View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 25th, 2014, 12:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Jahvid Best still has health issues 
Div 1 - Starter

Post Re: Jahvid Best still has health issues
steensn wrote:
SimplePoster wrote:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4633427

Quote:
Best missed practice Tuesday and Wednesday with a slight concussion sustained in the team's 23-21 win at Arizona State last Saturday, but participated in full during Thursday's workout. The concussion wasn't diagnosed right away.

He had a concussion the week before he had the ugly one vs Oregon St. It was a minor concussion by all accounts but still two within the span of a week.

He didn't even miss a game... just two practices? Are you really hanging this over him? Seriously?

I said it was a minor concussion. All I'm saying is that two concussions in the span of a week is something that shouldn't just be glossed over like it seemed most fans wanted to do.

May 3rd, 2010, 5:36 pm
RIP Killer

Glossed over, no. But certainly not paraded around like he is injury prone.

May 3rd, 2010, 5:39 pm
Junior Varsity

steensn wrote:
Glossed over, no. But certainly not paraded around like he is injury prone.

Alone? Back-to-back concussions are more then a little worrying by themselves, especially the way the NFL has really made them a point of emphasis going into this season. When you add in a hip injury that cost him the last 3 games of his freshman season and required surgery in '07, then both foot and elbow surgery following the '08 season, to those concussions? Well, while I think "injury prone" might be a bit harsh of a label... I don't see how anyone can look at his overall injury history and not be at least a little concerned, especially at the cost of a 1st round pick.

It's fine that everyone is drooling over (or whatever Schwartz is doing :-s )the guy's highlight reels and getting Barry flashbacks, but I'll feel it's a legitimate concern at the least until we see a couple/few productive, relatively injury-free seasons out of him. That's all.

May 3rd, 2010, 8:09 pm
Casey Fitzsimmons just retired in large part due to multiple concussions, many of them considered "minor." With that so recent I don't know why so many are so willing to discount Best's closed-head injuries.

May 3rd, 2010, 8:14 pm
Walk On

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Casey Fitzsimmons just retired in large part due to multiple concussions, many of them considered "minor." With that so recent I don't know why so many are so willing to discount Best's closed-head injuries.

The dude had several concussions that had been building up. Best had basically one concussion that got worse. Which is something that needs to be better analyzed. It made the second episode that much worse. But most people have a concussion at some point in their life that doesn't mean that everyone is predisposed to the effects of a concussion and that any career that could lead to concussions are out of the question. People like Fitz and Chrebet had a huge history of them and Fitz lasted almost 8 years and Chrebet over a decade.

May 4th, 2010, 1:35 pm
RIP Killer

Topweasel wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

The dude had several concussions that had been building up. Best had basically one concussion that got worse. Which is something that needs to be better analyzed. It made the second episode that much worse. But most people have a concussion at some point in their life that doesn't mean that everyone is predisposed to the effects of a concussion and that any career that could lead to concussions are out of the question. People like Fitz and Chrebet had a huge history of them and Fitz lasted almost 8 years and Chrebet over a decade.

Very well put...

May 4th, 2010, 1:52 pm
Topweasel wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Sure, but Best has a history of them before he's ever played in the NFL. Fitzsimmons did not. Fitz was also a part-time tight end, which should last about 3X's as long in the NFL. You do the math!

:cheers:

May 4th, 2010, 7:47 pm
Position Coach

Can we please stop whining about this pick for a while.

May 4th, 2010, 8:48 pm
Killwill25 wrote:

I don't see anyone whining. If you don't want the cons of the pick discussed then don't read the thread. This isn't some incessant bash fest of the pick, it's just a discussion of some very real injury concerns over it, which are all warranted.

May 4th, 2010, 9:20 pm
Veteran General Manager

steensn wrote:
Topweasel wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Very well put...

X2.

Also, I lay the responsibility of the second Concussion squarely on the shoulders of Tedford. Everyone knows and has known, for at least 3 years now, that you have to protect a player from himself following a concussion. There is no way Best should have played the game where he got the severe concussion. General rule of thumb is at least 1 game.

May 4th, 2010, 9:30 pm
Veteran General Manager

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

I don't see anyone whining. If you don't want the cons of the pick discussed then don't read the thread. This isn't some incessant bash fest of the pick, it's just a discussion of some very real injury concerns over it, which are all warranted.

NFL PLAYER = AT RISK OF INJURY

I don't care if a player has an injury history from college or not. Players come to the NFL all the time with no injuries in College only to wind up on the trainers table for 90% of their stay in the NFL.

I am sure there are also players that come to the NFL with a lengthy injury history in college only to rarely get injured in the NFL. It is all a matter of being at the wrong spot in the wrong angle at the wrong time and you are injured.

You could step outside of your house tomorrow morning only to have a meteor fall on your head. Very long odds of it happening. But, it could happen. Are you staying in bed?

May 4th, 2010, 9:38 pm
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

NFL PLAYER = AT RISK OF INJURY

I don't care if a player has an injury history from college or not. Players come to the NFL all the time with no injuries in College only to wind up on the trainers table for 90% of their stay in the NFL.

I am sure there are also players that come to the NFL with a lengthy injury history in college only to rarely get injured in the NFL. It is all a matter of being at the wrong spot in the wrong angle at the wrong time and you are injured.

You could step outside of your house tomorrow morning only to have a meteor fall on your head. Very long odds of it happening. But, it could happen. Are you staying in bed?

You can blame whomever you want, but once it happens it is more likely to happen again. This is like blaming a FB for an MCL after a missed block and viscous hit, and then pretending that the injury never happened.

May 4th, 2010, 9:58 pm
Position Coach

Our starting WR, QB, RB, and TE all have injury issues as well that maybe scarrier than Best's.

Last edited by Killwill25 on May 5th, 2010, 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 5th, 2010, 1:48 am
Position Coach

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

You are whining

May 5th, 2010, 1:50 am
Killwill25 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

You are whining

Absolutely not. I've simply pointed out that there are very real concerns with this guy, and refuted claims to the contrary. I'm sorry you feel as others on this board do, that when someone disagrees with you that they're whining.

May 5th, 2010, 9:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next