View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 29th, 2014, 5:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Suh or who? 
Mr. Irrelevant

Post Suh or who?
Is there anyone on this board that doesn't want Suh? I was just wondering because I haven't seen a whole lot of "draft (insert name not Suh here)".

Personally, I'd like for us to take Suh but I'd also be ok with trading down a number of spots and drafting Joe Haden. I trust this FO much more than I did the last so I have a feeling that I won't be so PO'ed after hearing of whomever they pick.

April 20th, 2010, 9:30 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: Suh or who?
Id love to have suh, but if the lions think okung or mccoy are better I'm ok with it. Id much rather trade back though and get another first or second+

April 20th, 2010, 9:43 pm
Modmin Dude

FWIW I think they'll end up trading with Washington for Haynesworth and swapping firsts and draft Okung or possibly another trade down.

For the record, I think they're in a no lose situation. This FO has shown itself to be rather savvy and as long as they don't sway from their plan, they should be able to come out of this draft with at least 3 quality starters.

Then again the Wings just won a good game and its about 90 degrees in here, I could be a bit delirious 8-[ :paranoid: headbang.gif

April 20th, 2010, 9:51 pm
RIP Killer

I'd rather have Suh than Haynesworth/Okung.

I'm not sold on Okung. Backus would be then moved to RT and Gosder would backup and could potentially be moved inside to compete w/Sims. Okung is not a top run blocker and has to put on more muscle in order to be able to handle guys like Jared Allen.

I'd rather have Suh, who's a #1 value, rather than an OT who would be a #10 value any other year.

April 21st, 2010, 9:50 am
Modmin Dude

conversion02 wrote:

I'm not sold on Okung. Backus would be then moved to RT and Gosder would backup and could potentially be moved inside to compete w/Sims. Okung is not a top run blocker and has to put on more muscle in order to be able to handle guys like Jared Allen.

I'd rather have Suh, who's a #1 value, rather than an OT who would be a #10 value any other year.

Why wouldn't Backus be able to move inside to LG?

April 21st, 2010, 10:05 am
Player of the Year - Defense

Because we just traded for Sims? Schwartz said Backus had a probowl season and then they're going to move him inside? Won't happen. Okung is the best LT in the draft, but not even close to the Best Player. And if you want versatility for the line, Trent Williams is the better athlete and played both sides in College, so he can step in for Gos this year, and move to left next. If we trade down to #4, I'd take Berry. Better Player and secondary is a bigger need than OL.

If 2 its Suh.

April 21st, 2010, 10:10 am
RIP Killer

I'd love to swap 1st with Washington for Haynesworth and take Okung. I think moving Backus to RT and pushing Gosder into Peterson's spot will give our line a much better look and feel. I really believe Gosder is a Robert Gallery type player that can shine at OG in this type of OL scheme.

That being said, I think the Redskins won't move up to take Okung but let him most likely fall to them.

April 21st, 2010, 10:40 am
Red Shirt Freshman

I don't want Berry. I know I am in the minority on him, but I don't want him in the top 10. Laron Landry in 07, Mike Huff and Donte Whitner in 06, Sean Taylor in 05, Roy Williams in 02 are all the safties taken in the top 10 since 1995. I am not a fan of drafting safties that high. Especially when we already have 1 good starter. I am also not a fan of drafting in the top 10 and then switching positions for that player (Eric Berry playing CB). I don't want him.

I would rather take Suh #2 period. If the Lions were to trade back I wouldnt mind seeing Rolando Mclain's name called. If we trade out of the top 10 I can accept Derrick Morgan, Jason Pierre Paul, Joe Haden, Dan Williams or even Kyle Wilson.

April 21st, 2010, 10:41 am
RIP Killer

TheRealWags wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

Bigger hole at RT and Backus doesn't get enough push in the run game to be effective at OG (IMO only). Sims is adequate, not a world beater, so I wouldn't hand him a starting spot just yet.

I'd rather see Gos move inside, since he's clearly failed outside. I personally feel Gos would be better at OG than Backus and Backus would be better at RT than Gos would.

April 21st, 2010, 10:51 am
Junior Varsity

Suh would be my first choice but if he's off the board or they decide to go with Okung I'd be fine with the decision. The last year+ worth of draft choices and personnel moves has me believing this FO is not only at least fairly competant (hey, it's still only been one year... just don't want to go too far overboard yet!), but actually do their homework.

I believe Okung is a strong enough pass blocker and can be worked to improve his run blocking and would be a fine fit at LT. Backus could get moved to RT where I believe he's a better fit and Gosder could either remain as depth or compete for a position inside, improving both OT positions. I know value is big with people before the draft, but using hypothetical hindsight I have a hard time believing if Okung has a long (8-12 year), fairly productive (if not necessarily standout) career that includes a couple pro bowls and keeps Stafford from getting killed by the likes of Matthews, Allen and Peppers it'd be hard to say looking back at the pick he wouldn't have been worth #2 overall.

A tradeback to say... #7 and I'd be happy to see either Berry or Trent Williams, but would hesitate to draft either too much higher.

Any lower and I'd prefer to see some scenario that allowed Mayhew to parlay that #2 into either 2 mid-to-late first round picks (I'd be happy to see a Pouncey + Wilson/Nate Allen 1st round) that didn't cost us any later picks, or that left us a 1st roudner in the early/mid 20s but added a 2nd and 3rd rounder.

Lots of ways this draft could fall that I think would make it a solid overall draft for us, even sans Suh, and if nothing else I believe the new regime has earned the benefit of the doubt for at least a little while longer.

April 21st, 2010, 11:11 am
Color Commentator - John Madden

conversion02 wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

Bigger hole at RT and Backus doesn't get enough push in the run game to be effective at OG (IMO only). Sims is adequate, not a world beater, so I wouldn't hand him a starting spot just yet.

I'd rather see Gos move inside, since he's clearly failed outside. I personally feel Gos would be better at OG than Backus and Backus would be better at RT than Gos would.

I totally concur with this statement. I've been wondering during the entire "Move Backus Inside" campaign if he would be able to be a viable option at OG. He struggles enough with bull rushers from the outside, let alone guys that weigh 30-50 lbs more inside. Gos on the other hand is a big dude who can handle bull rushers, but doesn't have quite the quickness to handle outside rushers. Could a line shuffle benefit the Lions? I think so...

LT- Okung (if they would take him)
LG- Sims
C - Raiola
RG- Gos
RT- Backus

April 21st, 2010, 11:20 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Why do people not understand Peterman is our best lineman. Prior to injury he was grading out as a top 15 OG.

April 21st, 2010, 12:00 pm
RIP Killer

Because he has been injured...

April 21st, 2010, 12:01 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I dont want Okung or the line shift, but with the example, if Peterman is healthy and "Our best Olineman" then Gos would be fighting with Sims for the other G spot, it doesnt matter that much.

The point for those saying this is you can have Okung and Backus at LT/RT , Raiola at C, and then have the best 2/healthiest of Peterman, Sims, Gos at G.

I still say we skip the early OT, (maybe draft a project OL or 2 in the 7th) and give Goz 1 more year to work out the suck.

April 21st, 2010, 2:32 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
QB Coach

What I don't understand is all the talk and chatter that we've had on this board about needing to draft defense. "It's defense, that wins championships." We finally have an opportunity to have a Defensive front four that would make Chicago jealous, and people are still talking Okung.

BPA is Suh, and with a nickname like the "Beast" you got to go for it. Pull the trigger, and let's turn Chi-town's QB into a Black and Blue Jay, officially put Farvre in retirement for good, and make GB QB start crappin string cheese!

Unleash the animals!

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

April 21st, 2010, 3:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next