View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 19th, 2014, 10:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 SELECTING A KICKER IN THE 2ND ROUND 
Pop Warner Allstar

Post SELECTING A KICKER IN THE 2ND ROUND
to switch up the topic on another team.

what is your opinion on selecting mike nugent in the second round with the #47 selection overall by the ny jets?

i realize he's about as automatic as can be, but he's a kicker!!!!

just want to hear from the pro's.

April 24th, 2005, 10:24 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I think we took J Hans in the second. No one is complaing about that pick.

Also, they missed two field goals in the playoff game.

April 24th, 2005, 10:36 am
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

nugent could be their kicker for the next 10-15 seasons. IMO they seized the opportunity. Their K cost them late in the season and in the playoffs...
Good special teams play is a sneaky way to win one or two more close games in a season...

April 24th, 2005, 10:55 am
RIP Killer

Just look at SD who took Nate Kaeding last year. The kid was great in college, but when it came time in the playoffs as a clutch kicker, he failed - wide right I think. It's tough to put that kind of pressure on a rookie kicker.

I think they could have taken a kicker lower, but it was a good pick IMO. Nugent is better than Kaeding was. A kicker is a huge impact player on a team. If we didn't have Drummond and had an average kick returner...some of those games (Jax) wouldn't even have been close.

April 24th, 2005, 11:05 am
NFL Veteran

Nugent is a good kicker. He will be exposed because it's not the strongest leg. Just deadly accurate. So he won't be as effective in the pros. That's not to say he won't be a solid kicker.

The real dillema was Minnesota licking their chops to use their second rounder on him. So I say it was a good pick in terms of strategy, but not necessarily value. The Jets had another 2nd round pick that they were able to use on a stud corner. So following principles of supply and demand, they did what worked. The supply was great for corners. Not so great for kickers. The demand by Minnesota was enough for the Jets to pull the trigger with their first 2nd round pick. And there was enough supply for them to still land a stud corner.

So based on my assesment of Nugent, not a sexy value pick.
Based on the situation, good strategy pick.

Anyway, still. They used their first overall pick on a 'kicker.'

A kicker!

Muahahaha

April 24th, 2005, 2:21 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]