View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 7:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Done!!! Grade the picks 
Hall of Fame Player

Our choices were to take BMW as insurance against Charles Rogers collarbone; Or, DJ as insurance against Boss Baileys knee; Or, Aaron Rogers as insurance against Joey's last year to prove himself. Or, trade down a few spots in order to maneuver a 4th pick in the first 3 rounds. (In point of fact I'd have been OK if we got a pick in next years draft for firepower to trade up to get Matt Lienart).

No matter what Millen decided to do it was going to be the wrong choice in someone's opinion... Including mine... He should have traded down. What the team needed was DE, CB, WR, TE, QB. DE being the priority. And 4 of these really needed to be in the first 3 rounds in order to provide an upgrade.

Last year Millen did something that I thought was impossible by scoring KJ late in round 1. This year he again did something I thought was impossible - he compounded his own mistake to make it worse. Millen gave up a 4th round pick he didn't need to give up then gave up next years 4th round pick to get a project QB and an unknown guy who likely won't make the team. Any guy off the street with tourette syndrome could have done that for us.

For all the trades and drama what we got out of the draft are two solid players, Williams and Cody. Two players who could contribute on any team in the league. Everyone else is a project with potential if not a question mark.

I'm not going to give an "A" or "B" grade to a team that had 2 picks out of the first 41 and did nothing meaningful with the rest. I agree with HB in that I'm not going to hold it against the players that Millen chose them - but at the same time I'm not going to credit Millen for drafting a guy like Swancutt that everyone else passed on. Please stop telling me we got "value" by selecting a player no one before you wanted. And I don't believe we added depth if the only reason we can find a roster spot for someone is because we just gave them a bonus.

HB said we make up our own standards. I agree with Yorick that you really can't fairly judge a draft for several years but on the surface, today, I give the draft a "C". As for Millen - he gets a "D" for panicking and being under prepared for the draft.

April 25th, 2005, 7:47 am
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Even I'm not that down on the draft. :lol:

Just because nobody else wants a player doesn't mean he's bad. It means that the other teams didn't notice him, had other needs, or didn't like him. Only two teams liked Tom Brady, does that make him bad? Does that make him bad value? Just because a player slides doens't make him not worth a pick.

April 25th, 2005, 8:04 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

Even I'm not that down on the draft. :lol:

Just because nobody else wants a player doesn't mean he's bad. It means that the other teams didn't notice him, had other needs, or didn't like him. Only two teams liked Tom Brady, does that make him bad? Does that make him bad value? Just because a player slides doens't make him not worth a pick.

I didn't say he's bad, nor did I say he's not worth the pick. But I don't call it value when no one else wanted him. Something has value when others covet it - no one coveted him or they would have selected him. That doesn't mean he can't become valuable; but the word value is dramatically overused relative to the draft.

April 25th, 2005, 8:23 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Does that mean that Justin Tuck wasn't value in Rd 3 because teams passed him up? Or that MacPherson wasn't value in Rd 5?

April 25th, 2005, 8:24 am
Div 1 - Starter

Yeah, 57, this is not a strong argument considering that every pick any team ever makes beyond the #1 was passed on by another team...for a reason.....

My favorite day ever as a Lions fan.

Somehow landing the Ndamo-nator would be the second best day ever.

April 25th, 2005, 9:19 am
Site Admin

6b) Jonathan Goddard DE/LB Marshall: (D) I liked Shazor and he filled more of a need at this point. We will see hopefully I am dead wrong.

6a) Bill Swancutt DE Oregon St: (A) from all I have heard we got a huge value here. Len Pasq said it was his favorite (or one of them) 2nd day picks. I think I heard he led all Dlinemen with sacks (37) :shock:

5) Dan Orlovsky QB Connecticut: (C) We got the 3rd QB we needed.

3) Stanley Wilson CB Stanford: (D???) I don't know. He is fast but we have 5 CBs already. Maybe the thought of him as a stud special teams/return man/and backup CB???

2) Shaun Cody DT USC: (A) This guy can play inside and replace Big Daddy soon or move outside. Versatility, leadership, and a player. Literally valuewise very little distinction between him and the top DLmen taken and was projected by many as a 1st rounder.

1) Mike Williams WR USC: (A) Even if he is a 3rd receiver will have MORE impact on the Lions than Troy Williamson on the Vikes. We were terrible in the redzone on the rare occasion we could get there. And I believe we were 30th in the league for 3rd down conversions. A big possesion receiver is EXACTLY what we needed. People say he won't "touch" the ball. He doesn't have to. He limits teams ability to double team and forces teams to run more nickle and dime packages to 'prevent' our trio of receivers from going crazy. That opens up our running game and you will not see Kevin Jones slowing down in the 2nd half anymore cause teams cannot afford to stack the line to stop him now. I would have been very happy with DJ but the difference here is that DJ possibly upgrades a position where as BMW can possibly change the entire offense and how defenses have to game plan for us. Being as poor as we have on 3rd downs this should dramatically help and keep our defense off the field much longer.

Overrall grade is a C+.

We have to remember that time will tell and that many many times the "experts" are wrong so I have even more doubts about our abilities to predict success and failure. I am always excited after the draft because all we know is that these guys have potential to improve our team. NO ONE knows for certain if they really will so being frustrated over something so inexact seems futile. I gave a C+ and that may seem like a poor mark but it is just above average. I my mind the grade suggests they did a bit more than enough to improve our team. The real grade comes when the season starts.

April 25th, 2005, 9:42 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

Does that mean that Justin Tuck wasn't value in Rd 3 because teams passed him up? Or that MacPherson wasn't value in Rd 5?

And

blueblood1 wrote:
Yeah, 57, this is not a strong argument considering that every pick any team ever makes beyond the #1 was passed on by another team...for a reason.....

So that we don't spend our day debating the best definition of the word value let me say it like this:

If 32 guys walked into a bar filled with 250+ Playboy Centerfold hopefuls and each guy were allowed to take 7 girls home with them. Each guy would decide what was most valuable to them and proceed accordingly based on obtaining measurements, a short interview and a video highlighting each girls unique talents. Consensus would begin to form regarding each lady as to where they should be "slotted". Some guys would conform to that while others would not; preferring to judge the ladies based on their own desires and circumstances.

Undoubtedly somebody would trade all 7 of their picks for the right to chose one girl sooner and somebody else would take that offer. Somebody else would tell everybody he had his eye on one girl only to change his mind at the last minute and allowing her to slide to the 24th pick. Somebody with pick 28 would select some drug induced slut. Somebody would just lose it completely and chose any random girl with the biggest boobs and then trade up and do it again. Some guy would painstakingly scrutinize every single aspect of his first choice only to get her home and discover she doesn't swallow because he forgot to ask. And so on... And so on...

The point is each guy measures what is important to him and selects accordingly based on their own belief system. Each girl will eventually fulfill some role; some will be available longer than others and maybe they shouldn't be; some will get selected before they should have. Some guys will just select what he believes to be the 'best available' girl and someone else will try to fill a need he has. Beauty (and value) is in the eye of the beholder. Ironically, owning something sometimes tends to make it less valuable while wanting something you don't own makes it more valuable. Each of the 32 guys won't know if he got a bargain for a while yet; he'll need to observe his girls during game time for a while - sometimes a long while - before ultimately deciding if his pick was one of value. Sooner or later some guy will decide he's disappointed with a pick because of a lack of performance and trade her to another guy. In the new relationship she will flourish and the first guy will be scratching his head saying why couldn't she have done that for me.

In the end, many guys, even with 7 girls of his own, will be looking at somebody else's girl saying, "I wish...".

April 25th, 2005, 10:10 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

April 25th, 2005, 10:13 am
Profile WWW
Pro Bowl Player

I
Some guy would painstakingly scrutinize every single aspect of his first choice only to get her home and discover she doesn't swallow because he forgot to ask. And so on... And so on...

In the end, many guys, even with 7 girls of his own, will be looking at somebody else's girl saying, "I wish...".

I love people with unique perspectives, An :shock: eye opening qood post 57... I loved it :idea:

April 25th, 2005, 10:26 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

April 25th, 2005, 1:37 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Benchwarmer

The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that trading up in the 2nd to get Cody was the wise thing to do. Oakland had the 38th pick, Oakland had big needs on defense, they could have easily gotten Cody, it would have made sense for the Raiders to draft Cody. So after I have thought about it a bit, I don't mind giving up a fourth round pick, because I think Cody will be awesome.

My grades

1) Williams A+
2) Cody A+
3) Wilson D
4) Orlovsky B
5) Swancutt A+
6) Goddard C

Overall Grade B+

April 25th, 2005, 6:43 pm
RIP Killer

There will be an article with my grades for the Lions picks individually and overall, as well as my viewpoints. However, I would like to add some commentary.

1. Mike Williams-didn't fill a dire need, but definitely gives the offense a facelift. This pick forces Mariucci to make drastic changes to the offensive playbook in the right direction. It also allows the Lions to use Williams in the slot next to CRog and draw coverage underneath while allowing Charles to go deep with single man coverage on him. I just don't like the fact that Millen didn't even consider a trade to get additional first day picks and take a player that would impact the defense.

2. Shaun Cody-I like the player, but don't like the trade. Cody is another 'luxury' selection in that he doesn't fill an immediate need. Yes, the Lions needed to sign another DT, but not a starter. Yes, Cody adds interior pass rush skills. But the Lions need outside pass rush skills more, and could have had it with Matt Roth at pick #41. Or they could have added speed at the middle linebacker position with Odell Thurman.

3. Stanley Wilson-Their worst pick by a LARGE margin. He was chosen a round too early in my estimation. Wilson was not a very productive player at Stanford. He is not physical, despite the occasional highlight shown on ESPN. He has great speed, but lacks awareness and doesn't break on the ball very well. There were far greater needs that could have been addressed here than to take a possible dime back. He won't challenge Bryant or Smith for their positions on the roster. Justin Tuck should have been the pick.

4. Dan Orlovsky-A pocket passer for the WCO? Millen says this guy has a strong arm, but I just don't see it. His mechanics need improvement and his pocket awareness is lacking. Adrian McPherson would have been a better value pick here. Given the strength of next years draft, I don't think trading our fourth rounder in 2006 was all that wise either.

5. Bill Swancutt-Love his intensity, don't love his lack of speed or athleticism. He will probably make this team as he has special teams skills and the Lions typically carry five defensive ends on the roster. He won't be able to translate his college pass rush ability to the pros and that is why he dropped to the sixth round. Pretty much a slower version of Jared DeVries to me. The Lions would have been better off taking Joel Dreesen, the tight end out of Colorado State.

6. Jonathon Goddard-Very fast for a DE.....and very small. He will move to the outside linebacker position. Unless the Lions move Dirty Davis or Ted Lehman inside, he will be a practice squad member. With the idea that the Lions were going to release Brock Marion anyways, I would have looked at taking FS James Butler to backup Holt.

April 26th, 2005, 11:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2