View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 27th, 2014, 11:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Draft Day Thread 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Draft Day Thread
But m2k, those are the exact guys you take at the end of round 1 top of 2. Best is a top ten TALENT but his injuries dropped him back to the end of the first. Same with Wells last year... I think it was a great value to take a chance on a top ten talent kinda guy who may have some injury history.

What is amazing is that everyone talks about his history... but the only one that is really a concern or out of the ordinary is a FREAK concussion that anyone could have had if a defender was a total idiot and pushed him even higher and farther once he hurdled him. Saved him a possible knee or ankle injury...

Minus that freak accident, no one has these concerns with Best because the other injuries were minor and normal for a running back. He only missed 3 games in 3 years because of injuries outside of the FREAK concussion.

Great article here:

http://national-football-league-nfl.sui ... -nfl-draft

April 23rd, 2010, 1:03 pm
RIP Killer

Bills trying to move up for Clausen?
Quote:
Report: Bills trying to land 33rd pick
April, 23, 2010
APR 23
1:25
PM ET
Email Print Share
By Tim Graham
Everybody figured breaking up the draft into three days, including a night for teams to reset their draft boards in between the first and second rounds, would stimulate more trade action.

Teams would see a player they really want still available and make a move to get him.

The Buffalo Bills are one of those teams, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Schefter reports the Bills and Cleveland Browns have contacted the St. Louis Rams about Friday night's first selection, the 33rd overall.

On Thursday night, Schefter reported the Bills wanted to draft Florida quarterback Tim Tebow, but the Denver Broncos swooped in and drafted him in the 25th slot.

The Bills need a quarterback, and two big names are there for the picking: Notre Dame's Jimmy Clausen and Texas' Colt McCoy.

April 23rd, 2010, 1:34 pm
RIP Killer

Anyone think we can trade up and get Kindle? He shouldn't still be on the board...

April 23rd, 2010, 1:40 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

ALl the rest of our picks combined wouldnt get us high enough to get Kindle. That said , he is a 3-4 Rush OLB type, not an 4-3 LB type, and I wouldnt want him even if he feel to us at #66. No interest at all.

April 23rd, 2010, 1:42 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
RIP Killer

Anyone think Charles Brown or Rodger Saffold could be traded up for too?

April 23rd, 2010, 1:44 pm
RIP Killer

Top ten left of the rest:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/lists/cfn- ... ard-042210

April 23rd, 2010, 1:54 pm
Site Admin

m2karateman wrote:
[
Those were Millen picks, so most all of them are gone. Delmas was a second round defensive pick, how you feelin' about him? Was that a mistake?
I agree, the draft IS a pure gamble. And the fact is, you occasionally have to gamble on the player you're targeting not being there and have a backup plan.

Yeah but you were not mister Delmas last year either though and I felt the Lions had a productive draft last year with the new staff. You would have rather had Alphonso Smith who has been a big dissappointment out in Denver thus far. Definately no sure bets.

I completely respect if you don't like the pick or the trade up but I am saying that 1) they didn't give up much and 2) his major concussion fall would have given anyone at LEAST a concussion if not much more. Watching the guys footage gets me fired up and he is exciting as hell and can catch the ball even real deep. Bottom line, I will have a real hard time missing any games with this kid in the backfield...call me a sucker :D

April 23rd, 2010, 2:11 pm
Profile WWW
Stats Boy

Guys,

Two things:

1) Jahvid Best is not a top ten talent, even without his concussion/injury history. He is a smaller back that cannot carry the football 20-25 times a game. You can argue that CJ Spiller is a similar size back, but I really don't think that he should have been a top ten pick either. Even the great Chris Johnson wasn't drafted until the end of round 1. If you are honestly evaluating the player, J. Best is an early second round talent.

2) The Lions did give up a lot to move up to draft Best. Moving down in round 4 hurts, but that is not the worst of it. The Lions gave up a chance to trade down in the 2nd round with someone that covets Jimmy Clausen, Sergio Kindle, Colt McCoy, Terence Cody, etc. These trades will certainly be available, netting extra picks for the Rams, Vikings, or any other team that takes advantage of this situation. The 34th pick will likely net you a later second rounder and a 3rd. That's too starters this year in exchange for Jahvid Best.

I ask you, would you rather have Jahvid Best or Rodger Saffold and Brandon Ghee. What about Everson Griffen and Javier Arenas? We just traded one starter for two. Period.

April 23rd, 2010, 2:50 pm
RIP Killer

FargoFan wrote:
Guys,

Two things:

1) Jahvid Best is not a top ten talent, even without his concussion/injury history. He is a smaller back that cannot carry the football 20-25 times a game. You can argue that CJ Spiller is a similar size back, but I really don't think that he should have been a top ten pick either. Even the great Chris Johnson wasn't drafted until the end of round 1. If you are honestly evaluating the player, J. Best is an early second round talent.

2) The Lions did give up a lot to move up to draft Best. Moving down in round 4 hurts, but that is not the worst of it. The Lions gave up a chance to trade down in the 2nd round with someone that covets Jimmy Clausen, Sergio Kindle, Colt McCoy, Terence Cody, etc. These trades will certainly be available, netting extra picks for the Rams, Vikings, or any other team that takes advantage of this situation. The 34th pick will likely net you a later second rounder and a 3rd. That's too starters this year in exchange for Jahvid Best.

I ask you, would you rather have Jahvid Best or Rodger Saffold and Brandon Ghee. What about Everson Griffen and Javier Arenas? We just traded one starter for two. Period.

Outside of injury, no one agrees his talent puts him in round two. That is just silly. You are throwing what if's out like they were almost for certains. If you honestly evaluate the talent, Best is a early first round talent if not top ten and you can't not take a guy because you might maybe get to trade back and pick up tons of picks. We need top guys, not tons of middle round picks.

April 23rd, 2010, 3:01 pm
RIP Killer

slybri19 wrote:
I hate the fact that we have to wait until 6 PM for the draft to start again. I miss the noon and 11 AM starts. :(

I know that #66 is a long ways away and Mayhew could still wheel and deal, but I'm going to predict that their next pick will be CB Brandon Ghee.

It's 3:00 for me ;)

April 23rd, 2010, 3:07 pm
RIP Killer

theAlphaMale wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
[
Those were Millen picks, so most all of them are gone. Delmas was a second round defensive pick, how you feelin' about him? Was that a mistake?
I agree, the draft IS a pure gamble. And the fact is, you occasionally have to gamble on the player you're targeting not being there and have a backup plan.

Yeah but you were not mister Delmas last year either though and I felt the Lions had a productive draft last year with the new staff. You would have rather had Alphonso Smith who has been a big dissappointment out in Denver thus far. Definately no sure bets.

I completely respect if you don't like the pick or the trade up but I am saying that 1) they didn't give up much and 2) his major concussion fall would have given anyone at LEAST a concussion if not much more. Watching the guys footage gets me fired up and he is exciting as hell and can catch the ball even real deep. Bottom line, I will have a real hard time missing any games with this kid in the backfield...call me a sucker :D

What you say is true, I did want the Lions to go after Alfonso Smith. But more than that, I wanted them to pursue trade downs. In reality, I wanted the Lions to go after Darius Butler first, but I figured he would be off the board by the top of round one. He was the CB I really wanted, even more than Vontae Davis. I actually wanted the Lions to use the #20 pick on Butler. And by the way, although he received some accolades as a rookie, I still think Delmas is getting overhyped. Good hitter, decent tackler, but not strong in coverage, where the Lions need it most. We'll see how he does this season.

I realize that on the surface the Lions didn't give up much. However, the move down in round four is a little significant because of where the talent pool starts to bleed out in this draft. There is still some very decent talent around the 100-110 mark, in my opinion. But it dies out quickly after that. Maybe a player will fall to the Lions we didn't expect. That would be nice. Also, as alluded to by other posters, the biggest problem is that the Lions would have had a GOLDEN opportunity to now trade down and pick up additional picks.

I don't dislike Best. As I said, I feel he has first round talent. I just don't think he was the best pick for this team at that spot. I am of the opinion the Lions need a back to wear down defenses and control the clock moreso than the so called "home run hitter" that Best represents.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

April 23rd, 2010, 3:08 pm
Stats Boy

Don't kid yourself, his injury history is not the only reason he was available at #30. He is a smaller back who is better served in a third down role. I really do hope that I'm wrong, but I expect he will struggle as a small back behind this O-line.

We can all watch the 2nd round develop and you can tell me if we would have been able to capitalize by trading down. To be clear, the 2nd round will be full of players that I would rather have than Jahvid Best. Here is a short list of players that would have been better picks than Best:

Everson Griffen
Rodger Saffold
Nate Allen
Charles Brown
Daryl Washington
Brandon Ghee

April 23rd, 2010, 3:13 pm
RIP Killer

At this point it is an opinion thing. Obviously many valued him as a first round talent, they said so. I don't think anyone can honestly question that. If someone thinks he isn't durable enough or big enough... once again, opinion. But NFL scouts and experts said he was probably the best back in the draft and one would have to admit that if he didn't have a concussion that he would have gone higher.

April 23rd, 2010, 3:36 pm
Peanut and Beer Salesman

dont forget the possiblity of trading a 2nd next yr for a pick in this yrs 2nd. the pats love to trade into future drafts. There is no way they use all of those picks this yr. They dont have the room on their roster for all of them.

April 23rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
RIP Killer

All I can say is wow...

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... -ratings/1

Quote:
NFL draft topped NBA playoffs in TV ratings
03:01 PM
Yahoo! Buzz
ShareE-mailSavePrint

12Comments
Recommend
This is not good news for the NBA. Preliminary ratings show that television viewers preferred watching NFL prospects walk to a podium last night over seeing NBA postseason baskebtall action.

According to Bloomberg, ESPN's coverage of the NFL draft outdrew the two NBA playoffs on TNT last night. An ESPN spokesman said the draft was seen in 5.4% of households in the top 56 U.S. markets. A TNT rep said the Cavaliers-Bulls game had a 2.1 rating, and the later Lakers-Thunder playoff earned a 3.0.

Those are all preliminary numbers. An Associated Press story this afternoon said the overnight ESPN number was 5.47. But the draft also was shown on NFL Network, where AP says it drew a 0.95 rating, for a combined total of 6.42.

Anyway you cut it, that's a rough night for the NBA, considering it had superstars LeBron James and Kobe Bryant playing.

April 23rd, 2010, 4:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next