View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 24th, 2014, 12:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Todd McShay 
QB Coach

Post Todd McShay
Thought this was a good look at how the league views supposed draftniks.

Quote:
Todd McShay backlash builds
Posted by Mike Florio on March 31, 2010 12:56 PM ET
Many NFL scouts have a sore spot for failed NFL scouts who enter the media and attempt to critique the work of NFL scouts who have not yet failed.

Even more NFL scouts have a sore spot for guys who were never NFL scouts, couldn't be if they wanted to, and then attempt to critique the work of folks who became NFL scouts.

Once upon a time, Mel Kiper was the primary target of NFL scouts; Kiper has been supplanted by his on-air protege/rival at ESPN, Todd McShay. As McShay's profile increases, and as he takes on the likes of quarterback Jimmy Clausen for reasons that many league insiders believe have no merit, McShay becomes a magnet for criticism.

"Most people at my level feel he is a joke," a veteran NFL scout told us via e-mail. "People in the league respect Kiper. He is not a true scout but he does work at it. A lot of his info he gets from connections in the league, and over the years he has made quite a few. When he was younger he used to burn some bridges. He doesn't do that any more."

So what about McShay?

"McShay does not have any good connections," the source opined. "Higher-ups in the league think he is an arrogant bunghole. A know-it-all. And he really knows nothing. Whatever he says about a quarterback, take it to the bank, it will be the opposite. Remember, last August he stated that Jevan Snead was better than Colt McCoy and would get drafted in the top five. He has yet to publicly retract that statement.

"One of the reasons the kid came out was because of what McShay said. The family thought McShay knew and everyone else was wrong. . . . He has problems with game management, accuracy and leadership among other things, but pretty boy Todd thought he was great because of one good game (the Cotton Bowl) a year ago. McShay is a pretty face who comes across like he knows what he is talking about. He does have good presence, but knows nothing."

A common name we've heard when it comes to McShay is Andre Woodson. McShay championed Woodson during the 2007 season. Woodson ended up being a sixth-round pick, and he's now out of the league.

The teams knew that Woodson wasn't as good as McShay was saying. The problem is that the player and his family don't have access to what the teams are thinking. The player and his family see and hear the stuff that gets played on television, and they tend to believe it when ESPN attaches to the talking head the phony, official-sounding title of "director of college scouting."

But not all draft experts fall into that category.

"The best guy in the amateur scouting/draftnik business in Mike Mayock," the source said. "Mike does more film work then any of those other guys put together. He is the only one who has access to the NFL dub center where all the college tapes go before they get distributed to the teams. He watches hours and hours of tape. You might not always agree with his evaluations but he works hard at it and you have to respect that."

The source ended with a prediction regarding Clausen's prospects.

"On draft day McShay will look like a fool because whether or not you like Clausen as a person he is very talented," the source said. "He has more training and game time in a pro system than any quarterback in the draft. His improvement from '08 to '09 was tremendous. If Notre Dame had a defense, Charlie Weis would still be there coaching. Offense was not the problem. I will agree that Clausen may have some A-hole in him but he is extremely talented. He has a strong arm and is very accurate. Plus he has played a lot in a pro system."

In our view, McShay does present well on television, where the requirement isn't to know what you're talking about but to seem like you know what you're talking about. But we've heard from more than a few people who work as NFL scouts that McShay doesn't know what he's talking about. Right or wrong, those voices will only get louder in their criticism as McShay gets more air time -- and as he becomes more pointed with criticisms of players that NFL scouts regard as erroneous.

March 31st, 2010, 3:53 pm
Walk On

Post Re: Todd McShay
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
Thought this was a good look at how the league views supposed draftniks.

Quote:
Todd McShay backlash builds
Posted by Mike Florio on March 31, 2010 12:56 PM ET
Many NFL scouts have a sore spot for failed NFL scouts who enter the media and attempt to critique the work of NFL scouts who have not yet failed.

Even more NFL scouts have a sore spot for guys who were never NFL scouts, couldn't be if they wanted to, and then attempt to critique the work of folks who became NFL scouts.

Once upon a time, Mel Kiper was the primary target of NFL scouts; Kiper has been supplanted by his on-air protege/rival at ESPN, Todd McShay. As McShay's profile increases, and as he takes on the likes of quarterback Jimmy Clausen for reasons that many league insiders believe have no merit, McShay becomes a magnet for criticism.

"Most people at my level feel he is a joke," a veteran NFL scout told us via e-mail. "People in the league respect Kiper. He is not a true scout but he does work at it. A lot of his info he gets from connections in the league, and over the years he has made quite a few. When he was younger he used to burn some bridges. He doesn't do that any more."

So what about McShay?

"McShay does not have any good connections," the source opined. "Higher-ups in the league think he is an arrogant bunghole. A know-it-all. And he really knows nothing. Whatever he says about a quarterback, take it to the bank, it will be the opposite. Remember, last August he stated that Jevan Snead was better than Colt McCoy and would get drafted in the top five. He has yet to publicly retract that statement.

"One of the reasons the kid came out was because of what McShay said. The family thought McShay knew and everyone else was wrong. . . . He has problems with game management, accuracy and leadership among other things, but pretty boy Todd thought he was great because of one good game (the Cotton Bowl) a year ago. McShay is a pretty face who comes across like he knows what he is talking about. He does have good presence, but knows nothing."

A common name we've heard when it comes to McShay is Andre Woodson. McShay championed Woodson during the 2007 season. Woodson ended up being a sixth-round pick, and he's now out of the league.

The teams knew that Woodson wasn't as good as McShay was saying. The problem is that the player and his family don't have access to what the teams are thinking. The player and his family see and hear the stuff that gets played on television, and they tend to believe it when ESPN attaches to the talking head the phony, official-sounding title of "director of college scouting."

But not all draft experts fall into that category.

"The best guy in the amateur scouting/draftnik business in Mike Mayock," the source said. "Mike does more film work then any of those other guys put together. He is the only one who has access to the NFL dub center where all the college tapes go before they get distributed to the teams. He watches hours and hours of tape. You might not always agree with his evaluations but he works hard at it and you have to respect that."

The source ended with a prediction regarding Clausen's prospects.

"On draft day McShay will look like a fool because whether or not you like Clausen as a person he is very talented," the source said. "He has more training and game time in a pro system than any quarterback in the draft. His improvement from '08 to '09 was tremendous. If Notre Dame had a defense, Charlie Weis would still be there coaching. Offense was not the problem. I will agree that Clausen may have some A-hole in him but he is extremely talented. He has a strong arm and is very accurate. Plus he has played a lot in a pro system."

In our view, McShay does present well on television, where the requirement isn't to know what you're talking about but to seem like you know what you're talking about. But we've heard from more than a few people who work as NFL scouts that McShay doesn't know what he's talking about. Right or wrong, those voices will only get louder in their criticism as McShay gets more air time -- and as he becomes more pointed with criticisms of players that NFL scouts regard as erroneous.

Makes sense. Most of these guys don't ever get a chance to meet the players anyways so really all they have to go on is what they see. McShay is really the worst. He doesn't do the scouting like stuff Mayock does, and he has no real connections with anyone in the league like Kiper does. He also hates a position QB. He picks a darling and then goes on a poop storm on everyone else.

March 31st, 2010, 4:39 pm
Pro Bowl Player

Also saw this from Walter Football. The guy seems like a total douche:

Quote:
http://walterfootball.com/draftmailbag2010_mcshay4.php
From Jon R.:

That piece of s**t McShay - This just happened three minutes ago and it pissed me off so badly I had to immediately vent about it.

McShay was reporting on Dez Bryant's pro day, and he started speaking about his character concerns. He then went on to say something along the lines of "Dez Bryant is one of three children his mother had by the age of 18, and by the time Dez was 10 years old his mother had already served a year and a half in jail."

What in the f**k business is this of McShay's? Who the hell is he to speak of the age at which Dez's mother gave birth to him? Where does McShay get off speaking about his mother's jail sentence? And of course, how does ANY of this mean that Dez Bryant is a character concern?

There are only two people I truly hate in this world, and one of them is McShay (the other is LeBron James) and I really don't know how much longer I can listen to this idiot.

--> I am completely shocked about this. I can't believe that Todd McShay is reporting irrelevant things about a draft prospect's past to ruin his draft status. I mean, wow. And here, all along, I thought McShay was an upstanding gentleman.

In all seriousness, McShay needs to be fired as soon as possible. He's a scam artist whose main goal seems to be profiting both personally and financially by spreading lies and lowering draft stocks of NFL Draft prospects.

March 31st, 2010, 5:15 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Topweasel wrote:
Makes sense. Most of these guys don't ever get a chance to meet the players anyways so really all they have to go on is what they see. McShay is really the worst. He doesn't do the scouting like stuff Mayock does, and he has no real connections with anyone in the league like Kiper does. He also hates a position QB. He picks a darling and then goes on a poop storm on everyone else.

I think McShay's problem is that once he "locks" onto a player, he won't adjust his opinion of him. I don't think he should have to make a retraction, like the scout said in the article. And I HIGHLY doubt Jevan Snead left early because of what McShay said. Those players are given a rating on where they are likely to be drafted by the NFL Advisory Committee. If he left early thinking he'd be one of the first QBs off the board, thank them, not McShay.

From a personal standpoint, I'll listen to what the analysts say, but I judge players with my own eyes. Sometimes I'm right, sometimes I'm wrong.....no different than any analyst OR scout, for that matter.

March 31st, 2010, 5:18 pm
RIP Killer

I don't listen to that clown OR El Pelo Kiper...oh yeah, AND Scott Wright. He's just an idiot.

March 31st, 2010, 8:18 pm
Walk On

m2karateman wrote:
Topweasel wrote:

I think McShay's problem is that once he "locks" onto a player, he won't adjust his opinion of him. I don't think he should have to make a retraction, like the scout said in the article. And I HIGHLY doubt Jevan Snead left early because of what McShay said. Those players are given a rating on where they are likely to be drafted by the NFL Advisory Committee. If he left early thinking he'd be one of the first QBs off the board, thank them, not McShay.

From a personal standpoint, I'll listen to what the analysts say, but I judge players with my own eyes. Sometimes I'm right, sometimes I'm wrong.....no different than any analyst OR scout, for that matter.

I don't have a problem with the Javon Sneads of the world. People don't get drafted all the time Snead should be happy he ever got a chance. My problem is with the people he seemingly has a vendeta against, these are kids trying to take something they love an turn it into a career and with some players (The Clausens, Bryants, and such) it seems like he isn't happy until those players go undrafted.

His opinions on QB's though are the worst. Stafford not a top 10 pick, Clausen a not a first round pick. He also doesn't believe its important of position to be targeted in the draft, when that is the one position its nearly impossible to win without.

April 1st, 2010, 8:56 am
Team MVP

Thats why i pretty much only listen to Mike Mayock.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 1st, 2010, 10:55 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I saw a similar article somewhere, but can't remember what site it was on. It came out around January 15th when Juniors had to declare for the draft. The main point was that these so-called draft experts were destroying players' lives by giving them an inflated sense of their own worth. The mock drafts showed that they would be drafted in the 1st or 2nd round, so they declared early, only to be drafted late or not at all. Of course, a lot of that falls on the players themselves for believing that crap in the first place, but the so-called experts have zero accountability.

April 1st, 2010, 11:39 am
Varsity Captain

Meh its just the way of the world now. Look at someone like Valenti on 971. He acts like he knows a ton of stuff about football, but he really has pretty bad opinions on lots of players. BUT when he hits on a player thats all you hear about, you never hear about all the bad players or wrong ideas he has. The last one I can remember is how Mount Cody is a top 5 pick a while back. Same thing with all this Mays talk of number 1 last year.

Its sorta the same thing with McShay and Wright. I know Wright is a special type of nerd that seems to only focus on the draft, as in the draft is more important then actually watching the teams play. Both want to find guys that they can call their own, so if they make it big they can shout to the internet mountains that they found this guy.

April 1st, 2010, 1:16 pm
RIP Killer

Meh its just the way of the world now. Look at someone like Valenti on 971. He acts like he knows a ton of stuff about football, but he really has pretty bad opinions on lots of players. BUT when he hits on a player thats all you hear about, you never hear about all the bad players or wrong ideas he has. The last one I can remember is how Mount Cody is a top 5 pick a while back. Same thing with all this Mays talk of number 1 last year.

Not entirely true. Last year Valenti was pretty open about him wanting the Lions to take Jason Smith first overall, then Peria Jerry at number twenty. He has said that his picks would have equated to a disaster for the Lions last season. He admitted that, and also admitted that taking Stafford was probably the best move for the Lions.

Everybody has bad opinions on some players. Many folks looked at Mays last year as a top five player. Similarly, Snead was seen the same way at the beginning of the 2009 college season....not just by McShay. His problem is, once he makes that projection he sort of refuses to deviate from it....and when he does, it is without too much fanfare by himself.

But similarly, has anyone EVER heard Mel Kiper say he was wrong on a player? He projected BMW as the best prospect available, and now that he has proven to be an epic bust, has Kiper ever come out and admitted his mistake? Not that I know of.

April 1st, 2010, 1:50 pm
Walk On

casskid wrote:

Not entirely true. Last year Valenti was pretty open about him wanting the Lions to take Jason Smith first overall, then Peria Jerry at number twenty. He has said that his picks would have equated to a disaster for the Lions last season. He admitted that, and also admitted that taking Stafford was probably the best move for the Lions.

Everybody has bad opinions on some players. Many folks looked at Mays last year as a top five player. Similarly, Snead was seen the same way at the beginning of the 2009 college season....not just by McShay. His problem is, once he makes that projection he sort of refuses to deviate from it....and when he does, it is without too much fanfare by himself.

But similarly, has anyone EVER heard Mel Kiper say he was wrong on a player? He projected BMW as the best prospect available, and now that he has proven to be an epic bust, has Kiper ever come out and admitted his mistake? Not that I know of.

http://blog.mlive.com/highlightreel/200 ... ne_of.html

In fact that quote was from an ESPN insider article where he named off 9 other bad picks of his.

April 1st, 2010, 2:38 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I, myself thought that Mays was a top 5 pick after last season( I still think he'll be a Raider on the first draft day).

April 2nd, 2010, 3:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]