounder from that trade (#195)

Did they? The website I saw tracking the trades didn't show any compensation for that pick. It would make more sense that they got a sixth rounder for it.

March 22nd, 2010, 9:06 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Now that the draft is less than a month away, and the talent boards are fluctuating, I thought I would list what I hope could be the Lions possible additions on draft day. I am listing several possibilities per round based on current talent board ratings.

2- Suh, McCoy, Okung - If the Lions take Okung with this pick, I'll be sick.

34- Kareem Jackson CB, Maurkice Pouncey C/G, Jahvid Best RB

66- Koa Misi LB, Vlad Ducasse G, Toby Gerhart RB, CB's Chris Cook or Brandon Ghee

100- Ben Tate RB, Mike Johnson G, Darrell Stuckey S, Greg Hardy DE

133- A J Jefferson CB, Selvish Capers OT, James Starks RB, Deji Karim RB

214- Emmanuel Sanders WR/slot, John Conner FB, Chris DeGeare G

255- John Fletcher DE, Walter McFadden CB, Trindon Holliday RS

These are for the most part guys that I like. Any feedback?

March 23rd, 2010, 3:16 pm
Veteran General Manager

Juicy rumor I heard about on Sirius NFL Radio today. A caller mentioned that the hot rumor going around Oakland is that Al Davis is in Man Love with Suh and wants to trade up to get him.

Wow. I just looked at the draft pick trade value chart to see what we could bilk Al Davis out of. There 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounders this year and they would still be short. If you add their 2nd and 3rd rounders next year, they would still be just shy of the trade chart value.

Is Al Davis senile enough to pull the trigger?

I certainly hope so.

There's an outside chance we could still get McCoy at #8. If not, we are in Joe Haden, CB, Florida territory. And we would have enough ammo to trade back into the bottom of the 1st for Brandon Graham/Dan Williams/Kyle Wilson/fill in the blank.

March 23rd, 2010, 11:28 pm
Team MVP

Juicy rumor I heard about on Sirius NFL Radio today. A caller mentioned that the hot rumor going around Oakland is that Al Davis is in Man Love with Suh and wants to trade up to get him.

Wow. I just looked at the draft pick trade value chart to see what we could bilk Al Davis out of. There 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounders this year and they would still be short. If you add their 2nd and 3rd rounders next year, they would still be just shy of the trade chart value.

Is Al Davis senile enough to pull the trigger?

I certainly hope so.

There's an outside chance we could still get McCoy at #8. If not, we are in Joe Haden, CB, Florida territory. And we would have enough ammo to trade back into the bottom of the 1st for Brandon Graham/Dan Williams/Kyle Wilson/fill in the blank.

That would be absolutely amazing, but do you think they would trade with us, or St. Louis (to get ahead of us)??

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 23rd, 2010, 11:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next