View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 20th, 2014, 2:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 The Wide Receiver Situation 
RIP Killer

As long as Joey and BMW click like Joey and CRog do...

April 28th, 2005, 10:10 pm
NFL Veteran

Yeah ditto. that's my feelings of BMW. Anyway while I see our top three receivers as being complete package receivers, or 'thoroughbreds' as Yorick refers to them, I still see somewhat defined roles. Of course the nice thing, is each are interchageable, it's just that I see just a bit more strength in some. Here's my rundown on their roles.

Charles Rogers Vertical Threat
He's the burner, fastest guy on the team. He runs the smoothest most fluid routes and he will get separation from virtually anyone he matches up against downfield if the quarterback has enough time. The deep pass with separation also minimizes contact with defenders, which is what we want to do with his injury concern.

Roy Williams YAC Threat
I think what Roy does better than the other receivers is break tackles after he catches the ball. He also has some elusiveness and a slippery frame which tacklers just bounce off of as seen in best against the Eagles. He will be a primary weapon in the short to medium range passing attack.

Mike Williams Redzone Threat (Possession Receiver)
Mike is the biggest receiver. What's nice is that there's no one his size faster than him. His breaks are huge so he can get nice separation with a single sidestep. With his length, long arms, and vertical his apex will be higher and out of reach of any defender matched up against him. Fade routes in the endzone will be high percentage scores. Obviously he will be a nice big target on possession downs as well.

Kevin Johnson Veteran Figurehead
He's an accomplished receiver in his own right, but I think what he brings to the table which is most valuable is veteran leadership. He has more experience than the rest of our receivers combined, so it is imperative that we have a figure who can level with these kids.

Marcus Pollard Possesion
He will be a primary blocker as well. But on those possesion downs when all our top three receivers are covered, that will leave the odd man unaccounted for. Marcus Pollard has excelled in a situation where three receivers are drawing most of the secondaries attention.

Scottie Vines/David Kircus Backups
Lol. I guess there here to give any of our top guys a breather.

Eddie Drummond [i]Misc[i]
Drummond is the main return man. That will be his focus, but he's dangerous with the ball in his hands so he can come in on receiver end around plays, or just as a guy to spell relief for the starters.

Obviously, between the top three, they won't be confined to those roles. They are all talented enough to switch it up, making it all the more better for our offense and much more harder on defenders to try to figure out what we are going to run. What the intent was when they drafted Mike Williams was to create mismatches. They sure did. The closest example I can think of is with Indianapolis. They have offensive firepower all around. However, I think guys like Stokley, benefitted from the guys in front of him. Mike Williams will be much more than Stokley can ever hope to be, if Mike Williams has the promising career he has the potential of having.

I also like the high character each of these young guys have. They all seem humble yet hungry. Of course, I'm not sure if some kind of overblown ego will blossom in any of them, but at the moment they all seem like they have the propensity to stay high character guys. If they all realize their potential and they all stick around, it'll be like having Randy Moss (CRog), Terrell Owens (R.O.Y.), and Keyshaun Johnson (BMW) all on the same team without the headcase antics and even more athletic all around. Let's hope they all realize that they have to share the ball and help each other out to make it happen. In the process we can destroy whatever defenses throw at us. That's part of the equation for the grand prize... dominance and a superbowl.

April 28th, 2005, 11:28 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Damn Don, that was an excellent breakdown of the receivers and the unique talents they offer. Well done. You should have that submitted as an article.

April 29th, 2005, 6:44 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

I also like the high character each of these young guys have. They all seem humble yet hungry. Of course, I'm not sure if some kind of overblown ego will blossom in any of them, but at the moment they all seem like they have the propensity to stay high character guys. If they all realize their potential and they all stick around, it'll be like having Randy Moss (CRog), Terrell Owens (R.O.Y.), and Keyshaun Johnson (BMW) all on the same team without the headcase antics and even more athletic all around. Let's hope they all realize that they have to share the ball and help each other out to make it happen. In the process we can destroy whatever defenses throw at us. That's part of the equation for the grand prize... dominance and a superbowl."

I agree that the talent level is "sick" so it really comes down to that and injuries-and of yeah, Harrington's confidence. :wink:

I am not sure that Pollard is a possession receiver? He did not seem to function in that role at Indy. He seemed a vertical threat out of the TE position the games I watched.

April 29th, 2005, 6:52 am
RIP Killer

Mike Williams Redzone Threat (Possession Receiver)
Mike is the biggest receiver. What's nice is that there's no one his size faster than him. His breaks are huge so he can get nice separation with a single sidestep. With his length, long arms, and vertical his apex will be higher and out of reach of any defender matched up against him. Fade routes in the endzone will be high percentage scores. Obviously he will be a nice big target on possession downs as well.

Does Joey know how to throw a fade pass in the corner of the endzone like Culpepper?? He's never been able to do it, on purpose, like we hope he will this year. He's never had a BMW to throw to and the "fade" passes he's thrown in the corner of the endzone were because nobody was open; not a jump ball to a 6-5 receiver. Wonder if they'll work on that during the minicamp?

April 29th, 2005, 7:26 am
RIP Killer

There is another part of the equation: Marcus Pollard. One concern that I have is that we seem to have all vertical guys. Who is going to be the outlet receiver? Basically, what I am saying that a succesful offense takes more than thorough breds. My god, we can throw deep and score TDs, but we still need some guys to move the chains beside KJ. Who is going to be that valuable Stokely type of possession guy?

As I recall, Stokely is a deep threat as well. With us having all these 'thoroughbreds' it will force opposing defensive backs to either supply our guys with cushion, which opens up patterns underneath or to play close in bump coverage and allow the deep pattern. However, in bump coverage the comeback pattern works extremely well also. If it is timed correctly there's no stopping that pattern. Plus, let's not forget the presence of Shawn Bryson or Kevin Jones. There's also the swapping of Kevin Johnson into the game as a 'possession' receiver who could also go deep.

I understand your concerns Yorick, but I think we'll be just fine. All three wideouts are regarded as having solid pass catching abilities. That automatically gives them 'possession' receiver credentials.

April 29th, 2005, 11:03 am
NFL Veteran

Exactly Mike, they all excell in each aspect of the wide receiver game, but each has some pronounced strengths. I guess one way to look at it is using Madden ratings. I know it's silly, but it gives an idea how you can see their relative strengths.

Speed - I would mostly associate with straight line speed and the fourty time. Acceleration is known mostly utilized in short area quickness, also known as explosion and burst in football terms. Agility I would say is change of direction ability, how fast and fluid a receiver can come out of his breaks. Awareness I associate mostly with football brains, so I give higher scores to the vets. Carrying is the ability to hold onto the ball without fumbling. The rest are self explanatory.

Charles Rogers
Speed: 96
Acceleration: 95
Agility: 92
Jumping: 91
Strength: 60
Awareness: 80
Catching: 94
Carrying: 70
Break Tackle: 65
Run Block: 40

Roy Williams
Speed: 94
Acceleration: 92
Agility: 90
Jumping: 91
Strength: 76
Awareness: 80
Catching: 92
Carrying: 88
Break Tackle: 90
Run Block: 85

Mike Williams
Speed: 89
Acceleration: 90
Agility: 90
Jumping: 95
Strength: 74
Awareness: 75
Catching: 90
Carrying: 80
Break Tackle: 75
Run Block: 75

Kevin Johnson
Speed: 85
Acceleration: 85
Agility: 85
Jumping: 75
Strength: 65
Awareness: 88
Catching: 80
Carrying: 75
Break Tackle: 70
Run Block: 65

Marcus Pollard
Speed: 73
Acceleration: 75
Agility: 75
Jumping: 72
Strength: 77
Awareness: 84
Catching: 82
Carrying: 84
Break Tackle: 74
Run Block: 88

You'll notice a leave a little room for growth for CRog and Roy, and a lot of room for growth for our rookie. What also needs to be kept in mind is that each of them are big in addition to being fast. You aren't going to find too many DB's who are as big as they are fast, and you aren't going to find too many linebackers who are fast as they are big. Meaning, each of them will find a mismatch a high percentage of the time. I think who ever matches up with a corner automatically outsizes them, as it's hard to find a 6'-3" corner, and will be just as if not faster than them. On the inside, take Mike Williams for example, they can put a DB on him and he will dwarf them making a jump ball mismatch every time, or if they put a linebacker on him, he will be faster than they will be. It's a matter of beating your own guy.

In year one, Charles Rogers was the focal point before he got hurt. In year two the idea was a pick your poison approach lining up two receivers. You can double team one, but that left the other one open. Now, there aren't enough defenders on the team to double team anybody! I mean they could decide to go with a sophisticated dime defense, but that still leaves Kevin Jones open. It's basically single coverage for everyone! And it looks like a mismatch at each spot virtually everytime!

April 29th, 2005, 4:42 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

The rest are self explanatory.

...and speed, acceleration, agility, awareness, and carrying weren't? lol Did you get that off a site? I hope you didn't look at the game and copy that down, that would have taken FOREVER! Good stuff though.

April 29th, 2005, 5:04 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

I take those are your personal rankings? Not that I disagree with it. Over all it looks quite on the money.

April 29th, 2005, 10:52 pm
RIP Killer

I take those are your personal rankings? Not that I disagree with it. Over all it looks quite on the money.

Nope...Madden ratings.

Honolulu_Blue wrote:
I guess one way to look at it is using Madden ratings. I know it's silly, but it gives an idea how you can see their relative strengths.

Surprisingly, I'd say they're fairly accurate.

April 30th, 2005, 1:12 am
NFL Veteran

I guess correctly stated: My ratings using the Madden system.

April 30th, 2005, 4:40 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2