View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 28th, 2014, 6:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Russel Okung 
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Yea, I've noticed that several mock drafts now have the Lions selecting Okung since they traded for Corey Williams. I just can't see it though. Mayhew claims that they draft BPA, but if he takes Okung at #2, we'll all know that it's bullshit.

March 10th, 2010, 12:37 pm
Team MVP

I dont believe theyll take Okung either, but if they did, would he be a nice upgrade or no?

March 10th, 2010, 1:57 pm
RIP Killer

He seems to have the tools... I just love the idea of getting a fresh face there and moving Backus to the LG spot. I think Backus can finish out his career there for the Lions and do a more consistent job, though he did by all accounts have a great 2009 season.

March 10th, 2010, 2:00 pm
Varsity Captain

Alot of "draft" forums seem to have the Lions taking Okung, but most football forums seem to think its still or Suh/McCoy or just better positioned to take Berry.

Thats the problem I think with draft forums, everyone thinks they are a scout and when they see workout warriors they freak out.

March 10th, 2010, 5:24 pm
Pro Bowl Player

Alot of "draft" forums seem to have the Lions taking Okung, but most football forums seem to think its still or Suh/McCoy or just better positioned to take Berry.

Thats the problem I think with draft forums, everyone thinks they are a scout and when they see workout warriors they freak out.

My issue with so many mock drafts is that they only see need. Oh, Detroit drafted Stafford last year and Backus sucks therefore they are taking a LT QED. There's a total disregard for individual teams' approaches to the draft.

March 10th, 2010, 6:38 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Okung makes sense on a lot of levels (not that I'm advocating this pick over a DT), but you solve two positions at once at LT and LG (moving Backus to LG) and you protect the teams biggest investment in Stafford.

This draft is also deep in DTs, so you get better quality there in rounds 2 and 3 than at other positions.

When you mix in the fact the Lions have already made two big additions to the DL, well, I can see why mocksters are penciling in Okung.

March 10th, 2010, 6:46 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Okung makes sense on a lot of levels (not that I'm advocating this pick over a DT), but you solve two positions at once at LT and LG (moving Backus to LG) and you protect the teams biggest investment in Stafford.

This draft is also deep in DTs, so you get better quality there in rounds 2 and 3 than at other positions.

When you mix in the fact the Lions have already made two big additions to the DL, well, I can see why mocksters are penciling in Okung.

I'm gonna step in and say it makes no freakin' sense whatsoever.

Let me explain:

1. There is no proof that Backus would make a good LG. He is not a bulky type of tackle, but rather a "technician" style player. He's never been a road grader. He gets bull rushed at times, successfully, by guys he outweighs by 20 or 30 lbs. But suddenly he'll successfully manage DTs that could outweigh him? I think not.

2. Schwartz made it a point of saying how well he thought Backus performed last season as our starting LT. After that endorsement, I don't think Backus would simply slide over. I think what would happen is that the Lions will look for a trade partner for him, because he's gonna be one unhappy cowboy.

3. We had an opportunity last season to draft a franchise left tackle when we took Pettigrew over Oher. Why use a #2 pick on a player that isn't as good as the player you could have had last year at #20? It would definitely make Mayhew and Schwartz look like bumbling morons to perform such a maneveur, and in this case I would say the looks aren't deceiving.

If they pick Okung at #2, I'd be beyond pissed at this current administration. If they are going to stay there, they either take Suh or McCoy, nobody else. If they want Okung, then trade down to get him, because he isn't worth that pick.

March 10th, 2010, 9:29 pm

Lions GM Martin Mayhew watches Oklahoma State's Russell Okung at pro day
By MURRAY EVANS
Associated Press Writer

STILLWATER, Okla. — Russell Okung got a chance to finish what he started at the NFL combine.

The standout left tackle for Oklahoma State was the star attraction at the school’s pro day today for 40 representatives from 27 NFL teams, including general managers from the Detroit Lions, Buffalo Bills and San Francisco 49ers.

“I like him a lot,” Pittsburgh Steelers scout Joe Greene said. “Russell is a good player. He’s got the size. He’s got the length, the athletic ability to play the position. He just needs to get a football team now.”

At the NFL combine in Indianapolis, Okung ran the 40-yard dash in 5.17 seconds and had 38 repetitions in the 225-pound bench press, the second-best total among offensive linemen. But he suffered a minor groin injury and skipped four other drills — the vertical jump, broad jump, three-cone drill and shuttle run.

Saying he is healed and with his groin area wrapped, he performed those four drills Wednesday, recording a vertical jump of 32 1/2 inches and a broad jump of 8 feet, 9 inches — both of which would have ranked him in the top 10 at his position had he done them at the combine.

His times in the other two drills weren’t immediately available. He skipped the bench press and the 40-yard dash.

“I don’t really see the point in an offensive lineman running out 40 yards unless you’re about to knock off a safety,” he said. “You don’t really get that opportunity a lot, so the 40 really just wasn’t that important to me.”

The 6-foot-6, 310-pound All-American Okung started 47 straight games for the Cowboys, who finished 9-4 last season.

“I really haven’t been trying to separate myself individually,” Okung said after the workout. “I’m just trying to go out there and do what I do best ... and compete. If they like what they see, they like what they see.”

Okung also performed position drills with other Oklahoma State linemen. After he was finished, he and his agent spoke briefly on the field with Buffalo general manager Buddy Nix, whose team has the ninth overall pick in next month’s draft.

Also attending the workout were San Francisco general manager Scot McCloughan, whose team drafts 16th, and Detroit general manager Martin Mayhew, whose team drafts second.

“I think I’m a person that’s willing to accept the pressure that’s going to be put on me,” Okung said. “That’s become kind of natural ... through the whole season. You’ve got a big, old target on your back, so you definitely have to welcome all the pressure.”

I wouldn't read too much into Mayhew being at his pro day. It's just due diligence. Mayhew was also at McCoy's pro day on Tuesday and is supposedly going to be at Suh's today.

March 11th, 2010, 10:09 am
RIP Killer

Pablo wrote:

I'm gonna step in and say it makes no freakin' sense whatsoever.

Let me explain:

1. There is no proof that Backus would make a good LG. He is not a bulky type of tackle, but rather a "technician" style player. He's never been a road grader. He gets bull rushed at times, successfully, by guys he outweighs by 20 or 30 lbs. But suddenly he'll successfully manage DTs that could outweigh him? I think not.

2. Schwartz made it a point of saying how well he thought Backus performed last season as our starting LT. After that endorsement, I don't think Backus would simply slide over. I think what would happen is that the Lions will look for a trade partner for him, because he's gonna be one unhappy cowboy.

3. We had an opportunity last season to draft a franchise left tackle when we took Pettigrew over Oher. Why use a #2 pick on a player that isn't as good as the player you could have had last year at #20? It would definitely make Mayhew and Schwartz look like bumbling morons to perform such a maneveur, and in this case I would say the looks aren't deceiving.

If they pick Okung at #2, I'd be beyond pissed at this current administration. If they are going to stay there, they either take Suh or McCoy, nobody else. If they want Okung, then trade down to get him, because he isn't worth that pick.

I didn't say I endorse it, quite the opposite but in response

1) There is no proof for just about anything. The last few DTs taken #1 overall just weren't that good, does that mean that Suh/McCoy would be a bust if taken by STL? Backus can't handle speed rushers at LT, not that he handles bull rushers much better - but may do better in a smaller space if asked to do so.

2) After years of losing, I think Backus would do just about anything ask to win in Detroit. And since when do we start taking what our coaches or front offices say as gospel anyway?

3) The team recognized that Staff would need another target besides CJ and Pett not only offered that, but he also helped upgrade the line. Lots of teams passed on Oher for a number of reasons, doesn't mean they wont look at an OT this year.

The Okung pick does make sense, perhaps not just "the most" sense.

March 11th, 2010, 10:34 am
Profile WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

Speculation on Lions drafting Russell Okung, but it's likely just that

Allen Park -- The Lions have failed to address any needs along the offensive line in free agency or via trade this offseason. That has some people speculating Oklahoma State offensive tackle Russell Okung could be high on the draft list.

Sportingnews.com's Russ Lande and scout.com's Chris Steuber have the Lions taking Okung at No. 2.

Speculation continued to swirl when the Lions took Okung to dinner at Shula's Steakhouse in Indianapolis during the first night of the NFL combine and Lions general manager Martin Mayhew was at Okung's pro day in Stillwater, Okla., Wednesday.

Mayhew also has talked about the possibility of drafting an offensive tackle and moving veteran left tackle Jeff Backus to guard, which throws more fuel on the speculation fire.

Advertisement

"(Backus) has the ability to go inside and play guard. But we'll see how it all plays out," Mayhew said. "It's hard to say if we are going to ask him to do that at this point or if we're going to leave him at left tackle."

But despite all that, don't count on the Lions taking Okung.

Mayhew and the Lions are doing their due diligence by taking a close look at all the top prospects. The smart money, however, is still on them taking one of the dominant defensive linemen -- Nebraska's Ndamukong Suh or Oklahoma's Gerald McCoy -- at the top. It's still hard to see them taking Okung, even with the additions of Corey Williams and Kyle Vanden Bosch along the defensive front.

Lions center Dominic Raiola also expects a defensive lineman to be selected.

"I wouldn't speculate on drafting that guy Okung yet," he said. "If Suh is there, I don't think there's any doubt who they'll take."

On the possibility of Backus moving next to him at left guard, Raiola said Backus could easily make the transition, but he's not sure that's in the cards, either.

"He's excelled at tackle," Raiola said of Backus. "We've been through, I don't know, how many head coaches and offensive line coaches, two managements, and he's still getting paid. There must be something he's doing right.

"Jeff being a football player first, that's going to allow him (to move to guard), if necessary. I know Jeff and I know he's a left tackle first, but I'm sure if they asked him to make a big change like that, I'm sure he'll make the move no problem. I think Jeff is our left tackle for now, though."

This a deep draft for offensive linemen, and the Lions could still get a good tackle later. It's just unlikely it will be at No. 2.

March 12th, 2010, 1:02 pm
RIP Killer

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100315 ... 1126/rss14

Quote:
Oklahoma State OT Russell Okung meets with Lions in Allen Park
John Niyo / The Detroit News

Allen Park -- Russell Okung had dinner with the Lions' staff in Indianapolis. General manager Martin Mayhew attended his pro day workout last week in Stillwater, Okla. And now the Oklahoma State left tackle -- a candidate for the Lions' top draft choice in April -- is paying a visit to Allen Park.

Okung is visiting the Lions' practice facility Monday, meeting with coaches in one of the 30 pre-draft visits with prospects that NFL teams are allotted. He'll likely get a chance to meet some of the Lions' players, as well. Monday is the first day of offseason workouts for the Lions in Allen Park.

The 6-foot-6, 310-pound Okung, widely viewed as the top offensive tackle in this year's draft, turned in an impressive performance at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis three weeks ago. Okung, who started 47 consecutive games for Oklahoma State, also got strong reviews from the Lions after their private meeting.

"He's a very sharp guy, very intelligent," Mayhew said. "He's a leader on their football team. He was an impressive guy."

Oklahoma defensive tackle Gerald McCoy, who also met with the Lions in Indianapolis and had Mayhew at his pro day last week, is scheduled to arrive Wednesday night for a Thursday visit in Allen Park.

March 15th, 2010, 2:11 pm
Profile WWW

I think teams are allowed 30 visits, so I wouldn't read too much into Okung stopping by to say "Hi".

March 15th, 2010, 3:04 pm
RIP Killer

I think teams are allowed 30 visits, so I wouldn't read too much into Okung stopping by to say "Hi".

This is what I would read into it.....the Lions are hoping for someone to trade up with them to land Okung before they do. Whether it be Washington, KC or Seattle....it seems like they are baiting the hook.

March 15th, 2010, 3:21 pm
RIP Killer

I wouldn't expect them to visit him otherwise. They are supposed to check out ALL the top players and then decide on who they think the best talent is. I would never take outside opinion on the talent level who didn't have a vested interest in making sure I made the right decision.

Also, I think this applies to everyone BUT Al Davis. He should always take outside advise and never his own...

March 15th, 2010, 3:23 pm
Walk On

I wouldn't expect them to visit him otherwise. They are supposed to check out ALL the top players and then decide on who they think the best talent is. I would never take outside opinion on the talent level who didn't have a vested interest in making sure I made the right decision.

Also, I think this applies to everyone BUT Al Davis. He should always take outside advise and never his own...

Well not only do you want to make sure you have the #1 guy at your pick but you need to have a good feeling for any player picked 10-15 picks back just in case you see an opportunity to move back and still have a guy you really like for the team.

March 16th, 2010, 10:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next