View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 27th, 2014, 7:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Dan Orlovsky in the 5th 
RIP Killer

Post Dan Orlovsky in the 5th
No McP.... :cry:

The Lions just took QB Dan Orlovsky of Conn with pick 145. Don't have the details on the trade yet.

DO is 6'5", 225 lbs....

April 24th, 2005, 1:27 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Position: Quarterback
College: Connecticut
Height: 6-4
Weight: 238
Hometown: Shelton, Conn.

ANALYSIS
A smart, instinctive passer who will stand in under pressure and shows the toughness to throw the ball with a defender in his face ? Can take the punishment from the blitz and pass rush, get back up and come right back at you ? He is not a great physical specimen, but has good size and body thickness ? Has good command of the offense and in the huddle, especially in pressure situations ? Shows good timing and touch, but is prone to forcing the ball into traffic and making poor judgement calls when his primary targets cannot get open ? Displays excellent accuracy in the short and intermediate areas, putting the ball where receivers can easily catch it ? Has the arm strength to get the ball deep, but needs to do a better job of keeping the long ball out of coverage and away from the defenders ? Can hoist the ball 50 yards without putting much "umph" behind his tosses, showing the arm strength needed for the comeback and deep outs ? Orlovsky shows awareness and vision in the pocket, but lacks the foot agility to slide and adjust when flushed out ? Good at making proper progression reads, but is not a natural thrower on the run and gets in a lot of trouble when he has to throw after escaping, rolling out or sprinting away from the his protection ? Lacks open-field running skills and despite his timed speed, looks very sluggish rolling out; he lacks balance and change of direction agility ? Does a nice job of keeping his feet and stepping into his throws, though ? Carries the ball numbers up and possesses a quick release with a three-quarter delivery ? One thing you notice on film is his sound passing mechanics in the pocket, quick release and delivery, fine touch and short-area accuracy and good arm strength, whether throwing intermediate or long ? Can throw with nice touch or air the ball out with efficiency ? Very good at making progression reads, but you do see him look down and isolate on one receiver a bit ? When given protection, he does a nice job of stepping up and getting into position to make the throw ? When forced out of the pocket, he loses his timing and anticipation ability to make the throws ? Has marginal ability to scramble and throw on the run due to his lack of quickness ? When given time, he is very accurate as the ball is seldom far from the target ? In the short-passing game, Dan has a nice touch and can take something off when necessary, but he must learn to put some air under the ball when his receivers break open ? Calls much of the game from the line of scrimmage and can check and sight well ? His problems with turnovers occur when he struggles with rollouts and boots ? Will sit in and take the hit on the blitz and still make a good throw, but also will try to dump off ? Is not a great runner and does not have good escapability, but he is strong enough and big enough to shake off tackles ? His quick setup compensates for a lack of foot speed and he does show very sound mechanics, release and delivery ? Rarely will you see him throw wild or high; his vision and mental makeup puts him in position to make the throw ? Despite a lack of foot speed, he will consistently step into his passes.

INJURY REPORT
No injuries reported.

AGILITY
4.88 in the 40-yard dash ? 335-pound bench press ? 480-pound squat ? 273-pound power clean ? 26?-inch vertical jump ? 32 1/8-inch arm length ? 9?-inch hands ? Right-handed.

April 24th, 2005, 1:31 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

:finger: you Millen

April 24th, 2005, 1:31 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Captain

The guy is a beast, i saw him play at uconn numerous times last year and the guy is a ball player. I was really surprised when he performed so poorly during the senior bowl week, he will perform much better than that. He was the guy that I was secretly hoping for.

April 24th, 2005, 1:33 pm
RIP Killer

Lions get: New England's fifth-round pick (No. 145) and selected QB Dan Orlovsky, and a sixth-round pick (No. 206). Lions still have pick #184 Rd 6.

Patriots get: Detroit's fourth-round pick in 2006.

Last edited by conversion02 on April 24th, 2005, 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 24th, 2005, 1:35 pm

April 24th, 2005, 1:36 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

We gave up a 4th next year for this years 5th and 6th from NE.

So we have 2 6th round picks now? Nice!

But wait... those 4th round picks are just too valuable!

April 24th, 2005, 1:37 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I'm still looking for a FS in the 6th then!

April 24th, 2005, 1:37 pm

April 24th, 2005, 1:42 pm
Profile WWW
NFL Veteran

I saw it and was scratching my head. How did we get a 5th rounder?

But I agree, good pick. Orlovsky was on my radar. (Although he's no Charlie Frye) muahahaha

April 24th, 2005, 1:42 pm
Profile WWW
Fair Weather Fan

Thnx God McPhe is gona now u guys can shut up about it.
We still need another defensive player
Hawthorne should be k i think he is still on the draft

April 24th, 2005, 1:45 pm
Pro Bowl Player

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

:finger: you Millen

:shock: :lol: BSAND I loved every pick( except the third ) thats just cuz I never heard of the guy... This orkvolkyloioishich is supposed to be decent

April 24th, 2005, 1:46 pm
Profile WWW

I am pouting because I didn't get my way in the draft.

I wanted DJ and McP. Millen could have drafted Peyton Manning at #10 and I would still be complaining.

April 24th, 2005, 1:48 pm
Profile WWW
Fair Weather Fan

Come on Millen pick Shazor or marcus Curry (UofM) next.
Kevin Dudly the fullback is still available. Core will get hurt once in a while

April 24th, 2005, 1:52 pm
League MVP

dude, i cant believe shazor has not been picked... markus curry though is terrible, would be a horrible pick.
i expect millen to draft guys that have fallen, there are still some good players there...

April 24th, 2005, 1:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next