View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 30th, 2014, 1:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Jahvid Best still has health issues 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: Jahvid Best still has health issues
I didn't want to start a new thread for this and yet it seems to fit.

I suspect that Best's first day won't look anywhere's near this bad...

Quote:
Rough start for Joe McKnight
Posted by Michael David Smith on April 30, 010 11:4 AM ET

A player's performance on the first morning of his first NFL minicamp probably isn't a very good predictor of what kind of career he's going to have. Which is good news for Jets rookie running back Joe McKnight.

According to tweets from various reporters on the scene, McKnight's morning included missing a pair of catchable balls, dropping a pass while falling awkwardly and needing trainers to work on both calves because of cramps.

And, to top it all off, McKnight threw up on the field.

As we noted in today's one-liners, McKnight has been encouraged to follow veteran running backs LaDainian Tomlinson and Shonn Greene around "until they shoo you away." By puking on the field, McKnight may have found a way to make Tomlinson and Greene shoo him away quickly.

April 30th, 2010, 12:54 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

HAHAHAHA

April 30th, 2010, 2:19 pm
Junior Varsity

Remember when the Lions drafted Ernie Sims, he was a concusion machine,and everyone was convinced that he would not hold up in the NFL. They got him a new mouth guard, new style helmet, and I don't believe he had ANY concusions in his time here. I'm sure they will take the same approach with Best, and hopefully it turns out the same way.

April 30th, 2010, 7:46 pm
RIP Killer

Just hope he has better results ;) But I totally agree... I think his one concussion is overblown.

April 30th, 2010, 7:54 pm
Div 1 - Starter

Wackadoo wrote:
Remember when the Lions drafted Ernie Sims, he was a concusion machine,and everyone was convinced that he would not hold up in the NFL. They got him a new mouth guard, new style helmet, and I don't believe he had ANY concusions in his time here. I'm sure they will take the same approach with Best, and hopefully it turns out the same way.

This keeps coming up. I don't know about anybody else but my health concerns with Best wasn't just the one big hit and concussion. It was that he had 2 concussions, a foot surgery and an elbow surgery in the span of two years. I'm still not saying that he's going to be a bust. I just think that it is kind of ridiculous that people were writing off the fact that he had some injuries.

May 1st, 2010, 9:39 am
Hall of Fame Player

SimplePoster wrote:
Wackadoo wrote:

This keeps coming up. I don't know about anybody else but my health concerns with Best wasn't just the one big hit and concussion. It was that he had 2 concussions, a foot surgery and an elbow surgery in the span of two years. I'm still not saying that he's going to be a bust. I just think that it is kind of ridiculous that people were writing off the fact that he had some injuries.

And your point is?

He is a RB. Very few RB's can do their job and not get nagging injuries and the occasional Concussion. Hopefully, Best got his quota of concussions in in college. It just happens. RB's get beaten to a pulp. That's why their careers are so much shorter than any other position. And probably why the NFL has become a passing league.

May 1st, 2010, 10:11 am
Div 1 - Starter

BillySims wrote:
SimplePoster wrote:

And your point is?

He is a RB. Very few RB's can do their job and not get nagging injuries and the occasional Concussion. Hopefully, Best got his quota of concussions in in college. It just happens. RB's get beaten to a pulp. That's why their careers are so much shorter than any other position. And probably why the NFL has become a passing league.

That's my point...he was beat up coming into the NFL, how long will he last? For the record I hope its a long time. He has loads of talent and his highlights are impressive. I'm just afraid we're looking at a long career here, even by RB standards.

May 1st, 2010, 10:26 am
RIP Killer

Billy he only had one freak concussion, not two. He had a few normal college RB injuries, nothing to worry about, ons no one would mention had he not been held out his last season due to a pure freak accident resulting in a concussion. Had that NOT happened, no one would even be concerned with his injury history at all.

May 1st, 2010, 11:40 am
Hall of Fame Player

steensn wrote:
Billy he only had one freak concussion, not two. He had a few normal college RB injuries, nothing to worry about, ons no one would mention had he not been held out his last season due to a pure freak accident resulting in a concussion. Had that NOT happened, no one would even be concerned with his injury history at all.

Your arguing with the wrong guy. I never said he had 2 concussions. I just said that I hope he has had his quota of concussion(s) because it sounded more correct than saying that I hope he has had his quota of concussion.

I am SO on board with the Best Pick. I am driving the band wagon.

May 1st, 2010, 12:57 pm
RIP Killer

Oops... I meant Simple Poster... my bad...

May 1st, 2010, 7:54 pm
Div 1 - Starter

Quote:
Best missed practice Tuesday and Wednesday with a slight concussion sustained in the team's 23-21 win at Arizona State last Saturday, but participated in full during Thursday's workout. The concussion wasn't diagnosed right away.

Tedford said the fact Best has sustained two concussions in a week's span would be taken seriously.

One freak concussion...one not so freak. Regardless I hope Best does well and I'm done discussing the decision to trade up and pick him (at least until he does something brilliant on the field or gets injured).

May 2nd, 2010, 6:41 pm
RIP Killer

Can anyone tell me where the second concusion came? I can't find ANY mention of a second concussion but here in this board.

May 2nd, 2010, 8:53 pm
Div 1 - Starter

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4633427

Quote:
Best missed practice Tuesday and Wednesday with a slight concussion sustained in the team's 23-21 win at Arizona State last Saturday, but participated in full during Thursday's workout. The concussion wasn't diagnosed right away.

He had a concussion the week before he had the ugly one vs Oregon St. It was a minor concussion by all accounts but still two within the span of a week.

May 2nd, 2010, 9:29 pm
RIP Killer

SimplePoster wrote:

Quote:

He had a concussion the week before he had the ugly one vs Oregon St. It was a minor concussion by all accounts but still two within the span of a week.

He didn't even miss a game... just two practices? Are you really hanging this over him? Seriously?

May 3rd, 2010, 10:54 am
NFL Veteran

SimplePoster wrote:

Quote:

If the concussion wasn't diagnosed right away and with the facts of concussions not really understood completely, perhaps the minor concussion is part of the reason his second was so incredibly severe. Also since he had no previous concussion history prior to his first I'm willing to bet they made no changes to his helmet to help prevent future concussions.

May 3rd, 2010, 1:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next