View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 22nd, 2014, 12:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Russel Okung 
Player of the Year - Defense

A league source tells Profootballtalk.com that "multiple teams" have a fourth-round grade on Maryland LT Bruce Campbell, despite his awesome Combine.
Another source described Campbell's 2009 play on film as "terrible." It's worth noting that during Campbell's post-workout interview Saturday, the NFL Network showed numerous clips of Campbell missing blocks and getting overpowered at the point of attack. NFLN's Mike Lombardi, a former Raiders employee, predicts Campbell will be drafted by Al Davis at No. 8 overall.

March 2nd, 2010, 11:30 am
RIP Killer

Quote:
A league source tells Profootballtalk.com that "multiple teams" have a fourth-round grade on Maryland LT Bruce Campbell, despite his awesome Combine.
Another source described Campbell's 2009 play on film as "terrible." It's worth noting that during Campbell's post-workout interview Saturday, the NFL Network showed numerous clips of Campbell missing blocks and getting overpowered at the point of attack. NFLN's Mike Lombardi, a former Raiders employee, predicts Campbell will be drafted by Al Davis at No. 8 overall.

But, but......don't you understand Blueskies?!? He had a GREAT combines workout. He blew away all the other offensive tackles. He was a living God among men at Lucas Field. He MUST be a first rounder after all that, right? (heavy dose of sarcasm included)

March 2nd, 2010, 11:36 am
Hall of Fame Player

BillySims wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
As a Maryland Alum I like Bruce but I think he's a second or third round talent. His name was gaining steam after the season ended and some people have him in the first round in mocks. PFT posted an article that teams have been watching his game tape and weren't all that impressed, one team even calling it "terrible". While I don't think that's the case, I think he needs a little more time to develop. He has tons of upside and potential so someone is going to reach for him. I'd take him mid-second if I could.

Bruce Campbell is NOT 2nd or 3rd round talent. He won't last past the 1st round after his combines performance. He blew up. And he just made a whole lotta money.

What did he do at the Combine that was so wonderful? He ran a fast forty. So? How many OTs have to run 40 yards real fast? He did well in the lifting portion. So? Upper body strength and endurance is not as important as technique, balance and good footwork.

I agree that Campbell has immense athleticism. However, he has had a slew of injuries, has very limited college experience and his technique is raw as a result. Remember Jason Smith last year? He had a great Combine, but was seen as a raw talent with lots of potential? Do you think St. Louis is happy they drafted him, since he couldn't even win the starting RT job, let alone not even sniff the LT spot?

Athleticism for an offensive lineman is a great thing, but ONLY if they have experience and technique to back it up. Campbell has neither of those. So while he may have first round athleticism, his overall body of work is more second round.

He will be drafted in the first round, no doubt. It only takes one senile old man living by the Pacific Ocean to fall in love with him and take him to make him a "first round talent". But in truth, he should not be a first round player.

DANG. You think Oakland will take him? I was thinking Dallas would take him to groom behind Flozell for a year or 2. Either way, He blew up every drill they had him do. And it launched him into the 1st round. His talent is more "Potential" right now. But, I would not be surprised to see someone draft him and switch him to DE to take advantage of his size, speed, and strength.

March 3rd, 2010, 2:03 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Well, Al Davis might be taking Taylor Mays now instead of Bruce Campbell. Who knows what goes through that senile old fart's head?

March 3rd, 2010, 12:00 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

Post Re: Russel Okung
m2karateman wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
I know theres a lot of people on here, including myself, that arent REAL high on Okung. Yes, hes a good tackle, but definetly no Jake Long or Joe Thomas. After watching him today, i still feel the same way. He had a good day bench pressing, but man i tell ya, he moves his feet as if anchors were attached to them. I just cannot see that aspect of him being succesful in the NFL, especially with speed rushers on the edge.

Call me crazy (ive been told it many times before), but if I had to pick a tackle, it would be Bruce Campbell. Ive been saying for a while (not on here), that he will, in the end, be the #1 tackle taken. He showed a lot of quickness, showed he was athletic, fast for a lineman (4.85 40), strength (34 reps). He even has better size than Okung.

I wouldnt take a tackle with the #2 pick, but if i had to pick one, right now its Bruce Campbell.

Last year Lydon Murtha ran the fastest 40 of any offensive lineman (I believe it was a 4.87) and put up a respectable number of lifts. He was taken in the seventh round by Detroit, put on the PS, and later signed by Miami, and never started. He barely saw any playing time.

Campbell has 17 collegiate games to his credit, and a history of injuries that caused that few number of games. Murtha was the same way....great athlete, but couldn't stay healthy.

If you are going to invest millions of dollars in a player, you want him to be able to stay on the field. Campbell has not shown the ability to do that. Okung, however, has shown great durability and has solid technique. He won't be asked to run 40 yards, he needs to be able to move laterally, and be able to backpedal in balance. The forty has NOTHING to do with offensive linemen, or even most of the positions on the football field. That is why those results are discounted by so many coaches and scouts.

Isn't Jeff Backus both durable and technically sound? Don't we always bitch about him getting overpowered and being too slow? Granted he wasn't supposed to be a top 10 pick, but he was a consensus first rounder that year and the 3rd tackle taken. In front of him was Leonard Davis (now playing Guard) and Kenyatta Walker (was most recently on the Toronto Arganauts practice squad). Just sayin'

March 3rd, 2010, 12:37 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: Russel Okung
Wayne Fontes wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
I know theres a lot of people on here, including myself, that arent REAL high on Okung. Yes, hes a good tackle, but definetly no Jake Long or Joe Thomas. After watching him today, i still feel the same way. He had a good day bench pressing, but man i tell ya, he moves his feet as if anchors were attached to them. I just cannot see that aspect of him being succesful in the NFL, especially with speed rushers on the edge.

Call me crazy (ive been told it many times before), but if I had to pick a tackle, it would be Bruce Campbell. Ive been saying for a while (not on here), that he will, in the end, be the #1 tackle taken. He showed a lot of quickness, showed he was athletic, fast for a lineman (4.85 40), strength (34 reps). He even has better size than Okung.

I wouldnt take a tackle with the #2 pick, but if i had to pick one, right now its Bruce Campbell.

Last year Lydon Murtha ran the fastest 40 of any offensive lineman (I believe it was a 4.87) and put up a respectable number of lifts. He was taken in the seventh round by Detroit, put on the PS, and later signed by Miami, and never started. He barely saw any playing time.

Campbell has 17 collegiate games to his credit, and a history of injuries that caused that few number of games. Murtha was the same way....great athlete, but couldn't stay healthy.

If you are going to invest millions of dollars in a player, you want him to be able to stay on the field. Campbell has not shown the ability to do that. Okung, however, has shown great durability and has solid technique. He won't be asked to run 40 yards, he needs to be able to move laterally, and be able to backpedal in balance. The forty has NOTHING to do with offensive linemen, or even most of the positions on the football field. That is why those results are discounted by so many coaches and scouts.

Isn't Jeff Backus both durable and technically sound? Don't we always bitch about him getting overpowered and being too slow? Granted he wasn't supposed to be a top 10 pick, but he was a consensus first rounder that year and the 3rd tackle taken. In front of him was Leonard Davis (now playing Guard) and Kenyatta Walker (was most recently on the Toronto Arganauts practice squad). Just sayin'

What part of "move laterally and backpedal with balance" did you miss? Jeff Backus doesn't move laterally as well as most LTs, and that is the issue. Besides, while we may bitch about him, it seems just about every NFL coach that has come to Detroit implies that he is better than we realize. Now....do you believe the guys who have been doing this for a living, or the mostly untrained eyes of us, the fans? Campbell can lift weights and run fast, big deal. He was never that impressive on the field, hence one NFL scout saying he put a fourth round grade on Campbell, AFTER his Combine workouts. And he's not the only NFL insider to have a lower than first round grade on Campbell.

March 3rd, 2010, 10:09 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I do not think Campbell deserves to go until at least the 3rd but I really believe that Al Davis will pull the trigger at #8.

March 4th, 2010, 11:06 am
Color Commentator - John Madden

I know we all make light of Al Davis and his propensity to draft the biggest and fastest, but there's a part of me that think he'll pass on Campbell in Round 1. If he's there in Round 2 then chalk it up.

Does Julius Peppers coming to the NFC North mean that Okung is in play?

March 5th, 2010, 5:05 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

I don't think so but an O-lineman move early might not be out of the question with Williams and Vanden Bosch brought in as stop gaps. Mayhew is shopping that #2 pick and if they find a way to slide back and get decent compensation a guy like Bulaga might be on their radar. He isn't getting the hype of the other LTs near the top but he has just as much potential. The nice thing about him is he has OG experience and can fill the LG role for a year or two before moving to LT. I think if Cleveland, Buffalo, Denver, Seattle, or SF fall in love with Bradford and/or Clausen the Lions will get at least one good offer.

March 5th, 2010, 5:19 pm
Pro Bowl Player

It's really odd, whenever I read about Okung at the combine I hear one of two extremes. Either people say he had an amazing combine or people say he was a flop.

March 6th, 2010, 11:12 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

It's really odd, whenever I read about Okung at the combine I hear one of two extremes. Either people say he had an amazing combine or people say he was a flop.

Whoever says he was a flop had too high of expectations from him. He did seem somewhat stiff in position drills, but that wasn't completely unexpected. He does show good lateral footwork and a solid initial punch. He bends his knees pretty well when moving, so he's not really a waist bender type of lineman.

Should the Lions use the #2 pick on him? No. Should the Redskins use the #4 pick on him? Yes. Is he worth that pick? Probably not, but they have little choice unless they trade down.

March 7th, 2010, 9:49 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I would not be surprised if we trade down later in the top 10 and draft an OT... maybe Bulaga for example and start him at LG or RT. I would also not be shocked if we drafted a RB in the second following that...something like.

1-OL Bulaga
2-RB Best
2-CB McCourty/Jackson

I am not endorsing this but would not be shocked either.

March 8th, 2010, 12:41 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

I would not be surprised if we trade down later in the top 10 and draft an OT... maybe Bulaga for example and start him at LG or RT. I would also not be shocked if we drafted a RB in the second following that...something like.

1-OL Bulaga
2-RB Best
2-CB McCourty/Jackson

I am not endorsing this but would not be shocked either.

Change Bulaga for Suh and that's my prediction.

EDIT: I mean no trade down,

1-Suh
2-RB
3-CB or DE

March 8th, 2010, 9:15 pm
RIP Killer

With the free agency splurg, does anyone think that we would be willing to snag Okung?

All the new mocks have us taking him...

March 10th, 2010, 11:44 am
RIP Killer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd2dzpYGoA4

March 10th, 2010, 11:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next