View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 24th, 2014, 4:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Done!!! Grade the picks 
NFL Veteran

Post Done!!! Grade the picks
Grade the picks. Here's a template.

Quote:
1) Mike Williams WR USC:

2) Shaun Cody DT USC:

3) Stanley Wilson CB Stanford:

5) Dan Orlovsky QB Connecticut:

6a) Bill Swancutt DE Oregon St:

6b) Jonathan Goddard DE/LB Marshall:

1) Mike Williams WR USC: B+
VALUE: Great value here. BMW was the top offensive player on my board. No.2 overall behind DJ... who was still available.
FIT: Complete alters our offense to one with the potential to be the most dominant one. DJ might have been a bigger impact, because BMW has to share the ball.

2) Shaun Cody DT USC: A-
VALUE: Excellent value here. He's a first rounder who has fallen. Not as surprising as Kevin Jones fall last year, but he's a stud. Minus because there's a chance he could have been available just a few picks later. But it's likely he could have been snagged by Oakland who picked at 38.
FIT: Another Shaun on the line. Next to Shaun Rogers as a DT he becomes a dangerous interior pass rusher. On running downs he can be moved to DE and be a seriously big body to occupy space, with some pass rushing ability.

3) Stanley Wilson CB Stanford: I/C
VALUE: Rated to go earlier by some. Not even on some other boards. Not enough information to be able to give a complete grade. Had a bigger name DE like Tuck available among other solid prospects.
FIT: If PFW is correct, they say he has more upside than a guy like Pacman Jones. Listening to some rumblings it sounds if the Lions are looking for a Bryant replacement. The lions are high on Smith, and this guy. Could be the future at our corners with some grooming.

5) Dan Orlovsky QB Connecticut: B
VALUE: He fits right where he was picked. Could've been a 4th rounder.
FIT: Just as the Lions intended, they got their 3rd string rookie signal caller. Has a decent arm, very intelligent, needs some grooming. Perfect situation for him to pick up the offense. If Joey fails. We go into camp next year with Orlovsky, a high round QB we pick next year, and probably a free agent to decide our future. Orlovsky is part of the QB insurance policy.

6a) Bill Swancutt DE Oregon St: A+
VALUE: Excellent value. A deep supply of DE's and a heavy demand of CB's and WR's let this prototypically sized DE with a great football head fall to the sixth round. I had him a late 2nd, for sure 3rd round pick. Was in the 3rd echelon of DE's behind Group 1: (Pollack, Erasmus James, Shawne Merriman) and Group 2: (Spears, Ware, Tuck, Roth, Cody).
FIT: Another cog in the revolving wheel of solid and decent DE's in our powerful Defensive line. Will help to keep our line fresh.

6b) Jonathan Goddard DE/LB Marshall: C
VALUE: Tweener who would have fit better as a rush linebacker in a 3-4. I liked Shazor or Browner at SS/CB/LB. Might've been more prudent to add to the middle of our secondary instead of the front seven. Or add to our offensive line. Would be a D if picked higher, but is our last pick. Which is pretty good value for the NCAA sack leader.
FIT: Hard to fit this guy. He becomes an undersized pass rusher off the edge. And becomes a liability in coverage as a linebacker. Jauron doesn't rush linebackers frequently... which would be his strength in our defense. Will be a special teamer.

GPA = 3.0 B
A pretty good draft that took good value players across the board. Not as flashy as last year, but not a draft that was a waste by any means. Could've gone in different directions that would have made the team better and garnering an 'A' draft grade. Goes to show that, going Best Player or Bust might not be the most prudent thing to do. I thought Derrick Johnson would've made a bigger impact on our team than Mike Williams even though I can understand Mike Williams being the top player on their board. Moving up to get Cody was questionable (Cody's not questionable Brian, it's the move, the move!), but trading a future 4th rounder for a 5th and 6th rounder made up for that move which was ultimately a deal. Everyone they drafted will have a role on our team. Goddard's role is questionable on offense on defense, but they'll find a place for him on special teams.

April 24th, 2005, 5:12 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I hope they bring in Michael Munoz and Brandon Browner as UDFAs. Those guys have a lot of talent and were slated to go near the end of day 1.

April 24th, 2005, 5:20 pm
NFL Veteran

I hope they bring in Michael Munoz and Brandon Browner as UDFAs. Those guys have a lot of talent and were slated to go near the end of day 1.

exactly! but these guys are going to have their choice of where to go. Let's hope they have an eye for Detroit. Earnest Shazor being a hometown kid, might want to stay home.

April 24th, 2005, 5:22 pm
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Reasoning: I actually love this pick, he's a great wideout and we took BPA, which I love tacking BPA rather then drafting for needs, but I question his skills as of now.

2.)Shaun Cody DE/DT USC: B+
Reasoning: I also think that he's a great player and I'm happy that we took him, but how we traded for him wasnt very appealing...

3.)Stanley Wilson CB Stanford: C
Reasoning: I dont think we drafted him just to be a CB, because he's very versatile and I think he will get some plays in @ FS and special teams which makes his value rise a bit...

5.)Dan Orlovski QB Conneticut: A-
Reasoning: He and Jeff will push Joe like no ones bussiness, and the'll push him a little more becuase of our added weapon

6a.)Bill Swancutt DE Oregon St: A+
Reasoning: This is probable are best pick of the draft, as I think he's a steal in the 6th round and I think he will get a big part on our rotation between DE's on our team...

6b.)Jonathan Goddard DE/OLB Marshall: D+
Reasoning: We dont need a DE nor an OLB, Matt should have selected either a middle LB or Shazor with this pick...

OVERALL DRAFT GRADE: B

Michael Huff for DROY

Last edited by Harrington is da man on April 24th, 2005, 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 24th, 2005, 5:30 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Shaun Cody DE/DT USC: B+

Stanley Wilson CB Stanford: C+

Dan Orlovski QB Conneticut: A-

Bill Swancutt DE Oregon St: A

Jonathan Goddard DE/OLB Marshall: D

April 24th, 2005, 5:32 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

You guys are easy graders. Anyway, what are the standards? I need that defined before I would submit my grades.

April 24th, 2005, 5:35 pm
NFL Veteran

You guys are easy graders. Anyway, what are the standards? I need that defined before I would submit my grades.

You make up your own standards I guess. Mines was based on pick value and how they fit on the team. It's a quantitative way to get your opinion on how we did with each pick.

April 24th, 2005, 5:38 pm
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I didnt follow any real standards, but I based on how good that player was in college, could he or couldnt he make an imediate impact on our team, our depth at each position we selected at, and if it was a good value pick...

Michael Huff for DROY

April 24th, 2005, 5:39 pm
Profile WWW
Pro Bowl Player

6b.)Jonathan Goddard DE/OLB Marshall: D+
Reasoning: We dont need a DE nor an OLB, Matt should have selected either a middle LB or Shazor with this pick...

Exactly Other than that he was a value pick, and may be better than one or two guys we have signed at LB this was a pointless pick when there were other needs we could have filled..... Shazor is a great example. there were some GOOD Wide receivers we could have put at the 5 spot if M & M werent afraid of the media they would have gone that route.... At this point makes no sense... We shall see

April 24th, 2005, 6:57 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Benchwarmer

Location: Tampa, Florida...my pool is 90 today and it'll be 90 for Christmas morning!

2)A... COMPLETE D-LINEMAN qtank.gif

3)B-...SPEEDY CB ROUNDS OUT SOLID YOUNG UNIT newbie.gif

5)B... SMART, STRONG, PROJECT =D>

6)A+... THE STEAL \:D/ CAN YOU SAY EDGE!!!!

6)C+... 16 SKS LED NATION AND GETS HIM THE +... FUTURE ST MVP :thumbsup:

OVERALL GPA: 3.5 B+

IT'S NOT AN 'A' BUT IT SURE LOOKS GOOD. THIS CROP SAYS IMPACT AND SOLID, STRONG CHARACTER & AGGRESIVE. PLUS THEY TOOK A PLAYER THAT I THINK IS GOING TO BE OUR NEXT (YEAH I'M GONNA SAY IT) BARRY SANDERS! MARK MY WORDS THE LEAGUE WILL FEAR MIKE WILLIAMS :shock: AND WITH CHARLIE AND ROY ON BOARD THEY'RE ARE GOING TO HAVE A HELL OF A TIME HANDLING HIM. THE LIONS ARE ON DECK AND THEY'RE BRINGING AN AWFULLY BIG STICK. IT'S A GREAT TIME TO BE A LIONS FAN.

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

April 24th, 2005, 7:04 pm
Pop Warner Rookie

Post draft
Williams A++, Totally off of Detroits charts. If i read it correctly, we didnt in our wildest dreams figure williams would drop to 10. Thanks Viqueens! Joey, your on the clock, get er dun! :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

April 24th, 2005, 7:50 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

How could Millen not run a mock where this guy fell past 9? If the Lions had not drafted him no one would have touched him till 14 at the earliest, because he is a possesion receiver that will struggle to get 1000 yards. In Detroit he will be a major red zone threat, and 8-12 TDs is a tangible impact, but over the longer term DJ would have been a better player. You can say Williams is injury insurance and will help the offense, but over the longer run it will be impossible to afford all 3 WRs. Also, to be a real playoff contender you need a top 10 offense and top 10 defense. The offense could have launched to that level without Williams, the defense needed help at this spot. Finally, if you wanted a slot receiver there were cheaper alternatives. By trading down twice even at less than fair value, Millen could have landed Jones, a much better athlete and over the longer term a better player. Also, I believe we could just have kept Az as a fall back. He is not the red zone threat that Williams is, but he is better in the openfield.

2) Shaun Cody DT USC:
Good value and good fit. No need to trade a pick, because there were other players of slightly lesser value available in the event that he did not slide. If I knew for certain someone was targeting him than I would have traded the fourth too.

3) Stanley Wilson CB Stanford: More upside than Pac-Man? That is stretching it. He is a project that will have a big fight to make the team except that his bonus guarantees a roster spot. They missed Alex Smith by one. If they had not used ammunition on Cody, they could have nabbed him

5) Dan Orlovsky QB Connecticut: Ok, but McPherson was a much better athlete and better fit for the WCO it seems to me. With quarterback projects I believe acquiring one every year and taking the guy with the most upside.

6a) Bill Swancutt DE Oregon St: He dropped because he does not have the minimum physical attributes to make it in the NFL. He will be cut.

6b) Jonathan Goddard DE/LB Marshall: Doesn't sound like he has the mentality for special teams so he has no chance of making an NFL roster. A sack artist at Marshall means little. If he did run a legitimate 4.65 and I knew his short shuttle I might change my mind.

Last year Millen worked a master piece letting the draft come to him and forcing the issue at the critical times. This year the draft did not fall for us and Millen had no back up plan or the ammunition to change how the chip were falling. Millen revealed the same pattern as poor drafts in the past. Taking a skilled player that excelled in college, but lack the fire and physical attributes to be dominant in the NFL. Then his board was all over the place to please various position coaches to give them their projects. During the critical rounds 3-5 where very interesting players were falling we had no choices.

What Millen should have done is the hard choice he did not make was to trade down for less than optimum value. This was logical because Williams was not a top 10 talent on most teams' boards. At 15 say, he could have drafted DJ (or Mike Williams) and had the ammunition to move up in round 1, 2, or 3 or kept our fourth rounder. Right now, only three of these players will make our roster and only the first two will contribute and none of them has pro bowl upside (Orlovsky is emergency QB). If he had gone along my scenario he could have walked away with:

DJ/Pollack (rookie of the year candidates)
+
Patterson/Spencer/Pool (Pro Bowl potential)
+
A. Smith (contributor in short game and future TE starter)

+
McPherson or LeFors (a better QB prospect)

You cannot grade a draft until 4 years later at least. Maybe Williams is a star and maybe some of those guys develop better than I am thinking. We will see. But if my reading is correct, Millen did not maximize his picks, getting neither the optimum immediate or future impact for this team. Resulting grade: D. Below average.

April 24th, 2005, 7:54 pm
Div 1 - Starter

Wonderful analysis, Yorick. I appreciate you not being afraid to call it like it is. I agree with nearly everything you said. I would give the Lions a C- because I sort of like Orlovsky and Cody. I think even if MW does have what it takes to be a great WR in this league, either he or CRog (because of the addition of MW) will go to waste on this roster. And, in any event, we'll be forced to cut or trade one of these WRs if either Rogers or MW ever shows the aptitide Roy-boy has already shown....

My favorite day ever as a Lions fan.

Somehow landing the Ndamo-nator would be the second best day ever.

April 24th, 2005, 11:53 pm
QB Coach

Goddard (electroincally timed) at the Combine ran a 4.67 40 and a 4.19 short shuttle.

April 25th, 2005, 12:27 am
Profile WWW
NFL Veteran

I am in complete agreement with you guys about how much better a draft this could've been had we gone a different direction in a few rounds. But the picks aren't so bad that I would give us a hurting grade. Virtually each pick were great values. But I'm not going to hate on these kids because Millen or whoever was responsible for making the picks chose them. Grade Millen a C or whatever, but I don't think these kids deserve to be lashed out at.

As for value, Mike Williams and Derrick Johnson may as well been tied for first on my draft board. But... I think we were better suited to taking Derrick Johnson, since he would come into a set defense and contributed with probably more impact than any rookie in this draft. Mike Williams has as much if not more talent than DJ, but he comes in and has to share the ball. Don't be mad at the potential we now have to become the most dangerous offense in the NFL... but being mad at not pushing our defense into elite status is warranted.

If I had my way, I wouldn't have traded up for Cody either. He could've fell to us.

I like the Swancutt pick. He's not a probowler, but I wouldn't say he won't cut it in the NFL. I think he can play in this league.

Anyway, the picks themselves weren't bad. For me we got enough value out of it, so that it will help our team. I think A 'B' grade is fair. What would've made an A grade?

1. Derrick Johnson
2. Shaun Cody
3. Alex Smith
4. Andrew Walter/Adrian McPherson
6. Wesley Britt

What would've gotten an A+?

If Millen traded down 3 spots and neeted an additional 3rd rounder. Use the 2nd and lions 3rd to trade up into round 1. And like so:

1a. Derrick Johnson
1b. Heath Miller
3. Matt Roth
4. Adrian McPherson/Andrew Walter
6. Wesley Britt

Alas no trade down was there by Millen's account. Anyway the picks aren't so bad that the draft warrants a D. Well I don't think so. We are improved after the draft.... but I agree it could've been better.

April 25th, 2005, 1:06 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next