View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 18th, 2014, 9:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Could be oldest player ever drafted? 
RIP Killer

Post Could be oldest player ever drafted?
A Delicious Place To Call Home
The new home of the Louisville Cardinals basketball team has its new name, and it's finger-lickin' good: The KFC Yum! Center. No word on whether one of those Double Down sandwiches comes with every seat.
Brandon Crawford Could Become The Oldest Player Ever Drafted By The NFL
Ndamukong Suh in Sandwich Form
Jared Allen Profanely Defending His Fiancee, The Latest Scoop From Cell Phone Nation
Today in Timely Headlines: UL-Lafayette Football Players Nabbed for Weed Violation
Press Coverage: Drafting the NFL Draft Telecasts
Offsides: The Lost James Johnson Posters
Shanoff's WUC: Big Ben, LeBron, Draft, Duke
NBC's Financial Losses From the Olympics Only Slightly Less Wretched Than Expected
Big Ten Expansion: Bigger Isn't Better
It's Too Early to Worry About Where Jason Heyward Hits
Planned Parenthood Responds to Tebow Super Bowl Ad
The Celtics: Classless as They Wanna Be
Road to Game Day: A Two-For-One Weekend in Morgantown and Columbus
Don Imus Has Really Been Working on That Racial Sensitivity Thing
Having Faced The Music, Now The Trojans Wait
Offsides: Rock 'Em, Sock 'Em LeGarrette Blount
2008 MLB All-Star Game Liveblog
Blasphemy: LaVar Arrington Calls Gibbs 'Coward'
Black Players Begin to Voice Concerns, Opposition About Rush Limbaugh As An Owner
Shoals Unlimited: Celtics' Quest for Immortality
89falcon said:
No disrespect Becki, but the Church must have changed a heckuva lot since I left if fornica...
lordhlatts said:
steelcrazy...i don't think that drafting a guy who will be a bust is going to bring the fans...
Sayitaintsosa23 said:
They should take baby steps by adding Mizzou right away. Mizzou seems like a no-brainer in t...
steelcrazy2 said:
Tebow will go to the Jags, To fill seats for a attendance struggling team.
londonjoe said:
Honestly cannot say that I would have said or done anything different than him in that situa...
lady_becki said:
Oh Yay here we go, I am about to set the record straight, mind you this is not coming from s...
bveo12 said:
That ND poster is rich. Raghib Ismail dripped with "Catholic Identity" way back in the late...
umich4life said:
I agree with Buckeyenut-- 1 team=strategic acquisition. 3+ teams=conglomerate. C...
jcurtis said:
While GCM has the right idea. I would only invite ONE team to join. The bigger the conferenc...
buckeyenut said:
The thought of add more than one team to the Big Ten makes no sense. A 16 team conference, t...
April 2010
March 2010
February 2010
January 2010
December 2009
November 2009
October 2009
September 2009
August 2009
July 2009
June 2009
May 2009
April 2009
March 2009
February 2009
January 2009
December 2008
November 2008
October 2008
September 2008
August 2008
July 2008
June 2008
May 2008
April 2008
March 2008
February 2008
January 2008
December 2007
November 2007
NFL (1449)
NBA (1188)
MLB (800)
WakeUpCall (558)
DanShanoff (480)
College Football (423)
NCAA Football (345)
FirstCuts (311)
CollegeBasketball (280)
College Basketball (268)

Brandon Crawford Could Become The Oldest Player Ever Drafted By The NFL
Tuesday, April 20, 2010
Posted By Michael Tunison 2:30 PM
After about the first 50 or so picks in the NFL Draft, the news-coverage teams typically run out of soft-focus stories and turn their attention to what individual teams need. There's a little patter about the scouting profile of a particular selection and maybe a discussion of how much of a "project" he is and how much "upside" he has. Nevertheless, the drama is pretty much over.
Except every year, there's one or two compelling stories about later round picks that don't really get any notice until that player is either getting selected or the draft is about to end with them not getting taken. Two years ago, it was safety Caleb Campbell, who was selected by the Detroit Lions, only to be told he could not play in the NFL because of a requirement from the Department of Defense that said no attendee could play a professional sport for two years following their graduation. Being that it's been two years, the Lions have made a formal contract offer to Campbell.

This year, another potential late round pick is worth noting, but not because of institutional baggage. Defensive end Brandon Crawford spent four years in the Marine Corps before enrolling at Ball State in 2006. This was after 10 years of not playing football. He made the most of the opportunity.

Ball State defensive end Brandon Crawford received All-Mid-American Conference honors, started 39 consecutive games, had 16 career sacks and was a two-year team captain.
The problem being, of course, that's now 33 years old, meaning his window of playing in the NFL is minuscule right out of the gate. While it's possible a team could see him as a positive influence on the locker room, that's hardly reason enough to use a pick on him, especially when in all likelihood he's be available as an undrafted free agent who could be brought in for training camp.

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/the_sp ... by_the_nfl

April 20th, 2010, 5:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]