View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 21st, 2014, 5:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
 Draft Day Thread 
Color Commentator - John Madden

Post Re: Draft Day Thread
When I saw that the Lions moved up i thought it was going to be Patrick Robinson. When I saw Best on the phone I was a little ticked.

The way I'm approaching it is that we weren't going to fix everything in this draft. At 66 they can still get a guy like Ghee, Cox, Arenas, or Owusu-Ansah. In the fourth, maybe they can grab the guy they think can play LB in that system. Either way I think we're sitting OK, but I don't like having to trade up to get Best. He probably would have been there at 34 w/o having to give up anything.

I'm concerned about Best's health, but for the first time since Barry we've got a RB with speed. I'm cool with that.

April 22nd, 2010, 11:27 pm
Stats Boy

Better moves than trading up to get Best:

1. Stay put and trade down on day 2. With Kindle and Jimmy Clausen still available there should be teams trying to move up.
2. Trade up for Kyle WIlson
3. Stay put and take the best player available. Likely Best or Everson Griffen, possibly Rodger Saffold (sp).

Whether you like Best or not, you have to see that trading up to get him doesn't make a lot of sense. He likely would have been there at #34. If not, you simply take one of the other great players that is sitting there for you. No need to swap fourth round picks. I agree with M2K, that drop in the fourth is significant. There will be a lot of good football players available early in the fourth that won't be there at the end.

April 22nd, 2010, 11:29 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

I think Pacman is a strong possibility. But no to Spikes. Hopefully, they can parlay the pick at 66 into two.

April 22nd, 2010, 11:33 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

Only if they can get another fourth. I just see the Best move as one of desperation and possibly the move of someone who got hoodwinked. If the kid stays healthy then sweet, I'm just concerned about the WLB and second CB. Whether that ends up being Pacman I'm not sure. If they don't take a CB in the third then the possibility gets a whole lot greater.

April 22nd, 2010, 11:45 pm
RIP Killer

m2karateman wrote:
steensn wrote:
Great move. Swap 4thsand a 7th for a great RB. Score. We didn't lose much. They didn't think he'd last. Security is worth. That.

He's only great if he can stay on the field. How much productivity do you expect from Best behind this offensive line?

Yeah, very true. But obviously the Lions thought he could stay healthy enough in a RB by Committee situation to be dangerous. I totally agree and think that Best, Smith, and Brown make one heck of a dangerous RB corps. Once again, "if he can stay healthy" is an opinion that he won't be.

April 23rd, 2010, 12:10 am
Varsity Benchwarmer

steensn wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
steensn wrote:
Great move. Swap 4thsand a 7th for a great RB. Score. We didn't lose much. They didn't think he'd last. Security is worth. That.

He's only great if he can stay on the field. How much productivity do you expect from Best behind this offensive line?

Yeah, very true. But obviously the Lions thought he could stay healthy enough in a RB by Committee situation to be dangerous. I totally agree and think that Best, Smith, and Brown make one heck of a dangerous RB corps. Once again, "if he can stay healthy" is an opinion that he won't be.

The only problem i have with Smith/Best/Brown committee is that we dont have a power RB who can run inside and pick up short yards.

April 23rd, 2010, 12:14 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

I don't think Best was a desperation pick, they must of really wanted him or they wouldn't be calling a division rival. I don't see them taking a corner just for the sake of taking a corner with the 66 pick. O-line depth, possibly a LB, personally I'd like a DE.

April 23rd, 2010, 12:17 am
RIP Killer

Perhaps not, but do we need that? Is that what we want? Maybe they are relying on Felton now for short yardage? I know he hasn't been given a chance to run or showed that he even can... but he could fill a short yardage roll.

April 23rd, 2010, 12:22 am
RIP Killer

I'm amazed that Minny didn't stick and take Clausen. Someone will be working a deal tonight to snoop into the Rams spot to nab him and Minny might lose out. Maybe they are plotting a swap with the Rams to get him anyways. That would be a freaking amazing deal for Minny to move back into the second and still get freaking Clausen.

April 23rd, 2010, 12:36 am
RIP Killer

And once again, a stud falls to GB...

April 23rd, 2010, 12:37 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Personally, I think that the Lions panicked. They probably had a few guys like Kareem Jackson, Devin McCourty, Jahvid Best, and another player or two that they hoped would fall to #34, but everyone except Best was gone by #30. Therefore, they moved up to ensure that they got one of their targeted players. I could be wrong, but that's the only scenario that makes sense to me since I believe Best would have still been there at #34.

April 23rd, 2010, 12:38 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I would not be surprised if our draft goes something like this tomorrow.
66-CB Perrish Cox
128-LB AJ Edds
7-FB Jon Conner
7-FS Chris Maragos
7-CB Troney Shumpert

April 23rd, 2010, 12:39 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

Hope not, Cox is slow, and is a character concern.

April 23rd, 2010, 12:50 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

slybri19 wrote:
Personally, I think that the Lions panicked. They probably had a few guys like Kareem Jackson, Devin McCourty, Jahvid Best, and another player or two that they hoped would fall to #34, but everyone except Best was gone by #30. Therefore, they moved up to ensure that they got one of their targeted players. I could be wrong, but that's the only scenario that makes sense to me since I believe Best would have still been there at #34.

I do not think they panicked. I believe that if they were at #34 with Kyle Wilson and Best staring them in the face they would have still taken Best. I have heard the Colts were going to take him and the Saints and Minny were both considering it so trading up to get your guy for 6th round value is IMO a good move.

After pick #8 this draft went kinda crazy. I do not think McClain was a reach becuase I had him highly rated. It is possibly the best pick the old man has made in a while. I really like Tyson Aluala but that was a reach and I really do not get the fit in that defense. I liked what the 49ers did in the draft but the big winners IMO are the Packers and Dolphins. The big loser IMO is Denver. Tebow and Thomas both have a high bust rate IMO.

April 23rd, 2010, 12:53 am
Junior Varsity

steensn wrote:
And once again, a stud falls to GB...

Wait, did GB trade back up into the first round and grab someone else? All I saw was the Packers grab Backus 2.0... I mean, Bulaga. That move was about as happy as I got since we drafted Suh at #2, knowing instead of getting a shutdown CB they got him instead, might as well have drafted a red carpet for KvB, Suh, Williams and Avril to run over on the way to Rodgers.... :wink:
:cheers:

April 23rd, 2010, 12:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next