View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 12:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Suh or who? 
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Post Re: Suh or who?
I will be somewhat disappointed if the Lions draft anybody other than Suh.

April 21st, 2010, 4:33 pm
RIP Killer

slybri19 wrote:
I will be somewhat disappointed if the Lions draft anybody other than Suh.

I would be disappointed if Millen was here and drafted anyone but Suh. I don't think he is a better talent evaluator than me (sad to say... but history proves it), but I am open to the new staff being more capable at deciding how the top 5-10 players fall. If they think someone else is a better fit and need I will trust them. They have proven so far that they know more than me.

April 21st, 2010, 4:37 pm
Junior Varsity

DevilDoc wrote:
What I don't understand is all the talk and chatter that we've had on this board about needing to draft defense. "It's defense, that wins championships." We finally have an opportunity to have a Defensive front four that would make Chicago jealous, and people are still talking Okung.

BPA is Suh, and with a nickname like the "Beast" you got to go for it. Pull the trigger, and let's turn Chi-town's QB into a Black and Blue Jay, officially put Farvre in retirement for good, and make GB QB start crappin string cheese!

Unleash the animals!

Well, for the record most of what I see are more hypothetical statements about who to draft if the Rams take Suh and he isn't there at #2. As for the rest:

"Defense win championships" was true 5-10 years ago, but every year the NFL changes rules to give further advantages to the offenses in the name of "player safety". The new catchphrase (which, ironically was jammed down my throat last season about this time) is "quarterback driven league". The unspoken assumption with the last would be: if you have the quarterback to drive you, you might want to protect him so he doesn't get wrecked. IMO it would've been a great idea to build around defense... last draft. They chose not to and after the way Stafford got bounced around last season I still don't see why it would be all bad to actually give him some more help upfront to actually help him succeed.

Secondly, drafting defense doesn't necessarily have to mean 1st round. We did quite well with our defensive picks last season in rounds 2-4 and, with this draft supposedly even deeper as far as defensive prospects there's no reason to believe they can't at least approach that kind of success again this draft. I know it's become the absolute height of blasphemous statements but Suh is not the be-all, end-all of this draft. I mean my God, are people going to start looking for the highest buildings and bridges to fling themselves from if the Rams decide to take him off the board?

Last, while you didn't use this arguement given the tone of your post I figured I'd go ahead and address the following arguement of: "we haven't/need to address the defense!" We have. The irony with all the excitement over Suh to me is that we added a lot of young and/or new to the system players last offseason, including the 3 rookie starters we drafted last year, plus almost as many new additions this offseason; these personnel moves take time to gel. What happens if Suh, if he's there for us at #2 and drafted, doesn't immediately come in and take the league by storm... as so very, very few rookie DTs do? I worry a lot of people are going to want to throw the guy to the wolves if he doesn't start the seaosn with back-to-back 4 sack games.

For the record, I didn't even say I wanted Okung over Suh, and I would also prefer a tradedown over Okung; but I would certainly accept the current regimes decision if they happened to take Okung regardless.

April 21st, 2010, 4:59 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

BPA is what they say! I guess we will find out if they mean it. The only way they don't take Suh, is if he's no longer there. McCoy is not a bad consolation.

April 21st, 2010, 5:02 pm
Cheerleader

Stallion wrote:
Why do people not understand Peterman is our best lineman. Prior to injury he was grading out as a top 15 OG.

I believe this to an extent, i think he is a good RG when healthy, but he needs to stay healthy. I also think Gos played much better (not great) when Peterman was next to him.

I'm good with Suh, McCoy, Okung, even Berry if they think he's worth it.

April 21st, 2010, 8:08 pm
Heisman Winner

loungelion wrote:
Stallion wrote:
Why do people not understand Peterman is our best lineman. Prior to injury he was grading out as a top 15 OG.

I believe this to an extent, i think he is a good RG when healthy, but he needs to stay healthy. I also think Gos played much better (not great) when Peterman was next to him.

I'm good with Suh, McCoy, Okung, even Berry if they think he's worth it.

Ahh how the winds change. Many many posts in prior years definitively stated that Peterman was "garbage".
I think he has that spot covered, at the least. Probably Backus is the best lineman in truth for the moment. I do trust the new staff more, however, than previously. I think with Suh, or Okung, Or Williams, Or McCoy the team will be better. It's almost a no lose position they sit in. Suh/McCoy fills a hole, where the OT does as well, but to a lesser extent. A good trade would be OK as well.

I like the DTs, personally. A solid DL would greatly ugrade the defense from prior years. The Lions won 7 games with good DTs on the roster. That is what I think the young DTs would bring to the table. A DE would be ideal, but there isn't one of those guys at the top this year.

I hope for two DL, a CB and a RB from this draft. That would be a lot of improvement, in my estimation.

April 21st, 2010, 9:41 pm
RIP Killer

Twas the night before the draft and all through Allen Park...

If the Lions stay at #2, it has gotta be Suh. I could understand Okung and could live with it, anything else would have me pretty pissed.

Trade down would be nice.

I'm more excited about pick #34, it's like a "box of chocolates"!

April 22nd, 2010, 12:03 am
Profile WWW
Div 1 - Starter

jrd66 wrote:
I like the DTs, personally. A solid DL would greatly ugrade the defense from prior years. The Lions won 7 games with good DTs on the roster. That is what I think the young DTs would bring to the table. A DE would be ideal, but there isn't one of those guys at the top this year.

You know, you make a good point. With a decent defensive line (Shaun Rogers) they went 7-9 with about the same level of talent or less talent than they have now. With a crappy defensive line they went 2-30. That fact alone almost cries out, "Add Suh or McCoy".

April 22nd, 2010, 1:43 am
Team MVP

Growler wrote:
jrd66 wrote:

You know, you make a good point. With a decent defensive line (Shaun Rogers) they went 7-9 with about the same level of talent or less talent than they have now. With a crappy defensive line they went 2-30. That fact alone almost cries out, "Add Suh or McCoy".

Yes it does!

Its 6:00AM right now, so in about 13.5 hours or so, we as Lions fans should start feeling real good that Suh is on OUR team(i hope)...cant wait!

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 22nd, 2010, 5:58 am
NFL Team Captain

kdsberman wrote:
Growler wrote:
jrd66 wrote:

Yes it does!

Its 6:00AM right now, so in about 13.5 hours or so, we as Lions fans should start feeling real good that Suh is on OUR team(i hope)...cant wait!

Not so fast... I have been hearing rumors that the Rams are in love with Suh. Maybe they are thinking they can get Suh at 1 and Colt McCoy at 33? That would really piss me off, but we'd be in a great position to trade Cleveland.

April 22nd, 2010, 8:14 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

That's why you should never get fixated on one player. If Rams take Suh, at worst we get McCoy. At best we trade to someone that wants the QB, and we get a boatload of picks. It's a can't lose scenario.

April 22nd, 2010, 8:36 am
Hall of Fame Player

DevilDoc wrote:
What I don't understand is all the talk and chatter that we've had on this board about needing to draft defense. "It's defense, that wins championships." We finally have an opportunity to have a Defensive front four that would make Chicago jealous, and people are still talking Okung.

BPA is Suh, and with a nickname like the "Beast" you got to go for it. Pull the trigger, and let's turn Chi-town's QB into a Black and Blue Jay, officially put Farvre in retirement for good, and make GB QB start crappin string cheese!

Unleash the animals!

AMEN :!:

April 22nd, 2010, 10:28 am
RIP Killer

Quote:
Detroit: What if it isn't Suh?
April, 22, 2010
APR 22
11:30
AM ET
Email Print Share
By Kevin Seifert
In these final hours before the NFL draft opens, you would have to look pretty hard to find a media analyst who is convinced the Detroit Lions won't take Nebraska defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh with the No. 2 overall pick. But what if they don't? What if the Lions, led by one of the more mysterious general managers in the league, pull a surprise and look elsewhere?

(That means you, Martin Mayhew.)

What would that mean for the Lions? Who would they pick? Where would that leave the rest of the draft? (Why am I asking so many questions?) Let's consider some possibilities while we await the opening bell:
As we discussed a few weeks ago, many media draft analysts actually favor Oklahoma's Gerald McCoy as a pure prospect. Suh is considered the so-called "safer" choice because of his heavy college production. Still, we've got nothing other than conventional wisdom and peer pressure telling us the Lions rank Suh over McCoy. For all we know, it could be McCoy.
We could be wrong in assuming the Lions aren't factoring in the finances of paying No. 2 money to a defensive tackle. As we noted earlier this offseason, it is one of the game's lowest-paid positions. Let's not totally rule out the possibility that the Lions would look at a left tackle for that reason, even though coach Jim Schwartz has said he is happy with current starter Jeff Backus. Two of the draft's top left tackles visited the Lions' complex: Oklahoma State's Russell Okung and Oklahoma's Trent Williams. No one should be stunned if either were the pick.
If the Lions went with a left tackle instead of Suh or McCoy, it's very possible the rookie would open the season as a reserve. Backus could well remain at left tackle, with newcomer Rob Sims the likely starter at left guard. The Lions are one year removed from giving right guard Stephen Peterman a five-year contract extension. And it seems that right tackle Gosder Cherilus will get one more year to establish himself.
Without Suh or McCoy, the likeliest starting defensive tackle duo would be Corey Williams and Sammie Lee Hill. Unless the Lions trade for Washington defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth, another possible impediment to drafting Suh.
If the Lions draft McCoy, you would figure Tampa Bay will snatch Suh at No. 3. The rest of the draft would be unaffected.
If the choice is Okung or Williams, the draft could get turned on its heels. Either Suh or McCoy could fall as far as Cleveland at No. 7, but probably no further.
Finally, we shouldn't assume the Lions will react to popular sentiment, including that of their own fans. Don't forget that last year, Lions fans were urging them to take linebacker Aaron Curry over quarterback Matthew Stafford.
I'm not trying to shake up any Detroit fans who are lighting by cyberspace in hopes that Suh becomes a Lion this evening. But we should all be realistic and accept that anyone who thinks they absolutely, positively know what's going to happen is either lying, delusional or an NFC North blogger for ESPN.com.

April 22nd, 2010, 12:10 pm
Team MVP

That is a good point about not getting fixed on a single player. But im tellin ya, in all the drafts ive watched and "prepared" for, i dont think ive ever been this nervous/excited as this year. Not only about the #2, but also #34 and #66.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 22nd, 2010, 12:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2